cpa85

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera20 View Post
1-3 autos
10 or so relics
throwbacks most likely zero
sets 3-5 base sets probably no master set
non auto chrome numbered 8-10
Also, (unless I was just lucky with my one case of Heritage and one case of HHN last year) you should get one hot box with a purple refractor in every pack. I assume those are back this year.
cpa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #1027
okumeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
as a Japanese baseball fan and collector, you know the wise play is waiting years to pick up a non-red

this is NOT an Ichiro situation, where his Ultimate RC Auto was worth grabbing immediately.

Ohtani will have plenty of autos across all brands in 2018
Well, I don't know about years, but yes I do intend to wait for a bit.
The initial comment I made was just about "how much would his red command".
And though I gave my opinion as $2,000, that is not what I will be paying.
I just see that the current hype might take the prices there.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #1028
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by okumeister View Post
Well, I don't know about years, but yes I do intend to wait for a bit.
The initial comment I made was just about "how much would his red command".
And though I gave my opinion as $2,000, that is not what I will be paying.
I just see that the current hype might take the prices there.
i agree that 2K is not "crazy" on the reds, especially if there are variations of his autos on those reds
Baseball CARD Good > Baseball Good
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #1029
houston31911

Checklist next Wednesday?
houston31911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #1030
87toppsproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerider View Post
He could be 501 A in Heritage and 501 B in HHN
I think we have a winner!
87toppsproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #1031
HadWayTooMuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpatten View Post
Like with any rookie, it's a huge risk imo. He already has UCL problems and what happens when he blows is UCL at spring training? What if he misses a year because he needs a TJ? I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but the risk isn't worth it right now. Of course the price will soar out of the gate and 80% of collectors will be priced out of a box at their LCS. Heritage sells well on its own, the only reason I can think of why he's in it is because of Donruss and god forbid Panini beats them in the footrace.
I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again. What is a "Fair" price for a box of cards you pay say $55 for? What should get you retail for it?

In many retail situations (not cards,) the answer is $110 as the fair price. With cards, we are used to the answer being $65, which begs the question, how can anyone stay in business with that markup?

I've said this many times that this hype actually allows me to make a profit which is nice. The days of buying a box for $55 and selling for $65 seem to be in the rear view mirror, which is a good thing for business.

Market aside, is it unreasonable to ask $80 for a box of Heritage (non-hype?) Is it unreasonable to ask $90? What is the "fair" number to ask going with the assumption it's a $55 cost product (I don't know my cost right now.)
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #1032
chezball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again. What is a "Fair" price for a box of cards you pay say $55 for? What should get you retail for it?

In many retail situations (not cards,) the answer is $110 as the fair price. With cards, we are used to the answer being $65, which begs the question, how can anyone stay in business with that markup?

I've said this many times that this hype actually allows me to make a profit which is nice. The days of buying a box for $55 and selling for $65 seem to be in the rear view mirror, which is a good thing for business.

Market aside, is it unreasonable to ask $80 for a box of Heritage (non-hype?) Is it unreasonable to ask $90? What is the "fair" number to ask going with the assumption it's a $55 cost product (I don't know my cost right now.)
Split the difference $85.
keep your mouth shut beatoff/TDRavens
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #1033
ThoseBackPages

Quote:

great points!

i think $80 is about what H should be on release day
Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #1034
Tim

Quote:
great points!

but what if he gets cut to one case? and has to buy more for $100 per box?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #1035
HadWayTooMuch

Quote:
great points!

Let's take it a step farther.

Let's say there are 20 releases over a 3 month period.

We'll pretend all cost $55, though we know that is not the case.

If we agree that $80 is the "fair" number, how many products will sell for that fair number? How many will be $65 releases due to lack of interest? Let's say 5 are slow movers and 5 are hot hot hot. If you sell 5 of them at $65 and can get $95 for the hot 5, that balances everything out.

I've always been extremely analytical about these things. So using this example, maybe it's not so bad for a product to go through the roof assuming another will be extremely slow?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #1036
nera20

Quote:

This is a tough hobby/business to compare to other types of businesses etc furniture, clothing, appliances etc as this is a luxury for most people that do it and its a very sensitive market as a collector/customer could walk away at anytime because Cards aren't a NEED as other things. This may be a pointless post but all the complaining about the prices if you don't like them walk away. I feel bad for the people that are in this for a living as its a very tough business to do well in. There are a ton of wins in this business but it eats your life up.

Always Interested in Buying/Trading for Ken Griffey Jr Rare Inserts, Parallels, On Card Autos In Mariners Uniform
nera20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #1037
Mattsurewood

Over/Under on this thread reaching 80 pages by 2/28?
Mattsurewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #1038
HadWayTooMuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
but what if he gets cut to one case? and has to buy more for $100 per box?
Which leads to the next question. What happens when it's time to buy back in? Or is it time to just move on? Say buy back is $100 per box. Usually my buy back is not far from what you'd pay online for the same item. Now I have to ask my customers to pay $20 over online cost? That never ends well.

It's why I usually don't re-stock. If I had a multi-zillion dollar business, maybe I would. But buy the time I sell out of most products, my customers are moving on to the next product anyway.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #1039
houston31911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsurewood View Post
Over/Under on this thread reaching 80 pages by 2/28?
Over -140
Under +120
houston31911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #1040
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Let's take it a step farther.

Let's say there are 20 releases over a 3 month period.

We'll pretend all cost $55, though we know that is not the case.

If we agree that $80 is the "fair" number, how many products will sell for that fair number? How many will be $65 releases due to lack of interest? Let's say 5 are slow movers and 5 are hot hot hot. If you sell 5 of them at $65 and can get $95 for the hot 5, that balances everything out.

I've always been extremely analytical about these things. So using this example, maybe it's not so bad for a product to go through the roof assuming another will be extremely slow?
its bad when its a product *i* like! LOL

but yea, i cant bring myself to spend $100 on a box of Heritage
Old 02-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #1041
morningrushnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera20 View Post
This is a tough hobby/business to compare to other types of businesses etc furniture, clothing, appliances etc as this is a luxury for most people that do it and its a very sensitive market as a collector/customer could walk away at anytime because Cards aren't a NEED as other things. This may be a pointless post but all the complaining about the prices if you don't like them walk away. I feel bad for the people that are in this for a living as its a very tough business to do well in. There are a ton of wins in this business but it eats your life up.
To add to this, people who are in this as a business, and are trying to maximize their margins, have to compete against those who are just in it as either a gamble or hobby, neither of which have any real concern on profiting but are more concerned with just getting "something" back.
morningrushnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #1042
nera20

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningrushnc View Post
To add to this, people who are in this as a business, and are trying to maximize their margins, have to compete against those who are just in it as either a gamble or hobby, neither of which have any real concern on profiting but are more concerned with just getting "something" back.
Yeah it makes it real tough for the people that do it for a living. For every hot product, or nice lot you get for a super deal, there is so many failures and risks that are taken. For me I wouldn't want to live that way but that's just me.

Always Interested in Buying/Trading for Ken Griffey Jr Rare Inserts, Parallels, On Card Autos In Mariners Uniform
nera20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #1043
PDCCollectibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningrushnc View Post
I've tried to get this across many times....some of us are in it to make some money and to add to our PC and the profit doesn't pay the bills. That's why you see race to the bottom or low prices or others saying 'they don't know what they are doing', etc. It's a situation where if you break a case and Net a hundred bucks, it's a win, $100 you never had....
PDCCollectibles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #1044
prospects

have not busted heritage since like 2011, do they still include the checklist cards in packs?
prospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #1045
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
have not busted heritage since like 2011, do they still include the checklist cards in packs?
nope.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #1046
vanpatten

Quote:

I like the points you make especially since you run a LCS. I agree with a few of the others and say I'd be willing to go $80-85. I guess I was speaking more toward the "hype" that drives the product up past the $110-120/box range. Of course this is good for business, and as an LCS, you rely on the hype, but I think it discourages small time collectors who may want to buy a box here and there. They would rather spend that $$ on a group break or singles on ebay, which are big competitors.
vanpatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #1047
brentandbecca

Quote:
i agree that 2K is not "crazy" on the reds, especially if there are variations of his autos on those reds
I think 2k red is light, and that's if it's numbered to the year
his red could be /10 or /25 EASILY
and then watch out!
My ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/brentandbecca?_rdc=1
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #1048
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
I think 2k red is light, and that's if it's numbered to the year
his red could be /10 or /25 EASILY
and then watch out!
yes, i was thinking it'll be /69 like the others, but yorue right, i think it will be SPd leading to much more $$$

p.s. sell your cases!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #1049
cj828282

Looks like next week until the checklist. Another week to wait.
cj828282 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #1050
beauspencer

I can't see it being 501A/501B because 501 starts the HHN run. It's gonna be SSP1 & SSP2 or SO-1 & SO-2