Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
BlowoutBuzz

Default First Buzz: 2017-18 Donruss Optic Fast Break basketball cards

First Buzz: 2017-18 Donruss Optic Fast Break basketball cards >> BlowoutBuzz.com #collect #NBA

BlowoutBuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
mindcycle

Default First Buzz: 2017-18 Donruss Optic Fast Break basketball cards

So wait.. this is in addition to regular Optic? Lol, seriously.. Are they going to have Optic mosaic too?

"Check it out guys! Here's two "different" products with that classic Panini "dribbling" and "holding the ball at different angles" photos of you favorite over hyped rookies that you loved so much from Donruss! One's shinny and ones shinny with little circles. Totally different products guys.."
Panini innovation team

My collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143610104@N02/collections

Last edited by mindcycle; 03-12-2018 at 06:49 PM.
mindcycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
chris_ac

Stop with the ugly cousin routine in regards to Fast Break. It’s strictly for the clectors who can’t afford the regular version is my guess. Good for kids in other words.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Orangejello727

Panini is "Squeezing the Juice!" from this years rookie crop.

Contenders
Optic Contenders
..probably Prizm Contenders
.. Chicken Tender!!

Donruss
Donruss Optic
Donruss Optic Fast break

They are melding 3 brands into a 4th brand made up of the 3 previous brands. Probably follow it up with a Chronicles version and a Replay version as well.

Each rookie this year will have signed over 50,000 auto'd cards. Welcome back to the over production era. Instead of just base, the new generation of over production also includes Autos!!
Orangejello727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
mindcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Each rookie this year will have signed over 50,000 auto'd cards. Welcome back to the over production era. Instead of just base, the new generation of over production also includes Autos!!
Yeah, I was just contemplating this recently. Do you guys think we're currently in a repeat of the "junk wax era" right now? Given Panini can put out releases like Prizm and Donruss three different times and still sell the stuff, let alone the 25 other releases they put out every season, it seems like there's a ton of interest/money in the hobby right now. Same thing happened in the 90's pretty much.

Maybe all of us 90's kids are back into it now and that's what's happening.. It would be interesting to know the average age of collectors nowadays. It has to be up there I would think. They're not marketing most of this stuff towards kids anymore that's for sure.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
COMCMax

Eventually it's gonna be to much. These players are gonna have 500 rookie cards lol

*I understand they are in the business of making money ,but don't kill your cash cow for one good year of milk lol

Last edited by COMCMax; 03-12-2018 at 11:32 AM.
COMCMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
jbarnett83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Panini is "Squeezing the Juice!" from this years rookie crop.

Contenders
Optic Contenders
..probably Prizm Contenders
.. Chicken Tender!!

Donruss
Donruss Optic
Donruss Optic Fast break

They are melding 3 brands into a 4th brand made up of the 3 previous brands. Probably follow it up with a Chronicles version and a Replay version as well.

Lol agreed...just look at what they致e done with Prizm parallels. The first run of 12/13 Prizm was by far the best. I feel like every new release has some sort of Prizm insert now. As soon as Panini hits a home run they cling to it and water it down till you don稚 want it anymore.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151020056@N08/albums/72157684045965826
IG - stevenashcollection
jbarnett83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
Bruin7

I actually love Optic; great retail break for the $$$. We need this line to continue so the Simmons Holo RCs go up lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
kenji003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnett83 View Post
Lol agreed...just look at what they致e done with Prizm parallels. The first run of 12/13 Prizm was by far the best. I feel like every new release has some sort of Prizm insert now. As soon as Panini hits a home run they cling to it and water it down till you don稚 want it anymore.
I don't blame Panini for doing this. If it is Topps to take over bkb, they will do the same as Panini. Look at how they work on Bowman chrome for baseball. So I feel like this is current product model.

This year they take chances of good rookie class ( at least by all the hype up) to make money. It is right strategy. From our side, as customer, we should take advantage of this and pick up what we like. It is unnecessary to buy everything. By cherry picking product from customers, they will know what series should be released next year and what should be terminated. They did an example this year by mixing up gold standard and some other series man I forget what that product name is lol.

In conclusion, we pay what we like.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
need cards:iverson 1997-1998 fleer ultra platinum #258 /100, iverson 1998-1999 skybox/fleer autographics black, iverson 1998-1999 skybox premium star rubies #31 /50
kenji003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
jbarnett83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji003 View Post
I don't blame Panini for doing this. If it is Topps to take over bkb, they will do the same as Panini. Look at how they work on Bowman chrome for baseball. So I feel like this is current product model.

This year they take chances of good rookie class ( at least by all the hype up) to make money. It is right strategy. From our side, as customer, we should take advantage of this and pick up what we like. It is unnecessary to buy everything. By cherry picking product from customers, they will know what series should be released next year and what should be terminated. They did an example this year by mixing up gold standard and some other series man I forget what that product name is lol.

I am not sure about the bowman chrome/Topps chrome comparison but how would you feel if Topps threw in chrome with a product like triple threads, Heritage, A&G, etc...this is what Panini has done to Prizm imo. I didn稚 mind when it was Select and Prizm but now there are 15 different products that all look the same.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151020056@N08/albums/72157684045965826
IG - stevenashcollection
jbarnett83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji003 View Post

While I agree that Topps over does baseball prospect/rc autos, its not the same comparison.

Bowman, Bowman chrome and Bowman draft are essentially 3 different products. You will not pull a 1st bowman auto of player x from bowman, then in bowman chrome and then in draft. You will have an opportunity in one of them. For Panini, youll have a chance at the same card in base, fast break and then in mosaic. Thats 3 products with the same same card. That would be like bryce harper having a 1st bowman auto in bowman, bowman chrome and bowman draft.
Orangejello727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
chris_ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin7 View Post
I actually love Optic; great retail break for the $$$. We need this line to continue so the Simmons Holo RCs go up lol.
This is for an affiliate of Optic. Not the version you love.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
tmar214

Fast break optic with a higher suggest retail price than regular optic? I understand prizm
Fast break as it's a chance to break a prizm type set at 30% the cost. Better autos than retail and more variety.

Here we are looking at a higher price point with sticker autos vs on card in regular?
tmar214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
smalltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcycle View Post
Yeah, I was just contemplating this recently. Do you guys think we're currently in a repeat of the "junk wax era" right now?
100% happening. And if you think basketball is bad. Baseball is worse. And i think UD is still printing Series 1 hockey from two season ago based on what's on store shelves up here in Canada. So much product out there. And literally thousands upon thousands of autos of every rookie each year. I've been slowly shifting they way i collect because of it.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #15
oldgoldy97

And a place online, not BO, has it up for $30 over suggested price. Pathetic.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
oldgoldy97

This continued jacking up of prices is keeping me to packs at the LCSs.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #17
ThoseBackPages

why are there no action photos since they are using stickers?
#LighthouseBONER
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #18
mindcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
100% happening. And if you think basketball is bad. Baseball is worse. And i think UD is still printing Series 1 hockey from two season ago based on what's on store shelves up here in Canada. So much product out there. And literally thousands upon thousands of autos of every rookie each year. I've been slowly shifting they way i collect because of it.

Yeah so have I actually. The first new product i've purchased since the 15-16 season was FOLT Select. Despite some initial buzz, prices have already drastically dropped off from week 1. There's just entirely too much stuff out there right now and the box prices just don't justify the value anymore IMO.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #19
mindcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
why are there no action photos since they are using stickers?

Why redo photos for a "new" release when you can just copy them..

Seriously though, not updating the photos (or at least some of them..) for Optic is just downright lazy. I for one am not going to pay for something that looks exactly the same as a release I already bought. Especially this season with the majority of cards being of a dude dribbling anyway.

Last season I gave Optic a pass because the Donruss photography was cool and it was a new concept. This season seems to be more about doing the absolute minimal amount of work necessary and letting hype sell everything. Right down to the photography used, the repeat products, and the absurd release prices.

Last edited by mindcycle; 03-12-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #20
chris_ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
100% of the reason to be a singles guy. It has taken months, but I'm starting to feel the relief of not even remotely considering box breaks. Group breaks only if the checklist meets my fancy which luckily isn't that often.

The increase speculation only adds to the weight lifted off my shoulders from breaking those new "must have" products.

Case in point, Select should be $105. # of hits haven't changed. $2-300 for a box regardless of rookie class is just like changing the channel on your remote. Easy peasy.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #21
Scottish Punk

It is the secondary market that really suffers. Group breakers buy a ton of product so Panini gets their sell outs. Group breakers dump all of these singles on the market in a short time before the next product is out and the current one is old news. Rinse and Repeat. For those that group break, do the slots still sell out? quickly? I think there is where you will see the first domino fall if the market settles back in.

Singles buyers can just wait a few months and get everything they want for pennies on the dollar with the exception of the hottest RC in the hottest product.
Scottish Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Pathora

These Fast Break products are great for me because they are an easy pass. At least Prizm Fast Break made a little sense with standard being 300+ a box now, but there's no way anyone should ever buy Optic Fast Break over Optic when they're the same price.

Panini is doing this stuff because 1) Its easier work, 2) The required product load is so high 3) People are buying everything up from this year.

I agree that the art of group breaking and the subsequent sellouts hurts part of the ability of Panini being forced to do products better. Immaculate last year was an absolute dumpster fire but people bought into group breaks for hundreds of dollars without seeing any real previews of it. I hope they make it better this year but not holding my breath there.
Pathora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #23
majestik101

Not a fan of this. However I would be all in for an Optic treatment of Status. That would be incredible.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #24
CubKings

What the hell is up with all these fast break or FOTL stuff? Why they gotta release a product under 9 different names? Not to mention the 87 parallels for everything.

This is beyond absurd.

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/cublife
CubKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #25
RedMikeC
Banned - PBM

Yeah - man, its crazy and to think people keep on buying these boxes too lol.
RedMikeC is offline   Reply With Quote