April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
davepeters239
Banned

Default 2012 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs #BCP102 Oscar Taveras Error Card

I know a bit about these cards but am interested to know what others know or think about these cards.

There hasn't been any mention of these cards from either Topps or Beckett that I know of yet.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras1a.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	126573   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras2a.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	126574   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras3a.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	126575   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras4a.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	126576   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras5a.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	126577  

Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras6a.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	126578   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras7a.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	126579   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras8a.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	126580   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras9a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	126581   Click image for larger version

Name:	taveras10a.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	126582  

davepeters239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
davepeters239
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GoCards View Post
Send them to me and I'll have Oscar sign them with a good sharpie so they'll all be 10 BGS autos. I'll also do color variations and they will all be Topps certified.
I am trying to get them autographed in red and certified with BGS in some special way.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
thenwhatjk

pretty sure mike c has some of these
thenwhatjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
MVPete

Seriously man can we get a mod to make it stop? So tired of this guy's shady crap being discusses for weeks on end. Get a real job and buy the correct versions of the cards instead of going to the dollar store(error card hunting) and trying to turn a profit.
MVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
uberfatty

I think what you are trying to do is really pathetic and sad.
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
davepeters239
Banned

So it seems so far no one is concerned Topps made such a huge error, again.

Perhaps this is why Topps gets away with what they do. No one seems to care and all they want to do is find fault with everyone else.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Andrew Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepeters239 View Post

Perhaps this is why Topps gets away with what they do. No one seems to care and all they want to do is find fault with everyone else.
What mistake did Topps make? Any idiot can wipe the auto off of those cards. It is so simple, even Wilson Valdez could do it. Unless you pulled those from packs yourself, you have no way of knowing for sure if Topps made a mistake or someone simply wiped the autos and sold them as "error" cards.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Davesportscards

Quote:

Why should we be concerned? We can rely on you to buy all their/our error cards for your own shady needs.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Ajax1723

Quote:

This is in no way the same situation as your fake 1/1.

These cards were made this year. I know of numerous people that pulled cards missing autos of him and other players this year, sent them back to Topps, and got an autographed version back to replace it. It seems at this point you are just trying your hardest to make Topps look bad. If these were 2010 cards, then it would be too late, but they aren't, they are 2012, and are eligible to be replaced until 2013 Bowman comes out in May.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
davepeters239
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
What mistake did Topps make? Any idiot can wipe the auto off of those cards. It is so simple, even Wilson Valdez could do it. Unless you pulled those from packs yourself, you have no way of knowing for sure if Topps made a mistake or someone simply wiped the autos and sold them as "error" cards.
I am unsure you would be able to wipe an autograph off a card without leaving some damage to the card.

These are 100% authentic legit error cards.

Had Topps been honest about this there would have been a press release months ago about the widespread error and their commitment to fix it.

Had Beckett been doing their job they would have reported about these and they would be listed in the price guide.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Andrew Jones

Quote:
I am unsure you would be able to wipe an autograph off a card without leaving some damage to the card.

Had Topps been honest about this there would have been a press release months ago about the widespread error and their commitment to fix it.

Had Beckett been doing their job they would have reported about these and they would be listed in the price guide.
I'm 100% sure you can wipe the auto without damaging the card. I'm also 100% sure you do not know what you're talking about.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
davepeters239
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
I'm 100% sure you can wipe the auto without damaging the card. I'm also 100% sure you do not know what you're talking about.
Can you please provide more details about this. I find it hard to believe that you can wipe an autograph from a card without leaving any trace or damages to the card.

If this is indeed possible Topps just has one more huge problem on their hands.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Davesportscards

Quote:
Can you please provide more details about this. I find it hard to believe that you can wipe an autograph from a card without leaving any trace or damages to the card.

