Blowout Cards Forums
NFL Draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
eldavojohn

Default Cryptozoic Archer Cards?

So I recently discovered that in 2013 Cryptozoic is going to release Archer cards. I am a huge fan of this show and its artwork!

So I've never bought a Cryptozoic product and was wondering what their quality is like? Does anyone have anymore information on this product aside from that it will have sketch cards?
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Nicnac

search the forums for "Walking Dead"
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
SerialKilnWalkr

Lol..............When Cryptozoic puts up more information about the product on their site we will have it up here.

Pretty much this is all that is out there right now...

http://www.cryptozoic.com/blogs/phil...-show-saturday
Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Spider-Fan

If by "quality" you mean the physical integrity of the products, the quality of Cryptozoic stuff is fine.

If you mean collectability, contents, ability to get top name autos, etc... well then we will need more info on this particular set but Cryptozoic TV/Movie releases have all been pretty good - Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory in particular were very popular
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
If by "quality" you mean the physical integrity of the products, the quality of Cryptozoic stuff is fine.
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I'm super concerned that these cards will make an adequate motor sound when I clip them to my bicycle frame so that they flip when struck by the spokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
If you mean collectability, contents, ability to get top name autos, etc... well then we will need more info on this particular set but Cryptozoic TV/Movie releases have all been pretty good - Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory in particular were very popular
Yeah that's part of it. Another part of it is how they do when selecting shots, card text, characters and actually understanding a show. I know that the Walking Dead card series is popular but I don't watch the show nor have I bought the cards. Therefore I don't know if the cards did the show justice or the show is just so goddamn popular that anything with a Walking Dead license will sell.

To give you an example, I just bought a box of Indiana Jones Heritage. It was great that I got an autograph of some extra but as I read through the cards, I noticed that the card titles were really cheesy. Maybe that's the spirit of the movies -- I don't know. But a coworker passed out Terminator 2 cards from the 90s and we all got a laugh out of how terrible the cards were. You would think that the movie was made for children the way these cards were written.

Conversely, Archer is a very adult show and it has a very specific type of humor. Is Cryptozoic capable of hitting this? Will we see a "Just the Tip" insert set? Will they actually watch the series and capture the spirit of it like the Archer book did? Well, that's what I was hoping people who collect Cryptozoic's other sets could tell me about. Did they dumb down The Walking Dead in their cards? Did they miss the mark with Big Bang Theory? I can't tell that by reading the flurry of posts about trading card titles and rare chase cards.

Apparently, this forum is only good for a "lol" and "Crytpozoic can make 90 degree angled cards." Duly noted.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Nicnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Conversely, Archer is a very adult show and it has a very specific type of humor. Is Cryptozoic capable of hitting this? Will we see a "Just the Tip" insert set? Will they actually watch the series and capture the spirit of it like the Archer book did? Well, that's what I was hoping people who collect Cryptozoic's other sets could tell me about. Did they dumb down The Walking Dead in their cards? Did they miss the mark with Big Bang Theory? I can't tell that by reading the flurry of posts about trading card titles and rare chase cards.

Apparently, this forum is only good for a "lol" and "Crytpozoic can make 90 degree angled cards." Duly noted.
But that's the whole point. If Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory were bad products, you would know it in the threads about those products. They are both, actually, very good products which is why, overwhelmingly, people are posting amazing breaks and getting congratulated for them.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
But that's the whole point. If Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory were bad products, you would know it in the threads about those products. They are both, actually, very good products which is why, overwhelmingly, people are posting amazing breaks and getting congratulated for them.
Well, I must be reading the wrong break threads. I understand the chase cards are well received and highly sought but I thought I made it clear in my post I was asking about base and inserts. Those are being talked about at length in posts? I must be reading the wrong posts. Also, is it really Cryptozoic that makes this product great or is it simply a great show making a mediocre product hot?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
sdoug76
Banned

Avoid them. Thier ya go,
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
SerialKilnWalkr

Last edited by SerialKilnWalkr; 01-10-2013 at 02:15 PM.
SerialKilnWalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
monkeymcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
Troll thread?
How so? OP asked a question, didn't find the responses helpful and then clarified what he was asking.

We throw the "troll" word around too easily around here.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
Troll thread?
Oh no, I think I'm just on the wrong forum, later guys.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
rocketfan86

my wife and i enjoy the show and will probably pick up a few boxes when it does come out. It seems to be a niche product seeing as a couple million people watch the show at the most. We dont get FX; we dont have cable but we have bought all the season blu-rays thus far.

if cryptozoic can procure some autographs of the voice actors, then we would really enjoy the set.

Collecting all Houston Rockets players, current and former.
rocketfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
BengalsJayhawks

I think Cryptozoic did a fantastic job with the Walking Dead. The base set seemed on point and didnt appear cheesy. They did leave out a few thing but I believe it was more of a licensing issue using actors that they didnt get the rights too. Such as Otis & Randall. The autograph cards and wardrobe cards were done extremely well. I would have faith in a quality release for Archer as well. Im excited for the upcoming Psych set myself.
BengalsJayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I'm super concerned that these cards will make an adequate motor sound when I clip them to my bicycle frame so that they flip when struck by the spokes.
First of all, there are plenty of cards made today that are just not high quality. There are still companies around that are using less than 20 pt stock and have problems with centering, clean cuts, etc... Cryptozoic is not one of them.

Quote:
I don't know if the cards did the show justice or the show is just so goddamn popular that anything with a Walking Dead license will sell.

To give you an example, I just bought a box of Indiana Jones Heritage. It was great that I got an autograph of some extra but as I read through the cards, I noticed that the card titles were really cheesy. Maybe that's the spirit of the movies -- I don't know. But a coworker passed out Terminator 2 cards from the 90s and we all got a laugh out of how terrible the cards were. You would think that the movie was made for children the way these cards were written.

I have found that the base cards for all movie/tv sets are poorly done, in my opinion, and its the subset/chase cards that drive the value and collectability of the sets.

If the Archer base set is made up of cards that recap the episodes, I expect it to be pretty terrible. If they do something original for the card set, it will probably be good. Chances are they won't be good for anything besides flipping through your bicycle spokes.

Your example is my point. Cryptozoic is known for doing TV sets and being able to get the autos for the stars of the show, not just rando extras that nobody cares about. For Big Bang, they got all the main characters - Penny, Leonard, Sheldon, Raj, Howard. The set wouldn't have had so much steam if the auto collection was missing Sheldon and Penny. There are companies that are notorious for not being able to get the "big names" to do the autos. Upper Deck probably leads that pack in that area.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
t2554

I'm only interested in collecting hits but I'll be keeping an eye on this set. I think voice actor autos would really elevate this set. I'm not sure there would be enough value here as only a sketch-per-box set, but it's too early to judge the product without seeing any of it first lol.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
Nicnac

You guys do realize the OP got in a huff, took his ball, and went home, right?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
You guys do realize the OP got in a huff, took his ball, and went home, right?
1) HA! That guy is still checking.

2) The thread isn't just for the guy that started it. There is a thread out there titled "Cryptozoic Archer Cards" that every person that is interested in Cyrptozoic Archer Cards is going to read so why should we stop discussing them just because one guy claims to have left the conversation?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
BengalsJayhawks

Heres some updated info

Archer Trading Cards - The First Details | Cryptozoic Entertainment

Last edited by BengalsJayhawks; 01-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
BengalsJayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Spider-Fan

Sounds like it could be extremely awesome. Fake relic cards Hilarious!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
Incarnadine

Ooh, it sounds like it might just do the show justice, they state the set will be rated "M for Mature"

It definitely sounds like it's going for the adult market with chase sets called:

Welcome to Whore Island
Inappropriate Workplace Moments
Sterling Archer's Spy (Just the) Tips

I just love the fake wardrobe cards and the clever "Totally Fabricated" name for them.

