Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Soxrule111

Default Anyone Ever purchase "Omaha Steaks"

Has anyone on here ever bought from them? Heard the add on the Radio for their "Fathers Day Special" and thought maybe I should get it for my dad to use on his new grill. But Ive never actually bought one of those radio promos.

Its like omahasteaks.com
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
motu79

My dad and sister have both bought from there. Haven't heard them say a bad thing about them and they're both pretty picky eaters.
motu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
BostonNut

Someone needs to explain these to me.

What is special about them? Why would I order a frozen chunk of meat and fly it across the country when I can just go to the farm or the meat deli at the local store and get a fresh steak?

Is it a special kind of cow found only in Omaha?
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
fulltritty

I used to buy them all of the time when I was single. Never had a bad cut of meat or anything else.
fulltritty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
teosdesserts

I buy them all the time, no complaints thus far.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
fulltritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post

What is special about them? Why would I order a frozen chunk of meat and fly it across the country when I can just go to the farm or the meat deli at the local store and get a fresh steak?

Because the meat is far superior to anything you would find around your local area; unless of course it was injected with David Ortiz's favorite non-traceable steroid.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltritty View Post
Because the meat is far superior to anything you would find around your local area; unless of course it was injected with David Ortiz's favorite non-traceable steroid.
I guess my question is...why? What makes it superior?

I have four farms within ten minutes of me that are all organic grass-fed beef. Would it be better than that?

(As you can probably tell I am not a meat guru.)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
nabzy28

A long while back, when it was convenient, I did regularly. Just sign up to receive mailers/offers and use those. We had a location nearby, so I'd just take the offers there and get an absolute ton of stuff for free. If they had an in-store special, they let me stack coupons/offers with those, too. As for quality, it was good. Didn't seem like anything special to me, but the deals made it well worth it.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
asujbl

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
You need to explain...

Since Omaha Steaks has stores all over the damn place.

You're telling me that the Omaha Steaks at Polaris Mall in my City is "far superior" then if I went to a local butcher? I'm sure Omaha Steaks are very good. Far superior is crazy talk.

I can shenanigans.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
longisland

Love it as a gift from the family for Father's Day.

I'm not lucky enough to be an elitist that lives ten minutes from four farms, so the convenience is very much appreciated.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by longisland View Post
Love it as a gift from the family for Father's Day.

I'm not lucky enough to be an elitist that lives ten minutes from four farms, so the convenience is very much appreciated.
What in the world does this mean??

I was asking an honest question. I'm not a meat expert. How in the world does it make me an elitist that I live in the sticks?
Proud owner of JBLR post and reply #10,000!
Forum Unity Complete!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
IowaCubs1

I live in Iowa so don't need any Omaha steak crap. The cows here are just fine lol and the meat counters are HUGE.

In all honesty - we have had them before. They're great.
IowaCubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
fulltritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
You need to explain...

Since Omaha Steaks has stores all over the damn place.

You're telling me that the Omaha Steaks at Polaris Mall in my City is "far superior" then if I went to a local butcher? I'm sure Omaha Steaks are very good. Far superior is crazy talk.

I can shenanigans.
I didn't realize Columbus, Ohio was in the heart of beef country where conditions are ideal for raising the highest quality cattle.

Unless your local butcher has a contract or is traveling to Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, or Kansas and the volume that Omaha Steaks can produce, I doubt he has the pull to get the freshest, best cuts of beef like Omaha steaks can. He probably doesn't have the amount of qualified beef experts working for him to choose the best possible beef and cuts. I'm sure if both of these were true, his beef would be too high a cost to stay in business long just supplying to the local market.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
Postman

To me the deals dont seem that good. I would just rather buy from my local grocery store.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #15
BostonNut

I'll try asking a different way.

What makes that cow better than the cow down the street? Is it what they eat? How they are raised?

I do understand your cut point though...that makes sense.

This frustrates me.

Quote:
I didn't realize Columbus, Ohio was in the heart of beef country where conditions are ideal for raising the highest quality cattle.

Unless your local butcher has a contract or is traveling to Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, or Kansas and the volume that Omaha Steaks can produce, I doubt he has the pull to get the freshest, best cuts of beef like Omaha steaks can. He probably doesn't have the amount of qualified beef experts working for him to choose the best possible beef and cuts. I'm sure if both of these were true, his beef would be too high a cost to stay in business long just supplying to the local market.
Forum Unity Complete!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
asujbl

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:

So the Omaha Steaks at the mall in Columbus, Ohio is better then any local butcher regardless of where and when he might get his meat? Omaha Steaks, again in the freaking mall, is guaranteed to have the freshest cuts in town?

Got it.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #17
fulltritty

Quote:
I guess my question is...why? What makes it superior?

I have four farms within ten minutes of me that are all organic grass-fed beef. Would it be better than that?

(As you can probably tell I am not a meat guru.)
Grass-fed, organic cattle may or may not be healthier for you depending on the study. The meat is also usually firmer and not as rich in flavor due to the lack of marbling.

Grain-fed cattle graze on grass and then are fed rich-in-nutrients grain. It usually results in more flavorful and higher quality beef with superior marbling and texture.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
ILOVEBEER
Banned

The food isn't bad. There are usually coupons online or in the mail. Without them, it's over priced.
ILOVEBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #19
BostonNut

Quote:
Grass-fed, organic cattle may or may not be healthier for you depending on the study. The meat is also usually firmer and not as rich in flavor due to the lack of marbling.

Grain-fed cattle graze on grass and then are fed rich-in-nutrients grain. It usually results in more flavorful and higher quality beef with superior marbling and texture.
Ah....makes sense, thanks.

The freezing and flying doesn't mess with the quality? Maybe I'll have to try this out.
Forum Unity Complete!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
fulltritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
So the Omaha Steaks at the mall in Columbus, Ohio is better then any local butcher regardless of where and when he might get his meat? Omaha Steaks, again in the freaking mall, is guaranteed to have the freshest cuts in town?

Got it.
I wasn't talking about freshest, I was talking about superior quality meats. That's why I said unless your local butcher is getting his meat from the same high quality producing beef cattle States as Omaha, it may have some qualities equal to Omaha Steaks. Ohio beef is not superior or even comparable to the beef raised in the States I mentioned. If he is getting it from those States, than the freshness is probably the same. Omaha Steaks are aged for 21 days and then flash freezed. Does your local butcher age beef? The local grocery store doesn't.

I know I have never bought a cut of meat either in NJ where I grew up or in MD where I live now that can even compare to Omaha Steaks and that includes meat from local butchers and not just grocery stores.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #21
Firerunner4

I've never purchased them but my parents usually send us a ton of them around the holidays, we've really enjoyed them but I don't think they're any better than what I can buy at the grocery store
Old 06-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #22
fulltritty

Quote:
Ah....makes sense, thanks.

The freezing and flying doesn't mess with the quality? Maybe I'll have to try this out.
Here's a good explanation of the flash freezing process Omaha Steaks does to seal the freshness in:

SteakBytes.com | The Omaha Steaks Blog
Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #23
fullmetal
Banned

They are good, but not superior. The meat is just run of the mill stuff. My wife gets a freezer box from her employer each year. I wouldn't buy it, but I won't turn down a free gift.

If you can get it for a good price, I would recommend it. If the price is the same as you can get locally, don't waste your time ordering. Again, their product is not superior to what you can get locally.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #24
Nuurgle

We used to get these once or twice a year when I was growing up. My favorite part was playing with the dry ice they came packed in.
Nuurgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #25
glen87

Quote:

because not everyone can walk out into their backyard and get their own

other cards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glen87/albums
glen87 is online now   Reply With Quote