Yeah they should make cards out of stone and then have players use a hammer and chisel to sign their name.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
xbignick

The sale thread from last night:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...r-taveras.html

So, how did you acquire them?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
Andrew Jones

Quote:

With all "chrome" cards, rubbing alcohol and a bit of elbow grease can be used to remove the ink from the card. It isn't just a Topps "problem." The card companies are as responsible for people wiping autos as people trimming cards, swapping patches, or adding unauthorized autos to cards they produced. It is pretty simple - the lion's share of the blame for such actions falls upon the unscrupulous people in this hobby, not the card companies.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
davepeters239
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
The sale thread from last night:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...r-taveras.html

So, how did you acquire them?

Well as some of you know I collect errors. I bought one of these quite awhile back to add to the errors I do have. Then another one popped up so I bought it too. Then another and another and another. So I started to gather information about them. What regions they were coming from and what packs they were being pulled from.

I contacted Topps about them but have not gotten a reply. I have also contacted the Cardinals team but again have not gotten a reply.

Originally I reached out to Topps once I found out this was such a widespread issue and offered what I thought was a fantastic solution. I thought Topps could put the message out to collectors who had these that there was a mistake and that they were working on finding out what happened to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I thought an excellent way to handle it would be to offer anyone who had one to send them in and they would get them signed by Mr. Taveras with a special color ink, like say red ink, and send them back to the collectors. They could have even taken it a step further and had each card authenticated and slabbed by BGS with special Topps label or something.

This would have required a bit of work on Topps part but seeing he is a very popular player and it was such a widspread problem I though it would show they cared and were trying to make things better.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
91Braves

Quote:

An organic solvent such as methanol would easily wipe an auto off a chrome card without making any damage. I probably shouldn't even have told you that, but I feel it is the proper time since you are trying to make the case that these can't be faked. Why someone would want to do this I have no clue. Clearly, those cards would be worth just as much if not more with the auto. Personally, I think it would be disgraceful to engage in such shady behavior/tactics.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
davepeters239
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
An organic solvent such as methanol would easily wipe an auto off a chrome card without making any damage. I probably shouldn't even have told you that, but I feel it is the proper time since you are trying to make the case that these can't be faked. Why someone would want to do this I have no clue. Clearly, those cards would be worth just as much if not more with the auto. Personally, I think it would be disgraceful to engage in such shady behavior/tactics.

Well this will be my next questions to Topps.

Like I said if this is true it is a huge problem for them.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
91Braves

I don't think it is a big problem. People just shouldn't buy these cards because there is a strong likelihood that they are fake.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
Craiggysanford

Quote:

with auto....

with 5 seconds of rubbing with nail polish remover..... no damage......

I would say, leave the subject alone. before someone actually buys and gets you for fraud.
Craiggysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
stinkus

^^^^ This.

My favorite type of Mad Lib.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiggysanford View Post

I would say, leave the subject alone. before someone actually buys and gets you for fraud.
Looks like my Mulvey collection just got that much more valuable ...!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
91Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiggysanford View Post
with auto....

with 5 seconds of rubbing with nail polish remover..... no damage......

Would you be willing to let go of that error card? I know they are very rare, and I'm extremely interested in it for my PC.

Last edited by 91Braves; 02-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.
91Braves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
thewild3

Here's what really happened on how OP got 10 of these. He probably bought a few of these (auto version) awhile back when they were going for around $50-60. The first few legit missing auto version where going for more than the auto'd version back then, so he figured he make a killing by rubbing the autos off. As more and more of these appeared he lost out on the hype. Now he's trying to make a big fuss about it with Topps so that they could replace them with auto versions. Topps probably told him to go pound sand, because he has no proof that he pulled them from packs (receipt/wrappers/upc). Now he's stuck with a bunch of cards that could of sold for more hadnt he rubbed off the autos.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
davepeters239
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewild3 View Post
Here's what really happened on how OP got 10 of these. He probably bought a few of these (auto version) awhile back when they were going for around $50-60. The first few legit missing auto version where going for more than the auto'd version back then, so he figured he make a killing by rubbing the autos off. As more and more of these appeared he lost out on the hype. Now he's trying to make a big fuss about it with Topps so that they could replace them with auto versions. Topps probably told him to go pound sand, because he has no proof that he pulled them from packs (receipt/wrappers/upc). Now he's stuck with a bunch of cards that could of sold for more hadnt he rubbed off the autos.

This is false.