I hope for good autographs and that they allow "M" rated sketches for this.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #21
justice41
Banned

I hope I get asked to do sketch cards. if so gotta start watching the toon.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post

I hope for good autographs and that they allow "M" rated sketches for this.
I would expect 'no nudity' for pack inserted sketches, but they might approve nudity for AP cards (or redemption cards, if they do that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41
I hope I get asked to do sketch cards. if so gotta start watching the toon.
I'm pretty sure you can watch it on Netflix. Its worth it - totally hilarious. I'd love to pull one of your cards from this set
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
SerialKilnWalkr

Arrow Cryptozoic Archer Trading Cards Fall 2013

Archer Trading Cards Seasons 1-4

FX's cable hit, Archer, becomes collectible! Now you can learn to be an ISIS agent as you collect Sterling Archer’s Spy Tips (Tactleneck not included), Pam's Inappropriate Workplace Moments, and your very own Welcome to Whore Island guide. Look for randomly inserted autograph cards from the very talented cast.

Product Details

Release Date: Fall 2013
Packs: 5 Cards per Pack, 24 Packs per Box
MSRP: $3.50
Base Set: 72 card base set featuring episodic images from the first 4 seasons
Chase Sets: Sterling Archer’s Spy (Just the) Tips, Innapropriate Workplace Moments, and Welcome to Whore Island (all 2:24)
Inserts: Autograph, Sketch, and Totally Fabricated cards

Last edited by SerialKilnWalkr; 03-29-2013 at 05:53 PM.
SerialKilnWalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
SerialKilnWalkr

Thumbs up Archer Trading Cards - The First Details

By Miranda Anderson
08 Jan 2013

There is an upcoming set that I've been very excited to start talking about because we are looking to do a lot of really fun things with it, and it's the Archer Trading Cards! We first announced the license at the Fall Philly Non-Sports Card Show, and we were very pleased to get so many positive reactions. But there have been a lot of questions from fans about the set regarding content. So, now that we are a little further along in the product development cycle, with some things approved by the licensor, we are finally ready to spill the beans, or some of them at least!

The base set will feature episodic images from Seasons 1 – 4, with nine cards dedicated to each of the main characters: Archer, Lana, Malory, Carol Cheryl, Pam, Krieger, and Woodhouse. Instead of retelling the story of the show, as most base sets attempt to do, I decided to focus on some of the best moments for each character to offer a different experience for the collectors and highlight the hilarity of the characters.

The chase sets include, "Welcome to Whore Island," "Inappropriate Workplace Moments," and "Sterling Archer's Spy (Just the) Tips." That being said, I think it should be very clear to everyone that this set will be rated M for Mature. But, we are really having fun coming up with a set that is very authentic to the humor of the show, and I really hope everyone who is looking forward to this set will have really good time looking through all the cards and reliving some of their favorite moments!

Sketch cards will be included (on average 1:24 packs), and George has been working very hard to get some amazing artists on the set, including some of the folks that work on the show. We'll announce some of the artists a bit later (after we get cards back in house), but this should be another great line-up.

I'm really excited for an insert that we just got approvals to include: completely-fake wardrobe cards entitled, “Totally Fabricated,” (this awesome name is thanks to the very talented designer working on the set, John Vineyard!). Fans will now be able to collect pieces of material that were not used in production, such as:
  • Archer's Slightly Darker Black Tactleneck
  • Pam's Dolphin Puppet
  • Lana's Knockoff Fiachi Lingerie
  • Archer's Ping-Pong Paddle

We are also working to include authentic, card-signed Autograph cards in the set! We are really excited to include Autographs for some of the very talented cast that work on the show, and will announce signers as soon as we have actual cards back in house. Insert ratios are still to be determined.

Because we are including Season 4 in the set, which is scheduled to air starting January 17th, we are looking to release this set Fall 2013. Be sure to check back with us for more information and card images!

-Miranda

Archer Trading Cards - The First Details | Cryptozoic Entertainment
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #25
Ronin

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote