Blowout Cards Forums
Hot List

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > FANTASY SPORTS TALK > FANTASY BASEBALL

Notices

FANTASY BASEBALL Post your BASEBALL fantasy talk here... daily fantasy and leagues.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:16 AM   #51
HOFAutoRookies

I will say head to head takes a lot more time to strategically analyze your lineup. Roto/points may be the better option.
HOFAutoRookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #52
Hollywood42

It's in the OP, we're going to do points with weekly match ups. Just looking for some input as to a nice balanced scoring system
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #53
Bosox34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Alrighty, we have a full 12 teams! Time to get down to the details and finalize some stuff before we get rolling-

1. Agree on a scoring setting that is somewhat balanced between hitters and pitchers
2. Set an agreed upon max starts/week. I said 12/week in the OP, but now with 12 teams we could think about adjusting that down a bit
3. Finalize rosters/keepers (I think roster size 30, keep 20 is a good option, but open to hear other opinions. Also could consider adding a cost to each keeper rather than making them all cost the same, but the latter is much easier to deal with and is what I'd be in favor of as a large majority of the work to keep track of keeper costs would fall back on me)
4. Figure out how to handle players that are added to the player pool mid-season. Should they be eligible to be added by whoever picks them up first, or should they be ineligible to be added until the next draft?
5. Finalize payout breakdown (If we don't end up with 10 teams. Just need to get this set before I start asking for people to send in their payments for year 1)

I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's what comes to mind to start. Want to get all this figured out before we start sending in our year 1 payments to LeagueSafe and get a draft order set and begin trading picks
1) I think H2H and points is pretty solid as it makes it much more competitive each week. It might take a little more time for each owner but I think it's definitely worth the time. As for the balance, I think 3 for QS, 5 for Win, -3 for Loss, 3 for IP, and -1 for hit/walk, -2 for run scored would be solid. I think the reason there's an inequality between hitters and pitchers is that too many points are given for Win/QS.

2) I think 12 starts a week is very fair. I play in a 10 team dynasty league and we used 12 starts and it worked out very nicely. One thing that did come up was that people would try and use RPs in the SP slot if the RP also had SP eligibility and that screwed up the scoring so I think we should prevent that from happening as it prevents the point of the RP slots.

3) I think 30 roster size and 20 keepers is great. I think keeping the keeper cost in mind would be too much of a hassle so not really sure that it is needed.

4) I think they should be added by whoever adds them first as it makes them useful in that season but waiting for next draft won't hurt either as much of these players that are added are minor leaguers.

5) I think payment setup is fine.

Not really sure if it's needed but I think a 1B/3B and a 2B/SS spot gives more values to those positions as a whole due to the position scarcity so I wouldn't mind adding those to the roster but I'm not really sure how that tampers with the roster already set.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #54
Bosox34

Another possibility for #4 is we can do a minor league draft such as the Redrafters League that you set up but not sure how successful that would be
Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #55
HOFAutoRookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox34 View Post
Another possibility for #4 is we can do a minor league draft such as the Redrafters League that you set up but not sure how successful that would be

To go along the lines of this, I'm in a dynasty league and we have a separate draft for the minor league and international player pool. We also keep track of a 10-man minor league farm system that has rookie eligibility requirements on a spreadsheet. This helps allow to call guys up from your "farm" and add/remove players also.
HOFAutoRookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #56
Hollywood42

My other league we have a minor league team as well, but it doesn't solve any issues with players being added to the pool midseason. Not sure how I'm feeling about minor league teams for this league. They're kinda fun, but a lot of the work required to maintain them falls back on me and I don't know if I want to deal with all that
Old 12-18-2016, 04:34 AM   #57
todderfield

Quote:
Alrighty, we have a full 12 teams! Time to get down to the details and finalize some stuff before we get rolling-

1. Agree on a scoring setting that is somewhat balanced between hitters and pitchers
2. Set an agreed upon max starts/week. I said 12/week in the OP, but now with 12 teams we could think about adjusting that down a bit
3. Finalize rosters/keepers (I think roster size 30, keep 20 is a good option, but open to hear other opinions. Also could consider adding a cost to each keeper rather than making them all cost the same, but the latter is much easier to deal with and is what I'd be in favor of as a large majority of the work to keep track of keeper costs would fall back on me)
4. Figure out how to handle players that are added to the player pool mid-season. Should they be eligible to be added by whoever picks them up first, or should they be ineligible to be added until the next draft?
5. Finalize payout breakdown (If we don't end up with 10 teams. Just need to get this set before I start asking for people to send in their payments for year 1)

I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's what comes to mind to start. Want to get all this figured out before we start sending in our year 1 payments to LeagueSafe and get a draft order set and begin trading picks
1) I can share another league I'm in scoring that can give you my idea of how scoring should be, it has worked out fine. I'll do that once I'm on my laptop.

2)12 starts is a good standard to set.
3) 30 man roster is good, 20 is great as well.
4) no pickups after draft, I don't like the whole first come first serve thing with the hot prospect. I feel that's part of drafting your team, studying who is coming up, along with balancing who is established.
5) payouts, I like the suggestion made with it.
todderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #58
Hollywood42

It looks like most people are in agreement on:

-12 starts per week
-30 man roster, max of 20 keepers each year
-Payouts

We'll finalize those 3 things, but keep discussing:

-Scoring setting (I made a program where I can enter in different scoring settings and it'll spit out the point totals for each player based on those settings, so we can use that to play around with)
-Minor league rosters?
-If someone added to the player pool mid-season is eligible to be added or not

As for the last bullet point, I think I'm leaning towards not allowing someone added to the player pool mid-season to be drafted. The majority of guys that get added in the middle of the year are guys that are drafted, and it makes sense that those guys shouldn't be eligible to be picked up. The only issue I have is that there will sometimes be players that nobody thinks to look at before the draft, then they get added in the middle of the year, and someone picks them up because they didn't know they weren't supposed to. There's no easy way to police that at all, so it that since if might be easier to say something like guys taken in MLB's draft cannot be added if they were added to the player pool midseason, but other guys are
Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #59
Dbacksbaseball

Quote:
As for the last bullet point, I think I'm leaning towards not allowing someone added to the player pool mid-season to be drafted. The majority of guys that get added in the middle of the year are guys that are drafted, and it makes sense that those guys shouldn't be eligible to be picked up. The only issue I have is that there will sometimes be players that nobody thinks to look at before the draft, then they get added in the middle of the year, and someone picks them up because they didn't know they weren't supposed to. There's no easy way to police that at all, so it that since if might be easier to say something like guys taken in MLB's draft cannot be added if they were added to the player pool midseason, but other guys are
Just my opinion. This shouldn't be done. Waiver priority should be a strategy and leagues are won and lost on the wire. Example: No one drafts Zach Collins this year as he's not in the player pool, but all year I have been spamming the wire and hanging around that #10-12 waiver priority. You have been patient and not spam claimed and you find out Collins (Who gets Schwarber comps) is going to start from August on for the Sox. You claim him and get him with the #1 claim and he goes on to hit .280 12 HR's and 30 RBI through the rest of the season filling in as a nice starting catcher and a building block for your teams future.

If you are doing a true dynasty, my suggestion is to have a minor league portion of the draft and allow 5 minor league keepers each year.

If you are looking to add value to each years draft knock the keepers from 20 to 15.

Just my opinion, I am in for whatever the group wants though.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #60
bshea

Quote:
It looks like most people are in agreement on:

-12 starts per week
-30 man roster, max of 20 keepers each year
-Payouts

We'll finalize those 3 things, but keep discussing:

-Scoring setting (I made a program where I can enter in different scoring settings and it'll spit out the point totals for each player based on those settings, so we can use that to play around with)
-Minor league rosters?
-If someone added to the player pool mid-season is eligible to be added or not

I'm also in agreement of the twelve start rule, roster size and payouts. All three of those seem pretty standard for the leagues I've been apart of/followed. As for points, I was in a league last year that definitely favored pitchers. I believe that is how most standard ESPN scoring leagues are, but am not 100% sure. The program you have might be the best bet to determine a happy medium for pitchers/batters. Minor league rosters would be pretty neat, but I'm not going to lose sleep if we don't have them. Possibly something we can do on the boards here as a supplement to our ESPN rosters? Someone noted by in an earlier post was the idea of a waiver budget, meaning you get x dollars for the year and spend y dollars per transaction. That could be something useful if we did decide to have players added midseason to be available for pickup. I imagine most players would be added in the late summer, so teams would not have much to spend on a transaction. Just food for thought on that. Baseball just can't come soon enough. I can't wait for this.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #61
Hollywood42

Here's how things break down under the following scoring setting. This is just my first shot at this, so no idea how it'll work out, but here goes

Hitters
Each total base = 1 (single = 1 point, double = 2, etc)
Run scored = 1
RBI = 1
BB = 1
K = -1
SB = 1
CS = -1
Cycle = 5

I feel like that's a pretty standard scoring setting for hitters, so maybe we'll work on playing around with the pitching settings to try to get it to match. Anyways, here's the top 50 bats under the above settings:

