AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #351
brentandbecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauspencer View Post
I'm still pretty new at the case break game, and have studied these forums to find best practices in maximizing my return. I've read over and over that buy it now right out of the gate is best way to maximize return, but I have just not had the success. Even pricing competitively and offering a best offer, these cards sit for a week and I end up listing them via auction.

Essentially my best luck has come from listing at auction. Those dreaded 0.99 auctions that I've read are terrible, but that's been my best option over the past two years.

Am I in the minority with this?

nope, auctions are usually better, BUT it has changed over the past few years, they used to be even better IMO
but now cheaper stuff does better or certain sports/releases do better at FP

it takes years of practice and study and there is NO right way, I promise

I do huge qty and so I list the same cards at auction and at fixed, and collect all that data

some products that are more niche or rare, FP all the way, other things that are more common, sure auction

just safe to say, no release is the same as the next, nor are prices

some new sellers don't realize that a red ink heritage auto /66 will outsell a /10 patch auto of the same guy from say five star, but it happens
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #352
WalterAZ31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
You are wrong on this one. When we found out the SPs were one per pack we knew they had to be priced very cheaply. The ONLY reason those first few sold for 14-16 is because buyers were unaware of the odds. As soon as they found out, within hours, the cancellations and returns started pouring in. And now even $6 is looking like a steal with how many are out there.

So yeah, you can call us clowns and morons but I think your assessment is dead wrong.
No. I am 100% right. And I never called anyone here a moron. I'm talking in general about your average eBay seller that never does research. Never looks at past listings and is just looking to dump whatever to make back cases off their 10 Credit cards. It's not just this release either, even gypsy queen ssps were ridiculously undercut just 24 hours of release. Cards that were falling 1 per case of even mike trout going for peanuts because some clueless decides to list their 1:800 pack hit for $9.99 BIN w free shipping
WalterAZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #353
2ssYankees7cf

Maybe I missed it because I only read back a few pages... But is it just me or are other breakers noticing the condition of the base cards is subpar this year?

Maybe I just got a bad couple of boxes, but I did get jumbo and hobby and noticed the flaws on all the cards. Not just bad corners either, I'm talking scratches and dings on the edges.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #354
auctionjmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAZ31 View Post
No. I am 100% right. And I never called anyone here a moron. I'm talking in general about your average eBay seller that never does research. Never looks at past listings and is just looking to dump whatever to make back cases off their 10 Credit cards. It's not just this release either, even gypsy queen ssps were ridiculously undercut just 24 hours of release. Cards that were falling 1 per case of even mike trout going for peanuts because some clueless decides to list their 1:800 pack hit for $9.99 BIN w free shipping
On most other products I would agree with you. There are definitely some sellers who consistently come out well below market value either out of ignorance or desperation. But Update is an anomaly. And since myself and others on this forum were also listing low on Tuesday, I could only assume that your clowns and morons comment applied to us as well, since all of us were doing it.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #355
brentandbecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAZ31 View Post
I agree with much of what you said in general as I've said similar things, but again, we are talking 1 per pack insert cards this time, that should not usually bring $1/common
Have to be fair to buyers or they won't come back ro they will just return;; these cards aren't really SP in the usual sense

Regarding Gypsy Queen, yes, but historically GQ SSP have NEVER EVER sold well
even in past with just vet breakers and super low production, ssp from GQ never had the demand, that product in general has a low demand, but ssp always has sold for peanuts

the market is what the market is, if there was demand it would have increased, yet they just kept falling, again, GQ breakers know this up front, it sucks but is so true
and why every release is different and can't be compared really

just for comparisons sake, take the heritage 2016 throwbacks that reached $1k for commons like Yordano Ventura (RIP) because there was high demand even though 25 copies of each exist, yet even some Aaron Judge autos /25 don't bring $1k

Last edited by brentandbecca; 10-21-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #356
brentandbecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ssYankees7cf View Post
Maybe I missed it because I only read back a few pages... But is it just me or are other breakers noticing the condition of the base cards is subpar this year?

Maybe I just got a bad couple of boxes, but I did get jumbo and hobby and noticed the flaws on all the cards. Not just bad corners either, I'm talking scratches and dings on the edges.
yep 100%

and that's another thing on the SP cards, at least for mine, many of mine have corner dings and print dots, especially #287 Judge, it's the worst of all for me
Old 10-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #357
pryantexas

Pulled a matte finish Judge (ASG game one) in a box of Jumbo... has an old school topps logo on it

Pardon my ignorance but would appreciate any background on this version and how rare it is
pryantexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #358
scottagibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryantexas View Post
Pulled a matte finish Judge (ASG game one) in a box of Jumbo... has an old school topps logo on it

Pardon my ignorance but would appreciate any background on this version and how rare it is
Vintage Stock... been around for a couple years now. Should have a serial # on the back xx/99. Nice card!
Old 10-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #359
chezball

Quote:

It called vintage and it should be #'d to 99
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #360
pryantexas

Thank you Chezball and Scottagibson

Really appreciate the quick reply

It is indeed numbered to 99 and I didn't see it because its in black... I bought a case and just started opening. One of the first cases I've ever bought and am having some fun with it.

This forum is really nice because I know in other communities people would call me an idiot for buying something while being uninformed but that's how we all learn
Old 10-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #361
marl1220

Quote:

It is indeed numbered to 99 and I didn't see it because its in black... I bought a case and just started opening. One of the first cases I've ever bought and am having some fun with it.

This forum is really nice because I know in other communities people would call me an idiot for buying something while being uninformed but that's how we all learn
Be sure you keep an eye open for some other SP cards. Judge has different, "non-numbered", versions for most of his cards.
marl1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #362
pryantexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marl1220 View Post
Be sure you keep an eye open for some other SP cards. Judge has different, "non-numbered", versions for most of his cards.
Thanks for the tip - will do - makes this product more fun
Old 10-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #363
chezball

Quote:

ha ha give it some time.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #364
YankeeRic

I blame Topps a bit for labeling the photo variations as SP. Now, there were true SSP cards in Update, but the photo variations are not all that uncommon and I even got tripped up and paid more than I should have for one card before I realized.

Don't get me wrong, as a collector I appreciate this more than the cluster that was the SSPs in 2016 Update, but there has to be some consistency to the nomenclature.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #365
houston31911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ssYankees7cf View Post

I opened 1 hobby case and the Quality Control department failed miserably. I haven't counted yet, but it's in the 100's of damaged cards. Major corner damage, major edge damage, tons of surface issues. It's pretty ridiculous.
houston31911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #366
gpenko826

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston31911 View Post
I opened 1 hobby case and the Quality Control department failed miserably. I haven't counted yet, but it's in the 100's of damaged cards. Major corner damage, major edge damage, tons of surface issues. It's pretty ridiculous.
The backs of these cards, especially the parallels, are RIDDLED with scratches. I've never seen it this bad - it literally looks like they dragged the backs of these cards along a gravel sidewalk.
gpenko826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #367
moosetequila

Busted my first 2 cases of this crap... NEVER AGAIN!!!

As mentioned quality was absolute shat! Damaged product in like every pack.
Secondly... 2 hobby cases (one each from dif distributors) I got only 3 autos!!! What's worse, 2 of the autos were the same feking scrub!!!

I got a total of 3 SSP (Beni, Happ, and someone else)
2 camo, 3 pinks, 5 neg's, 5 blacks, and some other crap I cannot remember
2 Hank Aaron awards
A crap load of stitches... but I did get 2 gold Belly's
Plenty of Judge and Belly SP's and a ton of base.

I'm going to stick to my occasional case of chrome going forward.
moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #368
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetequila View Post

Secondly... 2 hobby cases (one each from dif distributors) I got only 3 autos!!! What's worse, 2 of the autos were the same feking scrub!!!

2 Hank Aaron awards

stick to slabs
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:37 AM   #369
ryknow216

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetequila View Post

2 Hank Aaron awards

Was just gonna ask if a jumbo box @ $99 was worth it.. there's my answer. Sorry for the junk man.
ryknow216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #370
Chrisyork33

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeRic View Post
I blame Topps a bit for labeling the photo variations as SP. Now, there were true SSP cards in Update, but the photo variations are not all that uncommon and I even got tripped up and paid more than I should have for one card before I realized.

Don't get me wrong, as a collector I appreciate this more than the cluster that was the SSPs in 2016 Update, but there has to be some consistency to the nomenclature.
I understand what you are saying, but Heritage SP's are considered SP's and they fall 1:3. It would be nice for some uniformity from year to year, which I think is ultimately your point.
Chrisyork33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #371
marl1220

Noticing that the breaks for this product, in the break section, are few and far between. Is no one buying?
Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #372
DaaaaBears

Weirdest thing happened to me yesterday - went to buy a couple boxes of this product from the lcs around the corner, but they were out of business?!?! Fungooli!!! What a surprise it was and retail scares me with all the molestation of packs and boxes and weighing and crap - I'm sooooo sad now
DaaaaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #373
marl1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaBears View Post
Weirdest thing happened to me yesterday - went to buy a couple boxes of this product from the lcs around the corner, but they were out of business?!?! Fungooli!!! What a surprise it was and retail scares me with all the molestation of packs and boxes and weighing and crap - I'm sooooo sad now
Order online. It's not the same as getting it from a LCS but it beats retail.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #374
cg5

has anyone pulled/seen the Alex Bregman '87 auto insert yet??
cg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #375
ThoseBackPages

im waiting on the Target Megas
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote