Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
CC_123

Default I am the Ponder believer

I think that I am the only believer in Christian Ponder on these boards. I'm not going to say he is going to put up 300+ yards every game, but I think that he can be the Alex Smith type of quarterback.

For the sake of making things easy, I'll just go by games played (1st 3 seasons)

Alex Smith-1st overall in 2005
32 games played
435-800 (54%)
4,679 yards
19 TD's
31 INT's
27 fumbles
Sacked 78 times
Record as starter 11-19
0 playoff appearance

Christian Ponder-12th overall in 2011
30 games played
517-874 (59%)
5,479 yards
33 TD's
30 INT's
15 fumbles
Sacked 72 times
Record as starter
Record as starter 12-17
1 playoff appearance

The stats are pretty similar through 30-32 games. Ponder does have a better completion percentage, more yards, and more TD's along with 1 less INT.

Here is why I STILL think Ponder can succeed. Everyone is being so tough on Ponder this season and blaming him for all 3 losses. I will give you the week 1 loss being on Ponder, but these past 2 weeks are not on him at all.

So far in 2013, Ponder has been sacked 10 times. Thats already 1/3rd of what he was sacked last season. The offensive line has given him absolutely no time to make reads and see where he should be going. He is running for his life more then he is standing in the pocket. Ponder wouldn't be receiving all of the criticism if the Vikings defense was able to hold up on defense the past 2 weeks on the opposing teams final drives. Ponder single handedly kept us in the game against the Browns using his legs. If the Vikings are sitting at 2-1 right now, all of the criticism is going on the offensive line for not blocking and the receivers for letting the ball bounce off their hands.

In 2012, Ponder led the Vikings to a 24-13 win over Alex Smith (his comparison) and outperformed him in that game. Ponder also beat Aaron Rodgers with an impressive game winning drive in a key game that got the Vikings into the postseason. Ponder threw 1 or less INT's in 12 games last season. Without Ponder, the Vikings wouldn't have made the playoffs. That showed when Webb played in the playoffs and couldn't handle it. Many Vikings fans felt that if Ponder would have played, we would have won that first playoff game.

You guys can sticky this, quote this, or do whatever you'd like to do with this. But people wanted Alex Smith out of San Fran for many years and now I bet they wish they could get him back. Smith may not have lived up to the 400+, 4 TD games that you expect out of a 1st overall pick, but what Smith does do is win games. And the reason why he wins games is because Harbaugh GAVE HIM A CHANCE and saw his potential! While it may take a little longer then Viking fans would hope, Ponder will mature into an NFL quarterback. Especially if the line can give him some time back there. Its still an early season, we are only 3 games in. I don't think its time to give up on Ponder. You won't see Cassel go in there and do any better. He has shown that he struggles immensely.

Ponder is going to go out there this Sunday (if his rib injury doesn't hold him out) against the Steelers and show all of the NFL why he is a starting quarterback and he will come out with the W going into the bye week. Ponder is the next coming of Alex Smith and the comparison shows it. Book it.

SKOL!
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Slette

I want you to be right, but don't think you will be.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
eliteco3
Banned

Ponder is not as bad as everyone says. He makes some nice plays sometimes and he could develop into an alex smith type
eliteco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
asujbl

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC_123 View Post
I think that I am the only believer in Christian Ponder on these boards. I'm not going to say he is going to put up 300+ yards every game, but I think that he can be the Alex Smith type of quarterback.

For the sake of making things easy, I'll just go by games played (1st 3 seasons)

32 games played
435-800 (54%)
4,679 yards
19 TD's
31 INT's
27 fumbles
Sacked 78 times
Record as starter 11-19
0 playoff appearance

30 games played
517-874 (59%)
5,479 yards
33 TD's
30 INT's
15 fumbles
Sacked 72 times
Record as starter
Record as starter 12-17
1 playoff appearance

The stats are pretty similar through 30-32 games. Ponder does have a better completion percentage, more yards, and more TD's along with 1 less INT.

Here is why I STILL think Ponder can succeed. Everyone is being so tough on Ponder this season and blaming him for all 3 losses. I will give you the week 1 loss being on Ponder, but these past 2 weeks are not on him at all.

So far in 2013, Ponder has been sacked 10 times. Thats already 1/3rd of what he was sacked last season. The offensive line has given him absolutely no time to make reads and see where he should be going. He is running for his life more then he is standing in the pocket. Ponder wouldn't be receiving all of the criticism if the Vikings defense was able to hold up on defense the past 2 weeks on the opposing teams final drives. Ponder single handedly kept us in the game against the Browns using his legs. If the Vikings are sitting at 2-1 right now, all of the criticism is going on the offensive line for not blocking and the receivers for letting the ball bounce off their hands.

In 2012, Ponder led the Vikings to a 24-13 win over Alex Smith (his comparison) and outperformed him in that game. Ponder also beat Aaron Rodgers with an impressive game winning drive in a key game that got the Vikings into the postseason. Ponder threw 1 or less INT's in 12 games last season. Without Ponder, the Vikings wouldn't have made the playoffs. That showed when Webb played in the playoffs and couldn't handle it. Many Vikings fans felt that if Ponder would have played, we would have won that first playoff game.

You guys can sticky this, quote this, or do whatever you'd like to do with this. But people wanted Alex Smith out of San Fran for many years and now I bet they wish they could get him back. Smith may not have lived up to the 400+, 4 TD games that you expect out of a 1st overall pick, but what Smith does do is win games. And the reason why he wins games is because Harbaugh GAVE HIM A CHANCE and saw his potential! While it may take a little longer then Viking fans would hope, Ponder will mature into an NFL quarterback. Especially if the line can give him some time back there. Its still an early season, we are only 3 games in. I don't think its time to give up on Ponder. You won't see Cassel go in there and do any better. He has shown that he struggles immensely.

Ponder is going to go out there this Sunday (if his rib injury doesn't hold him out) against the Steelers and show all of the NFL why he is a starting quarterback and he will come out with the W going into the bye week. Ponder is the next coming of Alex Smith and the comparison shows it. Book it.

SKOL!
You lost me.

Vikings fans are supposed to be excited that Ponder compares favorably to when Alex Smith was awful?

That's supposed to make them feel better about using a 1st rounder on him? That they will have to wait 5-10 years, wait for a dominant defense, and better WR's?

Interesting take.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
CC_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
You lost me.

Vikings fans are supposed to be excited that Ponder compares favorably to when Alex Smith was awful?

That's supposed to make them feel better about using a 1st rounder on him? That they will have to wait 5-10 years, wait for a dominant defense, and better WR's?

Interesting take.
What I am saying is that everyone wanted Alex Smith out of San Fran when he wasn't living up to the 1st overall pick. Nobody would ever give him the chance to play a complete season, but once he got that chance, he went 13-3 and led the 49ers. Ponder hasn't been the instant savior that everyone was hoping, but I am saying give him a chance. He very well could be Alex Smith v2.0.

The only difference is, Ponder has played on a winning team in his first 3 season, whereas Smith's best starting record in his first 5 seasons was 5-5. The thing is, the 49ers gave him a chance year in and year out and it paid off for them and now it is paying off for the Chiefs.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
AP4MVP

#PONDERING
AP4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
paparoke

Quote:

32 games played
435-800 (54%)
4,679 yards
19 TD's
31 INT's
27 fumbles
Sacked 78 times
Record as starter 11-19
0 playoff appearance

30 games played
517-874 (59%)
5,479 yards
33 TD's
30 INT's
15 fumbles
Sacked 72 times
Record as starter
Record as starter 12-17
1 playoff appearance

SKOL!
Sincerely,

Christian Ponder
paparoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
paparoke

Just messing with you man, great defense on Ponder. I think he could be decent given a solid receiving core as well as an offensive line.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
CC_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparoke View Post
Just messing with you man, great defense on Ponder. I think he could be decent given a solid receiving core as well as an offensive line.
His line has been non-existent this year. If his line was blocking, he probably only has 2 INTs on the year and doesn't have a fumble. Last weeks fumble was key because the final drive of the game, all we would have had to do is get into FG range, but when Loadholt doesn't even put a hand on the guy, its going to be rough on Ponder. I'd rather have the line hold the guy when they get past him and let Ponder work from 1st & 20, 2nd & 15, ect. then have him get blindsided and fumble it. Everyone is quick to put the blame on Ponder, but I point my finger at the line for not giving him any time to do anything!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
paparoke

Quote:
His line has been non-existent this year. If his line was blocking, he probably only has 2 INTs on the year and doesn't have a fumble. Last weeks fumble was key because the final drive of the game, all we would have had to do is get into FG range, but when Loadholt doesn't even put a hand on the guy, its going to be rough on Ponder. I'd rather have the line hold the guy when they get past him and let Ponder work from 1st & 20, 2nd & 15, ect. then have him get blindsided and fumble it. Everyone is quick to put the blame on Ponder, but I point my finger at the line for not giving him any time to do anything!
I feel your pain, as an Eagles fan, our offensive line was absolutely atrocious due to injury last year and had Vick scrambling literally on almost every play. It was extremely frustrating. Although I thought it was the line's fault, I do put some of the blame on Vick, as I firmly believe he doesn't know how to set the protection and doesn't react quick enough to hit his hot receiver. Teams stop blitzing when you're able to do those two things as a QB.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
player fly

they need to try something differant...Cassel should be the starter
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Busstop

I am with the OP !!!! Hopefully Ponder will start against the Steelers in London !!!!

So the Steelers will have a bigger chance to win this game !!!!

GO STEELERS !!!
UD Legends '97: 130/168
Busstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
CC_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by player fly View Post
they need to try something differant...Cassel should be the starter
You have watched Cassel play the past 2 years haven't you? He had 2x the amount of INT's last season then TD's. He hasn't had a successful season since 2008 and then 2010. Cassel didn't even look good in preseason. I think that Ponder should remain the starter for the season, unless injured. And if he is injured, I'd rather have Bethel-Thompson in there over Cassel. Bethel-Thompson at least looked good in preseason. But I don't think you give up on the 12th overall pick after just 30 games.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Boo

The only good thing Ponder has going for him is his wife.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
freethrowtommy

I am not saying Ponder won't figure it out, but he needs help... quickly.

It is obvious the coaching staff has no idea how to coach a QB. The Vikings need to hire an offensive mind to coach that team if they want any hope of Ponder to develop. Smith got Harbaugh. Andy Reid is a similar QB/offensive minded coach. That is the biggest reason he figured it out. Ponder and Smith appear to have a similar skill set, so if given the chance, I can see an Alex Smith II, but they need to get to him before he is too f'ed up or already out the door.

I honestly think it will be too late for Ponder by the time they figure that out.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
player fly

i just think they need to try something differant. i am tired of ponder smilling in games when there is absolutely no reason to be smiling. and he also missed an open jennings that could have sealed the deal against the browns.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
tjenkins

Ponder also has the world's best running back and argueably the best running back to ever be (time will tell). He better have better passing numbers with 7 to 8 people in the box? I want you to be so right about Ponder because I am a 50 year Vikings fan and hopefully I will be for another 50 (if I live that long) but I really think Ponder has to get a lot better with his accuracy. He just can not hit his spots yet. The thing about the NFL is saying it....does not get it done. Ponders NFL (Not For Long) QB window has been open for three years and it has to happen sooner before later. How long should we wait for him to become Alex Smith because likely AP will become disenchanted and move on and he is our gravy train not Ponder.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
CubKings

Our line has been horrible in all facets this year. I do believe Ponder would be better with a more functional line, but how much better I don't know. He has pretty good receivers now and the best RB in the game. If the line gets better and the D more consistent, then Ponder will have no excuses but himself.

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/cublife
CubKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
canuhandle23

too be honest....best bet.. is too get rid of ponder. Bring in a new offensive qb guru type of coach. Then draft the qb that you think is the most coach-able and start fresh. Qbs best friend is a rb which he had, a te which he has. Then he had one of the premier slot wrs in football last year. I have seen him play every game he isnt a game changer, arm is tad below average, he is shell shocked in the pocket.

He was a reach when he was drafted, he has played like one but on the bright side he will make a serviceable backup for the next ten 10yrs and his wife looks like fun.
canuhandle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
bballcollector

The game against the Packers last year had me sold on him. He was pretty good.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
CC_123

While he has the best HB in the world, that doesn't matter when the offensive line can't hold up. A defense can stack 8 in the box all they want with how our line is holding up. If the line was holding up, Ponder would be more consistent, but over half of the time, Ponder is being hurried which isn't helping his cause. We the line holds up, Ponder has been making better decisions and throws. All of Ponders success will be based on the success of the line and right now, the line is having little success
Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #22
AP4MVP

Rib injury clouds status of Christian Ponder of Minnesota Vikings - ESPN.
Can we hear the Cassel chants again?
AP4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
Razorsharp79
Banned

got this ponder for THE believers at 750, lmk
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
achilles01987

Your list grew by 2, bro. I also believe in him.

Quote:

32 games played
435-800 (54%)
4,679 yards
19 TD's
31 INT's
27 fumbles
Sacked 78 times
Record as starter 11-19
0 playoff appearance

30 games played
517-874 (59%)
5,479 yards
33 TD's
30 INT's
15 fumbles
Sacked 72 times
Record as starter
Record as starter 12-17
1 playoff appearance

SKOL!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
gergs1134

Ponder is not the reason the Vikes are 0-3. Can he be a difference maker? I hope so. But there were 3 occurences the last game that are causing me to think the Vikes need to cut bait and see what someone else can do.

1. The fumble just before the half. Yes he was bumrushed, but he had to see it coming. Eat the ball and take the 3 points.
2. Failure to hit a wide open Joe Webb in the endzone. He has poor accuracy that has been shown before and often, but this cost them an opportunity to put the game away.
3. Poor execution of the 2 minute offense. Why are you trying to complete a seven yard pass in the middle of the field with 30 seconds left and no timeouts? The odds of scoring were poor, but cmon man at least give yourself a chance.

As long as I'm on my soapbox I have to say that I can't believe the Vikes coaches did not protest the 15 yard penalty when Frazier threw the challenge flag. That cost them a shot at possible points as well.
gergs1134 is offline   Reply With Quote