Blowout Cards Forums
Power Coupon DANNY

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #551
Rootleaf

I thought I read a thread on Blowout about it, but cannot find it now.
Rootleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #552
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
He states "found a hobby box at target". Not retail.

Wait a second, wtf?

Are they sure they were hobby packs and not just confused because the store had a 24 pack box?

I've only seen hobby in those $20 10pack assorted boxes of sports cards or panini releases, never TOPPS. Is it just my local targets or what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #553
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok1891 View Post
Hmm that's possible, i could see the person insisting and lucking out with a manager that caved or something.

The box was kind of torn, like some crazed gremlin opened it.

But how does one figure out where the sketch/auto card is among 23 packs? Or could it be that they bought several boxes, cherry picked and consolidated?

I will say the cards are very nice looking and I do want to order more. Sigh, think I will never buy packs at retail again.

To another poster that suggested blaster boxes, yeah i knew you get a medallion or patch but that stuff is worthless to me. I want autos.

Gotta admit that I am curious about the rogue 1 part 2 cards (that looked like a hobby box) missing only few packs. Who knows, maybe an employee is on it?

So, should my first red flag have been that it was a hobby box in Target? They don't have those ever?

I admit that missing 2 packs of 24 seemed really fishy. Are these usually only $2 a pack? If they had been $4 I wouldn't have bit.

There's so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start lol.

1. If you see retail packs missing one or two, don't buy! Hits are likely taken already
2. Hobby in retail stores is another red flag

As far as I saw from group breakers and them commenting, the hits for this product were always the left row in the box, so even hobby shops I'd be cautious in case they shuffled around packs after some were bought, in this case where hits seem packed in the same spots.

Has that been common for Star Wars packs as of late?

Old 07-31-2017, 11:42 PM   #554
HiltonL

Quote:
Hmm that's possible, i could see the person insisting and lucking out with a manager that caved or something.

The box was kind of torn, like some crazed gremlin opened it.

But how does one figure out where the sketch/auto card is among 23 packs? Or could it be that they bought several boxes, cherry picked and consolidated?

I will say the cards are very nice looking and I do want to order more. Sigh, think I will never buy packs at retail again.

To another poster that suggested blaster boxes, yeah i knew you get a medallion or patch but that stuff is worthless to me. I want autos.

Gotta admit that I am curious about the rogue 1 part 2 cards (that looked like a hobby box) missing only few packs. Who knows, maybe an employee is on it?

So, should my first red flag have been that it was a hobby box in Target? They don't have those ever?

I admit that missing 2 packs of 24 seemed really fishy. Are these usually only $2 a pack? If they had been $4 I wouldn't have bit.
Always be suspicious of packs available at mass-market stores versus hobby shops. Yes, the first red flag was that you saw "hobby" cards in a Target. This should never happen. Well, aside from what Cujo said. I'm non-sports-focused.

As far as the theory about convincing a manager to take a return, don't the retail and hobby packs have different UPC codes? That would mean that to make the register scanners work, the manager would not only have to approve the return, but also scan the new UPC and input the data so that the register would scan them. Seems unlikely.

The other reason I don't buy at retail is the pack searchers are much more sophisticated than merely picking out the thick packs. They even sometimes bring scales into the store and weigh each pack. It sickens me that store personnel often don't care or don't have the authority to stop the more egregious searchers.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:47 PM   #555
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
Always be suspicious of packs available at mass-market stores versus hobby shops. Yes, the first red flag was that you saw "hobby" cards in a Target. This should never happen. Well, aside from what Cujo said. I'm non-sports-focused.

As far as the theory about convincing a manager to take a return, don't the retail and hobby packs have different UPC codes? That would mean that to make the register scanners work, the manager would not only have to approve the return, but also scan the new UPC and input the data so that the register would scan them. Seems unlikely.

The other reason I don't buy at retail is the pack searchers are much more sophisticated than merely picking out the thick packs. They even sometimes bring scales into the store and weigh each pack. It sickens me that store personnel often don't care or don't have the authority to stop the more egregious searchers.
How can they tell someone not to weigh something though? Lol

I could barely keep kids from riding bikes and punting balls thru toys r us when I worked there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 11:51 PM   #556
HiltonL

Trying and failing to convince a searcher to leave is a lot different than turning a blind eye to the practice.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #557
havok1891

People bring scales? Now that I'd like to see. I def. don't think that could be stopped. It being a combo of employees caring and . . . what does it really violate legally speaking (though I'd never ever do that)? Is the pack with an auto clearly different in weight?

For the record, i knew what i was doing. I figured it was some sort of bait situation. The lack of the heavy card and only one other pack missing alerted me. But . . . a big part of me considered three things:

1) Maybe it was someone that bought the heavy card and bought one extra as a sort of "to be fair" move.

2) A box online is like $100, here I was paying under $50 for a box of which i had 0 cards from the collection. Still, my best cards turned out to be green parallels of Snoake and "A New Hope" Han. I also tell myself the auto was probably a "guy in an alien suit" and not say Harrison Ford and I feel better.

3) If it turned out someone had picked it clean, well I wanted to know for sure. Well played whoever did it, just wish I knew more about how they did it. Did they have left overs from like 3 boxes even if they returned it why not return 24 packs? Maybe they did and someone bought two? Only two?

Oh well, had to try it. Will never ever do it again in retail again and that's probably why this hobby is all but gone at retail.

What irks me is that maybe Target will restock (assuming they can) and this same guy will pilfer the goods in the next box.

As for the SKU situation, I've worked in retail and sometimes the product can be added in like if a different store out there carries the product. I have seen it go two ways. One manager isn't hearing it and refuses to play ball and another manager may take the item and have someone added the sku into their local system or at least that is how i'd interpret it.

Last edited by havok1891; 08-01-2017 at 02:09 AM.
havok1891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 AM   #558
havok1891

Ok Ok, did some looking on ebay and have to apologize. I was wrong, the thing wasn't a hobby box it was a retail box. Until today I only knew of the existence of blaster boxes, hobby boxes, and hot packs. I buy a lot of Doctor Who cards and just figured Star Wars was similar, 24 packs and 2 hits . . . but yeah Star Wars is so marketable i guess the rules aren't the same.

So Star Wars hobby boxes have a wider look to them? Doctor Who hobby boxes pretty much look like Star Wars Galactic Files Reborn retail boxes size wise.

Sigh, it sometimes feels like you need to be a darn lawyer to buy trading cards.

Last edited by havok1891; 08-01-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #559
havok1891

Tried my hand at a HOBBY box of Galactic Files Reborn. I am pretty pleased, surprised with all the golds. The auto isn't a big name but I like getting any jedi auto. and I was more concerned about getting someone in a masked costume.

How would you say this compares to an average box for hits?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cards.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	384778  
Old 08-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #560
Vargaman

Quote:
Tried my hand at a HOBBY box of Galactic Files Reborn. I am pretty pleased, surprised with all the golds. The auto isn't a big name but I like getting any jedi auto. and I was more concerned about getting someone in a masked costume.

How would you say this compares to an average box for hits?

I can't tell what the medallion and insert are numbered out of, but a /25 auto and good medallion is a lot better than a base auto and medallion. Looks good and you got a character you like so I'd say it's a win

Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #561
havok1891

The medallionis 10/25 and the auto is something out of 25. The card with Luke & Yoda is 7/10.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #562
Vargaman

Quote:
The medallionis 10/25 and the auto is something out of 25. The card with Luke & Yoda is 7/10.
Then yeah you did really well!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #563
maxpower

I finally got around to counting my cards in a spreadsheet and thought I'd share my collation observations for anyone interested in this minutia.

Bought 3 boxes of GFR, all from same ebay seller, I am assuming all came from same case.

2 of the boxes had huge overlap, and I would have been about 30-40 cards short of a 200 base set with only those boxes. However the 3rd box had nearly perfect complement to the other 2, with only 1 base missing between either box1and3 or box2and3. I also noticed most of the cards that I needed to complete the set from box 3 came clustered in the same individual packs. So it was like they made certain packs with all cards rarer than others.
The orange and blue parallels I got also seemed to cluster together in card number order, with stretches of cards missing.

For the inserts, out of 3 boxes, I got:
4/9 galactic moments
8/10 locations (inc 1 purple/99)
8/10 weapons
12/15 quotes
12/20 vehicles
(...and many dupes)

The hits were:
3 base autos /~200 (saesee tin, watto, tarkin)
boba fett sketch by tim smith
black plate
ig88 base medallion

#'d bases:
5 purple
7 green

I am glad I got 1 complete base out of 3 boxes and a ton of parallels, and could have done worse, although 3 $5 autos. I also would have expected at least some of the insert sets to be complete. Now I see the logic of people only buying cases.

