Blowout Cards Forums
May Flowers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
jgrann13

Default Quick History Lesson Please..

Hi Guys---Kinda new back into the NBA collecting world over the past few months. I jumped in heavy, but there is one card I purchased that I really did not do my homework on.

Kevin Durant 2006 AA McDonald's Auto

Didn't get it for an awful price and its graded PSA/DNA Authentic Auto.

Whats the deal with these? I cant really find a history lesson about these on the forums or online and they aren't really listed in an Price Guides nor do they come up often on ebay.

Appreciate the info as a baseball collector I know the Prefect Games and Aflac Autos are serial numbered and command attention for the superstars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	413700  
jgrann13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
hockeyguyrich

They were inserted in topps jumbo packs that year
hockeyguyrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
dasiegel

they were rare cards and probably great long term holds
Old 04-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
jgrann13

Thanks for info!---So I am not a grader and have never used PSA. Why is this one graded PSA/DNA Authentic and Ive seen a few graded with an actual grade?

Is it just the way the card was submitted? Does PSA not grade these?
jgrann13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
kukocitb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrann13 View Post
Thanks for info!---So I am not a grader and have never used PSA. Why is this one graded PSA/DNA Authentic and Ive seen a few graded with an actual grade?

Is it just the way the card was submitted? Does PSA not grade these?
I think the blue label means they authenticated the auto only and not the card.

Oh the rise and the fall. I could sing songs capturing it all, but I won't sing to you again because you're not listening.
kukocitb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
afrobandit

Durants were never inserted in packs because Durant was UD Exclusive at the time. These are in-person autographs.
afrobandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
thenwhatjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguyrich View Post
They were inserted in topps jumbo packs that year
Ha no

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
they were rare cards and probably great long term holds
This card has tanked really, really badly over the years. Remember the rich kid on HK with a crazy Bill Russell collection who interned or something for topps? If I remember right he grabbed one of these and it was the only one to surface for a long time, then a bunch surfaced. I bet thereís been a bunch of threads on these over the years. I always thought it was a super cool card (used to own like 25 of the 100 Thad youngs haaaay) but itís definitely come down a lot (unless itís gone back up in the past year or two when I havenít been paying much attention)
Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
Jasondr91

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatjk View Post
Ha no

This card has tanked really, really badly over the years. Remember the rich kid on HK with a crazy Bill Russell collection who interned or something for topps? If I remember right he grabbed one of these and it was the only one to surface for a long time, then a bunch surfaced. I bet thereís been a bunch of threads on these over the years. I always thought it was a super cool card (used to own like 25 of the 100 Thad youngs haaaay) but itís definitely come down a lot (unless itís gone back up in the past year or two when I havenít been paying much attention)
I remember that guy! Anyways, From what I recall, the cards were signed at the McDonald's event, much like Topps Photo Shoot cards were.

There are some UD exclusives Topps did that exist of guys like Dwight Howard also. They were never released to the hobby by Topps, but pulled once they signed exclusive contracts elsewhere.

They are VERY tough cards on some guys. The Durant is so odd because the signature doesn't resemble what people know him to sign. Long before the kid realized he was famous and soon would be inking thousands of cards.

(Think the Lebron auto on the original 1st Sports Illustrated issue)

That Durant is awesome. I hate the ink bleed though.
Stupid Upshaw: #10 76ers All Time Scoring Leader 1980-81
Jasondr91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
dasiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatjk View Post
Ha no

This is just my prediction about long term holding. right now there is only 1 on ebay with 10 watchers. Durant has a chance to be the best player in the league in the next 5 years or so. If he does become that or has some love fest reunion with OKC or a number of other possibilities this card would have a lot of room to grow. If he stays with GSW and picks up a few more rings, same thing, it'll go up on some level.