Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Is Adam Vinatieri a first ballot HOFíer?
Yes 102 78.46%
No 23 17.69%
Heís not a Hall of Famer 5 3.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #26
TWard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason122883 View Post
Hmm. Well, Hanson has the 4th most points in NFL history, and his career accuracy numbers are pretty close to Vinatieri.

Interesting. I didnít realize he was that high on the all-time list.

Go Colts.
TWard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #27
RogerGodahell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
No question.

He carried Brady for the first half of Brady's career.
Yes! He won those super bowls with his foot. Carried them the whole way!

On a serious note Vinatieri is a great kicker, probably will go down with the most points ever. Im not sure about 1st ballot, the argument could definitely be made. But he's a sure fire HOF no doubt.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #28
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

3124508- I understand the importance of a reliable kicker. It just takes a reliable Receiver, Running back, Quarterback, Tight End, OL or defense to position a kicker to perform their task. If corners are on a Island than Kickers are on a Row Boat. Kickers have to be "Confidant" at all times. All times are how many plays in a game?
In my opinion, Kickers are role players who need to perform their role on average 6 times a game. All the other players need to perform their role on average of how many times a game ? Vinatieri performed his role as good as any kicker in the game but the other players needed to do the same but 40 times in a game.
Stifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #29
3124508 on COMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
3124508- I understand the importance of a reliable kicker. It just takes a reliable Receiver, Running back, Quarterback, Tight End, OL or defense to position a kicker to perform their task. If corners are on a Island than Kickers are on a Row Boat. Kickers have to be "Confidant" at all times. All times are how many plays in a game?
In my opinion, Kickers are role players who need to perform their role on average 6 times a game. All the other players need to perform their role on average of how many times a game ? Vinatieri performed his role as good as any kicker in the game but the other players needed to do the same but 40 times in a game.
So you're saying that due to the construction of the game of football, he should not be in the football Hall of Fame? It's not the Athlete Hall of Fame.
3124508 on COMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #30
Stifle

3124508- Due to the construction of the question, I would need to see who is going to be on the ballot with Adam V.
For those who believe he is a first selection HOF. AV played with Brady, Manning, Wayne, Ty Law, Teddy B, Wilfork, J. Saturday, B. Sanders, D. Freeney, M. Harrison and a slew of other notables. Where would Adam V. be drafted if each of these players were on the market and it would be for what they accomplished in their careers. Only 4 can be voted in as First round picks. Where would he be? That is similar to what the Hall does in its selection.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #31
Bassplayah101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
No question.

He carried Brady for the first half of Brady's career.
such a troll.
Bassplayah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #32
Stifle

Bass- Boston is a die hard fan, he just backs his guys. It's understandable.

Just waiting to see where other members select from the list I left. It's easy to say AV should be a first Ballot until a list of other notable players are attached to the question.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #33
BostonNut

Quote:
Bass- Boston is a die hard fan, he just backs his guys. It's understandable.
Your sarcasm meter is smashed to bits.
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #34
rats60

No chance. There is too much of a back log of deserving players for any kicker to get in on the first ballot. He will make it in, but he will have to wait a few years.
rats60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #35
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
No chance. There is too much of a back log of deserving players for any kicker to get in on the first ballot. He will make it in, but he will have to wait a few years.
Exactly this and being a kicker they will make him cool his heels partly for being a kicker and partly for his personality.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #36
YuppieMonkey

He will be a first ballot hall of famer without question.
YuppieMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #37
Stifle

Boston- I throw you a bone because I'm a Patriots fan and you throw me back a grenade with a loose pin. Ease up, I know Patriots fans have taken enough hate but it's not coming from me.
I'm still waiting for anybody to select AV out of the group of players who I had left as a choice to pick if a GM were drafting for what each player did in their career. To be a First Ballot HOF member, being the 4th selection out of the group I left shouldn't be difficult. It's easy to say, he should be in, but this what the committee has to determine. In my estimation, he wouldn't be a top 8 out of the group he played with.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #38
MFaulkCollector

i don't think total points matter in this instance

sometimes you just watch a guy and for whatever reason it's crystal clear he is a hall of famer for whatever reason

in this instance... vinatieri make a 45 yard field goal in a driving snow storm, then a 50 yard field goal to end a super bowl against a heavily favored rams team.... that jump started the greatest dynasty and player/coach combo to ever step foot on the field.... and he made endless big kicks in the next two super bowls, then for the colts as well.

his situation may have been a perfect opportunity never afforded to another kicker, but he grabbed it by the balls and did everything right. i think he is a first ballot hofer and should be considered among the 50 best players in nfl history
Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #39
RW3FAN

If Edgar Martinez isnít in baseball, a kicker wonít.
RW3FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #40
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
3124508- Due to the construction of the question, I would need to see who is going to be on the ballot with Adam V.
For those who believe he is a first selection HOF. AV played with Brady, Manning, Wayne, Ty Law, Teddy B, Wilfork, J. Saturday, B. Sanders, D. Freeney, M. Harrison and a slew of other notables. Where would Adam V. be drafted if each of these players were on the market and it would be for what they accomplished in their careers. Only 4 can be voted in as First round picks. Where would he be? That is similar to what the Hall does in its selection.
this is a pretty cool way to look at it.... i would just say that new england can/has plugged in defensive guys over the years and production hasn't really dropped off all that much.

they have only had two kickers.... both of which are among the best to ever kick in the nfl.... the patriots don't have the super bowls they have without great kicking; and that piece is not replaced and recycled every few years like so many pieces. i think he was as crucial to the early super bowls as was brady and belichik

to answer the question..... i think brady, manning, then i would probably go vinatieri third....... law/bruschi 4th/5th... then harrison. its a very unique way to look at the situation
Old 12-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #41
Stifle

1. Brady, 2. Manning, 3.M. Harrison, 4. D. Freeney, 5. R. Wayne, 6. T. Law, 7. T. Brouschi, 8. W. McGinist, 9. A. Vin / V. Wilfork, 11. J. Saturday.
If GM's selected out of that group, Vinatieri would be lucky to land in the top 12. Value to a team, if you can play 40 downs a game at a high level such as Ty Law who did more for the Patriots than Vinatieri, then that player should receive more votes.
Ty Law shut down M. Harrison and even had 3 Int's in a single game and held Harrison to the same receptions with just a few more reception yards allowed than his INT yards. Law took a SB INT when the Pats were behind for a Touchdown. Ty Law deserves it more than Vinatieri.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #42
twenty4seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWard View Post
The Hall should have the best players at their position in the HOF
Yes.

When any league or any sport has a player as clutch or reliable as Vinatieri at any position, it must receive the accolades that it deserves.

For a kicker, there is a certain amount of pressure that must be faced when the clock is stopped and the spotlight is on them. It's a different kind of pressure especially when the game is on the line.

FG: 552/652 84.7%

PAT: 803/818 98.2%

Total Career Points: 2459

Those are special numbers right there!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #43
Gigantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty4seven View Post
Yes.

When any league or any sport has a player as clutch or reliable as Vinatieri at any position, it must receive the accolades that it deserves.

For a kicker, there is a certain amount of pressure that must be faced when the clock is stopped and the spotlight is on them. It's a different kind of pressure especially when the game is on the line.

FG: 552/652 84.7%

PAT: 803/818 98.2%

Total Career Points: 2459

Those are special numbers right there!
To add to that:

Record 44 consecutive FG made

33 4th quarter GW field goals as of end of 2015 season. (based on this guys website and link). I think he added one more this year against SF.

http://www.footballperspective.com/f...goals-part-ii/

Old 12-10-2017, 11:47 PM   #44
Stifle

Ty Law had the Greatest Interception season EVER in the history of the NFL in 2005. Look it up. Ty Law would shut down a HOF receiver while intercepting Hall of Fame quarterbacks in the Post Season.
Ty law in 2 Post Season games covering Marvin Harrison held him to 5 Rec. for 67 yards while intercepting P. Manning 5 times for 59 Int Return yards. Took A Kurt Warner Super Bowl INT back to the house.
I believe AV is the greatest Kicker ever but I also believe that the Best 6th man coming off the bench in the NBA isn't going to be better than Jordan, LJ. Wilt, etc.

Last edited by Stifle; 12-10-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #45
HBMC

Vinatieri will be in the HOF, but he's not likely to get in on first ballot, even with all of his accolades and accomplishments. He's quite a remarkable player for the fact that he's been in as long as he has while he was a UDFA back in 1995.

The NFL HOF has a serious backlog of very deserving positional players and linemen. Their entry limit is a solid number, but there's been so many great players who haven't received the call yet.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:09 AM   #46
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Ty Law had the Greatest Interception season EVER in the history of the NFL in 2005. Look it up. Ty Law would shut down a HOF receiver while intercepting Hall of Fame quarterbacks in the Post Season.
Ty law in 2 Post Season games covering Marvin Harrison held him to 5 Rec. for 67 yards while intercepting P. Manning 5 times for 59 Int Return yards. Took A Kurt Warner Super Bowl INT back to the house.
I believe AV is the greatest Kicker ever but I also believe that the Best 6th man coming off the bench in the NBA isn't going to be better than Jordan, LJ. Wilt, etc.
the 6th man isn't a position...... it's just a lesser version of a starter at the same position

kicker is a position designated by the nfl rules..... however unfortunate that is or isn't

and often times the top of the line athletes are standing on the sideline watching said kicker stand over the ball with the game on the line

when you consider the pressure on nfl field goal kickers, plus the fact he made possibly the best fg in history against the raiders, then iced a super bowl that started a dynasty just two weeks later......... he impacted the history of the game unlike any kicker has. for his performance in helping to start the greatest dynasty in football history, plus continued greatness through their first 3 sb's, then his 14/15 post season kicks for indy in 06 to win yet another

i think he needs to be viewed as having a true influence on nfl history, he make kicks that could change how many other players are viewed on an all time stage...... and i know kickers aren't often athletes, they aren't on the field all that much, but kicker is a position and his influence on the nfl can't be denied. for that reason i can't see how he doesn't make the hall first ballot
Old 12-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #47
Stifle

MFaulkCollector- My point exactly. The 6th man isn't a position, it's a role. The role of Ty Law covering and shutting down the top receiver for the opponents and picking off the second best quarterback in the last 20 years 5 times in the Post Season is unmatched. Other players have taken interceptions back for TD's in the SB, but none have ever had the season which Law had in 2005.
AV was brilliant for the Pats in their Super Bowl runs but he wasn't Ty Law who played a much more vital role in allowing AV to do his thing. Law performed his magic over 40 times a game. Holding the best to be a non factor.
Look at how the best Kickers are paid compared to the best cornerbacks. The reason for this is the role they play in helping a team. I'm not knocking AV, but his role wasn't as vital as a Ty Law.

Last edited by Stifle; 12-11-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #48
Siberian13

We are taking about kickers here? No, just no. One day he will be but not 1st ballot. He needs to wait in line behind more deserving players. Haha, we talking about kickers.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #49
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
MFaulkCollector- My point exactly. The 6th man isn't a position, it's a role. The role of Ty Law covering and shutting down the top receiver for the opponents and picking off the second best quarterback in the last 20 years 5 times in the Post Season is unmatched. Other players have taken interceptions back for TD's in the SB, but none have ever had the season which Law had in 2005.
AV was brilliant for the Pats in their Super Bowl runs but he wasn't Ty Law who played a much more vital role in allowing AV to do his thing. Law performed his magic over 40 times a game. Holding the best to be a non factor.
Look at how the best Kickers are paid compared to the best cornerbacks. The reason for this is the role they play in helping a team. I'm not knocking AV, but his role wasn't as vital as a Ty Law.
i can certainly appreciate what you are saying.... ty law is a boss, the guy was clutch and did his thing at a level the post season that many other guys could not ever dream of..... plays the cb position, there are a lot of cb's in the hall of fame

kickers just don't make the hall of fame.... and for good reason....... although the position is not necessarily less important, getting on the field for 6 plays or so a game is not impressive

however, i think vinatieri in his 6 plays a game has had a significant impact on the history of the nfl and has helped to define the careers of both tom brady and peyton manning; and how they are compared against one another. he made kicks that directly ended in super bowl championships to help start the greatest dynasty in sports history. and on top of that he has played forever, accumulated the second most points and second most game winning filed goals. his 85 percentage is better than practically everyone who has played 15 or more years.

the hall of fame is the name....... joe namath helped to define the modern nfl in one game.... he wasn't really even a top level qb for more than a few years... and maybe only great for his words and antics. but his influence on the game cannot be denied and he is a hofer (i know, i know, qb plays every offensive snap and is more important)... but for me kicker is a defined position and vinatieri has transcended that position and had a huge impact on nfl history.... that is why i think he is a first ballot hofer

i cannot argue that ty law as a performing athlete wasn't better, nor do i want to... law was a great player............ but the visible influence and "fame" factor along with some accumulation i think cements AV as not only the most influential, but the best period, at his position..... and since that position is recognized by the league i can't see how he shouldn't be rewarded with a first ballot nod (not to be confused with a punt returner like devin hester who was the best at their position but had little to no direct influence on nfl history; that is the distinction)

i hope that makes more sense..... and i think ty law is a hofer as well just for the record, not first ballot though

Last edited by MFaulkCollector; 12-11-2017 at 10:03 AM.
MFaulkCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #50
RogerGodahell

Quote:
1. Brady, 2. Manning, 3.M. Harrison, 4. D. Freeney, 5. R. Wayne, 6. T. Law, 7. T. Brouschi, 8. W. McGinist, 9. A. Vin / V. Wilfork, 11. J. Saturday.
If GM's selected out of that group, Vinatieri would be lucky to land in the top 12. Value to a team, if you can play 40 downs a game at a high level such as Ty Law who did more for the Patriots than Vinatieri, then that player should receive more votes.
Ty Law shut down M. Harrison and even had 3 Int's in a single game and held Harrison to the same receptions with just a few more reception yards allowed than his INT yards. Law took a SB INT when the Pats were behind for a Touchdown. Ty Law deserves it more than Vinatieri.
So many Patriots