Blowout Cards Forums
Best Sellers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: How would YOU Rank the 4-Sport GOATS?
Gretzky-Ruth-Jordan-Brady 6 6.19%
Gretzky-Jordan-Ruth-Brady 3 3.09%
Ruth-Gretzky-Jordan-Brady 3 3.09%
Ruth-Jordan-Gretzky-Brady 6 6.19%
Jordan-Gretzky-Ruth-Brady 8 8.25%
Jordan-Ruth-Gretzky-Brady 15 15.46%
Brady-Gretzky-Ruth-Jordan 0 0%
Brady-Ruth-Gretzky-Jordan 2 2.06%
Different Order but these 4 Players 8 8.25%
I would have a DIFFERENT player in my GOAT List 46 47.42%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #26
GoJays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW3FAN View Post
There is a reason he was "The Great One".
Gretzky will always be the greatest hockey player ever.
One year he won scoring title, and he had more assists than the second place player had total points.
He at one time held like 92 NHL records, and STILL holds 61.
I would disagree, and say that Orr dominated and revolutionized the game like no other. Only defenseman to win the Art Ross Trophy (which he did twice), put up an obscene +124 in 1970-71, won eight consecutive Norris trophies and three Hart trophies, and controlled the game from both ends of the ice. I'd argue that Orr's vision and hockey sense were better than Gretzky's, and that the only thing Gretzky has on Orr is longevity.

But, this is a discussion for the hockey forum, not the football one! I'd be more than happy to keep the debate going, it's an awesome topic with no clear answer. Heck, there are those that might say Gretzky doesn't belong in the top three!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #27
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
OP, the threads you create are dumb. Stop please and thanks.
I elect you Mayor of this place.
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #28
Ray27Ray52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
I elect you Mayor of this place.
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Ray27Ray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #29
Jameis1of1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
OP, the threads you create are dumb. Stop please and thanks.
Post on threads you enjoy and not those you don't ... unless you enjoy wasting your own time ... in that case ... carry on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaMilan92 View Post
You gotta stop with these threads.

I get you want to be the one to start a long discussion, but it's getting out of hand.
Post on threads you enjoy and not those you don't ... unless you enjoy wasting your own time ... in that case ... carry on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
I would disagree, and say that Orr dominated and revolutionized the game like no other. Only defenseman to win the Art Ross Trophy (which he did twice), put up an obscene +124 in 1970-71, won eight consecutive Norris trophies and three Hart trophies, and controlled the game from both ends of the ice. I'd argue that Orr's vision and hockey sense were better than Gretzky's, and that the only thing Gretzky has on Orr is longevity.

But, this is a discussion for the hockey forum, not the football one! I'd be more than happy to keep the debate going, it's an awesome topic with no clear answer. Heck, there are those that might say Gretzky doesn't belong in the top three!
Really? That is fascinating to me. I'm not a hockey guy, can't stand to watch a single game unless it's Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals ... or the gold medal game of the Olympics and even then only if Canada or the US is involved.

I don't know a lot about hockey history, but honestly, it never really even occurred to me that there would be a single knowledgeable hockey fan on earth who wouldn't include Gretzky in the top 3 ... who would the three players that rank ahead of him be?
Jameis1of1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #30
88horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Old 05-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #31
Jameis1of1
Banned

To all trolls and people who actually take time out of their day to post rude comments and make it clear they don't like a thread (as if the OP would ever care about their opinion in the first place ... I sure don't):

Old 05-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #32
duwal

Definitely would go in the order of Ruth-Gretzky-Jordan-Brady
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #33
Siberian13

Until you actually post the photos of the amazing Winston 1/1 collection, it's kind of hard to take you seriously. The others on here feel the same way. I'm not saying you're lying about the collection but not being able to afford a camera to take a quick photo while buying up expensive 1/1's seems a little off/sketchy. Show us this amazing PC!
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #34
Coventry6546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameis1of1 View Post
To all trolls and people who actually take time out of their day to post rude comments and make it clear they don't like a thread (as if the OP would ever care about their opinion in the first place ... I sure don't):
]
I had to double check the poster on this and make sure it wasn't Jameis3of3=1of1 or something. Aren't you the OP of thread?
Coventry6546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #35
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Until you actually post the photos of the amazing Winston 1/1 collection, it's kind of hard to take you seriously. The others on here feel the same way. I'm not saying you're lying about the collection but not being able to afford a camera to take a quick photo while buying up expensive 1/1's seems a little off/sketchy. Show us this amazing PC!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #36
BGT Masters

