Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
trixstar

Default A game and itís culture - Why the NBA has thrived as the NFL has declined

Really great article.

https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...d-its-culture/
trixstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
kukocitb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
AWESOME read! Thanks for posting.
kukocitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
WillC

I enjoyed reading that - thanks.

It's great to hear that the NBA's viewing figures are on the increase. I definitely feel like basketball is way more 'watchable' and enjoyable now than it was, say, 10 years ago.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
hairyangryfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
It's great to hear that the NBA's viewing figures are on the increase. I definitely feel like basketball is way more 'watchable' and enjoyable now than it was, say, 10 years ago.
Because the game is now so fast and all about threes. I kinda hate it. Yes, some threes are good, but now EVERYBODY is jacking them - and getting applauded for doing so... Donovan Mitchell broke the rookie record for made threes. But he also took a lot more and shot worse than the league average. But OMG THREES....
Brook Lopez can't grab a rebound to save his life, but this seven-footer shoots threes all the time.
I know the game has evolved, I just wish it wasn't all about that nowadays.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
brettmik59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Because the game is now so fast and all about threes. I kinda hate it. Yes, some threes are good, but now EVERYBODY is jacking them - and getting applauded for doing so... Donovan Mitchell broke the rookie record for made threes. But he also took a lot more and shot worse than the league average. But OMG THREES....
Brook Lopez can't grab a rebound to save his life, but this seven-footer shoots threes all the time.
Slashing into the lane, drawing hard contact... that's a thing of the past. Analytics say swing the ball around and get either a dunk/layup or an open 3. Everything between the hoop and the 3 point line is irrelevant in today's game.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150825352@N05/sets/72157683636581951
brettmik59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
rhigh2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmik59 View Post
Slashing into the lane, drawing hard contact... that's a thing of the past. Analytics say swing the ball around and get either a dunk/layup or an open 3. Everything between the hoop and the 3 point line is irrelevant in today's game.
I know that's what analytics say, but that doesn't change the fact that some of us miss old basketball sometimes. It's tough to deny that it makes more sense to either have a dunk or a 3, percentage wise, but basketball use to have so much more art to it. The footwork, quick hands, strategy, mid-range game, etc.... All of that has greatly diminished because of the newer style of play.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152884306@N08/albums
rhigh2390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
Jasondr91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
It's a real life version of NBA Jam...or arcade game mode. Finesse players that have crazy range.

I actually hate that true big men are a thing of the past for now. Imagine a Shaq or Hakeem, DRob playing in today's game.
Stupid Upshaw: #10 76ers All Time Scoring Leader 1980-81
Jasondr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
chris_ac

Interesting, I thought baseball was doing better also, but maybe not. Definitely author made points I can see.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
drobfan8

And basketball will continue to thrive. It's a much better product, it's a faster game, and it's far more global. Even the Olympics and World Champs are good to watch.

The players and owners are making a killing $$$ wise so it's a happy place to be.

Now all we need is the superteam BS to stop so we can watch someone other than GS and LeBron led stacked teams.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
lepcity

Great article! I boycotted the NFL in 2014 and haven't turned back, football hater here lol enjoying NBA, NHL, MLB, NASCAR, and Golf.
lepcity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #11
RogerGodahell

Football is hurting because of CTE and anthem kneeling. Besides that it's great.
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #12
kingmogul

Anthem kneeling really killed the nfl for me
Old 04-14-2018, 01:57 AM   #13
Mince

Great read! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:11 AM   #14
regularp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmogul View Post
Anthem kneeling really killed the nfl for me
Old 04-14-2018, 04:13 AM   #15
kingmogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularp View Post
Guess when you put a family member in the ground with it on top of them you tend to care more. Not saying they don't have the right to do it I just disagree with it.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:32 AM   #16
Oldschool42

You know why BB is so hot right now? Kids can grab a ball a play with one hoop by themselves, 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc. Simple game. Baseballl takes years, space, and equipment and but it’s a hard game, and BORING for young kids. Hockey is a regional sport and is expensive as hell. Football you need to be fast, big, and WANT to hurt people. You need a killer instinct and enjoy pain. With concussions kids are being pushed towards soccer (again roll a ball onto a field and start running, straight forward game) or lacrosse (cross of a lot of sports).
Basketball games for youth sports are 1 hour or so, parents days aren’t ruined (unless you are an AAU kid, don’t get me started about AAU), you’re inside and warm, and skilled team can beat any team. Cheap sport too: sneakers under $100 (or my kid pays the difference), $50 ball, and a uniform ($60). Travel league is $210. Camps are cheap too. NBA TV is on 24/7 in my house.
The one downside to the modern NBA: the 3 point shot. NBA guys have the skill and range to fire away but too many kids just huck up 3’s when they should be looking for a higher percentage shot.
It helps that the league’s biggest stars play every night and aren’t dealing with elbow issues or their contract (baseball) or dealing with blown out ACL, concussions, or destroyed body parts (football). NBA stars are on display every night.
Oldschool42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:33 AM   #17
WillC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmogul View Post
Guess when you put a family member in the ground with it on top of them you tend to care more. Not saying they don't have the right to do it I just disagree with it.
I would feel the same way if I was in your shoes.

Social injustice is a problem but I think there are ways to make a point (and bring about change) that donít involve offending members of the military and their families.

Also, I watch sport as an escape from a lot of the worldís problems. Athletes have a right to their own political opinions, of course, but I donít want to see or hear it while watching a sports game.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #18
starfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGodahell View Post
Football is hurting because of CTE and anthem kneeling. Besides that it's great.
Exactly! Football is America's game (college or pro, you pick). Basketball is helped greatly by the influx of foreign players over the past 15 years. NFL football is struggling for a glimmer of hope to be a global game. Basketball thrives in probably close to 3/4 of the world, thus making it a truly global sport.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
starfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #19
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

Why will football remain dominant - 52 jobs then add practice team members. The NBA does have multiple other leagues to select from throughout the world but the very best are employed in the NBA.

In the US, there are how many scholarships for football players compared to men's basketball? The game of basketball is still king in the United States as far as players in the game. Its just the number who will have a realistic opportunity to play are in question. As far as having players from other area of the world in football, A. Munoz and Tony Gonz. are considered the BEST ever at their respected positions. Today's football players are seeing Polynesians in the game with huge impacts. Special teams players are coming from Australia.
Stifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
Giantrobot

Probably 50% of my buyers on eBay are from China. They love basketball.
Giantrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #21
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasondr91 View Post
It's a real life version of NBA Jam...or arcade game mode. Finesse players that have crazy range.

I actually hate that true big men are a thing of the past for now. Imagine a Shaq or Hakeem, DRob playing in today's game.
Someone like Shaq would still dominate today. (He just couldn't guard anyone)

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
spurs50fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGodahell View Post

Basketball expelled and buried it’s star who silently protested well before social media was big enough to blow it up. The problem with the NFL wasn’t the kneeling, it was the government chiming in and demanding they get what they paid for.

But you’re right on the first point. Basketball’s highlights and viral traits are well identifiable and easy to make concessions for. They changed the rules, players adapted and you have a more fast paced and exciting game league-wise

Baseball had to open the door to peds which was good while it lasted and they are still dealing with the backlash

Football’s thing was the big hit. The targeting. Taking the QB out. The high speed impacts on kickoff returns. They had to stop it and the rules changed. You see a lot better movement on offense but fans enjoyed defense probably as much

I guess the point is, basketball may be the best positioned to take advantage of a changing culture.

Last edited by spurs50fan; 04-14-2018 at 11:01 AM.
spurs50fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
spurs50fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
I would feel the same way if I was in your shoes.

Social injustice is a problem but I think there are ways to make a point (and bring about change) that don’t involve offending members of the military and their families.

Also, I watch sport as an escape from a lot of the world’s problems. Athletes have a right to their own political opinions, of course, but I don’t want to see or hear it while watching a sports game.
The one thing I would say is there is a reason those military members fight....for our freedom. Particularly to express ourselves and speak up on any issue without risk of retaliation. That’s freedom. Otherwise you’d be getting poisoned or hunted for having an opposite opinion and voicing it. Also you kneel when you pray, propose, show reverence but in this case it’s disrespectful? It’s all in the narrative you choose to accept.

There’s a history in this country of knocking the status quo and the repercussions of doing so. Sometimes death. Yes, in this free country that is the reality when you have the audacity to exercise that freedom. The truth is sports has been one of the biggest components of changing that reality. So I hear you when it comes to escaping, but politics is in the DNA of sports. Mostly because they have a platform that can’t be denied or silenced. Despite the aforementioned intimidation

Last edited by spurs50fan; 04-14-2018 at 11:30 AM.
spurs50fan is offline   Reply With Quote