AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #226
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclben View Post
I bought A LOT of Tek last year... but have only bought a few singles this year.

Masterwork really was a turn off for me going into this set. Without on-card auto's, and HIGH odds of pulling very common auto's that I already have from last year or other sets, I just don't see the point. I'd rather just buy the singles I need.

They also didn't feature enough of the Rogue One characters. The last version had most of the key characters from Force Awakens, while they only included Jyn and the Death Trooper in this year's Tek.

Mistakes all around.

Overall, I doubt the enthusiasm for this set will ever pick up, especially now that Rogue One has clearly shown it's a better place to spend one's precious holiday money.

I didn't even notice besides Jyn that they had Rogue One characters. They could've easily cut down on the 15 Reys or having prequel and cgi Yoda.

The hard thing is would people buy a set with like 10 OT characters only that is more of an expansion, or do the fans want so many repeat characters?

I'm on the side of expansions like galactic files, I'm sick of like Masterworks 2 reusing so many characters. We didn't need a Greedo again (no offense to Greedo collectors, but cmon).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vargaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #227
Jackg1980

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclben View Post
I bought A LOT of Tek last year... but have only bought a few singles this year.

Masterwork really was a turn off for me going into this set. Without on-card auto's, and HIGH odds of pulling very common auto's that I already have from last year or other sets, I just don't see the point. I'd rather just buy the singles I need.

They also didn't feature enough of the Rogue One characters. The last version had most of the key characters from Force Awakens, while they only included Jyn and the Death Trooper in this year's Tek.

Mistakes all around.

Overall, I doubt the enthusiasm for this set will ever pick up, especially now that Rogue One has clearly shown it's a better place to spend one's precious holiday money.
Not sure what will happen this year but last year, Tek started off by selling real cheap. Lots of attention went to FA1 and its low print run. Then a couple weeks later Tek shot thru the roof.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #228
aclben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Not sure what will happen this year but last year, Tek started off by selling real cheap. Lots of attention went to FA1 and its low print run. Then a couple weeks later Tek shot thru the roof.
This could happen. I think people trying to put together Rey rainbows really drove it last time around. With so many more desirable Rey's on the market now, compared to then, it may not happen.
aclben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #229
Vargaman

Not 100% sure, but I don't think Crystal Clarke has a base auto.

I wish Topps would release a nice table again like they did for Masterworks 2. I understand the pattern chase was a fun thing they do, but auto levels should be part of the checklist.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #230
richo

I actually think High Tek is a nice product. Stickers don't both me, nor does no sketches. At the end of the day, this hovering around $55 a box seems a decent shout. Yep most boxes give a 10-20$ auto, but you always have the shot at a bigger card and some interesting colour.

Totally agree on detailed checklist. I doubt Daisy or Adam Driver have orange magma autos to #25 for example.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #231
Cujobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
I actually think High Tek is a nice product. Stickers don't both me, nor does no sketches. At the end of the day, this hovering around $55 a box seems a decent shout. Yep most boxes give a 10-20$ auto, but you always have the shot at a bigger card and some interesting colour.

Totally agree on detailed checklist. I doubt Daisy or Adam Driver have orange magma autos to #25 for example.
+1. At $55 I'm thinking bout trying a case. The parallels sell pretty good, and I'm a believer that after x'mas, we may see these start to rise. Who knows tho. I'd like a shot at Daisy tho.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #232
Vargaman

Quote:

Wasn't there a Kylo /25 shown in the sell sheet? I'm sure if they did 25 level for MW2 they'll do it again. If TOPPS starts limiting them I'm sure that will hurt sales as well. Knowing there's a reasonable chance of hitting them is a huge selling point, unlike Ford where you have to win the "lottery" haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #233
flea90

bought a box of this.. def. staying away from it after that
flea90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:18 AM   #234
cypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Wrong. For a few days Tek sold cheap, than the resellers went nuts and started manipulating SPs and the prices have never recovered. Buy a case of the first tek and it will not make you money. Just check sold listings, barely anyone is buying Tek this year but the investors who are manipulating singles prices . Auctions are low because collectors are not paying for all these nonsense parallels.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #235
richo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Wrong. For a few days Tek sold cheap, than the resellers went nuts and started manipulating SPs and the prices have never recovered. Buy a case of the first tek and it will not make you money. Just check sold listings, barely anyone is buying Tek this year but the investors who are manipulating singles prices . Auctions are low because collectors are not paying for all these nonsense parallels.
I have some doubt as to whether resellers can manipulate a market as big as the Star Wars card market. Over supply of many common autos has driven down prices down naturally. SPs are not even a card per case, so prices should be high.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #236
Vargaman

I'm stuck with a few cards I want being included as lots or with way higher buy it now prices than I want to pay or comparable cards have sold for.

