2017 Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
49erfan9

Default Star Wars advice needed

Hi there,

Collected sports cards my whole life and hoped one day my son would do the same, he is far more interested in Star Wars than football, can't really blame him

He is 5 and I would like to open some stuff with him, mostly looking for cards that he would enjoy getting but wouldn't be opposed to them having some level of value, also he likes all 8 Star Wars films so it would be nice if the product covered a majority of films.

Please feel free to over advice and steer me in the right direction

Thanks in advance
Tim
Old 02-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan9 View Post
Hi there,

Collected sports cards my whole life and hoped one day my son would do the same, he is far more interested in Star Wars than football, can't really blame him

He is 5 and I would like to open some stuff with him, mostly looking for cards that he would enjoy getting but wouldn't be opposed to them having some level of value, also he likes all 8 Star Wars films so it would be nice if the product covered a majority of films.

Thanks in advance
Tim
2016 Evolution can be picked up cheap right now by the box and case and it is a great set for kids imo. 2 hits per box with one almost certain to be a manufactured patch card- not great for adult collectors but my kids love the look of these. There are other recent sets that can be picked up on the cheap but most are not tied to all the films and animated series. If you want to be forward thinking, you should look at preordering Galactic Files Reborn (releasing in July) as it will focus on all 8 films and the cards look good from what we have seen at this point.

........edit.......not sure why I felt the need to quote the op when this was the first response lol. Habit I guess.

Last edited by PoPCulture; 02-11-2017 at 09:31 PM.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
kerg

Quote:
Well, for starters, you should improve your parenting skills by raising him to not like The Phantom Menace...
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
ifish73

Evolution, Jedi vs. Sith or Jedi Legacy are all affordable and cover multiple films.

He would probably like the look of Evolution of Jedi vs. Sith the best. You could also go High-Tek but there are only 8 cards in the box with one being an autograph.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

I have three boys- 4/6/7 - and highly recommend Chrome Jedi vs With given the price it's at now. The kids will love the shininess of the cards, as mentioned above one hit will be medallion but my kids think those are really cool, you get a lot of cards in a box so there's definitely quantity to appease the child, and however remote you do have a chance of pulling something of value.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
49erfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
2016 Evolution can be picked up cheap right now by the box and case and it is a great set for kids imo. 2 hits per box with one almost certain to be a manufactured patch card- not great for adult collectors but my kids love the look of these. There are other recent sets that can be picked up on the cheap but most are not tied to all the films and animated series. If you want to be forward thinking, you should look at preordering Galactic Files Reborn (releasing in July) as it will focus on all 8 films and the cards look good from what we have seen at this point.

........edit.......not sure why I felt the need to quote the op when this was the first response lol. Habit I guess.
thanks for the advice, I think I am going to pick up a box for him to see if he enjoys it. will definitely be tracking the galactic files reborn.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
49erfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Well, for starters, you should improve your parenting skills by raising him to not like The Phantom Menace...
it pains me when he makes me watch this, but I think he sees himself in young Anakin so I grind through it.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
49erfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
I have three boys- 4/6/7 - and highly recommend Chrome Jedi vs With given the price it's at now. The kids will love the shininess of the cards, as mentioned above one hit will be medallion but my kids think those are really cool, you get a lot of cards in a box so there's definitely quantity to appease the child, and however remote you do have a chance of pulling something of value.
I will give this one a try as well
Old 02-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
49erfan9

do you think its worth picking up the old sets from 1977, 1980 etc?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
PoPCulture

Quote:
do you think its worth picking up the old sets from 1977, 1980 etc?
To someone my age that collected these as a kid, yes definitely. For a kid today that has no emotional attachment to the heritage stock these may be pretty boring. Most of the images on the original cards have been used over and over on other sets over the years. If you start to pick up the vintage sets I would recommend Star Wars series 5 (the orange bordered set) as it has a lot of Cantina scenes and behind the scenes images. This was my personal favorite set back in the day.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Clemente

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
Tim
I think you already got good advice so I will just second the Evolution set. I just started collecting with my 6 year old and she is a big fan of Evolution. The base set break down all the characters in all the movies. The Inserts are really nice too. We have the whole set on a binder (9-page protected) and she loves going through it. As a box break the Autos are tough but there is always a chance to hit it big since the high end characters did sign on limited quantities. Good luck! If you start building the set and need some to complete the set hit me up. I have plenty.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
RonimusPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemente View Post
I think you already got good advice so I will just second the Evolution set. I just started collecting with my 6 year old and she is a big fan of Evolution. The base set break down all the characters in all the movies. The Inserts are really nice too. We have the whole set on a binder (9-page protected) and she loves going through it. As a box break the Autos are tough but there is always a chance to hit it big since the high end characters did sign on limited quantities. Good luck! If you start building the set and need some to complete the set hit me up. I have plenty.
Rather than the sets, it might be worth it to get the books for SW-ROTJ. I know they're the kind of thing I'd find cool as a kid.
RonimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:52 AM   #13
Wolf8MeVillie

I love when kids get into Star Wars / Comics / SciFi, I have a friend who is like a Mean Girls kind of person, when she was growing up that is. Her daughter loves Wonder Woman and comics so I just buy her a monthly issue! Nurturing and supporting kids no matter what they like is always awesome and rewarding! Chrome Jedi vs Sith is the cheapest product that I can think of with great variety of cards, I mean there are the refractors, xfractors, gold refractors, prism, and the elusive superfractor. Tons of autographs and the dreaded medallions! But still the chance of pulling a top actor is pretty good. Not sure if the prices went up on boxes/cases due to the death of Fisher, but pretty good deals to be had with tons of parallels. Jedi Legacy was great for Early Anakin picture cards. The Ewok Relics and Sail Barge Relics are great, as are the autographs, but the film cels might throw your kid off a bit! No numbered parallels, just colored variations! If you direct message me I can ship you a free set of 2013 Jedi Legacy - 90 card set. I have a few hundred of em that just sit around... for a few bucks in shipping I'd rather have a kid get em than just keep sitting on em!
Wolf8MeVillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #14
Wolf8MeVillie

Oh and I work over nights, so might take some time to get back to any messages lol!
Wolf8MeVillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
49erfan9

the advice on here has been great, I have decided to get one box of revolution one box of jedi vs sith, and I will let him decide which he likes more and we can go pick out a 2nd box. I couldn't resist and I have a complete 1977 set coming in, figure it would be fun putting them in the books together. I have also been very impressed with the kindness on here, its a nice reminder of all the good that is in collecting. thanks everyone for the advice
Old 02-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #16
kerg

Quote:
the advice on here has been great, I have decided to get one box of revolution one box of jedi vs sith
Decent picks. I know as a 5 year old, I probably would have been drawn more to any chrome sets.

Good luck and enjoy opening.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote