Old 08-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #26
speedyjg13

I'm going with JD! Sorry Trouty
speedyjg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #27
66_Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepsspot View Post
Injuries are part of the game so you canít use that as an excuse and Moreland was on the team last year.

On this team right now, how many were not on last years team?
Worded wrong by me (about Moreland; left out a blurb on HRam) after reading my response, but that's not the point.

People are claiming the Sox success this year is based on JD, when it's moreso due to a healthy lineup/pitching. JD definitely has had an impact, but I would say it's equivalent to having Cora as the new manager. Both have been great for the team this year.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #28
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

I support trends and I previously replied by a writer from last season picking who he thought was more valuable in clutch situations "Altuve".
Still researching data but as of now, MVP Winner vs 2nd place L&C, H L sOPS+ Post Season:
2017 Altuve Late & Close X High Leverage X Post Season X
2017 Judge Late & Close High Leverage Post Season X
2016 Trout Late & Close X High Leverage X Post Season
2016 Betts Late & Close High Leverage Post Season X
2015 Donal. Late & Close High Leverage X Post Season X
2015 Trout Late & Close X High Leverage Post Season
2014 Trout Last & Close X High Leverage X Post Season X
2014 VMart Late & Close High Leverage Post Season X
2013 Miggy Late & Close X High Leverage X Post Season X
2013 Trout Late & Close High Leverage Post Season
2012 Miggy Late & Close X High Leverage X Post Season X
2012 Trout Late & Close High Leverage Post Season
2011 Verlander - Pitcher ----------------------------------------

The year Trout lost to Donaldson was because of a playoff tie breaker. Is there a pattern ?

Moose can see the how MLB is saving arms on starting and relief pitcher with pitch counts and less starts, he can also see the new rules protecting infielders with base runners no longer able to crash into fielders, he can also see the new rules protecting catchers with crashing contact plays at the plate. I have even witnessed many more calls of a batter being called out for running inside the line going to first base to protect the First Basement from contact plays. Somehow he is unable to understand that Martinez who I believe has only played the outfield a couple of times after once again crashing into the wall vs Detroit. Last season he lost a great share of the season to the injury. Moose is also able to understand that with Trout out of the lineup the Angels are not nearly as dangerous as a lineup. He just doesn't want to admit the impact of protecting a outfielder who makes a huge impact in the lineup.

Last edited by Stifle; 08-12-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Stifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportnut08 View Post
Stop it. Is J.T. Realmuto the NL MVP?
He's up there
I voted Trout on a message board about baseball cards .... with bias. Pretty obvious who I am a fan of.
#notanofficialMVPvotingprocess

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FOMO is for real so do it ÖÖ doooooooo it!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #30
daviswr7

I vote Betts because I have more RCs of his then everyone else.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #31
oldgoldy97

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
I vote Betts because I have more RCs of his then everyone else.
Then I vote Henry Owens.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #32
moosetequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
I support trends and I previously replied by a writer from last season picking who he thought was more valuable in clutch situations "Altuve".
Still researching data but as of now, MVP Winner vs 2nd place L&C, H L sOPS+ Post Season:
2017 Altuve Late & Close X High Leverage X Post Season X
2017 Judge Late & Close High Leverage Post Season X
2016 Trout Late & Close High Leverage Post Season
2015 Donal. Late & Close High Leverage X Post Season X
2015 Trout Late & Close X High Leverage Post Season
2014 Trout Last & Close High Leverage Post Season
2013 Miggy Late & Close X High Leverage X Post Season X
2013 Trout Late & Close High Leverage Post Season
2012 Miggy Late & Close X High Leverage X Post Season X
2012 Trout Late & Close High Leverage Post Season
2011 Verlander - Pitcher ----------------------------------------

Still need to research because 2 of the best clutch seasons Trout had he won MVP, and the year he great but lost to Donaldson because of playoff tie breaker. Is there a pattern ?

Moose can see the how MLB is saving arms on starting and relief pitcher with pitch counts and less starts, he can also see the new rules protecting infielders with base runners no longer able to crash into fielders, he can also see the new rules protecting catchers with crashing contact plays at the plate. Somehow he is unable to understand that Martinez who I believe has only played the outfield a couple of times after once again crashing into the wall vs Detroit. Last season he lost a great share of the season to the injury. Moose is also able to understand that with Trout out of the lineup the Angels are not nearly as dangerous as a lineup. He just doesn't want to admit the impact of protecting a outfielder who makes a huge impact in the lineup.

So it's worth risking Betts crashing into a wall? How about Beni? Why isn't he taking Jr's spot? His bat sucks! Freaking comical reasoning! Mook has played 3 different positions, that's MVP. Mook gives offense AND DEFENSE. Mook has 202 PO vs. 79 for JD, he is taking away from the opposing team!

JD is batting absolutely amazingly, but he is not the MVP, not even on Sox.

Don't POMO my Mellow...
moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #33
moosetequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
Then I vote Henry Owens.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice!

Don't POMO my Mellow...
Old 08-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #34
Stifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetequila View Post

So it's worth risking Betts crashing into a wall? How about Beni? Why isn't he taking Jr's spot? His bat sucks! Freaking comical reasoning! Mook has played 3 different positions, that's MVP. Mook gives offense AND DEFENSE. Mook has 202 PO vs. 79 for JD, he is taking away from the opposing team!

JD is batting absolutely amazingly, but he is not the MVP, not even on Sox.

Does Betts have a history like Martinez of being injured crashing into the wall? Trout has a history of messing his hand / wrist in stolen base attempts. I will research to find out if Betts has a inner GPS issue of crashing into walls as well. Betts is a Great player who I would vote as number 2 as of this point in the season but many Betts fans are in disbelief that Martinez is receiving love for having what could be the greatest clutch hitting season in modern baseball, 200+ plus sOPS+ in the 4 main Clutch hitting stats. Mookie is just a step behind otherwise he would be the A+ talk of baseball.

Betts 1 Error & 5 Assists, Martinez 0 Errors & 3 Assists, I would enjoy having both of these in my outfield.

Last edited by Stifle; 08-12-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #35
seabass97166

Being a DH actually does impact his power numbers.

Last year he was on pace for 75 HRs in the NL

This year only 50 HRs
seabass97166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #36
moosetequila

Quote:
Does Betts have a history like Martinez of being injured crashing into the wall? Trout has a history of messing his hand / wrist in stolen base attempts. I will research to find out if Betts has a inner GPS issue of crashing into walls as well.
Haha, stay triggered my friend.

#MakeWallsSofter

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Don't POMO my Mellow...
Old 08-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #37
Stifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass97166 View Post
Being a DH actually does impact his power numbers.

Last year he was on pace for 75 HRs in the NL

This year only 50 HRs

Moose doesn't want me to explain this to him, therefore thank you Seabass.

Moose still doesn't understand how vital it is to protect invested players. I don't want anyone being injured but I feel Betts has a better feel for where he is in the outfield. I believe the Red Sox have the same feeling.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #38
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Moose doesn't want me to explain this to him, therefore thank you Seabass.

Moose still doesn't understand how vital it is to protect invested players. I don't want anyone being injured but I feel Betts has a better feel for where he is in the outfield. I believe the Red Sox have the same feeling.
I think what you mean to say, is that Betts is a better baseball player.
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #39
Stifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I think what you mean to say, is that Betts is a better baseball player.
Betts is the 2nd Best baseball player in the world at this date "JD". He could easily be number one if playing outfield was as valuable as the toughest skill in all sports, hitting against a Major League pitcher. If you can hit, there will always be a place for you in the bigs. Some of the best skilled fielders to ever play never made it to the majors. Let me know when Mark Belanger, Eddie Brinkman, and a host of .220 hitters with no power but were outstanding fielders were voted in the top 2 as MVP? Who was the Center Fielder a couple years ago that was outstanding, was it for Toronto? Where did he finish in the MVP race?

Betts is just a small step behind Martinez in the race. Long way to go.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #40
Hollywood42

What?

Quote:
Betts is the 2nd Best baseball player in the world at this date "JD". He could easily be number one if playing outfield was as valuable as the toughest skill in all sports, hitting against a Major League pitcher. If you can hit, there will always be a place for you in the bigs. Some of the best skilled fielders to ever play never made it to the majors. Let me know when Mark Belanger, Eddie Brinkman, and a host of .220 hitters with no power but were outstanding fielders were voted in the top 2 as MVP? Who was the Center Fielder a couple years ago that was outstanding, was it for Toronto? Where did he finish in the MVP race?

Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #41
NeedChapmans

Quote:

I see what you're doing. Since playing a position on the field is not as important as hitting; it's not important at all.

Not to bring up the 5,000 examples where your theory holds no water, but Ozzie Smith is regarded as one of the great baseball players of our time. HOF; all that jazz ... and the man had a career slugging percentage of .328. On his best day, he was considered a below average hitter; and yet, he built an entire MLB HOF career out of two skills. Speed and defense.

You can argue the merits of Smith and the HOF; but clearly, the game holds defense much more valuable then what you sell it to be.
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #42
Stifle

Quote:
I see what you're doing. Since playing a position on the field is not as important as hitting; it's not important at all.

Not to bring up the 5,000 examples where your theory holds no water, but Ozzie Smith is regarded as one of the great baseball players of our time. HOF; all that jazz ... and the man had a career slugging percentage of .328. On his best day, he was considered a below average hitter; and yet, he built an entire MLB HOF career out of two skills. Speed and defense.

You can argue the merits of Smith and the HOF; but clearly, the game holds defense much more valuable then what you sell it to be.
Has a DH ever won before? If Jose Conseco can win a MVP as a fraud in the field, then in this new era of protecting what are huge invested players is certainly the way of the future. Members can debate with WAR but I'll debate with value as in invested Payroll!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #43
deemsterz33

Betts has already missed 20 games. Only 7 times in the last 40 years has a player missed 20+ games and won MVP. Most of those were in the steroid era too.
deemsterz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #44
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Has a DH ever won before? If Jose Conseco can win a MVP as a fraud in the field, then in this new era of protecting what are huge invested players is certainly the way of the future. Members can debate with WAR but I'll debate with value as in invested Payroll!
No. A DH has never won.

Don Baylor is the closest, having DH'ed 64 of 162 games in 1979; (next highest is Jim Rice who DH'ed 49 games) but the voting that year tells you all you need to know about how the game was viewed then).

How Fred Lynn did not win in '79 is still a great MLB mystery. His team even had a better record than Baylor's Angels (but finished in 3rd to the Angels 1st)

Last edited by NeedChapmans; 08-12-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #45
Stifle

Quote:
No. A DH has never won.

Don Baylor is the closest, having DH'ed 64 of 162 games in 1979; (next highest is Jim Rice who DH'ed 49 games) but the voting that year tells you all you need to know about how the game was viewed then).

How Fred Lynn did not win in '79 is still a great MLB mystery. His team even had a better record than Baylor's Angels (but finished in 3rd to the Angels 1st)

I don't believe fans are adapting to what MLB has become. It's a league that is protecting its investments / players. Players from just 15 years ago were earning a portion of what today's players earn. The days of having Pujols and Miggy & Tulo, etc go out on the field and play with broken bones, severe injuries that will help the team in that moment for success is obsolete. Today's owners want their long term invested players to be healthy for future seasons, hence all the new rules for safety because of what mistakes were made in the past. Did these fore mentioned players forfeit future success by playing injured "surgery" instead of hurt "bumps & bruises". I believe so and fans will see more caution by managers and owners who have learned by changing rules and by the utilization of players.

If a player from 385 feet away can have a fly ball crack off his cranium and go over the wall for a home run and have a MVP to his credit ? How much value does a player receive as a fielder when they are amazing as a clutch hitter?

Where is Victor Martinez & Ortiz in the DH comparison as a Clutch hitter compared to JD Martinez. JD Martinez has already scored many more runs with a quarter of the season to go. His clutch hitting makes these two pale in comparison.

The NFL had a Kicker who won the MVP "Mark Moseley". Did he win in 1983 when he had the most points with 161, No! He won during the shortened 9 game season in 1982, though he rarely was on the field with teammates who were giving up their bodies for 9 NFL games! Moseley won because he was so clutch in the biggest moments. If the NFL can see value, I'm sure baseball can as well. JD.

Last edited by Stifle; 08-12-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #46
jstasyk1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemsterz33 View Post
Betts has already missed 20 games. Only 7 times in the last 40 years has a player missed 20+ games and won MVP. Most of those were in the steroid era too.
so who would you have as the winner then??

*and i would like it to be known that there was already an AL MVP thread...just sayin...lol*
jstasyk1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #47
seabass97166

Dan Patrick and staff radio show just now discussing MVP...

Going back and forth in NL with Baez, Carpenter...dark horse Scherzer.

Then AL...

Dan: “Is it a forgone conclusion JD is the MVP?”
Staff: “Mookie?”
Dan: “No don’t thibk so. Martinez is flirting with the triple crown”

No discussion of WARs, defense, time on the field..

Sometines the choice is just simple and obvious without all the drama
seabass97166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #48
tlschwerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Trout and Lindor are right behind those guys, but safely behind them at this point.
The three horse race includes Trout and not JD. Yes, Martinez is having a great year, but he only hits. You can try to remove that from the equation, but the voters don't. I'm a huge supporter of the DH rule, but when it comes to awards, it's a specialist scenario and the same reason why a reliever rarely is in the Cy Young discussion. Ramirez, Mookie, and Trout lead the AL in fWAR by a pretty wide margin. It will be one of those three barring a complete falloff from the trio.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #49
Hollywood42

I think it's interesting that in the poll, Mookie is beating JD at over 2 votes to 1, but in the comments, everyone seems to be saying JD has to be the choice
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #50
tribefan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
If Jd and Betts stay healthy itís over

Team is going to win 110 games or whatever

Not sure who gets it. But it will be one of them
Does two candidates on one team hurt them by splitting votes?

JD is having a great year, but I canít put him ahead of two guys putting up numbers likes Betts and JRam who give me plus defense also.
tribefan26 is offline   Reply With Quote