I will say that if all the people with /10 and/5 cards to BIN/OBO instead of auctions that they can hold prices, at least for main characters. There will always be that C-List card /1 or /5 which sells for like $10 in an auction and gets people to start undervaluing all cards in that parallel though.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #237
Jackg1980

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
how am i wrong? lol
Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #238
HiltonL

Quote:
Dude, saying the market is manipulated over and over again is not going to make it true.

Collectors/dealers/rippers should already know that buying a single case of anything will not make you tons of money unless you hit a Ford, Daisy, or a pair of Felicitys (seriously Topps??!?). But factor in multi-case volumes, incentives and price breaks, can certainly make a difference between making a profit and taking a loss. Even an ethereal benefit like distributor allocation preference weighs in on the decision.

I truly believe you need to change your approach to these forums from "the trading card sky is continually rigged" to maybe lurking and potentially "I told you so-ing" when you have some facts to back your claims.

--Hilton
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #239
Cujobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
Dude, saying the market is manipulated over and over again is not going to make it true.

Collectors/dealers/rippers should already know that buying a single case of anything will not make you tons of money unless you hit a Ford, Daisy, or a pair of Felicitys (seriously Topps??!?). But factor in multi-case volumes, incentives and price breaks, can certainly make a difference between making a profit and taking a loss. Even an ethereal benefit like distributor allocation preference weighs in on the decision.

I truly believe you need to change your approach to these forums from "the trading card sky is continually rigged" to maybe lurking and potentially "I told you so-ing" when you have some facts to back your claims.

--Hilton
+1 Good post Hilton.

Part of the very reason Sports breakers flooded non-sports in the last few years is because they saw they could recoup most of the case costs, and busting cases is enormously fun so why not do it? But imo, only Rogue 1 right now can get you there. Tek at $50 per box is tempting though.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #240
dalastdon

star wars high tek last year gave me the feeling to collect again, which i really missed in the past.
It was really hard to just even complete a normal base set due to only having 2 or 4 nomalr basecards per box...and this made it for me so much fun as i finally was again "trading" cards and making deals with fellow collectors trying to just complete a base set, so i really enjoyed the concept.
And i really felt satisfied, when the base set was complete...which was a nice feeling.

I am still working on some sets of last year as my last 6 months were kind of tough personally, but this set is really a nice one for collecting and making trades and just enjoying the hobby.
It is not all about the money, it is a hobby and should make fun and that is happening on this set for me.

I openede three boxes of this year set and they were not that good, but i still enjoy the concept and i think i will collect again the base and insert sets and i will also just break a few more boxes...just because of the fun
dalastdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #241
eldavojohn

Well, I'm actually starting to feel kinda bad for the sellers on ebay. Please, anyone who enjoys the look of these cards, come bid against me on ebay. I'd link to the sellers but I don't want to embarrass or make anyone mad. My ebay wins in the past two days alone have been incredibly cheap (and these were purchased from two sellers so shipping was cheap):

Aiden Cook auto $4.51
Catherine Tabe auto $4.51
Nick Gillard auto $3.25
Mark Dodson auto $4.29
Mike Quinn blue auto $7.50
Paul Warren blue auto $4.25
Aiden Cook gold auto $4.51
Mark Dodson (crumb) auto $9.50
Paul Warren Gold auto $5.50
Tom Kane blue auto $5.13
Mark Dodson (crumb) auto $9.99
David Bowers auto $5.50
Alan Ruscoe auto $5.50
David Accord gold and base autos $9.49
Tom Kane base auto x2 $10.49
Mark Dodson (crumb) auto x2 $10.49
Mark Dodson (crumb) auto $8.50
Michael Kingma auto $5.50
David Bowiers auto x2 $10.50
Scott Capurro auto x2 $7.50
Paul Blake blue auto $7.50
Tom Kane auto $5.50
Emun Elliot Orange and base autos $9.50

