Blowout Cards Forums
2017 black Friday wave 8

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #576
Trackman5476
Member
 
Trackman5476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
As I said, Michigan was getting jumped.
Most believed it was 50/50, I believe if Colorado won it would have changed perspectives. OSU, PSU, UW and Michigan will possibly all be pre-season top 10 next season.

Will be curious to see if PSU can pull another upset out in the Rose Bowl. Big Ten has some tough Matchups, Michigan and UW are the only ones favored by at least 7.
__________________
"Protect the innocent and punish the guilty"

Last edited by Trackman5476; 12-04-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Trackman5476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #577
rats60
Member
 
rats60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachnip13 View Post
When you're comparing two teams in sports, the actual football game between the two teams is pretty relevant. We're not solving a question on a statistics test. This is real life.

Here's your argument: "the Penn State win over Ohio State shouldn't matter because the game was at Penn State. Therefore we should use common opponents....even though I just tried to convince you that games at home sites can't be used because they are biased toward one team."

Stop and think about that. You disappeared last time I pointed that out, yet here you go again.

So, please, give us your latest tie-breaker scenario without using any game data for games played at home sites. Thanks in advance.
Tie breaker means that the teams are equal. When one team has a better record than the other, head to head is worthless. That should be common sense, so why is it so hard for you to understand?
rats60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #578
rats60
Member
 
rats60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachnip13 View Post
FYI, guess what the first tie-breaker is in every NFL division. And for the wildcard spots. And in the NBA. And in MLB. And in every NCAA league in every sport. And in every state high school association in every sport.
Yes when the two teams are actually tied. When one team finishes one game behind another, it never jumps the first place team because it won head to head.
rats60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #579
coachnip13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Tie breaker means that the teams are equal. When one team has a better record than the other, head to head is worthless. That should be common sense, so why is it so hard for you to understand?
What are you talking about? Don't jump into conversations that you don't understand. This all goes back to the division tie-breaker within the Big 10. Ohio State and Penn State were both 8-1, so yes, it did come down to head-to-head.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #580
coachnip13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Yes when the two teams are actually tied. When one team finishes one game behind another, it never jumps the first place team because it won head to head.
Good lord. Thanks for the breaking news, champ.

Again, this goes back to Ohio State and Penn State both being 8-1. Keep up.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #581
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 15,270
Default

All conferences need to drop divisions and go with the top two teams to play in a championship game (if they HAVE to keep them...they are dumb). The Big10 would have been PSU vs OSU and then we wouldn't have any issues.

I know they can't play every team in the conference but use head to head and then if they didn't play each other, SOS for conference games as the tiebreakers.
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #582
lambeauleap87
Member
 
lambeauleap87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 16,895
Default

Glad to see the Buckeyes deservingly get in. Crazy to have them in the playoffs when you look at all the talent they lost from last year. My expectation is that they beat Clemson in a close one and then lose to Alabama by a pretty sizeable margin. No one's beating them this year.
__________________
"Opening Day is coming soon, and even Obama can't take that away."
I collect Packers, former Ohio State Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, and Indians.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #583
motu79
Member
 
motu79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spokane
Posts: 2,633
Default

Ohio State is in because they lost 1 game and beat:

#14 Oklahome by 21 (at Oklahoma)
#8 Wisconsin by 7 (at Wisconsin)
#10 Nebraska by 59 (FIFTY-NINE)
#3 Michigan by 3

Yes they lost 1 game to Penn State on the road, but Penn State has 2 losses and (before the Conference Championship) only played 2 ranked teams TOTAL - losing to #4 Michigan by 39 points (who Ohio State beat) and beating #2 Ohio State at home.

Congrats to Penn State for winning the Big 10, but looking at the overall resume of both teams, Ohio St more than deserved to be in the playoffs with their schedule and record.
motu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #584
asujbl
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 34,158
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu79 View Post
Ohio State is in because they lost 1 game and beat:

#14 Oklahome by 21 (at Oklahoma)
#8 Wisconsin by 7 (at Wisconsin)
#10 Nebraska by 59 (FIFTY-NINE)
#3 Michigan by 3

Yes they lost 1 game to Penn State on the road, but Penn State has 2 losses and (before the Conference Championship) only played 2 ranked teams TOTAL - losing to #4 Michigan by 39 points (who Ohio State beat) and beating #2 Ohio State at home.

Congrats to Penn State for winning the Big 10, but looking at the overall resume of both teams, Ohio St more than deserved to be in the playoffs with their schedule and record.

Yep...
__________________
https://ohiosundevils.smugmug.com/
Browns/Cavs/Tribe/Buckeyes/Jackets/Devils
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #585
rats60
Member
 
rats60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachnip13 View Post
What are you talking about? Don't jump into conversations that you don't understand. This all goes back to the division tie-breaker within the Big 10. Ohio State and Penn State were both 8-1, so yes, it did come down to head-to-head.
No, the title of this thread is college football playoffs. That means all games count. 11-1 is better than 11-2, so head to head is irrelevant. Nice try at a strawman though.
rats60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #586
arkeeper
Member
 
arkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu79 View Post
Ohio State is in because they lost 1 game and beat:

#14 Oklahome by 21 (at Oklahoma)
#8 Wisconsin by 7 (at Wisconsin)
#10 Nebraska by 59 (FIFTY-NINE)
#3 Michigan by 3

Yes they lost 1 game to Penn State on the road, but Penn State has 2 losses and (before the Conference Championship) only played 2 ranked teams TOTAL - losing to #4 Michigan by 39 points (who Ohio State beat) and beating #2 Ohio State at home.

Congrats to Penn State for winning the Big 10, but looking at the overall resume of both teams, Ohio St more than deserved to be in the playoffs with their schedule and record.
I'm an Ohio State fan and I hate it when people do this. They aren't ranked there anymore. You don't claim a win over #3 team when they're preseason ranked #3 and then lose 6 games and become unranked. And you're making the Oklahoma win look worse. We're 3-1 vs top 10 teams.

AP
#7 Oklahome by 21 (at Oklahoma)
#8 Wisconsin by 7 (at Wisconsin)
#24 Nebraska by 59 (FIFTY-NINE)
#6 Michigan by 3
Loss to #5 Penn State

And still going by the AP, Penn State played 5 different ranked teams before Wisconsin.
__________________
Bengals (Recent players), Bills (Early 90's)
Buckeyes, Louisville Cardinals
Peyton Siva Autos
http://s22.photobucket.com/user/ark_keeper/library/Sports%20Cards/FT%20-%20FS
arkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #587
trixstar
Member
 
trixstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 22,324
Default

Paul Finebaum literally just tweeted "Can Alabama afford to lose to UW and still make the championship game"
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #588
motu79
Member
 
motu79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spokane
Posts: 2,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkeeper View Post
I'm an Ohio State fan and I hate it when people do this. They aren't ranked there anymore. You don't claim a win over #3 team when they're preseason ranked #3 and then lose 6 games and become unranked. And you're making the Oklahoma win look worse. We're 3-1 vs top 10 teams.

AP
#7 Oklahome by 21 (at Oklahoma)
#8 Wisconsin by 7 (at Wisconsin)
#24 Nebraska by 59 (FIFTY-NINE)
#6 Michigan by 3
Loss to #5 Penn State

And still going by the AP, Penn State played 5 different ranked teams before Wisconsin.
Does the Playoff Committee only look at what teams are ranked at the end of the season, and then go back through each team's schedule to plug them in like you did? Or do they even look at the ranking at the time the teams met?

Legit questions.

I imagine they do a combination of both, because looking at the current rankings, the loss to Penn State looks really good because they're currently ranked #5, but when they played, Penn State wasn't even ranked.

So is that a positive or negative towards Ohio St? Did they lose to an un-ranked opponent at the time? Or did they lose to the #5 team in the nation now that the season has played out?
motu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #589
hairysasquatch
Member
 
hairysasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln., Albuquerque, NM 87104
Posts: 8,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
Paul Finebaum literally just tweeted "Can Alabama afford to lose to UW and still make the championship game"
Hahahaha what a worthless hemorrhoid.
__________________
I am no longer offering a signature AND I will never post in the Sports & Politics Subforum.
hairysasquatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #590
coachnip13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
No, the title of this thread is college football playoffs. That means all games count. 11-1 is better than 11-2, so head to head is irrelevant. Nice try at a strawman though.
Again, don't use big words that you don't understand. This conversation started well before you got out of school and decided to jump in. I know you don't have the attention span for this, but if you go back through the thread, you will see where the discussion began.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #591
cnewby
Member
 
cnewby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 8,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
No, the title of this thread is college football playoffs. That means all games count. 11-1 is better than 11-2, so head to head is irrelevant. Nice try at a strawman though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachnip13 View Post
Again, don't use big words that you don't understand. This conversation started well before you got out of school and decided to jump in. I know you don't have the attention span for this, but if you go back through the thread, you will see where the discussion began.
Since when is irrelevant a big word?
cnewby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #592
coachnip13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewby View Post
Since when is irrelevant a big word?
Since rats60 is using it.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #593
rats60
Member
 
rats60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewby View Post
Since when is irrelevant a big word?
He is still in grade school and doesn't understand was a strawman is. I also have grandchildren older than him.
rats60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #594
coachnip13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 2,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
He is still in grade school and doesn't understand was a strawman is. I also have grandchildren older than him.
Lame. Did you go back through the thread yet, or would that be too embarrassing?
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.