Mookie Betts, Bos OF: 585.0
Nolan Arenado, Col 3B: 565.0
Jose Altuve, Hou 2B, DH: 554.0
David Ortiz, Bos DH: 535.0
Josh Donaldson, Tor 3B, DH: 534.0
Mike Trout, LAA OF, DH: 527.0
Robinson Cano, Sea 2B: 505.0
Joey Votto, Cin 1B: 499.0
Edwin Encarnacion, Tor 1B, DH: 495.0
Miguel Cabrera, Det 1B: 494.0
Daniel Murphy, Wsh 2B, 1B, 3B: 488.0
Anthony Rizzo, ChC 1B: 484.0
Kris Bryant, ChC 3B, OF: 481.0
Adrian Beltre, Tex 3B, DH: 479.0
Brian Dozier, Min 2B: 478.0
Paul Goldschmidt, Ari 1B: 471.0
Carlos Santana, Cle 1B, DH: 469.0
Manny Machado, Bal 3B, SS: 467.0
Charlie Blackmon, Col OF: 461.0
Freddie Freeman, Atl 1B: 456.0
Dustin Pedroia, Bos 2B: 454.0
Kyle Seager, Sea 3B: 449.0
Jean Segura, Ari SS, 2B: 445.0
Xander Bogaerts, Bos SS: 439.0
Albert Pujols, LAA 1B, DH: 439.0
Ian Kinsler, Det 2B: 437.0
Nelson Cruz, Sea OF, DH: 433.0
DJ LeMahieu, Col 2B: 433.0
Francisco Lindor, Cle SS: 423.0
Corey Seager, LAD SS: 419.0
Ben Zobrist, ChC 2B, OF: 419.0
Jose Ramirez, Cle SS, 2B, 3B, OF: 418.0
Hanley Ramirez, Bos OF, 1B, DH: 415.0
Mark Trumbo, Bal OF, 1B, DH: 412.0
Melky Cabrera, CWS OF: 405.0
Ryan Braun, Mil OF: 405.0
Evan Longoria, TB 3B: 404.0
George Springer, Hou OF, DH: 401.0
Carlos Gonzalez, Col OF: 399.0
Wil Myers, SD OF, 1B: 399.0
Buster Posey, SF C, 1B: 397.0
Bryce Harper, Wsh OF: 395.0
Christian Yelich, Mia OF: 394.0
Matt Kemp, Atl OF: 389.0
Justin Turner, LAD 3B: 387.0
Jason Kipnis, Cle 2B: 385.0
Anthony Rendon, Wsh 2B, 3B: 385.0
Carlos Beltran, Tex OF, DH: 384.0
Jackie Bradley Jr., Bos OF: 379.0
Jose Abreu, CWS 1B, DH: 379.0

Pitching
IP = 3 (1 point per out)
H = -1
ER = -2
BB = -1
K = 1
W = 5
L = -5
SV = 5
BS = -3
Complete game = 3
Shutout = 5
No hitter = 20
Perfect game = 40

No idea how this will shake out yet, but that seems to make sense logically. Here's the top 50 pitchers under that setting:

Max Scherzer, Wsh SP: 666.0
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP: 608.0
Justin Verlander, Det SP: 596.0
Rick Porcello, Bos SP: 576.0
Johnny Cueto, SF SP: 571.0
Chris Sale, CWS SP: 568.0
Jon Lester, ChC SP: 565.0
Corey Kluber, Cle SP: 559.0
Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP: 519.0
Kyle Hendricks, ChC SP: 515.0
Jake Arrieta, ChC SP: 510.0
David Price, Bos SP: 483.0
Noah Syndergaard, NYM SP: 477.0
Masahiro Tanaka, NYY SP: 463.0
J.A. Happ, Tor SP: 462.0
Kenley Jansen, LAD RP: 456.0
Tanner Roark, Wsh RP, SP: 454.0
Zach Britton, Bal RP: 451.0
Aaron Sanchez, Tor RP, SP: 450.0
Cole Hamels, Tex SP: 442.0
Danny Duffy, KC SP, RP: 430.0
Carlos Martinez, StL SP: 424.0
John Lackey, ChC SP: 421.0
Jose Quintana, CWS SP: 420.0
Jeurys Familia, NYM RP: 412.0
Mark Melancon, Wsh RP: 412.0
Stephen Strasburg, Wsh SP: 400.0
Kenta Maeda, LAD SP: 395.0
Julio Teheran, Atl SP: 392.0
Aroldis Chapman, ChC RP: 380.0
Dan Straily, Cin SP: 379.0
Ian Kennedy, KC SP: 372.0
Jake Odorizzi, TB SP: 371.0
Andrew Miller, Cle RP: 370.0
Jeff Samardzija, SF SP: 369.0
Drew Pomeranz, Bos RP, SP: 365.0
Jeremy Hellickson, Phi SP: 365.0
Bartolo Colon, NYM SP: 360.0
Marco Estrada, Tor SP: 360.0
Roberto Osuna, Tor RP: 358.0
Chris Archer, TB SP: 357.0
Jerad Eickhoff, Phi SP: 355.0
Michael Fulmer, Det SP: 351.0
Matt Moore, SF SP: 342.0
Chris Tillman, Bal SP: 341.0
Steven Wright, Bos SP: 338.0
Carlos Carrasco, Cle SP: 336.0
Rich Hill, LAD SP: 333.0
Trevor Bauer, Cle SP, RP: 332.0
Seung Hwan Oh, StL RP: 331.0