Last edited by maxpower; 09-01-2017 at 06:58 PM.
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #564
havok1891

Got a box recently and my auto was the voice of the Dutchess Satine (spelling?), sigh.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #565
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
I finally got around to counting my cards in a spreadsheet and thought I'd share my collation observations for anyone interested in this minutia.

Bought 3 boxes of GFR, all from same ebay seller, I am assuming all came from same case.

2 of the boxes had huge overlap, and I would have been about 30-40 cards short of a 200 base set with only those boxes. However the 3rd box had nearly perfect complement to the other 2, with only 1 base missing between either box1and3 or box2and3. I also noticed most of the cards that I needed to complete the set from box 3 came clustered in the same individual packs. So it was like they made certain packs with all cards rarer than others.
The orange and blue parallels I got also seemed to cluster together in card number order, with stretches of cards missing.

For the inserts, out of 3 boxes, I got:
4/9 galactic moments
8/10 locations (inc 1 purple/99)
8/10 weapons
12/15 quotes
12/20 vehicles
(...and many dupes)

The hits were:
3 base autos /~200 (saesee tin, watto, tarkin)
boba fett sketch by tim smith
black plate
ig88 base medallion

#'d bases:
5 purple
7 green

I am glad I got 1 complete base out of 3 boxes and a ton of parallels, and could have done worse, although 3 $5 autos. I also would have expected at least some of the insert sets to be complete. Now I see the logic of people only buying cases.
If you want to complete your inserts, PM me and I'd be happy to trade with you. I'm always looking for sketches, or since you only need a few, some of your numbered base or a common auto.

--Hilton
Old 09-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #566
Vargaman

Still waiting on a 6way to show up...
Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #567
djedi21

Default Galactic Files Reborn Gold Cards

Anyone have any of the gold /10 cards or /25 gold medallion cards for trade or sale? I have over 20 available, so please let me know if interested.

Thanks!!!!
djedi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #568
Butterbean

I just pulled a Bob Hepner sketch! WOW! It's so good and lifelike and soft and creamy.....almost looks like it's a printed picture! Ha! I kid I kid....
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #569
kyle1707

Is there any reason topps cant stop making medallions and patch cards...

I could come up with 20 different other ideas to add value with little cost that would make these products better....

Seems lazy and cheap...

The reason you dont see a lot of breaks or cards on ebay.. Nobody is opening it...

Same crap over and over...
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #570
moistpaper

Topps is the king of redundancy
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #571
deeceman

opened one last case of this stuff tonight.

hit two plates- Darth Vader and Ello Asty

one gold parallel- Han Solo

six medallions, one was K-2SO /99

four nice sketches by Darrin Pepe, J.P. Perez, Matthew Sutton and Sol Mohamed

dual auto of Taber/LaMarr

short print auto of Freddy Prinze Jr. /50

auto to 99 of Rajia Baroudi

gold auto to 25 of Sam Witwer as Darth Maul

and this...........

001 by David Weisberg, on Flickr Carrie Fisher 3/5
deeceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #572
HiltonL

Hot damn, congrats!
GFR just keeps on giving...
Old 10-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #573
havok1891

Got a box recently (3rd ever). Kind of bummed that my auto was Anna Graves (Duchess Satine), mainly because it's the 2nd time I've gotten her (from three boxes that is kind of unfortunate.

BUT, on the bright side I got a gold card (Fifth Brother Inquisitor) and instead of a lame medallion I got a Nute Gunray black printing plate! So, the "fun" card wasn't the auto in this box, sometimes you never know what you are in for (ha most of the time in fact).

Last edited by havok1891; 10-07-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #574
HiltonL

Quote:
Got a box recently (3rd ever). Kind of bummed that my auto was Anna Graves (Duchess Satine), mainly because it's the 2nd time I've gotten her (from three boxes that is kind of unfortunate.

BUT, on the bright side I got a gold card (Fifth Brother Inquisitor) and instead of a lame medallion I got a Nute Gunray black printing plate! So, the "fun" card wasn't the auto in this box, sometimes you never know what you are in for (ha most of the time in fact).
Nice that you got a black plate - those are the best outside of auto'd. Always good to dodge a medallion!