AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #26
88horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiants72 View Post
Having watched a number of McAdoo's press conferences, he came off as a man with zero-leadership ability, a lack of personal accountability, and generally clueless.

He never had control of the team. Coughlin was a renowned disciplinarian, and a lot of guys in the league didn't want to play for him, but I never recall him having to suspend top players for mysterious reasons. The guy had no control of his team, which I believe can also be seen in their play over the latter half of the season.

Then the whole Eli debacle demonstrated McAdoo/Reese had a lack of respect for veterans and team/history, made no football sense, alienated fans further, and made no football sense (desperate attempt to save job).

I don't think you fire a coach for a bad season, but a bad season can tell you a lot about who your coach is. McAdoo is an incompetent coward. In good faith, I am trying to think of another coach in recent memory for any tea, I would say that about...and I am drawing a blank. Kiffin maybe? But I recall him having some level of competence.

Ownership had no choice. I'd be stunned if McAdoo ever sniffs a coordinator position again.
Well put. It’s funny to read this because it almost describes Pagano quite accurately.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
TWard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88horsepower View Post
Well put. It’s funny to read this because it almost describes Pagano quite accurately.

I was thinking the same thing.....
TWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #28
xbignick

Ownership approved the benching. It's not like he went rogue with it, got their scapegoat. Now did it backfire enough to reverse the benching?
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #29
xbignick

"Giants are going back to Eli Manning as their starting quarterback, per @JordanRaanan."
Old 12-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #30
andyzk3

So freaking excited!!! They were becoming tough to watch even WITH everyone healthy. Looking forward to the next draft!!!

Set Progress: 17/65 (26.1%)
andyzk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #31
beaver1080

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo about damn time
Old 12-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #32
NYGiants72

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Ownership approved the benching. It's not like he went rogue with it, got their scapegoat. Now did it backfire enough to reverse the benching?
From what I had read, it sounded like ownership was under the impression that they would pull Manning in a game if it became non-competitive, not that they were proposing a predetermine QB switch at the half.

Also, when I heard Mara's comments last week...it sounded like he was stretching to sound like the decision was made in a responsible manner - but I got the sense he wasn't a fan of it.
NYGiants72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #33
ntgm37

Why would Eli even bother suiting up? I would tell ownership to go pound sand.
ntgm37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #34
blevins26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiants72 View Post
From what I had read, it sounded like ownership was under the impression that they would pull Manning in a game if it became non-competitive, not that they were proposing a predetermine QB switch at the half.

Also, when I heard Mara's comments last week...it sounded like he was stretching to sound like the decision was made in a responsible manner - but I got the sense he wasn't a fan of it.
That's an interesting idea. I wish we knew exactly what had happened. Based on McAdoo's communications with the media and how the team seems to have reacted to his leadership, he doesn't seem like the best communicator. So it's definitely plausible that McAdoo went up the chain with "hey, maybe we should think about playing Geno this week if things aren't going well" and made it sound one way to ownership and then communicated it to Eli as "we're going with Geno in the 2nd half." Would make sense because it seems like McAdoo wanted to play Geno to prove the offensive struggles were Eli's fault.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #35
BlackDiam0nd66

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
I think benching Eli was the last straw of like, "how can we let this guy keep coaching?"

This isn't the Tom Coughlin firing where you could excuse the record due to injuries.

This is an offense that trended downward as last season went on. They have been horrid this year, both with & without their starters.

This is a defense that was great last year and gave up 51 a few weeks ago. Multiple players have been suspended with very little reason given.

I think McAdoo's failure was more in the people aspect of the game than X's & O's. I'm glad he's gone, just wish it was sooner.
This right here!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #36
NYGiants72

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
That's an interesting idea. I wish we knew exactly what had happened. Based on McAdoo's communications with the media and how the team seems to have reacted to his leadership, he doesn't seem like the best communicator. So it's definitely plausible that McAdoo went up the chain with "hey, maybe we should think about playing Geno this week if things aren't going well" and made it sound one way to ownership and then communicated it to Eli as "we're going with Geno in the 2nd half." Would make sense because it seems like McAdoo wanted to play Geno to prove the offensive struggles were Eli's fault.
And we'll never know...because John Mara possesses the integrity McAdoo lacked. Excerpt from the linked article:

"If you want to blame anyone on that, blame me. I could’ve overruled it," Mara said. "Our team isn’t good enough. We’re 2-10."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...o10xdwlchciqkd

He could have blamed McAdoo, which everyone else rightly does, but puts the blame on himself. That is the type of guy I would want as a head coach for the Giants.
NYGiants72 is offline   Reply With Quote