I dunno, that seems ok. The top 5 or so pitchers scored a significant amount more than the top batters, but pitching drops off much more quickly as well (which makes sense). The only thing I worry about in this setting is keeping value in depth pitchers. It's how it works in real life, pitching drops off very quickly, but with 12 starts per week in a 12 team league, it's going to be rough for a lot of teams if the 50th-100th ranked pitchers aren't hardly worth keeping

So, thoughts on that? The top pitchers are significantly more valuable than the top hitters, but the 50th overall hitter scored as much as the 30th overall pitcher. I'd like to keep things reasonably balanced between hitting and pitching, but it's also hard to do so given that there's just much more depth on the hitting side compared to the pitching side, which drops off much more quickly as well. This is just something I threw out there based on what makes sense to me, so I'm definitely open to exploring other things. Let's get that conversation going and hopefully all agree on a scoring setting by the end of the day
Old 12-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #62
Bosox34

Quote:
Here's how things break down under the following scoring setting. This is just my first shot at this, so no idea how it'll work out, but here goes

Hitters
Each total base = 1 (single = 1 point, double = 2, etc)
Run scored = 1
RBI = 1
BB = 1
K = -1
SB = 1
CS = -1
Cycle = 5

I feel like that's a pretty standard scoring setting for hitters, so maybe we'll work on playing around with the pitching settings to try to get it to match. Anyways, here's the top 50 bats under the above settings:

Pitching
IP = 3 (1 point per out)
H = -1
ER = -2
BB = -1
K = 1
W = 5
L = -5
SV = 5
BS = -3
Complete game = 3
Shutout = 5
No hitter = 20
Perfect game = 40

No idea how this will shake out yet, but that seems to make sense logically. Here's the top 50 pitchers under that setting:

Max Scherzer, Wsh SP: 666.0
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP: 608.0
Justin Verlander, Det SP: 596.0
Rick Porcello, Bos SP: 576.0
Johnny Cueto, SF SP: 571.0
Chris Sale, CWS SP: 568.0
Jon Lester, ChC SP: 565.0
Corey Kluber, Cle SP: 559.0
Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP: 519.0
Kyle Hendricks, ChC SP: 515.0
Jake Arrieta, ChC SP: 510.0
David Price, Bos SP: 483.0
Noah Syndergaard, NYM SP: 477.0
Masahiro Tanaka, NYY SP: 463.0
J.A. Happ, Tor SP: 462.0
Tanner Roark, Wsh RP, SP: 454.0
Aaron Sanchez, Tor RP, SP: 450.0
Cole Hamels, Tex SP: 442.0
Danny Duffy, KC SP, RP: 430.0
Carlos Martinez, StL SP: 424.0
John Lackey, ChC SP: 421.0
Jose Quintana, CWS SP: 420.0
Kenta Maeda, LAD SP: 395.0
Julio Teheran, Atl SP: 392.0
Dan Straily, Cin SP: 379.0
Ian Kennedy, KC SP: 372.0
Jake Odorizzi, TB SP: 371.0
Jeff Samardzija, SF SP: 369.0
Drew Pomeranz, Bos RP, SP: 365.0
Jeremy Hellickson, Phi SP: 365.0
Bartolo Colon, NYM SP: 360.0
Marco Estrada, Tor SP: 360.0
Roberto Osuna, Tor RP: 358.0
Chris Archer, TB SP: 357.0
Jerad Eickhoff, Phi SP: 355.0
Michael Fulmer, Det SP: 351.0
Matt Moore, SF SP: 342.0
Chris Tillman, Bal SP: 341.0
Steven Wright, Bos SP: 338.0
Carlos Carrasco, Cle SP: 336.0
Rich Hill, LAD SP: 333.0
Trevor Bauer, Cle SP, RP: 332.0
Seung Hwan Oh, StL RP: 331.0

I dunno, that seems ok. The top 5 or so pitchers scored a significant amount more than the top batters, but pitching drops off much more quickly as well (which makes sense). The only thing I worry about in this setting is keeping value in depth pitchers. It's how it works in real life, pitching drops off very quickly, but with 12 starts per week in a 12 team league, it's going to be rough for a lot of teams if the 50th-100th ranked pitchers aren't hardly worth keeping

So, thoughts on that? The top pitchers are significantly more valuable than the top hitters, but the 50th overall hitter scored as much as the 30th overall pitcher. I'd like to keep things reasonably balanced between hitting and pitching, but it's also hard to do so given that there's just much more depth on the hitting side compared to the pitching side, which drops off much more quickly as well. This is just something I threw out there based on what makes sense to me, so I'm definitely open to exploring other things. Let's get that conversation going and hopefully all agree on a scoring setting by the end of the day

I'm just curious but what happens when you do -0.5 instead of -1 for strikeouts for hitters? Does that make it slightly more balanced? And is there a way we can add quality starts as a stat for pitchers as it gives some values to guys like Jose Quintana or Felix Hernandez or Sonny Gray or even Chris Archer that pitch on clubs that don't win a lot.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #63
Hollywood42

Will test out the -.5 for strikeouts in a bit (headed out for a few hours soon). I certainly can test out a few points for quality starts, but the issue I have found with counting points for QS is that it will add a lot of points for the top tier of pitchers as well and make them very valuable. Most all of a SPs wins will also be quality starts, so now you go from just giving them 5 points for a win, to giving them 5 points for a win plus a few more for a QS. Though I certainly understand wanting a bonus for pitchers that pitched a good game but didn't get a win due to lack of run support or other factors

Along those lines, we could also consider removing points for wins all together and replace wins with QS. Not sure the effect that would have but I can test it out later

Quote:
I'm just curious but what happens when you do -0.5 instead of -1 for strikeouts for hitters? Does that make it slightly more balanced? And is there a way we can add quality starts as a stat for pitchers as it gives some values to guys like Jose Quintana or Felix Hernandez or Sonny Gray or even Chris Archer that pitch on clubs that don't win a lot.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #64
Hollywood42

Same hitting settings as above except -0.5 for a strikeout instead of -1:

Mookie Betts, Bos OF: 625.0
Nolan Arenado, Col 3B: 616.5
Mike Trout, LAA OF, DH: 595.5
Josh Donaldson, Tor 3B, DH: 593.5
Jose Altuve, Hou 2B, DH: 589.0
David Ortiz, Bos DH: 578.0
Edwin Encarnacion, Tor 1B, DH: 564.0
Joey Votto, Cin 1B: 559.0
Kris Bryant, ChC 3B, OF: 558.0
Robinson Cano, Sea 2B: 555.0
Miguel Cabrera, Det 1B: 552.0
Brian Dozier, Min 2B: 547.0
Paul Goldschmidt, Ari 1B: 546.0
Freddie Freeman, Atl 1B: 541.5
Anthony Rizzo, ChC 1B: 538.0
Manny Machado, Bal 3B, SS: 527.0
Carlos Santana, Cle 1B, DH: 518.5
Daniel Murphy, Wsh 2B, 1B, 3B: 516.5
Nelson Cruz, Sea OF, DH: 512.5
Adrian Beltre, Tex 3B, DH: 512.0
Charlie Blackmon, Col OF: 512.0
Kyle Seager, Sea 3B: 503.0
Xander Bogaerts, Bos SS: 500.5
Mark Trumbo, Bal OF, 1B, DH: 497.0
Jean Segura, Ari SS, 2B: 495.5
Ian Kinsler, Det 2B: 494.5
Dustin Pedroia, Bos 2B: 490.5
George Springer, Hou OF, DH: 490.0
Corey Seager, LAD SS: 485.5
Wil Myers, SD OF, 1B: 479.0
Albert Pujols, LAA 1B, DH: 476.5
Evan Longoria, TB 3B: 476.0
Hanley Ramirez, Bos OF, 1B, DH: 475.0
DJ LeMahieu, Col 2B: 473.0
Francisco Lindor, Cle SS: 467.0
Matt Kemp, Atl OF: 467.0
Carlos Gonzalez, Col OF: 463.5
Christian Yelich, Mia OF: 463.0
Jonathan Villar, Mil SS, 2B, 3B: 460.0
Ben Zobrist, ChC 2B, OF: 460.0
Jason Kipnis, Cle 2B: 458.0
Ryan Braun, Mil OF: 454.0
Todd Frazier, CWS 3B: 453.5
Bryce Harper, Wsh OF: 453.5
Ian Desmond, Tex SS, OF: 451.0
Jackie Bradley Jr., Bos OF: 450.5
Jose Ramirez, Cle SS, 2B, 3B, OF: 449.0
Carlos Correa, Hou SS: 447.5
Anthony Rendon, Wsh 2B, 3B: 443.5
Brandon Belt, SF 1B: 442.0

Makes hitters too valuable, IMO. Strikeouts are the only way (other than CS, which won't apply to all players) that hitters can get negative points. This isn't too bad for the top end guys, but the middle tier bats are going to be valued way too highly in my opinion with only -.5 per K

Same pitching as above except with an additional 2 points per quality start:

Max Scherzer, Wsh SP: 718.0
Madison Bumgarner, SF SP: 658.0
Justin Verlander, Det SP: 650.0
Rick Porcello, Bos SP: 628.0
Jon Lester, ChC SP: 617.0
Johnny Cueto, SF SP: 615.0
Chris Sale, CWS SP: 614.0
Corey Kluber, Cle SP: 603.0
Kyle Hendricks, ChC SP: 555.0
Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP: 553.0
Jake Arrieta, ChC SP: 544.0
David Price, Bos SP: 527.0
Noah Syndergaard, NYM SP: 517.0
J.A. Happ, Tor SP: 504.0
Masahiro Tanaka, NYY SP: 501.0
Tanner Roark, Wsh RP, SP: 498.0
Aaron Sanchez, Tor RP, SP: 496.0
Cole Hamels, Tex SP: 486.0
Jose Quintana, CWS SP: 466.0
Carlos Martinez, StL SP: 464.0
Danny Duffy, KC SP, RP: 462.0
John Lackey, ChC SP: 461.0
Stephen Strasburg, Wsh SP: 430.0
Julio Teheran, Atl SP: 424.0
Kenta Maeda, LAD SP: 423.0
Dan Straily, Cin SP: 419.0
Jake Odorizzi, TB SP: 405.0
Jeff Samardzija, SF SP: 403.0
Ian Kennedy, KC SP: 402.0
Jeremy Hellickson, Phi SP: 399.0
Bartolo Colon, NYM SP: 398.0
Drew Pomeranz, Bos RP, SP: 397.0
Marco Estrada, Tor SP: 396.0
Chris Archer, TB SP: 395.0
Jerad Eickhoff, Phi SP: 395.0
Michael Fulmer, Det SP: 381.0
Matt Moore, SF SP: 378.0
Chris Tillman, Bal SP: 373.0
Steven Wright, Bos SP: 368.0
Trevor Bauer, Cle SP, RP: 364.0
Carlos Carrasco, Cle SP: 364.0
Ervin Santana, Min SP: 361.0
Kevin Gausman, Bal SP, RP: 360.0
Rich Hill, LAD SP: 359.0

That makes the top 10 or so pitchers extremely valuable (too much, IMO), but then makes guys in the 25-50 range right where they should be, in my opinion. We can't have it both ways, so we'll probably have to decide if we want to deal with 10 or so pitchers that are going to be overly valuable with depth guys having good value, or top 20 or so pitchers where they should be but then a strong dropoff and depth guys not adding a whole lot of quality
Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #65
Hollywood42

And just for kicks, here's the top 50 pitchers under the following settings (same as above except no points for wins and instead +5 for a quality start)-

IP = 3
H = -1
ER = -2
BB = -1
K = 1
Quality start = 5
Complete game = 3
Shutout = 5
No hitter = 20
Perfect game = 40
W = 0
L = -5
SV = 5
BS = -3

Max Scherzer, Wsh SP: 696.0
Justin Verlander, Det SP: 651.0
Jon Lester, ChC SP: 600.0
Chris Sale, CWS SP: 598.0
Rick Porcello, Bos SP: 596.0
Johnny Cueto, SF SP: 591.0
Corey Kluber, Cle SP: 579.0
Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP: 544.0
Kyle Hendricks, ChC SP: 535.0
David Price, Bos SP: 508.0
Noah Syndergaard, NYM SP: 507.0
Jake Arrieta, ChC SP: 505.0
Aaron Sanchez, Tor RP, SP: 490.0
Masahiro Tanaka, NYY SP: 488.0
Tanner Roark, Wsh RP, SP: 484.0
Cole Hamels, Tex SP: 477.0
Jose Quintana, CWS SP: 470.0
J.A. Happ, Tor SP: 467.0
John Lackey, ChC SP: 466.0
Danny Duffy, KC SP, RP: 450.0
Carlos Martinez, StL SP: 444.0
Kenley Jansen, LAD RP: 441.0
Zach Britton, Bal RP: 441.0
Julio Teheran, Atl SP: 437.0
Dan Straily, Cin SP: 409.0
Chris Archer, TB SP: 407.0
Jake Odorizzi, TB SP: 406.0
Marco Estrada, Tor SP: 405.0
Mark Melancon, Wsh RP: 402.0
Jerad Eickhoff, Phi SP: 400.0
Jeurys Familia, NYM RP: 397.0
Jeff Samardzija, SF SP: 394.0
Ian Kennedy, KC SP: 392.0
Drew Pomeranz, Bos RP, SP: 390.0
Jeremy Hellickson, Phi SP: 390.0
Kenta Maeda, LAD SP: 385.0
Bartolo Colon, NYM SP: 380.0
Ervin Santana, Min SP: 377.0
Michael Fulmer, Det SP: 371.0
Kevin Gausman, Bal SP, RP: 369.0
Matt Moore, SF SP: 367.0
Aroldis Chapman, ChC RP: 360.0
Jacob deGrom, NYM SP: 357.0
Marcus Stroman, Tor SP: 357.0
Trevor Bauer, Cle SP, RP: 352.0
Carlos Carrasco, Cle SP: 351.0
Steven Wright, Bos SP: 348.0
Jon Gray, Col SP: 343.0

Overall not a huge difference, but could help in those cases where a pitcher throws a great game and only gives up 1 or 2 runs, but their team doesn't score any for them
Old 12-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #66
todderfield

Batting
Singles (1B) 5 Doubles (2B) 7
Triples (3B) 10 Home Runs (HR) 15
Walks (BB) 3 Runs Scored (R) 5
Runs Batted In (RBI) 5 Stolen Bases (SB) 10
Strikeouts (K) -1 Intentional Walks (IBB) 3
Hit by Pitch (HBP) 3 Sacrifices (SAC) 3
Caught Stealing (CS) -5 Ground into Double Plays (GIDP) -5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 20 Grand Slam Home Runs (GSHR) 15
Outfield Assists (OFAST) 3 Errors (E) -3

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP) 9.99 Earned Runs (ER) -5
Wins (W) 15 Losses (L) -15
Saves (SV) 20 Blown Saves (BS) -15
Strikeouts (K) 3 Hits Allowed (H) -1
Walks Issued (BB) -3 Shutouts (SO) 30
Hit Batsmen (HB) -3 Home Runs Allowed (HR) -3
Balks (B) -3 Holds (HD) 10
Complete Games (CG) 30 Quality Starts (QS) 15
No Hitters (NH) 100 Perfect Games (PG) 200

here is the scoring for another league im in... its been running strong for years. Here is top 10 hitters and pitchers

1) Mookie Betts 2995
2) Mike Trout 2903
3) Jose Altuve 2797
4) Nolan Arrenado 2722
5) Goldschmidt 2669
6) Bryant 2644
7) Donaldson 2625
8) Dozier 2549
9) Votto 2522
10) c Blackmon 2517

Pitchers:
1) scherzer 2926.1
2) bumgarner 2842.4
3) cueto 2781.5
4) verlander 2765.4
5) porcello 2757.8
6) sale 2746.4
7) kluber 2637.9
8) lester 2609.6
9) price 2493.7
10) Hendricks 2350.1
Old 12-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #67
Hollywood42

That breaks down alright over the top 10 hitters/pitchers (though I would be interested in seeing a wider range to see what it actually looks like), but the system is super complicated. I like something much more simple as when it's going down to the wire, it's much easier to tell what you need your remaining players to do
Old 12-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #68
enbambam6986

^^^

Neat scoring!
enbambam6986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #69
todderfield

Quote:
That breaks down alright over the top 10 hitters/pitchers (though I would be interested in seeing a wider range to see what it actually looks like), but the system is super complicated. I like something much more simple as when it's going down to the wire, it's much easier to tell what you need your remaining players to do
let me know if this works, or if you get "you're not a member of this league" prompt

Free Agents - Free Fantasy Baseball - ESPN
Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #70
Cornerstore

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

Personally, like the quality start over wins - because wins I dont think fairly represent what the starting pitcher does in many situations. Do like the minor league roster with a limit before you have to add them to major league roster or drop. You can have additional minor league players on the main roster but not vice versa. Outside of that those are my only real preferences/feedback.

