Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
sickmantz

Default I don't normally bash grades, but wow did BGS blow it with this one

I've never had this issue with BGS before. How does this get a 9.5 for centering? It's WAY OC left to right and top to bottom. I just bought it without realizing the issue. Will BGS do anything to make it right if the seller won't take it back?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
hearseguy

BGS seems to be extremely generous with Prizm centering grades on all years for some reason. I doubt Beckett will do anything.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Big35Hurt

Handing out 9.5's like candy again I see. Like hearseguy said, I doubt Beckett will do anything and I'm not sure the seller will be required to do anything either (assuming it's Ebay).
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
ih8ca

I dont think Beckett has ever bought back a card.
ih8ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
JLR0747

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickmantz View Post
I've never had this issue with BGS before. How does this get a 9.5 for centering? It's WAY OC left to right and top to bottom. I just bought it without realizing the issue. Will BGS do anything to make it right if the seller won't take it back?
It is ridiculous that you would ask the seller to take it back. It's graded and a picture was provided.
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearseguy View Post
BGS seems to be extremely generous with Prizm centering grades on all years for some reason. I doubt Beckett will do anything.
Ironically I’ve cracked a lot of BGS prizm cards with 7.5 or 8 centering and got PSA 10’s. :/

This one looks not so good though.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
sickmantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0747 View Post
It is ridiculous that you would ask the seller to take it back. It's graded and a picture was provided.
Ridiculous? So it's just a game of hot potato?

Luckily, the seller was very understanding, so it's resolved on my end.

I checked with BGS and they said in these situations that they would review the card and if they agreed with the error, they would want the slab off the market. I'll let the seller know in case he cares.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
mhcook

Quote:

I checked with BGS and they said in these situations that they would review the card and if they agreed with the error, they would want the slab off the market. I'll let the seller know in case he cares.
I'm impressed that BGS gave that answer. I'd be curious to see if they actually would put up money to get it off the market.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
socal805
Banned

Anyone have a picture of the same card w/the same centering grade? That will give us a better understanding of OP's card.
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
bensie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
Anyone have a picture of the same card w/the same centering grade? That will give us a better understanding of OP's card.
bensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
socal805
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
Thanks, but I was referring to another BGS w/a centering grade of 9.5.
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
4sportcardguy

I’m thinking it was an input mistake maybe the centering was suppose to be a 9 and the others 9.5. I’ve seen the same on some psa cards where the centering is just as bad but it gets a psa 10. These occurrences are few and far between for the hundreds of thousands of cards that get graded if a few hundred slip by that’s the risk taken with grading as its all done by humans but I’m gonna go on a limb and say 95-98 percent of the time both bgs and psa gets it right I’ll take those odds
4sportcardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
joan1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sportcardguy View Post
I’m thinking it was an input mistake maybe the centering was suppose to be a 9 and the others 9.5. I’ve seen the same on some psa cards where the centering is just as bad but it gets a psa 10. These occurrences are few and far between for the hundreds of thousands of cards that get graded if a few hundred slip by that’s the risk taken with grading as its all done by humans but I’m gonna go on a limb and say 95-98 percent of the time both bgs and psa gets it right I’ll take those odds
It is Pay 2 Play over there at Beckett. Larger accounts will consistently return better grades, and is where you see cards like these slip through the cracks. You see countless ones like these out there, and it just makes you wonder..... In my opinion such a shady practice that they run there.

Have heard countless stories of small collectors with an awesome card not getting the grade they wanted first time submitting, they would crack it out of the holder, send it over to Beckett again with a person with a very large account/history with beckett and boom.. Simple as that, grade goes from a 9 to a 9.5 or 10.
joan1173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan1173 View Post
It is Pay 2 Play over there at Beckett. Larger accounts will consistently return better grades, and is where you see cards like these slip through the cracks. You see countless ones like these out there, and it just makes you wonder..... In my opinion such a shady practice that they run there.

Have heard countless stories of small collectors with an awesome card not getting the grade they wanted first time submitting, they would crack it out of the holder, send it over to Beckett again with a person with a very large account/history with beckett and boom.. Simple as that, grade goes from a 9 to a 9.5 or 10.
Lmao.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #15
rainmaker

Quote:

you really believe this?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #16
KhalDrogo

Quote:

There's no grand conspiracy at PSA or BGS. I submitted a 14 card order last month to BGS. First submission ever. All MG 9.0. All came back 9.5 or 10.

The reality is that these graders spend very little time looking at each card. They're going to miss things.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
mfisher27

Hey Joe! I didn't know you had an account on blowout

Quote:

Old 03-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #18
mhcook

Quote:

I have seen a big quantity grader do the opposite. He cracked and gave a few cards he thought were undergraded to someone who doesn't grade to submit.

I think the sad reality is that it is an opinion and that varies person to person and even more when you are doing hundreds in a day. I can't even submit a 50 card order without missing a major flaw that BGS has caught.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #19
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
There's no grand conspiracy at PSA or BGS. I submitted a 14 card order last month to BGS. First submission ever. All MG 9.0. All came back 9.5 or 10.

The reality is that these graders spend very little time looking at each card. They're going to miss things.
Probably only going to get worse as both companies are trying to catch up. I can't image the graders doing their best on the non-guaranteed orders. Management probably just wants them out the door.
Scottish Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
JLR0747

Quote:

You saw what you were buying, received it in the same condition and then have an issue.... yep, ridiculous AND a horrible buyer trait
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #21
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post

It's a good thing that people are spending all kinds of money to have a "professional" barely look at the card. What's even more laughable is that people put so much stock in the grades handed out by BGS and PSA.
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote