Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #51
digitalbc

TMNT is always awesome
digitalbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #52
Cyber Warrior

I could of really used some eBay bonus bucks these past two months. They were constantly sending me 3x, 4x and once in a while 5x. I havent received one offer all year long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
If you have an account with CGC, can you look up grader notes on any slab, or just the ones you subbed? If its any, and somebody doesn't mind looking up the grader notes, I'd love to have them.
I think only on books you sub under your own account. 2012+ is free, anything before that is a $5 fee.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #53
rw0926

I'm becoming such a sucker for HQ books right now
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #54
marino13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
I could of really used some eBay bonus bucks these past two months. They were constantly sending me 3x, 4x and once in a while 5x. I havent received one offer all year long

There's your problem. (hint)

Whenever you received the BB offer -- just sign in and activate it (even if you do not use it). After a couple times of un-activated offer, they just stop sending.

(I only shop when it is 4x or better. Got like $500ish carried over to April '16. Hopefully, that is not the max allow cuz that would suck)
Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #55
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
When I get a 5x offer, I always try to treat myself to something on my watch list. That, or a tube of silver philharmonics, if they are listed in an applicable catagory.

I try to use my gfs account sparingly in hopes that she will start getting the 10% off offers. No luck yet.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #56
Spider-Fan

Default TTM Success!

I returned home from a business trip this morning and was very excited to find a SASE (well, it was a flat rate bubble mailer) I sent to Peter Laird a while ago sitting on my doorstep. I can't remember the last time I was so excited to open a package!

The books are a little worse for wear, but I am thrilled nonetheless. I didn't pack them the way I would if I were sending them to another collector, because I wanted to make things as easy for him as possible. I just slid the bagged/boarded books into comic top-loaders and put a piece of painter's tape on the top to hold them in. For that very reason, I didn't send anything particularly valuable. I was hoping to get them signed by Kevin Eastman at a convention this year, but now I think I will only get the TMNT Adventures #1 signed by both, and shoot to get a matching quick sketch from Eastman on my other TMNT #51 blank variant.

(red marker, bottom right corner)

I'm going to have to take a good look at the TMNT Adventures #1. If I think it will hit 9.4, I might go through CSBS and have Eastman witnessed and Laird authenticated. We'll see... I've got a couple months before I need to decide on that one.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #57
digitalbc

Very cool!
digitalbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #58
pjray55

That is awesome! Personally I think it would be more rewarding than just waiting in line at a con

Congrats!
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #59
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
That is awesome! Personally I think it would be more rewarding than just waiting in line at a con

Congrats!
Thanks guys.

It was definitely exciting, and I'm glad that I took the chance sending the books out. That said, I would rather have the opportunity to meet him. I also included a note which, among other things, asked if he was making any convention appearances on the east coast this year and included my email address. All I received back was the books though.

Still awesome, and two of the highlights of my collection
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #60
CMS1

That is a nice surprise to find waiting for you. Eastman is supposed to be at Garden State Comic Fest this summer, so you might be able to get some stuff done then.
CMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #61
Spider-Fan

Thank you, and thanks for the heads up. He typically does some in the NY/Philly area. Good to have a known for this year. Last I checked, his appearance list wasn't up on the site yet.

This particular show is in my home town. Of course, I skipped the inaugural show last year and am moving before July. Will still plan to attend. Only moving 35 minutes away.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #62
IndySportsCards

I've met Kevin before, he's a very nice and interesting person who's happy to share his love of the medium with others. I really dig him. Nice pickup!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #63
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I've met Kevin before, he's a very nice and interesting person who's happy to share his love of the medium with others. I really dig him. Nice pickup!
I have also met him. He is really cool. I am totally looking forward to meeting him again, hopefully with my other blank cover in hand. I didn't have it last year at NYCC, but I was still thrilled with what I walked away with!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #64
Spider-Fan

Default pity press anybody?

Speaking of books that would benefit from a press (we were talking about that, right?), here is my latest pick-up. Most of the bends don't break color, and I'm hoping a press doesn't cause them too. I'm afraid to really open and examine the book in its current condition, but by all accounts it is in excellent shape. Cover is nice, pages are cream at best but there are no noteworthy tears along the edges. I think this could easily end up 8.0 or better. Even if it doesn't, at $36, I think I did real good

Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #65
rw0926

that's a nice book, though I'm not good at grading and such I would love to have that in my collection.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #66
daxwills

That ASM 194 is pretty nice but I'm curious as to what caused it to get "wavy" like that. But hell for 36 bucks I'd have taken a shot at it too. Send it to Indy and see what he can do with it.
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #67
Spider-Fan

I've been tipped off to a kinda local shop owner that presses. Gonna look into that guy and if he is good and the price is right, I've got a small stack going. Trying to avoid shipping if possible, both to save a little money and to reduce potential for loss/damage.

Also kinda interested in learning to do it myself. Seems a press will pay for itself pretty quickly, once you figure out what you are doing.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #68
Spider-Fan

Some recent pick-ups. Wouldn't normally pick up such a low grade Bronze Age slab, but at $19.50 I thought the price on this one was pretty incredible. Would eventually like to upgrade to a 9.0 or better, but for the being this will do nicely. One of many junkies that picked this statue recently. This will be its temporary display while the girlfriend and I look for a new place.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #69
SlackerBoy9

Quote:
Some recent pick-ups. Wouldn't normally pick up such a low grade Bronze Age slab, but at $19.50 I thought the price on this one was pretty incredible. Would eventually like to upgrade to a 9.0 or better, but for the being this will do nicely. One of many junkies that picked this statue recently. This will be its temporary display while the girlfriend and I look for a new place.

Hard to not pick up that slab for that price
SlackerBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #70
pjray55

Did you have that Amazing Spiderman 194 pressed and if so what were the results? For $36 that is a great deal.
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #71
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
Did you have that Amazing Spiderman 194 pressed and if so what were the results? For $36 that is a great deal.
Haven't had it pressed yet. The one on the shelf is a different copy, I think in the 7.0-8.0 range. I've got a half dozen or so copies of that book. It's one I always keep end eye out for. The way Sony and Marvel plan on extending the cinematic universe around Spider-Man, I'm thinking it will skyrocket in price one of these days. I don't have anything better than a 9.0 right now, but I would love to find a good deal on a 9.4 or better. Black Cat is one of my favorite characters to collect.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #72
daxwills

Quote:
Black Cat is one of my favorite characters to collect.
I can think of good two reasons why.
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #73
Spider-Fan

Spent more than I wanted, but still think I got a good deal on this page. Enjoy

Birds of Prey #33 pg 12 pencils by Robson Rocha

Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #74
rw0926

wow loving your pick ups I still am just looking at oa right now. I'm hoping to get at least one before the end of the year. I always love when they are posted.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #75
Spider-Fan

My pick-ups today at East Coast Comic Con today. Took another big bite out of my goal to put together a complete Carnage appearance run.

$1 boxes

$2-$5

$10+