Follow me on IG Chris_Cards_And_More
Cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #71
bshea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstore View Post
Personally, like the quality start over wins - because wins I dont think fairly represent what the starting pitcher does in many situations. Do like the minor league roster with a limit before you have to add them to major league roster or drop. You can have additional minor league players on the main roster but not vice versa. Outside of that those are my only real preferences/feedback.
Brian Kenny would love your view on starting pitching.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #72
Hollywood42

Here's what I'm thinking for our scoring settings:

Pitching
IP = 3 (1 point per out recorded)
H = -1
ER = -2
BB = -1
K = 1
CG = 3
Shutout = 5
No hitter = 20
Perfect game = 40
W = 0
Quality Start = 5
L = -5
SV = 5
BS = -3

Max Scherzer, Wsh SP: 696.0
Justin Verlander, Det SP: 651.0
Jon Lester, ChC SP: 600.0
Chris Sale, CWS SP: 598.0
Rick Porcello, Bos SP: 596.0
Johnny Cueto, SF SP: 591.0
Corey Kluber, Cle SP: 579.0
Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP: 544.0
Kyle Hendricks, ChC SP: 535.0
David Price, Bos SP: 508.0
Noah Syndergaard, NYM SP: 507.0
Jake Arrieta, ChC SP: 505.0
Aaron Sanchez, Tor RP, SP: 490.0
Masahiro Tanaka, NYY SP: 488.0
Tanner Roark, Wsh RP, SP: 484.0
Cole Hamels, Tex SP: 477.0
Jose Quintana, CWS SP: 470.0
J.A. Happ, Tor SP: 467.0
John Lackey, ChC SP: 466.0
Danny Duffy, KC SP, RP: 450.0
Carlos Martinez, StL SP: 444.0
Zach Britton, Bal RP: 441.0
Kenley Jansen, LAD RP: 441.0
Julio Teheran, Atl SP: 437.0
Dan Straily, Cin SP: 409.0
Chris Archer, TB SP: 407.0
Jake Odorizzi, TB SP: 406.0
Marco Estrada, Tor SP: 405.0
Mark Melancon, Wsh RP: 402.0
Jerad Eickhoff, Phi SP: 400.0
Jeurys Familia, NYM RP: 397.0
Jeff Samardzija, SF SP: 394.0
Ian Kennedy, KC SP: 392.0
Drew Pomeranz, Bos RP, SP: 390.0
Jeremy Hellickson, Phi SP: 390.0
Kenta Maeda, LAD SP: 385.0
Bartolo Colon, NYM SP: 380.0
Ervin Santana, Min SP: 377.0
Michael Fulmer, Det SP: 371.0
Kevin Gausman, Bal SP, RP: 369.0
Matt Moore, SF SP: 367.0
Aroldis Chapman, ChC RP: 360.0
Jacob deGrom, NYM SP: 357.0
Marcus Stroman, Tor SP: 357.0
Trevor Bauer, Cle SP, RP: 352.0
Carlos Carrasco, Cle SP: 351.0
Steven Wright, Bos SP: 348.0
Jon Gray, Col SP: 343.0

Pitcher settings are pretty difficult to manipulate without making the top end ultra strong of depth arms mediocre, so figured I'd just do what makes sense logically and then try to make a hitting system that fits well with it. Here's what I came up with-

Hitting
R = 1
TB = 1
RBI = 1
BB = 1
K = -1
SB = 1
CS = -1
CYC = 5

I dunno, that might be the best we'll be able to do. Just by the nature of how many good hitters there are to good pitchers, they're not going to mix in evenly. Under this setting, the top 5-10 pitchers are more valuable than the top hitter, but there is much more depth in the hitting department than pitching. Unless anyone has any other ideas, what do you think of that? I'm not ecstatic, but have been messing around with this a lot and can't find something that works perfectly
Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #73
todderfield

That works for me. I'm against the minor league roster thing. I think a roster of 30 and keepers of 20 is sufficient enough to build a team without having to keep track of who can be called up and when they lose minor eligibility. Just my two cents.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #74
Bosox34

How does not getting points for a win affect relief pitchers that win the game late? Because they are unable to get points for QS, that's my biggest worry with it
Old 12-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #75
Hollywood42

That is a good point. That said, most of the relievers that would be in win situations won't be owned as they aren't closers. Though there are a few times closers end up with wins despite blowing a save

Quote:
How does not getting points for a win affect relief pitchers that win the game late? Because they are unable to get points for QS, that's my biggest worry with it