Blowout Cards Forums
star wars

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
buckunteer

Default Minor ebay rant: Sellers auto-rejecting offers

I just had this happen to me on a card and I'm kind of miffed. I'll spare the details, but the last two sales of this particular card are for $160 and $202. I offered $175 and it was auto-rejected. Really? I'm offering almost dead-center of where the last two have sold and it's not a good enough offer for you to even counter?? Just laziness if you ask me.

Either don't include the OBO or take/counter legitimate offers. Those are two perfectly reasonable options. The BIN on this card is currently $280 so if there weren't an offer option I would just put it in the watch list and watch it not be bought listing after listing until the seller dropped the price or listed as an auction. It just seems like odd and unnecessary selling tactics I guess. Whatever. I'll probably buy 90s wax instead lol
Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
ThoseBackPages

i hear ya. i run into this often with PSA 9s. i have a good grasp on what PSA 9s go for. eBay sellers, do not. lol
BO gonna BO!!!
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
SHowley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckunteer View Post
I just had this happen to me on a card and I'm kind of miffed. I'll spare the details, but the last two sales of this particular card are for $160 and $202. I offered $175 and it was auto-rejected. Really? I'm offering almost dead-center of where the last two have sold and it's not a good enough offer for you to even counter?? Just laziness if you ask me.

Either don't include the OBO or take/counter legitimate offers. Those are two perfectly reasonable options. The BIN on this card is currently $280 so if there weren't an offer option I would just put it in the watch list and watch it not be bought listing after listing until the seller dropped the price or listed as an auction. It just seems like odd and unnecessary selling tactics I guess. Whatever. I'll probably buy 90s wax instead lol
Amen! I have the same frustration and actually have started messaging sellers with my frustration. Donít put up BOs if you arenít going to legitimately consider offers. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know, most sellers set it at a percentage so they donít have to deal with deadbeats offering 10% value type offers. Fine. Then do your homework and get a sense of the true SV, mark it high and then set an appropriate autoreject. Basic customer service if you actually want to make a sale.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
Amen! I have the same frustration and actually have started messaging sellers with my frustration. Donít put up BOs if you arenít going to legitimately consider offers. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know, most sellers set it at a percentage so they donít have to deal with deadbeats offering 10% value type offers. Fine. Then do your homework and get a sense of the true SV, mark it high and then set an appropriate autoreject. Basic customer service if you actually want to make a sale.
HERE HERE!!
BO gonna BO!!!
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
drobfan8

When I've sold using BINs it's amazing how often a $200 card will see $50 or $70 offers.

So then I add the auto reject option.

Seller obviously wants $200 +

I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
buckunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
Exactly. The lowest the card had sold for in the past 3 months is $160, so if I offer like $75, totally reject that, I get it. But I actually offered well over 50% of his BIN AND $15 over the most recent sale. If that's not reasonable I have no idea what is.

Seller has like 3k items up. Too much volume to pay attention to the details. So frustrating.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
buckunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobfan8 View Post
When I've sold using BINs it's amazing how often a $200 card will see $50 or $70 offers.

So then I add the auto reject option.

Seller obviously wants $200 +

I wouldn't sweat it.
OK this is funny, considering the source, because it's a David Robinson card in question
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
gameissued

As a buyer I hate that too. But as a seller there have been times I set a super fair BIN price well below market value, and with a "high" auto-reject, and I will get multiple questions about my best lowest price.
gameissued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
chuckerrrr

I get it for your example of offering around previous sold but there are guys who offer 1/4 of what the listing is. I set instant deny. No thanks
chuckerrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
mc1

Yeah, bet he wants at least $200. Ya should have bought the one that sold for $160!
mc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
drobfan8

Quote:
OK this is funny, considering the source, because it's a David Robinson card in question
Oooohhh let's hear it?

What ya going at?

Drob cards are about to go through the roof
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
regularp

It's annoying. I started setting auto-reject on some recent listings, because I was starting to get hit with too many ridiculous low-ball offers. I put it within reason though.

When sellers have auto-reject higher than even recent sales, they aren't serious about selling. It's that simple.

Unfortunately, that applies to many eBay listings.
regularp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
tmar214

I get how it's annoying but I'd rather a seller auto reject offers they won't accept rather than some back and forth that never comes close to turning in to a deal.

In general I think we would all like to get the deal we want at the time we want but let's say a card that is a 200$ card that doesn't come up often.

I'd expect to sometimes get it for a steal at auction. Sometimes find a seller who is motivated to sell quickly where you can get a "fair" market deal via obo. Then unfortunately other times find sellers who aren't in a hurry to sell and will wait to get an over market value deal.
tmar214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #14
rittdk01

I hate having to deal with ridiculous Bo's. I'll sell something that routinely sells for $300 and have to reject a few $50 offers. Really?

Can't comment on the card without knowing specifics. That is more than $100 off the original offer. Last sell prices don't tell the whole story on cards. Condition alone changes everything.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #15
Kardbordkrakhed

I once had a $90 offer auto rejected on a $100/BO card. Couldn’t believe it. Actually contacted the guy and asked him what was up, he told me he’d look at the offer later but never got back to me.

As for selling, I rarely ever set up an auto decline option. IMO any offer is an opportunity. Many people (myself included) will often throw a low offer out there just to see if it sticks.
Kardbordkrakhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #16
Noah

Not Basketball but i have a lot of 5 cards listed for 59.99 with free shipping and received a 4.00 offer today that i had to decline

I look at the buyers items for sale to think about offering him 10% of the highest item he had listed and he has the exact same cards listed for 24.99, 12.99, 19.99, 13.99, and 10.99 with 3.49 shipping on each

While i am looking at his items he messages me asking "Whats your low"

Had 2 other buyers offer 75 and 40 on a Brandon Ingram Flawless /25 auto that sold within minutes for my buy it now at 129.99

I went into most of my listings and set up auto decline at 50% of whatever i am asking

But the "whats your low" message comes at least 2-3 times a week
Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 AM   #17
Rictor

I hate when I price my auctions at the lowest price I'm willing to accept but don't notice Ebay automatically checked the BO box, and I forgot to uncheck. Then the lowball offers start coming in, and i can't uncheck the BO box.
Rictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Oldschool42

Auto reject offers suck but the seller not knowing the market is even more annoying. A few auto offers have cost the seller a few sales because sellers that respond get my sale.
I feel for big sellers and understand why they do it but the weekend warrior seller needs to quit being lazy. Follow up with communication or good luck!
Another annoyance: offer a fair price but then the seller responds with this comment: X, Y, and Z sold for this much...hey stupid you have A, B, or C card for sale. Compare Apples to Apples not Apples to Watermelon you moron!
Oldschool42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
buckunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobfan8 View Post
Oooohhh let's hear it?

What ya going at?

Drob cards are about to go through the roof
Haha itís the 99-00 Skybox autographics. Want one for my Dream Team auto PC.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #20
MJGOAT23

my 2.5 cents... I always know the market of what I'm selling(how can you not have a basic knowledge of what you're selling?) so I find it rather annoying when a buyer tries to educate me on past sales. Like, gee thanks, i know how to search for a card and check the "sold" option too there superstar...and then they always offer lower or whatever the lowest one went for. Hey guess what, it also went for much higher...why aren't you offering the highest and why shouldn't I try to achieve the high end of the sale spectrum?

I either try to price very fairly without a BO option or with an auto-reject for lowballs. I set the threshold near the lowest I'd take to figure out who is seriously interested and then either counter or just accept if their offer was decent enough. I try not to quibble over 10 or 20$ on a $200+ card just for the sake of getting a happy customer and so I can focus on moving on to the next card. if that means i lose $20 on a card, oh well, i move on... but the low ballers and penny pinchers, especially on popular cards that don't have problems being moved are beyond annoying and why auto reject is a lovely option to weed those bums out.
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
xDomePatrolx

Were the last 2 sales recent? He might have set his auto-decline a month ago and not updated. How about shooting a message with you current offer? I don't suggest asking "what's your best price" though , actually send an offer.
xDomePatrolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #22
rats60

I would just be patient. I bought that card for 105.00 2 years ago. I see one sold for 202 at auction and another was 200 BO. The seller is probably looking for at least 200. Just be patient, another will come up for auction and you can snipe at the highest you are willing to pay. The card isn't that rare.

It is the seller's card and he is free to ask whatever he wants. Not every seller considers BO a back and forth negotiation. I find asking 40% over the last auction and fielding offers a lot more reasonable than the offers that I get at 5% or 10% of what a card is worth.

Last edited by rats60; 01-14-2018 at 01:29 PM.
rats60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #23
Oldschool42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGOAT23 View Post
my 2.5 cents... I always know the market of what I'm selling(how can you not have a basic knowledge of what you're selling?) so I find it rather annoying when a buyer tries to educate me on past sales. Like, gee thanks, i know how to search for a card and check the "sold" option too there superstar...and then they always offer lower or whatever the lowest one went for. Hey guess what, it also went for much higher...why aren't you offering the highest and why shouldn't I try to achieve the high end of the sale spectrum?

I either try to price very fairly without a BO option or with an auto-reject for lowballs. I set the threshold near the lowest I'd take to figure out who is seriously interested and then either counter or just accept if their offer was decent enough. I try not to quibble over 10 or 20$ on a $200+ card just for the sake of getting a happy customer and so I can focus on moving on to the next card. if that means i lose $20 on a card, oh well, i move on... but the low ballers and penny pinchers, especially on popular cards that don't have problems being moved are beyond annoying and why auto reject is a lovely option to weed those bums out.
You are right...the seller should have a clue what fair market value is. Too many times the seller is shooting for the moon then realizes weeks later that they misread the market and we end up making a deal. Donít ask for $40 when similar cards sell from $3-$15. Do your homework, it takes all of 30 seconds.
BTW, when I offer a price I NEVER lowball the seller. Iím not the guy that offers $5 when the card is listed for $100, thatís a dick move. I want the seller to make some dough and I get the card I want. Iíll even bump up my offer 10% to offset the fees. In my experience most sellers will dump the card between 40-50% of their asking price.
Remember they donít want the card or else theyíd keep it.
Oldschool42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #24
dengbang

Quote:
Seller has like 3k items up. Too much volume to pay attention to the details. So frustrating.
This is probably why. The seller is more than likely a dealer/has a business. These sellers don't spend too much time negotiating, they set a price and stand by it until it doesn't sell (possibly years later) and then put it up for auction or lower their buy it now to reflect the actual market price.

It's their card though so honestly they can do whatever they want, imo. If buyers don't like the price then move along, no point in venting over that fact. I waited for a card to resurface after it sold 7 years ago, it popped back up but unfortunately under one of those big hobby dealer accounts. Guy wanted a completely unrealistic number, so I figured i'll just wait it out. It could be frustrating, but it's not the end of the world.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #25
dengbang

And as a seller, I do notice that on highly watched cards, I may get fair prices from a bunch of potential buyers but if I wait out long enough, someone will hit the buy it now or offer very close to my asking price.