Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bowman draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 138
Default hesitant to sell on ebay

Hi All,

I've got quite a few vintage cards that are worth decent money ($500+) that I've recently upgraded and that I'd like to move out of my collection. My first thought is ebay, but I am hesitant for two reasons. First, I haven't sold on ebay much before and have no real reputation. Second, I worry that the buyer will file a dispute and I'll be left with no money and no card. I see my options as being below. It seems that the best option might be to send the cards over to COMC where I list them there and engage the option for eBay/Amazon listing. I might have to wait for the cards to sell, but it seems to offer the balance I want of seller protection, control over pricing, and hands-off engagement.



Am I on base with my COMC strategy? Does anyone have any other thoughts on the best way to move medium end vintage?
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
sjscout
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sj
Posts: 1,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
Hi All,

I've got quite a few vintage cards that are worth decent money ($500+) that I've recently upgraded and that I'd like to move out of my collection. My first thought is ebay, but I am hesitant for two reasons. First, I haven't sold on ebay much before and have no real reputation. Second, I worry that the buyer will file a dispute and I'll be left with no money and no card. I see my options as being below. It seems that the best option might be to send the cards over to COMC where I list them there and engage the option for eBay/Amazon listing. I might have to wait for the cards to sell, but it seems to offer the balance I want of seller protection, control over pricing, and hands-off engagement.



Am I on base with my COMC strategy? Does anyone have any other thoughts on the best way to move medium end vintage?

I would first try to sell them on ebay yourself. If it doesn't go well, then you can always choose other options. The point here is the cards are still in your possession.

Everyone starts at zero feedback. Does it hurt that you have none...yes. But I would list as a buy it now anyhow. List as good till cancelled and you can also sell them in person to others or on the forums.

Also, Everyone posts their ebay horror stories, but the truth is these fraud cases are few and far between. Do not let that perception scare you from listing on your own.

If your cards are high end and desirable, you should not have any problems. In fact, I would make comc my last choice based on this as I see them selling through ebay (provided they are desirable) and then you get hit with the comc/ebay fees and the cashout
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
rainmaker
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 977
Default

start off selling some of the small stuff and build up ratings. once you have like 10+ you should be good to go with 0.99 auctions. as a total new seller it wouldnt make sense to drop high value cards as that would probably be a concern for buyers.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152850287@N08/albums
rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjscout View Post
I would first try to sell them on ebay yourself. If it doesn't go well, then you can always choose other options. The point here is the cards are still in your possession.

Everyone starts at zero feedback. Does it hurt that you have none...yes. But I would list as a buy it now anyhow. List as good till cancelled and you can also sell them in person to others or on the forums.

Also, Everyone posts their ebay horror stories, but the truth is these fraud cases are few and far between. Do not let that perception scare you from listing on your own.
If I had a buyer with 0 feedback buying a $2k card, I would not feel comfortable with sending him the card even if he paid. Who's to say that he doesn't turn around and claim that I sent him a card that was 2 grades lower? Is there a way to reject bids from buyers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjscout View Post
If your cards are high end and desirable, you should not have any problems. In fact, I would make comc my last choice based on this as I see them selling through ebay (provided they are desirable) and then you get hit with the comc/ebay fees and the cashout
Good point; I hadn't considered that I'd still be on the hook for the ebay fees.
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
start off selling some of the small stuff and build up ratings. once you have like 10+ you should be good to go with 0.99 auctions. as a total new seller it wouldnt make sense to drop high value cards as that would probably be a concern for buyers.
I already have a feedback rating of around 20, but they're all cards that I've bought and maybe like 2 things sold. I guess 'feedback is feedback', and it doesn't matter that it was all buying and not selling, right?
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
crazy4kinsler
Member
 
crazy4kinsler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,313
Default

You'd probably get the most money from somewhere like GregMorris cards, Probstein or PWCC because they bid on their own items so would drive the prices up.

As for selling yourself, I'd try selling some of my lower end cards just to build up feedback. Or see if your local LCS sells on eBay and see if they'd sell for you with a consignment type fee.
__________________
Website: www.hughescards.weebly.com
Shipping is $3.14 for 1-10 cards and exact cost for lots/sets/other items, and I only ship to the USA.
crazy4kinsler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
rainmaker
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
I already have a feedback rating of around 20, but they're all cards that I've bought and maybe like 2 things sold. I guess 'feedback is feedback', and it doesn't matter that it was all buying and not selling, right?
not necessarily, you should attempt to get those 5 star seller feedback ratings (communication, shipping time, etc). i think its 10 you need before that appears.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152850287@N08/albums
rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
mfw13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,786
Default

If you choose to sell on EBay yourself, be sure to use BIN/BO.....that way you have a lot more control over whom you sell to, since you can decline the offers of any buyers whom you think may be troublesome.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
Daddymc
Member
 
Daddymc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,185
Default

Are we talking graded or ungraded?
Daddymc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
Uwfootball1
Member
 
Uwfootball1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 596
Default

lets see some of the vintage or at least a list, you might pick up a buyer in this thread. Can always list some stuff here before putting it on ebay if it doesn't sell quickly, also could sell in facebook groups
__________________
B.J. Ryan Supercollector
List of needs: http://goo.gl/iAXKi3
271/490 currently
Uwfootball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
sjscout
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sj
Posts: 1,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
If I had a buyer with 0 feedback buying a $2k card, I would not feel comfortable with sending him the card even if he paid. Who's to say that he doesn't turn around and claim that I sent him a card that was 2 grades lower? Is there a way to reject bids from buyers?



Good point; I hadn't considered that I'd still be on the hook for the ebay fees.
anyone can claim the card was two grades lower regardless of their feedback. Again, don't be swayed by the horror stories you hear, for every one time it happens, there are hundreds of thousands of positive no issue transactions,


if you do buy it now or best offer, you can atleast review the potential buyers feedback for best offers. and i would just check off "must pay immediately" for buy it now.

as for the comc- its not actually ebay fees you pay. but if you list your item with them and it sells on ebay you agree to give comc 20 percent of the sale. then if you cash out, you give them 20 percent again.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
AnthonyCorona
Member
 
AnthonyCorona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 3,185
Default

I know others have said it but I agree 100% about people only posting negatives. If people started a thread every time a transaction went prefect this board would be swamped with those theaters. Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
__________________
Collecting Phil Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Antonio Senzatela, Peter Lambert and any card featuring a player in Modesto A's or Nuts uniform.
AnthonyCorona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
Swipe79
Member
 
Swipe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID
Posts: 8,867
Default

I buy and sell primarily on COMC. If you have fair prices, your stuff sells pretty quickly. The 20% cashout is about 6-7% higher than your total eBay/Paypal fee selling yourself. They do all of the work for you.

You can also use the funds to buy stuff on COMC as well. The vintage sales section here is pretty slow, but it's worth a shot if you have stuff others collect.
__________________
COMC - 20% Auto Accept Always!
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #14
Bretsky
Member
 
Bretsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,050
Default

I’d recommend starting here. If stuff doesn’t move I recommend pwcc as I had a good experience selling a high value card through them. Never used comc for selling and it seems very fee driven. Good luck!
__________________
Photobucket
http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/illini60139/library/

Fan of the Fighting Illini, Bears and White Sox!
Bretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #15
crazy4kinsler
Member
 
crazy4kinsler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,313
Default

Not much vintage love around here. Nice, new shiny stuff? Yes. But not vintage. Might also try Net54. Catered more toward the vintage stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
I’d recommend starting here. If stuff doesn’t move I recommend pwcc as I had a good experience selling a high value card through them. Never used comc for selling and it seems very fee driven. Good luck!
__________________
Website: www.hughescards.weebly.com
Shipping is $3.14 for 1-10 cards and exact cost for lots/sets/other items, and I only ship to the USA.
crazy4kinsler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #16
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymc View Post
Are we talking graded or ungraded?
There are a mix of the two; mostly graded (PSA/SGC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwfootball1 View Post
lets see some of the vintage or at least a list, you might pick up a buyer in this thread. Can always list some stuff here before putting it on ebay if it doesn't sell quickly, also could sell in facebook groups
That's true, and very good advice. Rather than clutter this thread with lists, I'll post in the for sale section when I get images together and decide to sell. It's mainly post war RCs. Nolan Ryan, Eddie Murray, Clemente, etc. Mostly mid-grade stuff with values around $500-1000, give or take. I have some football stuff I don't really care for either. High grade montana, elway, marino RCs, a mid grade Jim Brown card, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
If you choose to sell on EBay yourself, be sure to use BIN/BO.....that way you have a lot more control over whom you sell to, since you can decline the offers of any buyers whom you think may be troublesome.
This is good advice too.

To everyone else, thank you so much for all the responses! You've given me a lot of food for thought.
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4kinsler View Post
You'd probably get the most money from somewhere like GregMorris cards, Probstein or PWCC because they bid on their own items so would drive the prices up.

As for selling yourself, I'd try selling some of my lower end cards just to build up feedback. Or see if your local LCS sells on eBay and see if they'd sell for you with a consignment type fee.
I have sold a few things through PWCC. The experience was smooth, but I didn't really see the huge prices people are always talking about. The cards I sold all went for very fair prices, IMO. They were inline with other auctions (ebay and other) and definitely weren't skewed to the high side. The problem I had with PWCC was that it was so long from shipment to consignment check. I can't buy new cards until I get the money from the old ones. LOL.
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #18
Swipe79
Member
 
Swipe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID
Posts: 8,867
Default

I think there have been concerns that the consigners (people who send in the cards) bid on their own items...at least I've heard that. It has also been an issue with Probstein as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
I have sold a few things through PWCC. The experience was smooth, but I didn't really see the huge prices people are always talking about. The cards I sold all went for very fair prices, IMO. They were inline with other auctions (ebay and other) and definitely weren't skewed to the high side. The problem I had with PWCC was that it was so long from shipment to consignment check. I can't buy new cards until I get the money from the old ones. LOL.
__________________
COMC - 20% Auto Accept Always!
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
wharfrat7624
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mt Laurel, NJ
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
If you choose to sell on EBay yourself, be sure to use BIN/BO.....that way you have a lot more control over whom you sell to, since you can decline the offers of any buyers whom you think may be troublesome.
I agree with mfw. I started selling some high end cards on eBay using BIN/BO and have had some success. It may take a while to sell but keep relisting. If it is a very nice card, as the saying goes, the card will sell itself. I have listed some Panini Prizm cards using auction format starting @ $0.99 and have sold a few.
wharfrat7624 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:08 AM   #20
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 27,248
Default

people buy high $ cards on COMC???
__________________
clectors proclaim: "the hobby is dead" & are MEGA FURIOUS AND MEGA LIVID!!!
Graded Rookie Card Collector
FOMO & POMO
BO gonna BO!!!
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
fenwaykid
Member
 
fenwaykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,372
Default

You are missing a huge card medium for sales that include 0% fees - facebook.
fenwaykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #22
bensie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Desert
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
people buy high $ cards on COMC???
If the price were right, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaykid View Post
You are missing a huge card medium for sales that include 0% fees - facebook.
True, but I don't have a facebook account, so I don't know anything at all about that. How do you sell cards on facebook?
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #23
crazy4kinsler
Member
 
crazy4kinsler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,313
Default

I thought about doing this too. But nobody in my community (or on my friends list) really collects. I don't know how to make it to where anyone in the country can buy my items. Plus, I hear about nothing but scams on there. Seems that's all there are on that site. So that's the reasons I've been kind of hesitant to sell/buy there.

As I said earlier, go with some of those consignment companies mentioned. They bid on their own items and drive the prices up, so you'll get more for your stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaykid View Post
You are missing a huge card medium for sales that include 0% fees - facebook.
__________________
Website: www.hughescards.weebly.com
Shipping is $3.14 for 1-10 cards and exact cost for lots/sets/other items, and I only ship to the USA.
crazy4kinsler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #24
fenwaykid
Member
 
fenwaykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4kinsler View Post
I thought about doing this too. But nobody in my community (or on my friends list) really collects. I don't know how to make it to where anyone in the country can buy my items. Plus, I hear about nothing but scams on there. Seems that's all there are on that site. So that's the reasons I've been kind of hesitant to sell/buy there.

As I said earlier, go with some of those consignment companies mentioned. They bid on their own items and drive the prices up, so you'll get more for your stuff.
There are private groups where you have to be vouched in by others in order to become a member. You should really consider it, 75% of the buying/selling I do is on facebook.
fenwaykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #25
Bowman1951
Member
 
Bowman1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 1,062
Default

Like others have said, Facebook is quickly becoming a great new option. I belong to an extremely active, private Facebook group for PSA graded (mainly vintage) cards. I think there are around 10k members and I see some cards literally sell in 3 minutes.

I'd be happy to give you more information, you don't pay fees there and the buyers are all looking for what you have, it's a win-win in my book.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.