Blowout Cards Forums
retail mania

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #76
Astros19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
"I think that would be a great idea.'

- Sticky fingered high school student
One could actually make that point, it's kind of valid.
Of course that's not the reason they chose to make an issue of it.
This is just another oppurtunity for identity politics, this time it's kids.
Kids being used as pawns.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #77
Astros19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
So this isn't a criticism or dismissal of her and her views? She's Cuban-American and wore the flag for her personal reasons. She is 17 and has done more for her beliefs already than most do in a lifetime.

Lauren Ingraham was a reference to her comments last week about athletes having political opinions. Although she does like/support athletes who endorse her beliefs so I guess she has it both ways.

You do understand she's had just a tad bit of help from the left wing media and every other left wing nut-job, right?
She's so young and dumb she doesn't even have the foggiest clue she's being used as a pawn.
Obviously she's not the only one that doesn't realize that.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #78
GoTribe!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astros19 View Post
They completely lost me when it was suggested that backpacks be made out of clear plastic so a weapon couldn't be smuggled in.
Of course these protestors would have no part of that claiming it infringed on their rights. Even went so far as to say "why should I be punished for something another individual did wrong?

And we're supposed to take these children serious.

Oh the irony.
-TA
Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #79
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
Remember these "17 year old kids" are voting REALLY soon. Doesn't look good for those in power.
Remember there are other "17 year old kids" who know what a crock this is and will vote soon, as well.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #80
babyfaceposey

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
Remember there are other "17 year old kids" who know what a crock this is and will vote soon, as well.
Have one that can vote this year and another next year. Raised with common sense.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #81
deansayso

I love listening to Ben Shapiro. He's about the only one who makes sense anymore, but he is slowly heading down the path of Glenn Beck.

That David Hogg kid is the worst.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #82
rman112
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansayso View Post
I love listening to Ben Shapiro. He's about the only one who makes sense anymore, but he is slowly heading down the path of Glenn Beck.

Zero chance Hogg is in on this on his own. Emma Gonzalez, either.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #83
rman112
Banned

edited

Last edited by rman112; 03-27-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #84
jcardstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansayso View Post

Hogg is nothing but a shill. He’s going to have a career in politics for sure
Old 03-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #85
jdandns

Grown men ripping on a kid whose school was shot up less than 6 weeks ago.

Classy.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #86
Astros19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Grown men ripping on a kid whose school was shot up less than 6 weeks ago.

Classy.
Is it the left's intent to continue to use kids so no one's allowed to disagree with them without being called classless?
Let's be honest, the kid's a camera hogg.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #87
jdandns

The people change, but the issue remains the same. Best to argue the latter and not the former. Politics aside, these students have been through a traumatic incident and this is helping some of them to recover from it. The upset is purely from people who could lose money in some way as a result. I understand that is problematic, but my sympathy is with the kids.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #88
rman112
Banned

Quote:
The people change, but the issue remains the same. Best to argue the latter and not the former. Politics aside, these students have been through a traumatic incident and this is helping some of them to recover from it. The upset is purely from people who could lose money in some way as a result. I understand that is problematic, but my sympathy is with the kids.
Considering I don't have any guns and also don't stand to gain or lose any money, your generalization is wrong.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #89
Astros19

Quote:
I'm upset and haven't a clue why you would think it has anything to do with losing money.
Now, if you had said losing rights, well you'd be spot on.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #90
Astros19

Quote:
Considering I don't have any guns and also don't stand to gain or lose any money, your generalization is wrong.
Nor do I own any guns, yet.
To me it's important to keep that right though if I choose to.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #91
jdandns

Were I conspiratorial (like the youtube "journalists" above), I would wonder what super secret international cabal had co-opted you.
Were I cynical, I would say you were lying and demand proof (and then disappear once you provided it).
Since I'm neither, I'll just say good for you.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:45 AM   #92
jcardstore

How would the common person stand to lose any money? These kids are being paraded around like circus animals to achieve a political goal. If you think these kids are doing this themselves with no higher power pushing them you’re incredibly naive.

These kids don’t know anything about policy, they don’t even know what they’re asking for and just regurgitating “guns are bad” generalizations with no real suggestions on how to improve the system.

Nobody is arguing common sense regulation (nobody sensible at least). Make everyone who wants to buy a gun pass a gun safety test, strengthen background checks and prevent anyone with a history of mental issues or a violent criminal record (felony or not) from buying a gun.