You can complain about how horrible it is to break this stuff or you can just do what I do and not break it and head to the secondary market and build an amazing collection on the cheap. And, once enough people do that, the market will even out!
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #242
richo

I must be the only person enjoying breaking this at the reduced prices. You just need to accept that 90% of pulls are common autos and parallels worth 5-10$. The real hits are the 1/1s, SPs, Rey's, pattern 5s and better autos if you are lucky. I have done a few more cases today and yesterday, I love it!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #243
PoPCulture

Quote:
I must be the only person enjoying breaking this at the reduced prices. You just need to accept that 90% of pulls are common autos and parallels worth 5-10$. The real hits are the 1/1s, SPs, Rey's, pattern 5s and better autos if you are lucky. I have done a few more cases today and yesterday, I love it!
Nope, your not the only one. Your right also that the common autos should be afterthoughts to the real value cards in this.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #244
eldavojohn

Quote:
The real hits are the 1/1s, SPs, Rey's, pattern 5s
The pattern 5s are the real hits? Can you explain these sales?

Don't get me wrong, when I won this auction I was a little scared that I didn't know what I was doing. I had to double check and then looked at sale history and was just confused.

Also, not to nitpick but it's not the Reys that should be doing well, it's the Jyns.

I'd love to see more breaks in the non-sports box breaks forum ... you absolutely killed it on your first four cases, did you post your recent ones? Remember to post bad cases as well

Last edited by eldavojohn; 12-30-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #245
richo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
The pattern 5s are the real hits? Can you explain these sales?

Don't get me wrong, when I won this auction I was a little scared that I didn't know what I was doing. I had to double check and then looked at sale history and was just confused.

Also, not to nitpick but it's not the Reys that should be doing well, it's the Jyns.

I'd love to see more breaks in the non-sports box breaks forum ... you absolutely killed it on your first four cases, did you post your recent ones? Remember to post bad cases as well
Certain characters I mean. I pulled a pattern 5 Rey yesterday and no way would I sell it off cheaply to a low baller. If any sellers are doing this then more fool them.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #246
notoriousrmb

Just like with any cards, if you are opening packs looking for "value" you are in the wrong hobby. I think this is a very fun break and love chasing the patterns personally. Until new movies come out and new actors sign, there shouldn't be a big value SW set because we have all seen these same names sign before.

And I am not surprised Rey goes higher than Jyn - Jyn is dead and Rey is starting her SW legacy and should only grow in popularity.
notoriousrmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #247
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post
Just like with any cards, if you are opening packs looking for "value" you are in the wrong hobby.
I apologize if that's how I sounded, it's not at all what I meant. What I meant was that I'm not looking to break four cases of this stuff so if you're only going to break a box or two and -- richo's own words 90% of the hits are $5 -- you have a 90% chance of getting 1/10th what you're spending then why not simply take the money for the box and buy eight autos on ebay? If you don't care about the puppeteers and voice actors and minor characters, then yes breaking is your only gamble at hitting one of the stars. But for me, personally, the star wars universe requires more than a couple folks to make it stellar.

Quote:
And I am not surprised Rey goes higher than Jyn - Jyn is dead and Rey is starting her SW legacy and should only grow in popularity.
Well if you want to talk about the future, the next two movies starring Rey could be terrible! On top of that, in the list I had Catherine Tabe and Tom Kane -- when the millions of kids watching those shows grow up, don't you think they'd look on those voice actors with the same fondness I share for Lorenzo Music, Maurice LaMarche and Billy West?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #248
richo

A pattern 5 Rey should be a solid investment. Am getting like one 5 per case, so by my reckoning with 112 cards, that's a Rey pattern 5 every 112 cases...
Old 12-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #249
eldavojohn

Quote:
A pattern 5 Rey should be a solid investment. Am getting like one 5 per case, so by my reckoning with 112 cards, that's a Rey pattern 5 every 112 cases...
Edit: Nevermind, didn't know the SP variations don't come in different patterns.

Last edited by eldavojohn; 12-30-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #250
daviswr7

I fully intend on breaking this product, but it hasn't even come close to bottoming out yet from distributors..at its lowest point, I think it will drop lower then any SW product to date.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote