Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
Earvin32

Default Early 90's Magic Johnson autos

I having been working for a few years to complete all the early 90's Hoops/Skybox autos of Magic in a Lakers Uniform. I know there is a skybox auto that was handed out at the all star game and the Jim Kelly/Magic Johnson cards, but the all star card was not pack issued and Magic was retired when he signed the Kelly dual auto card so he was not in an NBA jersey.

1992 Hoops

1994 Hoops dual auto with Larry Bird

1992 Skybox

1992 Sybox Team USA auto
I could not find too much info on this card and I could not find an image of what the card looked like from back in the day. I have seen a card like mine a couple of times on the bay. I know some of you will see that the G in Magic does not look like the rest of his autos. In my research, I found that he used a signature like this back in the day. Hear is a signed ball from a Mears auction:
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...-lot57061.aspx
Here is another signed ball from 1989 with the signature:
https://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sp...orthy-jsa.html
If I had to guess, maybe Magic signed the USA cards first. That card does not have the Skybox seal. His G changed as he signed the other autos.

If the team USA auto is not the pack inserted one, please let me know and show me an image of what it should look like. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Earvin32

Just checking again for opinions on the 1992 team usa auto I picked up.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
mk6283

Are these the only Magic Johnson autos from the 90s? Did he have any autos in the mid to late 90s such as Inkredible, Epic Signatures, etc.? Any others?

Thanks,
MK
Old 09-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Giantrobot

I know this a 3-year old necro bump thread, but congrats to the OP for putting together a neat set of cards. It’s a shame an interesting post like this gets zero replies when posted, and the most inane stuff gets traction.
Giantrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Earvin32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6283 View Post
Are these the only Magic Johnson autos from the 90s? Did he have any autos in the mid to late 90s such as Inkredible, Epic Signatures, etc.? Any others?

Thanks,
MK
Magic was a spokesperson for hoops back in the early 90’s. He started signing for Upper Deck in 2000 but there could be other autos I haven’t seen from the late 1990’s. I love the early hoops/skybox autos as they were inserted at insane rates but they are easily counterfeited as the cards were also inserted as base cards without the auto in packs. There is nothing printed on the card that says the card was an auto. The stamp was supposed to be the authentication but some stamps were left at card shops after an athlete signing for hoops/skybox or the were auctioned off when fleer was scuttled. It makes the chase for the real autos more fun. The olympic auto in gold pen is legit as I have found the David Robinson autos done the same way. I think interest in these early autos has risen in the auctions I has seen. Thanks for bumping my old thread.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:05 PM   #6
Asian62150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6283 View Post

Thanks,
MK
I wish they made Magic Epic Signatures back in 1999. But at least they eventually got to it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
losangelesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earvin32 View Post
I having been working for a few years to complete all the early 90's Hoops/Skybox autos of Magic in a Lakers Uniform. I know there is a skybox auto that was handed out at the all star game and the Jim Kelly/Magic Johnson cards, but the all star card was not pack issued and Magic was retired when he signed the Kelly dual auto card so he was not in an NBA jersey.

1992 Hoops

1994 Hoops dual auto with Larry Bird

1992 Skybox

1992 Sybox Team USA auto
I could not find too much info on this card and I could not find an image of what the card looked like from back in the day. I have seen a card like mine a couple of times on the bay. I know some of you will see that the G in Magic does not look like the rest of his autos. In my research, I found that he used a signature like this back in the day. Hear is a signed ball from a Mears auction:
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...-lot57061.aspx
Here is another signed ball from 1989 with the signature:
https://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sp...orthy-jsa.html
If I had to guess, maybe Magic signed the USA cards first. That card does not have the Skybox seal. His G changed as he signed the other autos.

If the team USA auto is not the pack inserted one, please let me know and show me an image of what it should look like. Thanks.

These were impossible for me to pack back in the day, i opened so much skybox products
losangelesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
mk6283

Thanks for the additional info. It is a fun grouping to put together. I have gotten 5 of the 6. Just need the 1992 SkyBox to complete the run. There was one that hit eBay yesterday, but I got sniped. If anyone has one FS/FT, please DM me. Thanks!

Best,
MK