But yea, we’re just upset about losing money
Old 03-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #93
Astros19

I read this on facebook and think it pretty much summed up my feelings.......

The Left is cynically using students as human shields for its agenda. It simultaneously makes two contradictory claims:

These students are wise and enlightened; society should heed their passion; and...

These children are young, unseasoned, and vulnerable; it's not civil to oppose or criticize their message.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. They don't get to be philosopher kings, and at the same time sheltered from opposition.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #94
Siberian13

Love how this thread was created because it was "sports & politcs" related somehow and of course it turned into what it is now. Makes so much sense, good work BO
Old 03-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #95
Dielon

I would like the OP, or David Hogg, or Bill Russell to answer what a assault rifle is. I bet you get three different answers.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #96
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post

Nobody is arguing common sense regulation (nobody sensible at least).

This
is either naive or disingenuous, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt it is merely the former. This is ALL some people are doing, and some of these people have a lot of clout and money at their disposal. And cynically pairing it with other wedge issues they actually could care less about, and using the nebulous principles of "freedom" and "liberty", they have helped to create a subclass of people who annually vote against safety within their own communities based on a series a lies, the main one being that the "government" is coming to get you.

You may not remember, but we've discussed this issue at length, you and I, and nothing has changed, which is why it's still such a thorny subject. You can look for old the thread (if it still exists, since it may have been sabotaged by the injection of a non-related hot button issue and ultimately removed as a couple have again attempted here), but to sum up, many sellers don't want to take responsibility for putting guns into the hands of people who should not have them. They do not like the added expense of doing real background checks especially since properly doing so would also shrink their consumer pool. That needs to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielon View Post
I would like the OP, or David Hogg, or Bill Russell to answer what a assault rifle is. I bet you get three different answers.
One's definition of that could not matter less. That is a smokescreen, one that is fully played out and has been for some time. Please take a moment to explain why the layperson should know as much about firearms as a collector or dealer of them before they are allowed to take any exception with how they are continually being misused at schools, churches, concerts, workplaces, and pretty much any where else one can think of to inflict mass casualties in the matter of moments.

Quote:
The Left is cynically using students as human shields for its agenda.
No, it's the other way around, meaning the students are using the Left to further their message, and hopefully this youth movement will co-opt the Right for it, as well. This is no longer a partisan issue (and never should have been in the first place), as many, people on both sides (and there are good people on both sides) recognize the need for real and substantive reform, and more will, I think, as the elections draw nearer. This is no longer a partisan issue, and may it never be again.

Quote:
It simultaneously makes two contradictory claims:

These students are wise and enlightened; society should heed their passion; and...

These children are young, unseasoned, and vulnerable; it's not civil to oppose or criticize their message.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. They don't get to be philosopher kings, and at the same time sheltered from opposition.
They shouldn't ask for that, having it both ways, but the older generations should afford them that for a time. What we came up with doesn't work, that much is clear. This is still a very fresh event for them, and will be remain up close in their rear-view mirrors for some time to come. Ultimately, though, their arguments will have to sustain them, and only time will tell if they are able to. Whatever they come up with can only be so different from what's been floated previously, however this is a new messenger we're getting it from, so it may resonate more than it has previously.

Finally, I find it telling that the same people always getting on Millennials for seemingly having no direction or incentive are now so upset at seeing some of them so motivated. Even the cover screen for that Youtube hatchet piece about Hogg posted above seems to indicate the anti-Parkland survivors are upset by the utterance of curse words. Time for people to toughen up, all around, however, attacking the messenger instead of the message means you've already lost the debate.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #97
spuds1961

You know who I want to hear from, that 's right the shooter himself. I don't think Hogg or Emma are offering any real solutions. I think an interview with Cruz asking him what pushed him over the edge and whether it was easy for him to get his weapons and ammo, and after all those visits from the police he still was never on a list of refusal to buy fire arms. I feel it is not a 2nd amendment issue and trust me I would be willing to listen to these teenagers if they knew more of the subject they are going against.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #98
rman112
Banned

"No, it's the other way around, meaning the students are using the Left to further their message.."

LOL! Yeah.. OK. The kid is fed lines to memorize and give on air.

But he's just an innocent kid who no one can question, though.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #99
GoTribe!!!

Quote:
"No, it's the other way around, meaning the students are using the Left to further their message.."

No he's right. The kids are the ones organizing and paying for all these marches and rallies. The leaders of the left are only showing up because the kids invited them. Geesh
-TA
Old 03-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #100
jdandns

Quote:

No one's stopping anyone from getting involved.