Blowout Cards Forums
2023 Football

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
daviswr7

Default Is Topps losing its Star Wars License?

I was at my local CS today and the owner said Topps was losing their license for Star Wars cards at the end of the year? Anyone know if this is true. The owner isn't wrong often so I would imagine it's true...it would also make since do to the 3 star wars products in about 8 months (legacy, files2, and illistrated), might be rushing product out cause it's their last chance......any info is welcome, thanks!
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
nabzy28

Well now, that'd make for one hell of a bidding war with 3 new movies on the horizon... First I've heard of it but, I imagine the contract is up at some point.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Brobocop

Not that I think it would happen, but could you imagine Cryptozoic getting their hands on this one? On-card autographs, costume pieces, all that jazz? I think they could do a heck of a lot better job than Topps, Panini, or Upper Deck. A boy can dream, a boy can dream.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Spider-Fan

When the franchise was first acquired by Disney a couple months ago I heard that Dark Horse was losing the comic license at the end of this year. Wouldn't surprise me (or upset me) to hear Topps is losing the trading card license. Although Topps having the license made it easy for me not to buy... things could get costly for me if it acquired by somebody good
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Andrew Jones

Other than Panini, no company could come close to paying what Topps has/will. If Panini gets the license, everyone will miss Topps within a year.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
nabzy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Not that I think it would happen, but could you imagine Cryptozoic getting their hands on this one? On-card autographs, costume pieces, all that jazz? I think they could do a heck of a lot better job than Topps, Panini, or Upper Deck. A boy can dream, a boy can dream.

I can imagine it. However, I cannot imagine them locating enough money to make it even close. The sad part is, I believe the only competition could come in the form of... ugh... Panini. Who the heck else has the funds to purchase franchise rights to that property? Maybe Disney will keep it in house. It is convenient that Eisner, former CEO, owns Topps though...
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
spacefanmick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Other than Panini, no company could come close to paying what Topps has/will. If Panini gets the license, everyone will miss Topps within a year.
I can assure you I will never miss Topps. They have screwed me and I'm sure many many others out of valuable redemptions. To bad really,they used to be #1 now they are NUMBER TWO(if you get my hidden meaning:-)
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
ViceroyCards

Quote:
We're saving our pennies to try!

No but seriously... one issue is Disney has a strict policy of only granting licensing rights to companies who have been in business, in the specific market applied, for at least 5 years. This would seem to put Cryptozoic out of the running, but you never know.

The other issue is the trading card sales are such a tiny percentage of overall Star Wars licensing, that Disney could either not care much and just leave it as is, or blow it up and start with fresh deals.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Andrew Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
I can assure you I will never miss Topps. They have screwed me and I'm sure many many others out of valuable redemptions. To bad really,they used to be #1 now they are NUMBER TWO(if you get my hidden meaning:-)
How many Star Wars redemptions has Topps screwed you on? I'm guessing zero. If Panini gets the license, they'll flood the market and kill the secondary value of SW cards. Not to mention the standard several redemption cards per case Panini churns out in almost every product it produces.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Tim

I would love to see UD get it. Say what you want, but their QC, customer service and content in their non-sports are stellar. While Topps' content is strong (other than the cel cards) across most of their non-sports products, their QC and customer service are not only the worst in our hobby but the worst I have ever encountered.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
aggie4ever

The only rumor I've heard is that Topps would lose the license because Disney would keep the sets in-house... then they wouldn't hire outside artists to do the sketch cards, and would have their own artists do them. Who knows what the truth is, but it does seem like Topps is trying to fit in a bunch of sets this year, which would point to them thinking or knowing they are losing the license.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
justice41
Banned

All the Marvel Licenses are going the way of the Dodo as well.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
The only rumor I've heard is that Topps would lose the license because Disney would keep the sets in-house... then they wouldn't hire outside artists to do the sketch cards, and would have their own artists do them. Who knows what the truth is, but it does seem like Topps is trying to fit in a bunch of sets this year, which would point to them thinking or knowing they are losing the license.
They won't pay their artists salaries to do sketch cards when they can more easily pay us less.

I really don't think Topps is going to lose the license. No offense to the OP's LCS owner, but I doubt he has any inside information. Interest in Star Wars is the highest since the prequels right now, it only makes sense that Topps jumps on this.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
daviswr7

I am highly skeptical, but the owner is quite reliable when it comes to info in this arena. I'm just passing the information on. The owner said they had heard Disney was going to keep it in-house..? not quite sure what that means but I guess well see...
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
Nicnac

If this is true, I guess I have to say buh-bye to them finishing the original trilogy 3di set. ;(
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
spacefanmick

Quote:
How many Star Wars redemptions has Topps screwed you on? I'm guessing zero. If Panini gets the license, they'll flood the market and kill the secondary value of SW cards. Not to mention the standard several redemption cards per case Panini churns out in almost every product it produces.
I don't like redemptions period.All I'm saying is this:
I've had 6 redemptions total.
2 from Upper Deck. First one received in a timely manner. Second one they had to give me a replacement,a representative of the company called me personally,asked my favorite team. And sent me a nice card from a top player.
2 from Goodwin Champions,both received within 2 months
3 from Topps.One still have nothing after 1 1/2 year wait. The other two,after another 1 1/2 year wait I was given a $5 card in place of a $250(or more) card. The company ignored over 100 emails. And what few times I did get through on the phone,they were no help whatsoever.
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
baytowntex

i was surprised when they let the lord of the rings go. I wish Topps was doing the Hobbit set. I will be surprised if they dont get the contract to Star Wars again. Upper Deck does the Disney Treasures set so I wouldnt mind them getting the license.
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
Nicnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I would love to see UD get it. Say what you want, but their QC, customer service and content in their non-sports are stellar. While Topps' content is strong (other than the cel cards) across most of their non-sports products, their QC and customer service are not only the worst in our hobby but the worst I have ever encountered.
What on earth LOL.

UD customer service is awful. They have, perhaps, 3 people handling replacements and redemptions.

Non sport content is abysmal. Thor, Captain America, and on and on, awful top level chases leading to rapid decline in prices in sealed boxes and cases.

Last edited by Nicnac; 07-14-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
Spider-Fan

From a content perspective the only real problem with UD is their ability to get autographs.

Interesting you put 'Avengers' on that list. You must be referring to KSW, because the Avengers Assemble movie set was one of the hottest sets of the year. Sealed boxes sold for well over the MSRP.

I would be very excited if UD were to get the sets, if I didn't fear the list of signers would quickly deteriorate.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

I would be very excited if UD were to get the sets, if I didn't fear the list of signers would quickly deteriorate.
If UD got the Star Wars license, you'd never see another SW sketch card from me again. They may put out some nice looking products but their business dealings are reprehensible.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #21
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
If UD got the Star Wars license, you'd never see another SW sketch card from me again. They may put out some nice looking products but their business dealings are reprehensible.
Fair point. I'm thinking about overall highly collectable sets, not sketches specifically. Fact of the matter is that highly desirable pulls represent only a small portion of the sketch cards that get packed out by either company. Two years ago I would have said UD sketches were really above average in the industry, but their reprehensible business dealings have had their impact.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
jadams
Inactive Account

Just saying UD has poor business practices isn't fair. In the past yes. But they are working to make changes for the better for the sketchcard artists. Do they slow pay sometimes?

For instance. Cryptozoic is claiming cash poor and guys haven't gotten paid for sets released in November. And you pretty much need to be a part of the good ol boy network to play with them.

I've done 4 or 5 Star Wars sets for Topps. And haven't gotten a comp box yet. In fact, for Galactic Files (released in October of 2012) it took almost 6 months to get my return cards back. All the while, not everyone sends theirs in and can benefit from the set being hot right out of the gate. But, it's in the contract everyone signs to send them in.

All companies have warts, no question. And it's personal choice who you decide to work for or collect, but don't do yourself a disservice over something that you heard happen 4 or 5 years ago.

Stuff changes, often for the worse, but sometimes for the better. Keep an open mind and remember, all the negative crap you hear is more than likely dwarfed by the good stuff no one talks about.

\off
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Keep an open mind and remember, all the negative crap you hear is more than likely dwarfed by the good stuff no one talks about.
Very true. I base my statement on UD stuff deteriorating based primarily observations of the UD MB2, MB3 and IM3 breaks which I think have provided generally inferior sketches as compared to the Avengers, Thor, Cap and MB1 breaks. They weren't 1 sketch per box releases, but the sketches sure were above average (in general, of course there were dogs in the mix). UDs artist roster has changed over that time, which I assume is generally because of their business practices which have often been brought to light - but I don't know why each individual has left.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #24
justice41
Banned

getting crap from them and paying 1.50 a card will tend to do that.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Just saying UD has poor business practices isn't fair. In the past yes. But they are working to make changes for the better for the sketchcard artists. Do they slow pay sometimes?

For instance. Cryptozoic is claiming cash poor and guys haven't gotten paid for sets released in November. And you pretty much need to be a part of the good ol boy network to play with them.

I've done 4 or 5 Star Wars sets for Topps. And haven't gotten a comp box yet. In fact, for Galactic Files (released in October of 2012) it took almost 6 months to get my return cards back. All the while, not everyone sends theirs in and can benefit from the set being hot right out of the gate. But, it's in the contract everyone signs to send them in.

All companies have warts, no question. And it's personal choice who you decide to work for or collect, but don't do yourself a disservice over something that you heard happen 4 or 5 years ago.

Stuff changes, often for the worse, but sometimes for the better. Keep an open mind and remember, all the negative crap you hear is more than likely dwarfed by the good stuff no one talks about.

\off
Issues with UD go beyond my professional dealings with the company. They just do a lot of things that they don't answer for that, as a collector who spends his hard earned money on this stuff, I can't ignore. Until I see them either apologizing or doing something to right their wrongs, my stance won't change.

Time alone doesn't heal all wounds. Ripping off artists, collectors and business partners doesn't sound like a business model that I can ignore 5 years from now.