Blowout Cards Forums
2018 flush

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
CaptainUgly

Default Never been too upset with shill bidding until now

I usually don't care if someone shill bids me since I just put bids at an amount that I'm comfortable with, regardless who is bidding against me. Today I've changed my tune. I had a guy shill me and then cancel his bid once he beat me and then put in another bid right below my bid. F that...the seller can keep the dam* card!
CaptainUgly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
rats60

Why are you bidding with enough time so someone can do this to you? Just snipe in the last few seconds.
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
dictoresno

I hate when sellers are selling multiples of the same card, and one bidder keeps bidding both of them up. Like just bid on one, ill bid on the other. That way we can both get one for cheaper.
dictoresno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
ThoseBackPages

gixen.com
#LighthouseBONER
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
CaptainUgly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
gixen.com

Thanks, I'll give it a try on my purchase.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
dictoresno

Is there shilling here? The high bidder has 13 bid retractions recently, but low bidding with this particular seller. He has bids in on both cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-...19.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-...19.m1438.l2649
Old 01-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
dictoresno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainUgly View Post
Thanks, I'll give it a try on my purchase.
I personally haven't used a snipe website or program, I usually just manually bid in the last few seconds so I can asses what the current bidding situation is. If I don't like the way people are inflating the price, I'll back out.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
CaptainUgly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
I personally haven't used a snipe website or program, I usually just manually bid in the last few seconds so I can asses what the current bidding situation is. If I don't like the way people are inflating the price, I'll back out.

In my 18 years of ebay buying and selling...I have also never used an automatic bid program...but hey, it's time for me to change!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
dictoresno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainUgly View Post
In my 18 years of ebay buying and selling...I have also never used an automatic bid program...but hey, it's time for me to change!
I usually win most of the auctions I bid on manually sniping. Never felt the need to have a website for me.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
marvelfan2019

I still usually manually snipe as well.

However, living in EST time zone has some disadvantages. If a card ends later during the day and I know I will be in bed or sleeping, I use gixen.

Gixen is really easy to use and I've never had an issue with it. Just put what you're comfortable bidding for the auction and check and see if you won the next day.
marvelfan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
TheFreeShipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfan2019 View Post
I still usually manually snipe as well.

However, living in EST time zone has some disadvantages...

Hate those west coast ending auctions!
TheFreeShipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
speedyjg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreeShipper View Post
Hate those west coast ending auctions!
Lol I love them since the kids keep me up all night anyway lol, might as well ebay it while up at night looking for weird ending auctions for a PC card
speedyjg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #13
tonedef2oo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Why are you bidding with enough time so someone can do this to you? Just snipe in the last few seconds.
Because these guys will just place their bids before the auction ends and when the snipe comes in he still gets shilled. Rendering said snipe useless. its A huge misconception that sniping somehow stops shill bidding. If you bid a week before or a miliaecond left you’re still geting shilled if the seller placed a bid already.

Last edited by tonedef2oo8; 01-06-2018 at 08:01 PM.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #14
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Because these guys will just place their bids before the auction ends and when the snipe comes in hebstull gets shilled. Rendering said snipe useless.
#ThanksTopps
#LighthouseBONER
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #15
NickM

Quote:
Because these guys will just place their bids before the auction ends and when the snipe comes in he still gets shilled. Rendering said snipe useless. its A huge misconception that sniping somehow stops shill bidding. If you bid a week before or a miliaecond left youíre still geting shilled if the seller placed a bid already.
If you bid right before the end, you don't leave any time for the shill to retract and rebid under your max.
"And when do we want it?"
"It's irrelevant."
NickM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
letsgocapitals

I started using a snipe program a few years ago. Love it. Personally, I use gavelsnipe. Super simple. Reasons why:

1 - Don't need to be present. I love the thrill of a manual snipe. But I'm not always at my laptop. Along those lines;
2 - East coaster (as someone mentioned above). People also set end times at odd times;
3 - I've missed manual bids while on my laptop - kids, game is on, multiple browsers open;
4 - Can place steal snipes... auction cards you steal, get in, and resell via a BIN. I've done this a time or two. But it's not one of the main reasons I used snipe programs.

I haven't really thought about shill bidding. You set a snipe for what you're comfortable spending. If you win, you win. If you don't, you don't.
letsgocapitals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #17
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
I donít get this at all. Put in your snipe at what youíre willing to pay and forget about it. Who cares what people are doing if you have what youíre willing to pay in their already.

If you see something you consider shady you can always cancel the snipe before it hits. But this way you donít miss out bc of some random issue that stops you from bidding
Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #18
tonedef2oo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
If you bid right before the end, you don't leave any time for the shill to retract and rebid under your max.
No but he drives up your bid and sends you a second chance offer. That is if they bid more than you. If they do not you just got shilled and have to pay, if you don’t you get a strike.

You may have got a steal at .99 but not now. Now your paying what ever the seller shilled it to. Rendering your snipe useless most of the time. How is that stopping anything besides the seller retracting?

Sniping if anything helps the shill bidders as you don’t know until it’s too late and now you have to pay.

Last edited by tonedef2oo8; 01-06-2018 at 09:15 PM.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
crose

I haven’t tried in a couple years, but I tried to use a sniping service and it wouldn’t work with my eBay account
crose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #20
CPROG

Just seen some of the worst shilling ever in some Mike Trout auctions I was watching.

Seller: sherman99sue

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/22...m=222778385946

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/22...m=222777251535

eBay should be embarrassed.
CPROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #21
tkraft24

I always call out sellers on blatant cases of shill bidding. It's funny to read the outlandish accounts of denial. Last year I watched a Grady Sizemore TTT AS patch sell for way too much ($45-ish). Sure enough, it was re-listed and a zero feedback was bidding again. I called out the seller and told him I reported his listings to eBay. That deterred him from using the account to place bids and I won the item for under $15, haha.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #22
NickM

Quote:
No but he drives up your bid and sends you a second chance offer. That is if they bid more than you. If they do not you just got shilled and have to pay, if you donít you get a strike.

You may have got a steal at .99 but not now. Now your paying what ever the seller shilled it to. Rendering your snipe useless most of the time. How is that stopping anything besides the seller retracting?

Sniping if anything helps the shill bidders as you donít know until itís too late and now you have to pay.
You don't have to accept second chance offers.
That's a big difference for the shiller.
"And when do we want it?"
"It's irrelevant."
NickM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:58 AM   #23
rwperu34

I always use gixen. It is a very good defense against shilling. I don't mind as much when a seller puts in a "minimum bid", although I don't see why they wouldn't just list it for that price in the first place. It's when they are fishing for my max bid that really bothers me. Sniping eliminates this nearly 100%.

I will probably never accept a 2nd chance offer unless the item is very common and it is very reasonable for a seller to have multiples.

Ebay could put a real dent in shilling and cancels for low prices by making the seller pay the 10% for items they cancel after an auction has ended.

Last edited by rwperu34; 01-09-2018 at 06:26 PM.
rwperu34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #24
smapdi

When I get shilled and a second chance offer, I counteroffer with what the price would have been if the shiller hadn't bid, one increment above the third-place bidder. Haven't gotten an agreement yet, but could happen.
smapdi is online now   Reply With Quote