incentives bonus

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #51
tjforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
You misunderstand my point. What I'm saying is, it's not like you can just run out and get FOTL at any point in time for $85. Obviously the market shifts good or bad. So is it really accurate to say you should spend $X on regular when you could have potentially bought if you were lucky FOTL at $85 but can't anymore?
No I'm agreeing with you.

Just like you can't get exquisite for 500 a box you can't get Optic FOTL for 85 so the previous price should play into what you'll pay for it's now.

We're on the same page
"That's real, yo. I ain't exaggeratin' at all, man. The Mo' Money you make the Mo' Problems you get. And jealousy and envy is, is something that comes with the territory man. It's just negative energy like my man Puff say."
tjforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #52
HadWayTooMuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjforce View Post
No I'm agreeing with you.

Just like you can't get exquisite for 500 a box you can't get Optic FOTL for 85 so the previous price should play into what you'll pay for it's now.

We're on the same page
Gotcha. Again, new to basketball so unlike baseball, I'm just some clueless dude with some cases sitting around and trying to figure out the old hold/sell situation.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #53
COMCMax

Thoughts. Vinyl is a horrible name for a insert lol

Jayson Tatum 2017-18 Optic Prizm Rookies Rookie Gold Vinyl Superfractor 1/1
COMCMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #54
GrangerCollectr

I pulled a magical Clint Capela Gold Vinyl Auto and they look pretty amazing in person. Scans don't do the cards justice......pictures are a must to show how nice they look. If I was the owner of that Tatum wanting that much money I would definitely try to get better pics with better lighting.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #55
COMCMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerCollectr View Post
I pulled a magical Clint Capela Gold Vinyl Auto and they look pretty amazing in person. Scans don't do the cards justice......pictures are a must to show how nice they look. If I was the owner of that Tatum wanting that much money I would definitely try to get better pics with better lighting.

Wow, that's looks much nicer. Seems like a lot of Panini inserts don't scan well these days.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #56
Giantrobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMCMax View Post
Thoughts. Vinyl is a horrible name for a insert lol

Jayson Tatum 2017-18 Optic Prizm Rookies Rookie Gold Vinyl Superfractor 1/1
Vinyl=album, as in Gold Album. That's what the design looks like.

I don't think they mean vinyl seats lol.
Giantrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #57
COMCMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
Vinyl=album, as in Gold Album. That's what the design looks like.

I don't think they mean vinyl seats lol.
5 years of vinyls and I never put that together
Old 04-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #58
Giantrobot

Quote:
5 years of vinyls and I never put that together
It took me a while, too....don't worry...lol...

Made them far cooler after that, though!
Giantrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #59
COMCMax

I think the vinyl turned me off the year they numbered them to /5.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #60
Jasondr91

I cracked last night a sealed hanger box or those 3 pack cellos with the blue velocity cards. I can tell you base silvers or refractors are TOUGH from cellos. 12 packs, and I got x3, only one was a rated rookie.

The blue velocity parallels are fantastic looking. The pink /25 was ehh. I got only one auto, a redemption purple. So Panini is listening. Gone are jersey cards. Autographs are a tough hit at least in retail hangers.

I had perfect collation. There were ZERO dupes.
Stupid Upshaw: #10 76ers All Time Scoring Leader 1980-81
Jasondr91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #61
Oldschool42

Quote:
I think the vinyl turned me off the year they numbered them to /5.
Gold Vinyl were 1/1 last year. GV was hobby and Black 1/1 was retail. I have both the GV and Black 1/1 John Wall base cards (have the full rainbow).
Green was /5 just like this year. I love that they made a non 1/1 Black parallel.
Oldschool42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #62
COMCMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool42 View Post
Gold Vinyl were 1/1 last year. GV was hobby and Black 1/1 was retail. I have both the GV and Black 1/1 John Wall base cards (have the full rainbow).
Green was /5 just like this year. I love that they made a non 1/1 Black parallel.
Maybe it was football that numbered them to 5 one year.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #63
mcgahee21nfl

love this product. its extremely watered down so the breaks are rough.... but the cards are amazing.
mcgahee21nfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #64
GrangerCollectr

I'm a little surprised at what singles are selling for. Have been watching Donovan Mitchell stuff and thought for sure his Rated Rookie autos would be selling higher than what they are selling for. The blue /49 auto is getting right around $230-$240 (I thought these would be in the $350-$400 range) and base autos at about $145. With so many of us comparing Optic to Prizm I would say there is really no comparison at all as Prizm pricing is crushing Optic. Who knows.....maybe everyone is just saving their money for National Treasures and not buying Optic causing the low singles sales.

So, when looking at THE on-card rookie auto to have it seems that Optic autos are going to be less desirable than Contenders autos when it's all said and done.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #65
Jasondr91

Quote:
I'm a little surprised at what singles are selling for. Have been watching Donovan Mitchell stuff and thought for sure his Rated Rookie autos would be selling higher than what they are selling for. The blue /49 auto is getting right around $230-$240 (I thought these would be in the $350-$400 range) and base autos at about $145. With so many of us comparing Optic to Prizm I would say there is really no comparison at all as Prizm pricing is crushing Optic. Who knows.....maybe everyone is just saving their money for National Treasures and not buying Optic causing the low singles sales.

So, when looking at THE on-card rookie auto to have it seems that Optic autos are going to be less desirable than Contenders autos when it's all said and done.