What was your id before this one?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #37
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT Masters View Post
Jamarcus1of1
Old 05-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #38
Jameis1of1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
What? What in the world does my Jameis 1/1 collection have to do with this poll? It cracks me up that so many people demand to see my collection and feel as if they have the "right" to see my collection. That kinda weirds me out in a way. However there are members who have seen multiple cards of mine and four members I have bought expensive 1/1s from. Regardless, I have said many times I plan to show my collection in the future but I am a perfectionist, have no interest in snapping a quick phone pic of all the cards, and want to do nice scans of everything and a write-up for every card and display it all when it's ready. On top of that I am currently trading away many of my non-auto'd 1/1s for other auto'd 1/1s as I have sort of a "plan" I am following for my collection. So ... everyone will have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
Definitely would go in the order of Ruth-Gretzky-Jordan-Brady
I wouldn't really argue with that order
Old 05-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #39
Seahawks fan

Gretzky, Jordan, Ruth, Rice, Ken Climo
Old 05-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #40
Jameis1of1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coventry6546 View Post
I had to double check the poster on this and make sure it wasn't Jameis3of3=1of1 or something. Aren't you the OP of thread?
Yup ... and there are a lot of trolls who like to post inane comments which is why I posted the pics ... those people are just wasting their own time as I couldn't care the less what they think or say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT Masters View Post
This is my original ID, I never had another name as I just joined in February of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post
Gretzky, Jordan, Ruth, Rice, Ken Climo
I have no idea who Ken Climo is, but your top four are solid

Last edited by Jameis1of1; 05-02-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #41
popmaz

Mays, Brown, Roy, Robertson
popmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #42
oldgoldy97

Quote:
Yup ... and there are a lot of trolls who like to post inane comments which is why I posted the pics ... those people are just wasting their own time as I could care the less what they think or say.

This is my original ID, I never had another name as I just joined in February of this year.

I have no idea who Ken Climo is, but your top four are solid
You couldn't care less. If you could care less, that means you care some amount.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #43
Jameis1of1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmaz View Post
Wow ... that's a cool list ... the youngest guy on it is Patrick Roy ... I like it
Old 05-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #44
RogerGodahell

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmaz View Post
I read that real quick and thought it said Roy Orbison
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #45
oldgoldy97

Tagliabue, Stern, Gordon, Chiklis.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #46
Chaddie84

Jameis Winston
Jameis Winston
Jameis Winston
Jameis Winston

In that order.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #47
Jameis1of1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
Jameis Winston
Jameis Winston
Jameis Winston
Jameis Winston

In that order.
Um, you do understand even I didn't include him in any of the poll options, right?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #48
Hess687

Brian Bosworth, Todd Van Poppel, Arvydas Sabonis, aaaaannnd......this is a tough one....but I'll go with Tonya Harding.
Hess687 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #49
Jameis1of1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
Brian Bosworth, Todd Van Poppel, Arvydas Sabonis, aaaaannnd......this is a tough one....but I'll go with Tonya Harding.
Why in the world did you include Sabonis with those goofs? Sabonis was AMAZING in his prime and even as a broken down old man was pretty darn good in the NBA ... I don't get it?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #50
GoJays

Quote:
Really? That is fascinating to me. I'm not a hockey guy, can't stand to watch a single game unless it's Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals ... or the gold medal game of the Olympics and even then only if Canada or the US is involved.

I don't know a lot about hockey history, but honestly, it never really even occurred to me that there would be a single knowledgeable hockey fan on earth who wouldn't include Gretzky in the top 3 ... who would the three players that rank ahead of him be?
It can be a contentious issue, especially with old-school/European fans. Dominik Hasek is often included in the discussion (and for good reason, he is the best goaltender of all time), as are Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard. European fans also include players like Valeri Kharlamov, who never played in the NHL but put together a legendary international career.

I don't see any way Gretzky isn't in the top three, nor do most people. But many hockey purists see things differently.