Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX & CASE BREAKS

Notices

BASEBALL BOX & CASE BREAKS Post your BASEBALL Box & Case Breaks Here!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
bd3d86

Default 2012 Bowman Jumbo Box Break from LCS - Very nice color! Purple!!!

I had a $30 gift card to a great LCS (Les's Sportscards in Birch Run) and decided to put it towards a box of 2012 Bowman Jumbo at an amazing price. It turned out to be a pretty awesome box.

Here were the better cards:

Refractors: Mike Dodig, Bralin Jackson, Connor Lien
Silver Ice: Brandon Brennan, Joe Kelly
Orange Paper: Nick Travieso #072/250
Blue Paper: Sean McAdams #412/500

Addison Russell Chrome base auto
Keon Barnum Chrome base auto
Paul Sewald Red Ice #19/25
Liam Hendriks Gold Refractor #24/50

and....

Michael Wacha Purple Refractor auto #09/10!!!

Now a couple questions: The purple auto has some weird lines almost like glue by the autograph. You can see it a little bit by the middle of the auto in the scan, but the rest isn't visible by scan. Is that something Topps would replace since it is factory damage? Also, I'm not sure on a price for it (assuming it was in good condition without the glue issue). Any ideas on that? I looked for completed listings and haven't found anything that can really help.

Thanks for the look!!!

Last edited by bd3d86; 01-12-2013 at 06:23 PM.
bd3d86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Ryan T.

Weird, I pulled a purple with kind of the same issue today. Can't tell if it's a scratch or some weird print line near the auto.

I assumed sending it back would be asking for trouble.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
bd3d86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Weird, I pulled a purple with kind of the same issue today. Can't tell if it's a scratch or some weird print line near the auto.

I assumed sending it back would be asking for trouble.
Yeah, I didn't know what to do about. I thought it might be trouble as well, but I guess I can always call first and see if they have replacements (which I doubt being numbered to 10).
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
aaron41984
Banned

Have you tried wiping it off with a microfiber cloth?
aaron41984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
bd3d86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron41984 View Post
Have you tried wiping it off with a microfiber cloth?
I tried wiping off the part below the auto, but tried not to get close to the auto. It didn't work though...
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Coug46n2

I pulled a Hellweg purple with the same gunk on it. It was also horribly off centered. I did decide to return the card, who knows what I'll get back but pretty much anything I get would be an improvement.
Coug46n2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
mikecancelliere
Banned

Nice wacha. I'm interested if trading or selling
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
85GoCards

One of my Ramsey purples has a weird line on it as well, but one is fine. I wonder if they used a special roller for the purples that damaged most of the cards?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Castellanos

Very nice Wacha! How is that card store? I've been to the Stadium in Bay City and Zittel's in my hometown but never there.
Castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
bd3d86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GoCards View Post
One of my Ramsey purples has a weird line on it as well, but one is fine. I wonder if they used a special roller for the purples that damaged most of the cards?
Geez....it sounds like it. You're the 3rd or 4th person to mention damage on the purples. Very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castellanos View Post
Very nice Wacha! How is that card store? I've been to the Stadium in Bay City and Zittel's in my hometown but never there.
I love the shop. The guy that works there, Les, is a really nice guy and isn't shady at all. There was a group there today and we just busted packs and talked sports. There have been some sick cards pulled as well....red refractor auto of Yu Darvish, RGIII 1/1 auto patch, plus he always has lots in stock in various sports (although I'm more of a baseball guy).

I'm not sure how you feel about Zittels, but the last time I was there it seemed dead and not much to choose from. Plus the guy working seemed a bit off....that was awhile ago though. Not sure if it's any different.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #11
Castellanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
Geez....it sounds like it. You're the 3rd or 4th person to mention damage on the purples. Very strange.

I love the shop. The guy that works there, Les, is a really nice guy and isn't shady at all. There was a group there today and we just busted packs and talked sports. There have been some sick cards pulled as well....red refractor auto of Yu Darvish, RGIII 1/1 auto patch, plus he always has lots in stock in various sports (although I'm more of a baseball guy).

I'm not sure how you feel about Zittels, but the last time I was there it seemed dead and not much to choose from. Plus the guy working seemed a bit off....that was awhile ago though. Not sure if it's any different.
Yes spot on about Zittel's. They never have anything in stock or to choose from. Said they'd order me a 2011 update jumbo and it would be in in a couple days. Stopped back up, wasn't in, guy said he was having a hard time finding one and would give me a call, never heard back. Not real friendly in there and don't seem too interested in the extra business so I go elsewhere now. Thanks for the heads up, looks like I need to make a trip to Birch Run.
Castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
tigersfan76

Nice box, BD! I'll second your sentiment about Les and his shop. He's a great guy - very honest and friendly. I stop by his shop a few times a year and he always remembers me. If you find yourself in mid-Michigan, it's worth making a stop at Les's.

Twitter:76tigersfan
tigersfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
aaron41984
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
I tried wiping off the part below the auto, but tried not to get close to the auto. It didn't work though...
I deal with this issue on a daily basis. You just need to blow warm air on the card and wipe it off with the microfiber while applying medium pressure. The auto won't come off unless you dump some ethanol on it. I guarantee this will work if you put some effort into it. That will save you the headache of not getting a replacement from Topps.
aaron41984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
bd3d86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersfan76 View Post
Nice box, BD! I'll second your sentiment about Les and his shop. He's a great guy - very honest and friendly. I stop by his shop a few times a year and he always remembers me. If you find yourself in mid-Michigan, it's worth making a stop at Les's.
Definitely. I'm glad you feel the same way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron41984 View Post
I deal with this issue on a daily basis. You just need to blow warm air on the card and wipe it off with the microfiber while applying medium pressure. The auto won't come off unless you dump some ethanol on it. I guarantee this will work if you put some effort into it. That will save you the headache of not getting a replacement from Topps.
Thanks for the advice, but I tried that and it just isn't coming off.