2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
gonzagacubs

Default Panarin and Hjalmarsson Traded

Hjalmarsson to Phoenix

Panarin to Columbus with Saad coming back to Chicago.

Disappointed. So so disappointed right now.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Wolves4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagacubs View Post
Hjalmarsson to Phoenix

Panarin to Columbus with Saad coming back to Chicago.

Disappointed. So so disappointed right now.
Saad had good years with Columbus but his best was with Chicago mainly cause he had the Toews or Kane connection/help. Same with Panarin. Now let's see how Panarin does on his own without 1 or the other on his line.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Soxrule111

Not a fan of it. I like niklas more than Keith and seabrook...
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
USCTrojans

this was definitely a surprise. What is Chicago thinking? they must need the cap space or they just really believe in their core
Old 06-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
gonzagacubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojans View Post
this was definitely a surprise. What is Chicago thinking? they must need the cap space or they just really believe in their core
They are really not getting any salary cap relief with either move. That is why this is so baffling. Hjalmarsson carried a 4 mil cap hit, and the return is bringing 3.85 mil. Panarin and Saad carried the same. Saad is signed for two extra years. None of this makes any sense to me, but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
KandJ

Read that the end game was for Saad's extra years. The team didn't expect to be able to resign Panarin when his contract is up in 2019. I jinxed it by buying a Panarin jersey last season. Bummed as hell. But glad Saad is back. It would have been worst if it was a salary dump deal and got nothing in return. Now we just need Sharpy back.
KandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
Art Vandelay

Is GarPax still at the United Center answering the phones today???
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
preakness

Fan of Saad
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
JackThree

I understand why the "breadman" was traded. At least we got somebody good in return. The other trade....?

Patrick Sharp isn't coming back. But I wouldn't mind seeing Andrew Shaw wearing the Indian head once again.
JackThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
ewilkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagacubs View Post
They are really not getting any salary cap relief with either move. That is why this is so baffling. Hjalmarsson carried a 4 mil cap hit, and the return is bringing 3.85 mil. Panarin and Saad carried the same. Saad is signed for two extra years. None of this makes any sense to me, but that's just my opinion.
Actually there's a lot of sense to be made if you dig a little deeper...

In the Panarin/Saad trade, they gained two extra years of cap certainty, which is crucial moving forward. If Panarin kept producing (and playing with Kane, he probably would) he'd price himself out of town by 2019. Now they'll still have Saad. And Saad is actually younger than Panarin.
What they really needed was a skilled 2-way forward, especially with Hossa being done. Saad will fill hat role, and while they probably won't replace all of Panarin's points, I'd bet DeBrincat gets a shot with Kane, and I'm assuming the Hawks feel like he can do an adequate impersonation. Plus they acquired a goalie who'll have a chance to be the backup, or at least provide organizational depth, which the sorely lacked. I like this trade a lot.

Hjlmarsson trade is a little tougher to swallow, b/c I loved Hjammer. But he's a type of player who can age poorly due to his style of play (and faded down the stretch last year). I'd have love to trade Seabrook instead, but his NMC and cap hit basically make that impossible. In getting Murphy they got younger and faster which was the desired outcome. Plus he has 5 years left under contract to Hjammer's 2. I also think Dauphin has a chance to stick around for forward depth, and since they're cap strapped they need young/cheap guys to fill out the roster. I don't love this trade as much as the Panarin trade, but I get it.
ewilkens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
ewilkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackThree View Post
I understand why the "breadman" was traded. At least we got somebody good in return. The other trade....?

Patrick Sharp isn't coming back. But I wouldn't mind seeing Andrew Shaw wearing the Indian head once again.
I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than watch Andrew Shaw come back. Luckily they can't really afford him.

Hartman is a more than adequate Shaw replacement. And for most of the year took fewer dumb penalties. Montreal can keep Shaw.
ewilkens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #12
KandJ

Look like Sharp is signing a one year deal for under a million dollars with the Hawks. Love this!
KandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
CoolG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandJ View Post
Look like Sharp is signing a one year deal for under a million dollars with the Hawks. Love this!
Awesome news
Welcome home Sharpie!
CoolG is online now   Reply With Quote