Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Cliffroach

Default Excel vs Access for card data

This game is a two part question - and I thought I’d ask it here instead of the baseball forum.

1- has anyone created an access database to keep track of your cards? If so, what do you think are they advantages over doing it in excel? I don’t know access so it would be a huge learning curve for me. But I know excel pretty well and I’ve talked to someone who knows access and I’m just not sure I see a huge advantage to doing it in Access.

2- for people who use excel for card info - do you do one sheet for each set and keep multiple sets in one file? Or do you do one tab for each subsets and then have a file for each set? I’ve done it both ways and I lean towards all the cards in one sheet. Problems exist though with either direction, so even if you don’t use excel what do you think would work better?

Just curious how people store their cards or if people have thoughts on either. . I’m interested in Access but just not sure I see the advantages for sets. Setting one up for a PC player could be pretty good but again I think it could just as easily be done in Excel.

Last edited by iluvfish2; 02-13-2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: thread moved
Cliffroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Cliffroach

Darn meant to post this in the Off Topic forum. Anyway to get it moved?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
Branesergen

Hit the red triangle under your name and ask it to be moved. They may or may not depending on where it should be.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
Cliffroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
Hit the red triangle under your name and ask it to be moved. They may or may not depending on where it should be.
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
sak0309

I use Excel. I have everything on one tab. It makes it easy to filter on any field (year, brand, player, team, etc.) Excel can handle up to 1MM rows on a sheet.

I don't think Access is necessary unless you're dealing with millions of cards or have a need to generate/print custom reports.
sak0309 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Rabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak0309 View Post
I use Excel. I have everything on one tab. It makes it easy to filter on any field (year, brand, player, team, etc.) Excel can handle up to 1MM rows on a sheet.

I don't think Access is necessary unless you're dealing with millions of cards or have a need to generate/print custom reports.
I also use Excel and only have one sheet for everything. It is easy to organize based on different columns for year, set, etc like you said and that's all I need.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Cliffroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak0309 View Post

So do you use this as checklist where you have the entire set listed out or just to catalogue what cards you have?

I have the entire set listed out including any parallels so for instance 2018 Topps Series 1 has over 7k cards. Overkill I know but its a relativity easy copy and paste with some small tweaks after.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
sak0309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffroach View Post
So do you use this as checklist where you have the entire set listed out or just to catalogue what cards you have?

I have the entire set listed out including any parallels so for instance 2018 Topps Series 1 has over 7k cards. Overkill I know but its a relativity easy copy and paste with some small tweaks after.
I use Excel for mainly my base. I added a column for the number/letter that I write on the storage box, since I probably have now nearly 100 boxes.

I use Google Sites for my shorter lists such as Auto/GU, serial #'d, and chrome refractors/colors that I refer to other potential traders.
sak0309 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Scottish Punk

Coming from somebody in IT. Don't use Access ... for anything.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
wethenorth

I created my own app to keep track of my spending and earnings
Old 02-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
Deathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
Yep, you can definitely tell when someone has Access experience...

Access is a plague.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
Deathgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
mainerunr

I use Access. Mostly because I have a few queries that I'm just not sure how I would execute in excel (cards in a location, cards by player name, a set sort by count, a set sort in order, etc). I do have two 'number' fields, one for numbers, one for letters so if the card number is 87T-2 the 2 goes in numbers, the 87T goes in letters so that I can sort by card number. Also, when I originally started, Excel had a limit of 65,536 rows which was not enough.

Heck, there are things that would be easier to do in Excel (because I have no idea how to do them in Access such as tally value when I have multiples of a card...I've played around with it using BV just to see if I can find something I am happy with but so far the solution seems to be that I need to do the math manually and enter that (say I have Qty 4 at $10 each, I can't have a field that does Qty * Value or if I can, I have no idea how while in excel, that is easy).

The other thing I struggle with is location indicator. I probably should have two fields, one for location in a set, one for 'loose' but then I also need an indicator of how many sets.

Those of you familiar with Access would probably laugh at my pathetic mess of an arrangement but it seems to work for me.

I'd be curious to see how someone using Excel has it set up but it would have to be for say 10,000+ different cards.

Last edited by mainerunr; 02-13-2018 at 01:41 PM.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
Cliffroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
Suggestion for an alternative?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
Sets2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs View Post
I also use Excel and only have one sheet for everything. It is easy to organize based on different columns for year, set, etc like you said and that's all I need.
A little ot; but similiar.

I want to make a spreadsheet with excel with cards I have, need, etc; however, I want the spreadsheet to be able to read the title column and scrape the latest ebay price or the avg ebay price {preferably from sold listings} etc. This way I can have an accurate value sheet for when I go to shows and trade or buy, or sell for that matter. And can update it whenever I want. I saw a you tube video, the guy did golf clubs using VBA; Which I have no idea how to use. Can anyone help? I would need step by step instructions; or PM me and I'll gladly pay you for your time in helping me make this dream a reality.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
Josh611

From my little experience with Access, all it does is integrate Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

You can basically do everything in Excel. Excel is one of the most useful programs on the computer. There isn't much you can't do in Excel.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
bobthewondercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sets2 View Post
A little ot; but similiar.

I want to make a spreadsheet with excel with cards I have, need, etc; however, I want the spreadsheet to be able to read the title column and scrape the latest ebay price or the avg ebay price {preferably from sold listings} etc. This way I can have an accurate value sheet for when I go to shows and trade or buy, or sell for that matter. And can update it whenever I want. I saw a you tube video, the guy did golf clubs using VBA; Which I have no idea how to use. Can anyone help? I would need step by step instructions; or PM me and I'll gladly pay you for your time in helping me make this dream a reality.

The main obstacle is inconsistent eBay listing text. Have to check everything by hand if you want accurate data, which defeats the point. Also for best offer pricing you have to scrape off of sortsof or worthpoint