FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Bassplayah101

Default Panini Announces SP's in Contenders Optic Football

https://blog.paniniamerica.net/2018/...ptic-football/
Bassplayah101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
tnvolfan16

not being smart against the poster, but I don't think anyone really cares about their SP list anymore. I bet the prices do not move one bit unless they say that a particular card has 10 copies. less than 100 can mean a lot and really doesn't mean anything
Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvolfan16 View Post
not being smart against the poster, but I don't think anyone really cares about their SP list anymore. I bet the prices do not move one bit unless they say that a particular card has 10 copies. less than 100 can mean a lot and really doesn't mean anything
Actually it helps to know, just like regular Contenders & Contenders DP with how people want to know about those. I said I thought there were with how many Kamara & Hunts are out and how many Kaaya have been listed. So there are a total of 401 of the SP's thru all colors and the SSP's there are only 201 thru all colors. It also tells people there may be less than 100 complete sets!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
Siberian13

Quote:
They need to just serial number all cards that arenít base anyways. Not sure why they canít do this going forward.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
goodole13

I care. I enjoy seeing where the Rams land. I figured Josh Reynolds was an SSP, glad I was able to pick one up.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #6
goodole13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
They need to just serial number all cards that arenít base anyways. Not sure why they canít do this going forward.
Like they did back in 2002 and 2003.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Bassplayah101

Quote:
Sorry, I dont agree. In fact, EVERYONE I know cares about SP lists.
Bassplayah101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
thenwhatjk

This product seems like it didn’t set the world on fire like expected, no?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Seahawks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayah101 View Post
Sorry, I dont agree. In fact, EVERYONE I know cares about SP lists.
Sp lists don't matter anymore. Back in the day you could get hundreds for scrub SPs and star sps would also go for hundreds aswell. Now ridiculous SPs of decent players like Tryrann Mathieau /25 go for under $100. The reason why is all the parallels... so Now that same Tyrann has a variation/25, cracked ice/ 25, variation ci/25, playoff /99, variation playoff/99 plus the 2 1/1s.. now it's not short printed when there is 300 copies. If you havn't noticed it's affected the old prices too. Carson Palmer had one of the rarest back in the day at 158 now it's under a hundo aswell. Now you have regular and Optic further watering down the amount of total autos. If they took away the variation versions and only had 1 Superbowl ticket it would bring back the fun imo.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
majestik101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatjk View Post
This product seems like it didn’t set the world on fire like expected, no?
Overpriced for 2 autographs, sticker autos for the big veteran names, and seems like 90% of the on card autos are streaky.

I'm particularly thankful I did not buy any boxes.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post
Sp lists don't matter anymore. Back in the day you could get hundreds for scrub SPs and star sps would also go for hundreds aswell. Now ridiculous SPs of decent players like Tryrann Mathieau /25 go for under $100. The reason why is all the parallels... so Now that same Tyrann has a variation/25, cracked ice/ 25, variation ci/25, playoff /99, variation playoff/99 plus the 2 1/1s.. now it's not short printed when there is 300 copies. If you havn't noticed it's affected the old prices too. Carson Palmer had one of the rarest back in the day at 158 now it's under a hundo aswell. Now you have regular and Optic further watering down the amount of total autos. If they took away the variation versions and only had 1 Superbowl ticket it would bring back the fun imo.
I agree SP's are watered down due to just so many parallel's in every single product being put out. Do we really need 10 different colors in so many products of base and every insert in the product?

But really this stuff for the $100 or so most got in on & at that price there isn't much your pulling 2 auto's (1 on card) with a lot of $500-$3000+ cards? I know I didn't lose on my pack. I think when this dries up more and if some of this rookie class stands out you might think otherwise.

Let's bump this after next year and see how Watson/Mahomes/Trubisky/Fournette/Cook/Kamara etc do this year.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #12
roberth404

Quote:
This product seems like it didnít set the world on fire like expected, no?
Did any product this year after the first two weeks? Maybe Contenders, but that's a staple. Prizm seemed to do OK. Optic Contenders fell flat. No one cared about Select. NT was the same old junk (many might disagree). And who cares about the rest.
roberth404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberth404 View Post
Did any product this year after the first two weeks? Maybe Contenders, but that's a staple. Prizm seemed to do OK. Optic Contenders fell flat. No one cared about Select. NT was the same old junk (many might disagree). And who cares about the rest.
Is FOTL products seem to be doing well between football and basketball, right? Seems there is a lot of excitement over both sports with FOTL. I like it because it skips a middle man who jacks their prices up for no reason.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #14
roberth404

Quote:
Is FOTL products seem to be doing well between football and basketball, right? Seems there is a lot of excitement over both sports with FOTL. I like it because it skips a middle man who jacks their prices up for no reason.
That is true, and I actually like the Stars & Stripes set, and I don't think any consumer is going to complain about cutting out the middleman. What I don't like is adding another dimension to a set already filled with lots of variants and parallels. Makes things very confusing and chaotic. It's just too much information for me to sift through and dissect and also creates a vast knowledge barrier for new entrants into the market. Less is more in this case.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
Spartyon

Ended up picking up 4-5 Kaaya's, 1 fournette and a Joshua Dobbs. Got the fournette and dobbs for steals. I am hoping this will boost pricing a bit but also not sure if it will due to it being the first year of release.
Spartyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #16
twisty571

Quote:
Yes the Stars & Stripes are nice but they all don't bring $500+ and now a box is a $1000+....better pray you hit a big name
Old 03-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #17
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty571 View Post
Yes the Stars & Stripes are nice but they all don't bring $500+ and now a box is a $1000+....better pray you hit a big name
I like it because you skip the middle man and paid $500. So my statement was assuming you got it from the panini site. Anyone dumb enough to buy boxes from the middle man for $1000 deserves to feel and be cheated. $500 is bad enough.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
Siberian13

They aren’t short prints if you can’t prove it. It’s also not a short print if nobody wants it. Like say a Drew Bledsoe or a Christian Hackenberg card
Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #19
starfox

Quote:
Prizm was ok? No one cared about Select? Wow - that's news to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
starfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #20
Siberian13

Quote:
I heard Preferred is pretty solid. Itís so good in basketball they had to add it to those junk white sparkle packs just to move those white sparkles. Solid product!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:35 AM   #21
goodole13

Quote:
Not attacking you, but I was just thinking of this. You wrote, "I don't think anyone really cares about their SP list anymore." Yet, you still opened and posted in this thread, and you also said, "I bet the prices do not move one bit unless they say that a particular card has 10 copies." Based on your post, you are quite interested in the SPs, especially the fact the SPs will not increase the overall price of a card. From the sound of your post, it seems you may be checking/comparing prices. While you might say you don't care, I think a little bit of you does.

Also, to say you don't think anyone cares anymore is a little over the top. Just because you might not care (even though your post says otherwise), doesn't mean everyone else doesn't care. Surely, there are more people that care than don't care. Hence why Panini continues to do it.

At the end of 2017, I started collecting every Rams Rookie Ticket ever made, and I have really enjoyed it so far. Researching the SPs, and the ink color variations in 2003 and 2004, have added excitement and fun to the collecting. I think it adds a little to the mystique of Contenders, the collectability, and the excitement of seeing if the team you collect has players that are SP/SSP. Of course, that's just my opinion. Others may think differently, while some may like it for their own reasons.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 AM   #22
roberth404

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
Prizm was ok? No one cared about Select? Wow - that's news to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I meant that positively. And personally Prizm is top 3 for me among the Panini brand, and I liked the look of the base set this year including the parallels.

Didn't hear a thing about Select after its release! There was some buzz just before its release and some prior discussion regarding the XRC draft cards, but that was it.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #23
progfan86

Quote:
Yeah, I meant that positively. And personally Prizm is top 3 for me among the Panini brand, and I liked the look of the base set this year including the parallels.

Didn't hear a thing about Select after its release! There was some buzz just before its release and some prior discussion regarding the XRC draft cards, but that was it.
Select went up in price from 130 to 200 a box pretty quick. Sold out quickly.
progfan86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #24
JayConley

Quote:
This product seems like it didnít set the world on fire like expected, no?
I didn't like it. I broke a bit of it and had high hopes. It's an idea that, on the surface, would almost have to be successful. A lay-up, if you will. I just think there was way more of it produced than let on and the quality just wasn't there to keep up with the price pump. It is fun and can be workshopped into a staple product though.
JayConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #25
roberth404

Quote:
Originally Posted by progfan86 View Post
Select went up in price from 130 to 200 a box pretty quick. Sold out quickly.
Wow, had no idea. Apparently I'm out of the loop. Strange I saw no discussion about it on these boards post release.