Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #326
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Unless the Cubs are kicking something else in, why would the Red Sox do this? Schwarber wasnt good last year.

I think Benteindeni is untouchable and for good reason.
I donít know why either team would do it. Personally, Iíd much rather have Schwarber, notwithstanding his very bad first half of last season. People who are writing him off because of that are really foolish.

Just saw a story on Bleacher Report suggesting the Red Sox were interested in Schwarber and speculating the Cubs likely wouldnít be interested unless someone like Betts or Benny was coming their way.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #327
Homerun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
This is absolute crazy talk. I honestly cannot even believe that you believe this.
I guess the Red Sox finishing 26th in all of baseball in homeruns last season is just my imagination.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #328
Ray27Ray52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
I guess the Red Sox finishing 26th in all of baseball in homeruns last season is just my imagination.
This is irrelevant to your statement. Benintendi was ROY if not for Judge last year. He is entrenched as a future centerpiece for the Red Sox with years of control. There is no need to trade him, even for an established player like Abreu.
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Ray27Ray52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #329
Boo

Quote:
People overvalue young players way too much.

Abreu is one of the best all around hitters available this offseason and he would make the Red Sox lineup much better. He would fill the role left vacant by David Ortiz.

Benintendi and Devers haven't really proven anything yet.
Gold coming from you...Moncada this, Moncada that. LMAO.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #330
fulltritty

Abreu lit up Oriole, Yankee, and Toronto pitching last year, so maybe Boston would be wise to trade for him.
fulltritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #331
Homerun

Quote:
This is irrelevant to your statement. Benintendi was ROY if not for Judge last year. He is entrenched as a future centerpiece for the Red Sox with years of control. There is no need to trade him, even for an established player like Abreu.
It isn't irrelevant.

The Red Sox proved last year that they are starved for a power bat in lieu of Ortiz retiring. Abreu would provide said power. He'd probably hit 40 homers a year playing half his games in Fenway.

This whole conversation is silly because I think Abreu is staying put anyway but I can't believe you guys don't realize how good he is. It's not like he's a one year anamoly.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #332
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltritty View Post
Abreu lit up Oriole, Yankee, and Toronto pitching last year, so maybe Boston would be wise to trade for him.
And Benny showed up Judge in his own house multiple times...I think they will hang on to him.
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #333
Ray27Ray52

Quote:
It isn't irrelevant.

The Red Sox proved last year that they are starved for a power bat in lieu of Ortiz retiring. Abreu would provide said power. He'd probably hit 40 homers a year playing half his games in Fenway.

This whole conversation is silly because I think Abreu is staying put anyway but I can't believe you guys don't realize how good he is. It's not like he's a one year anamoly.
The point is they don't need to trade assets to strengthen their power numbers. There are plenty of Free Agents that they can open the wallet for to add to the team instead of dealing players.
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Ray27Ray52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #334
Homerun

Quote:
The point is they don't need to trade assets to strengthen their power numbers. There are plenty of Free Agents that they can open the wallet for to add to the team instead of dealing players.
Fair enough. I'd tend to agree.

Like I said, I don't think the White Sox will trade Abreu anyway. It's far more likely that Avisail Garcia is dealt.

I just wanted to dispel the notion that Abreu somehow isn't a star because that's utterly ridiculous. He's played on bad Sox teams so he doesn't get the national attention but he's one of the better hitters in the league without a doubt.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #335
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Fair enough. I'd tend to agree.

Like I said, I don't think the White Sox will trade Abreu anyway. It's far more likely that Avisail Garcia is dealt.

I just wanted to dispel the notion that Abreu somehow isn't a star because that's utterly ridiculous. He's played on bad Sox teams so he doesn't get the national attention but he's one of the better hitters in the league without a doubt.
He's not a star.

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #336
Homerun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
He's not a star.
I bet you think Miguel Cabrera is better than him.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #337
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
I bet you think Miguel Cabrera is better than him.
Broken down Miggy of 2017? LMAO.

Ya know, it's not an insult to say a player is just very good, but you probably are sitting there thinking Avi is a star too

Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #338
fulltritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
And Benny showed up Judge in his own house multiple times...I think they will hang on to him.
And who was the ROY who broke records? Not Benny! I never even mentioned that Boston needed to trade Benny, just that they need a bat like Abreu, but you feel the need to continue to fight with everyone who suggests the pathetic homerun-less Red Sox after steroid Papi retired should actually make a trade to better their team. Maybe you should go back to complaining about how crappy your teams #1 and #2 pitchers are.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #339
BostonNut

Quote:
And who was the ROY who broke records? Not Benny! I never even mentioned that Boston needed to trade Benny, just that they need a bat like Abreu, but you feel the need to continue to fight with everyone who suggests the pathetic homerun-less Red Sox after steroid Papi retired should actually make a trade to better their team. Maybe you should go back to complaining about how crappy your teams #1 and #2 pitchers are.
So salty.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #340
Boo

Quote:
So salty.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #341
fulltritty

Quote:
So salty.
Is that the snowflake term of the day? Just proving a point.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #342
IamRalpho

Miguel Cabrera is going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer, not sure why his name was brought in here. Jose Abreu wont be a Hall of Famer.

Even if the Red Sox didnt have the power options available in FA, you still dont trade a 23 year old, signed for 5 more years, who just went 20/20 for 2 years of a 1B.

You do that, you lose your job.

I do not ask for much, but please leave feedback if everything goes well with our deal.
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #343
Homerun

Quote:
Broken down Miggy of 2017? LMAO.

Ya know, it's not an insult to say a player is just very good, but you probably are sitting there thinking Avi is a star too
Nah, I'm not really a fan of Avi. I hope they trade him and sell high this offseason.

Can you elaborate as to how Abreu isn't a star? I genuinely want to see your reasoning.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #344
Hollywood42

Sox won 93 games last year. Just because other teams hit more home runs doesn't mean the Sox need to hit more if they're winning 93 games anyways. And even if it did, they should just gift one of their best young players under team control for a long time on a super small contract, just for someone that can hit more home runs? It doesn't make sense

Nobody here has ever said Abreu is a 1 year wonder. His stats are good. But there is absolutely no way he brings Beni or Devers in trade

Quote:
It isn't irrelevant.

Highly doubt the Sox would trade Beni for Schwarbs. Schwarbs has more power, but he hit for a god-awful average last year (no, I don't think that's his ceiling, but you also can't assume he'll hit .280) and is a huge defensive liability. Beni does a bit of everything offensively and defensively

That said, I think the Cubs' asking price for Schwarber is going to be a lot more than any team is going to be willing to pay. Which is too bad, because I think he could really, really thrive as a DH. As long as he has to play in the outfield, I don't think he can come near his potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bryzzo View Post
If Benny is going anywhere (and I donít think he is), itís to the Cubs for Schwarber.

Rumblings in last couple days that Red Sox may be interested in War Bear as DH/1B. Theo has always coveted Benny and planned to draft him instead of Happ until Boston grabbed him just ahead of the Cubsí pick.

I donít think this deal will happen and I personally donít want it to happen, but I think the Red Sox would only consider moving Benny if they were getting back a big LH power guy who is also young and under team control for many years.
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #345
BostonNut

Quote:
Is that the snowflake term of the day? Just proving a point.
Just trying to fit in.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #346
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Miguel Cabrera is going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer, not sure why his name was brought in here. Jose Abreu wont be a Hall of Famer.

Even if the Red Sox didnt have the power options available in FA, you still dont trade a 23 year old, signed for 5 more years, who just went 20/20 for 2 years of a 1B.

You do that, you lose your job.
He thinks because I'm a Tigers fan that I'm automatically a homer like he is?

Quote:
Nah, I'm not really a fan of Avi. I hope they trade him and sell high this offseason.

Can you elaborate as to how Abreu isn't a star? I genuinely want to see your reasoning.
He's a 1st basemen, so his base line is higher for me. There are plenty of 1st base type guys that can hit 25/100 (See: Mark Trumbo). He's a .350 OBP guy, that's a good OBP, for a 1st basemen that's not star level, though, same for his isolated power numbers and just raw home run total. His wRC+ is well above average, but his defense leaves some to be desired and doesn't make up for it enough with his offense.

When I think of a STAR (not a superstar, but a star), I'm thinking top 25 player or so in Baseball. Would Jose Abreu be a guy regardless of age in my top 25? No. That's not an insult to him, he's just not in that caliber of player. Is he in your top 25?

Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #347
texmcpherson

Quote:
Careful youíll attract unwanted attention with a statement like that
Old 12-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #348
texmcpherson

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmcpherson View Post
Careful youíll attract unwanted attention with a statement like that
Sorry, I see I was too late
Old 12-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #349
Homerun

Quote:
He thinks because I'm a Tigers fan that I'm automatically a homer like he is?

He's a 1st basemen, so his base line is higher for me. There are plenty of 1st base type guys that can hit 25/100 (See: Mark Trumbo). He's a .350 OBP guy, that's a good OBP, for a 1st basemen that's not star level, though, same for his isolated power numbers and just raw home run total. His wRC+ is well above average, but his defense leaves some to be desired and doesn't make up for it enough with his offense.

When I think of a STAR (not a superstar, but a star), I'm thinking top 25 player or so in Baseball. Would Jose Abreu be a guy regardless of age in my top 25? No. That's not an insult to him, he's just not in that caliber of player. Is he in your top 25?
Yes, he is. Granted he barely makes my list but still. The fact that he's mediocre defensively and is only a first baseman is a knock against him, but he's definitely in my top 25 from strictly an offensive standpoint.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #350
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Yes, he is. Granted he barely makes my list but still. The fact that he's mediocre defensively and is only a first baseman is a knock against him, but he's definitely in my top 25 from strictly an offensive standpoint.
As a total player, is he in your top 25? Because that's what we're judging is a Baseball player, not half his game.