It's selling *very well* at the retail level at least here in NC. I personally prefer these rated rookies over Prizm ALL DAY. But these might end up like Bowman Chrome (in relation to basketball). I HATE the parallels in Optic....but this is still a Panini product.
Stupid Upshaw: #10 76ers All Time Scoring Leader 1980-81
Jasondr91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #66
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasondr91 View Post
I cracked last night a sealed hanger box or those 3 pack cellos with the blue velocity cards. I can tell you base silvers or refractors are TOUGH from cellos. 12 packs, and I got x3, only one was a rated rookie.

The blue velocity parallels are fantastic looking. The pink /25 was ehh. I got only one auto, a redemption purple. So Panini is listening. Gone are jersey cards. Autographs are a tough hit at least in retail hangers.

I had perfect collation. There were ZERO dupes.
Thatís honestly not very tough to hit silver. You basically batted .750 for silver, and the checklist is 25% rookies. Thatís a pretty easy card to hit in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:

The on-card rookie auto to have will be the Next-Day Auto. It has a way bigger following than any other rookie auto, and itís not even close.

It goes:

-Next Day
-Contenders
-Optic

If you want to go with parallels over the base Next Day, thatís fine. But the most well collected rookie auto will be the Next Day Auto for the foreseeable future.
GeechQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #67
nfunk

Opened quite a bit and love it.
A lot of parallels so my take is just buy which one(s) you like.
Huge fan of the checkerboard, base holo's, gold, all stars, the rookies, rookie kings, court kings, and the best of the bunch which is the All Clear for Takeoff.
Not a fan of the rated rookies but other than that it's a winner in my book.
nfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #68
bustsomewax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
Thatís honestly not very tough to hit silver. You basically batted .750 for silver, and the checklist is 25% rookies. Thatís a pretty easy card to hit in the grand scheme of things.
Considering we were hitting 2-6 in a Prizm Cello, it's pretty hard.
bustsomewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #69
smalltown

Quote:
The on-card rookie auto to have will be the Next-Day Auto. It has a way bigger following than any other rookie auto, and itís not even close.

It goes:

-Next Day
-Contenders
-Optic

If you want to go with parallels over the base Next Day, thatís fine. But the most well collected rookie auto will be the Next Day Auto for the foreseeable future.
100% agree about the Next Day. But i'm not with you on Contenders - not sure they'll hold up overtime. The Optic Autos look so much better. The Select RC autos look better than Contenders as well, in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #70
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustsomewax View Post
Considering we were hitting 2-6 in a Prizm Cello, it's pretty hard.
No, itís not harder and nobody was hitting at those rates. Prizm Cellos didnít average one silver a pack, or 1 out of every 4 cards was a silver. Also, the Prizm checklist is 50% larger than the Optic checklist.

If you want to talk about hitting a Silver rookie, even if we use your Silver gut rate, itís still roughly the same chance of hitting a Silver Rookie. There were less rookies in Prizm, with a bigger checklist.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #71
GrangerCollectr

Forgot about the Next Day autos.....they are just so SSP.....what are they like 1 per case?

I guess I'm just surprised at some of the low singles sales on the parallels with Optic and they seem to be getting lower and lower with each passing day and more items getting listed. I know I know, this happens with every release but with they hype around Optic I thought some of the singles would be selling for a little bit more.

With that being said....if someone wants to sell me a Black Velocity Donovan Mitchell at a reasonable price send me a message
Old 04-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #72
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
100% agree about the Next Day. But i'm not with you on Contenders - not sure they'll hold up overtime. The Optic Autos look so much better. The Select RC autos look better than Contenders as well, in my opinion.
I actually deleted what I originally typed.

I said the Contenders Auto could be viewed as purchasing bitcoin, while the Next Day Auto is like buying stock in Apple, Amazon, or Google.

I think Optic is what it is, a nice chrome product for a nice price. Nothing earth shattering, but not awful either.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #73
GeechQuest

Quote:
Forgot about the Next Day autos.....they are just so SSP.....what are they like 1 per case?

I guess I'm just surprised at some of the low singles sales on the parallels with Optic and they seem to be getting lower and lower with each passing day and more items getting listed. I know I know, this happens with every release but with they hype around Optic I thought some of the singles would be selling for a little bit more.

With that being said....if someone wants to sell me a Black Velocity Donovan Mitchell at a reasonable price send me a message
This year you could get 2-4 Next Day autos per case.

There really wasnít much hype around Optic though. More so than Status? Sure. Iíd put the hype right around what Court Kings was. Optic will remain a lower tier chrome product for the foreseeable future, and anyone pushing it as something more either has a secondary agenda or just doesnít understand what the product is.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #74
GrangerCollectr

Quote:
This year you could get 2-4 Next Day autos per case.

There really wasnít much hype around Optic though. More so than Status? Sure. Iíd put the hype right around what Court Kings was. Optic will remain a lower tier chrome product for the foreseeable future, and anyone pushing it as something more either has a secondary agenda or just doesnít understand what the product is.
2-4 per case is actually better than I thought especially at Donruss box prices in the $47 range.

Thanks for the commentary as I always enjoy reading your comments and getting your input (and agree with what you stated above)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #75
smalltown

Quote:
I actually deleted what I originally typed.

I said the Contenders Auto could be viewed as purchasing bitcoin, while the Next Day Auto is like buying stock in Apple, Amazon, or Google.
Fair enough. I think the Contenders Autos were better than what people expected this year and a lot of people jumped on board. They'll have their following for sure. Just not convinced they'll be a "top 3" auto to have.

Quote:
Optic will remain a lower tier chrome product for the foreseeable future, and anyone pushing it as something more either has a secondary agenda or just doesnít understand what the product is.
That's exactly what Optic has going for it. And that's what led Bowman Chrome to be popular. It was more accessible. Which led to more people "liking" it.