Blowout Cards Forums
Blowout Shipping

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
oldgoldy97

Default Optic retail choices

How are we ranking Optic retail as far as what is best to buy?

Racks, blasters, Walmart mega, Target mega, any others Im missing?
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Ewing8888

The few hangar fat packs ive bought have been better for me than the blasters.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Rusty Bridges

For me, the hanger packs have been much better than the blasters but I guess it's really random. In only 3 hanger packs (I guess technically that's 12 packs), I pulled Mitchell Blue Velocity RC, Evan Turner auto /25, and Furguson silver holo RC). Pretty much nothing of note from the blasters.
Rusty Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
jscotta1989

I opened 12 hanger pack last night (36 regular packs and 12 blue velocity packs). No Silver rookies but did pull a Markkanen Blue velocity, josh hart Rookie Kings silver and purple rc, Mitchell Base rc, and a Ginobili Auto /25. May be done with optic but thought Id at least give it a shot.

Check out my Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/140431995@N02/N1tuM1
jscotta1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
oldgoldy97

I can buy Target or Walmart megas but neither seem too appealing.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Rusty Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
I can buy Target or Walmart megas but neither seem too appealing.
Just 2 packs in the Target box, not great odds with that. The Flash Prizms don't seem to be as popular as they could have been. If it was less $, woouldn't be a bad option.

Have yet to see the Walmart Megas
Rusty Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
byronscott4ever

I opened three cellos and two blasters. I thought the cellos were better with the guaranteed three velocity. I really wasn't impressed with the product overall.
byronscott4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
WalterAZ31

save your money. i thought retail would be decent value considering strength of the draft class, but these cards are selling for peanuts on almost anyone not named Donovan Mitchell
WalterAZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Wiseysez

I've only been able to get my hands on blasters so far. I did see megas, but they seemed like an easy thing to pass on. Have not seen any rack packs out in the wild in my area. Blasters seem plentiful though. Week 2, and 3 days after my Target restocks, there were still 10 available. Not getting scooped up as fast as Prizm, but I like that. I'll buy these any time I see them. I feel this "poor mans prizm" will see it's day in the sun if you are patient enough. Of course, I guess people will need an actual attention span for that.
Wiseysez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Jasondr91

Here in NC.....if Target and Walmart have them, they are cleaned out....only thing left is the display box.

Stay away from the mega boxes @49.99

Blasters yield the best retail odds on silver Prizms.

Hangers do have the killer blue velocity parallels. But I opened an entire cello/rack box and hit ONE single rc silver. Silver Prizms are pretty tough to hit from racks, but purples are pretty common.

It's been my favorite Panini product this year. I love it. But when I see the sales online, they are quite sad. Too many parallels, too many products. I'm thinking IF this rookie class pans out with a few stars, this could be a real sleeper product. It's got everything going for it besides the too many parallels issue.
Stupid Upshaw: #10 76ers All Time Scoring Leader 1980-81
Jasondr91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
Giantrobot

Yep, the only cards I've managed to sell were a Pink /25 Bogdanovic Auto for a whopping $45 and an on-card Frank Jackson auto for $15. I have Blue Velocity RCs for Tatum, Fox, more...no takers....several other parallels, not even worth it. Oh, and I sold all of the Red/Yellow RCs from my Wal-Mart Megabox for $40 incl Tatum, Ball, Mitchell, etc.
Giantrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #12
tdc101

I think collectors are just burnt out. Start of the 2018/19 season these Optics might heat up. The draft class is amazing.
tdc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #13
NoleinJax
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasondr91 View Post
Here in NC.....if Target and Walmart have them, they are cleaned out....only thing left is the display box.

Stay away from the mega boxes @49.99

Blasters yield the best retail odds on silver Prizms.

Hangers do have the killer blue velocity parallels. But I opened an entire cello/rack box and hit ONE single rc silver. Silver Prizms are pretty tough to hit from racks, but purples are pretty common.

It's been my favorite Panini product this year. I love it. But when I see the sales online, they are quite sad. Too many parallels, too many products. I'm thinking IF this rookie class pans out with a few stars, this could be a real sleeper product. It's got everything going for it besides the too many parallels issue.

I picked up a couple of the Target Mega boxes but may return. along with the 50 card RR set, are the other 8 cards comprised of 2 retail packs?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #14
Lame0626

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleinJax View Post
I picked up a couple of the Target Mega boxes but may return. along with the 50 card RR set, are the other 8 cards comprised of 2 retail packs?
Yes they are only two retail packs
Lame0626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
TheAnswer03

I opened 2 blasters. Pulled rookies of most notabales but Ball, Mitchell and Fultz. and then pulled a RC auto of Royce O'Neale, Only 1 silver that i can think of and rest were purples for my refractors.
TheAnswer03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
bookyyyyyy

I have a guy holding a full sealed retail box for me ($68.95). Thinking about putting it in storage for a few months until this years wax dries up.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
WHyFLy

In regards to the product, I think the design and quality is great. On-Card Autos and how the Velocity Parallels/Gold Parallels look, definitely solid. The reason for me on the poor sales so far is because it appears collectors are just burnt out on the "Low-end/Mid-end" side of the spectrum. We've had Prizm which was insane, Prizm Mosaic, Select, Contenders, and now Optic before any sort of "High-End" product for this year has been released.

I truly believe this product will hold in value and has a high-ceiling to do well given how well this rookie class is and the appearance that it's harder to pull a Holo compared to Prizm Silver. Give it some time and by next year you will see a rise in price.

I'll say one thing though, Black Velocity Rookies are going to be the new Select Tie-Dye and the Topps Black Flagship of Baseball, and trust me on this. If you can find any for cheap, grab it. If you can grade it, do it. The ceiling on Black Velocity is amazing and at their current prices, you cannot lose on this. I've already picked up one of the two I'm going after.

Blowout's Resident Atlanta Hawks & Graded Basketball Hall of Fame Collector

Last edited by WHyFLy; 04-16-2018 at 12:23 PM.
WHyFLy is online now   Reply With Quote