Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Notices

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #126
bradical

Any updates on a mobile friendly website?

I mean, we are approaching 2019.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #127
3124508 on COMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones6 View Post
This is the point.
You cannot expect COMC to continue to allow people to build their wealth (inventory) with no transaction fee on that.

Flip Scenario (and yes, it's exaggerated) 1.00 2.00 3.00 5.00 7.00 8.00 10.00
That's 9.00 in profits for the "customers" and 0.00 in profit for the business.
Now it's 1.80 in profit for the business (36.00 in sales). And small, incremental losses to the customers. There will be a multiplier effect on the losses.
But flippers already pay a ton via the amazon/ebay charges. I personally have given COMC thousands of $$ for those with no work on their behalf. Now this change is just increasing the magnitude. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s not great.

I also think this change will significantly (e.g. >5% of a card’s value) hurt offer acceptance as a buyer. Now there’s a mentality of money lost every transaction, so people will be inherently more reluctant to accept offers.
3124508 on COMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #128
scotthenrichs

With the changes in the eBay and Amazon pricing, does this mean ALL our stuff will actually be listed? Currently I’m seeing maybe 40 percent of my comc listings on there. 100 percent might help offset the 5 percent transaction fee more by increased eBay sales.
scotthenrichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #129
mc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
Lower your auto accept to 15%, which I think most seller will lower their auto accept 5%.
Yeah, best thing to do and negate the fees will be to lower the auto accept 5-10%. Although maybe if bulk pricing is available raising prices 5-10% across the board would work too.
mc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #130
Yaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradical View Post
Any updates on a mobile friendly website?

I mean, we are approaching 2019.
Yeah with these increased fees, please put some of the money towards a mobile site!!!
Yaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #131
Bowman1951

The biggest flaw in the new “COMC tax” (from here on out, that’s what this should be known as), is that they had the opportunity to make it regressive but got greedy and will ultimately pay for this with less buying/selling on site because of it. This goes for flippers as well as organic submissions.

If I was running COMC, here is roughly how I would have structured it.

.01 - $5 sales — 5%
$5.01 - $25 sales — 4%
$25.01 - $50 — 3%
$50.01 - $250 — 2.5%
$250 - $1000 — 1.5%
$1000 and above — 1%

The 5% across the board at any selling price is atrocious. A regressive tax would bring in higher end flippers and sellers. I don’t mind if they take a penny on a 20 cent flip I did or a nickel on a dollar card because there is a cost to hosting. But if I was to unload a $2000 card from my PC, I’d be pissed about the $100 tax just to move it. $20 for simply hosting the card would have been plenty at 1% plus whatever they make on the new storage fees at that level. I have no issue with premium storage fees and not just because I don’t use it. In the future I may have but the non-staggered fee from the sale will possibly keep me from doing that. I’ve got other places with zero fees beyond a Paypal transaction to sell higher end cards. COMC didn’t make that attractive at all.

You completely dropped the ball here, COMC. Now I know why you dumped this on us on a Friday afternoon.

Last edited by Bowman1951; 11-10-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #132
scotthenrichs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
The biggest flaw in the new ďCOMC taxĒ (from here on out, thatís what this should be known as), is that they had the opportunity to make it regressive but got greedy and will ultimately pay for this with less buying/selling on site because of it. This goes for flippers as well as organic submissions.

If I was running COMC, here is roughly how I would have structured it.

.01 - $5 sales ó 5%
$5.01 - $25 sales ó 4%
$25.01 - $50 ó 3%
$50.01 - $250 ó 2.5%
$250 - $1000 ó 1.5%
$1000 and above ó 1%

The 5% across the board at any selling price is atrocious. A regressive tax would bring in higher end flippers and sellers. I donít mind if they take a penny on a 20 cent flip I did or a nickel on a dollar card because there is a cost to hosting. But if I was to unload a $2000 card from my PC, Iíd be pissed about the $100 tax just to move it. $20 for simply hosting the card would have been plenty at 1% plus whatever they make on the new storage fees at that level. I have no issue with premium storage fees and not just because I donít use it. In the future I may have but the non-staggered fee from the sale will possibly keep me from doing that. Iíve got other places with zero fees beyond a Paypal transaction to sell higher end cards. COMC didnít make that attractive at all.

You completely dropped the ball here, COMC. Now I know why you dumped this on us on a Friday afternoon.
How would that be different from the junk dealer selling 2000 $1 cards and taking a $100 hit? Just the fact that it takes up less space?
scotthenrichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #133
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthenrichs View Post
How would that be different from the junk dealer selling 2000 $1 cards and taking a $100 hit? Just the fact that it takes up less space?
Itís a slight deterrent for people to send in a few thousand commons at once vs. selling a single $1k card.

If they were serious about wanting higher end product sold on site, this is the way to go with a regressive tax.
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #134
mjohnatgt

The deterrent for sending in 2,000 commons at once is the $600 processing fees, not a 5% surcharge when they sell. And people talking about cards being flipped 8 times from 50 cents to $10 are kind of missing the point. If there's that much meat on the bone, why are you only repricing from 50 cents to a dollar, or $2 to $3? Reprice from 50 cent to $8 and reap the rewards yourself.
As I continue to say, there are always way underpriced cards on site. Flippers who have been getting a free ride on COMC will need to modify their strategies. Why sell cards for 4 cents to someone who will reprice them at 6 cents? Reprice them at 74 cents instead and wait for them to sell on eBay/Amazon and you pocket 70 cents now instead of 4.
And for those that have $10K in store credit, congrats! Wait 14 months and it is now worth $9,000 cash instead of the $8,000 it currently is.
COMC is making themselves slightly more profitable and set up for future success. I'll get over it.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #135
mjohnatgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaga View Post
Yeah with these increased fees, please put some of the money towards a mobile site!!!
What does the current site do/not do that a mobile friendly site or app would? Scales just fine for me on my phone and tablet. Write up an actual list of improvements that make sense, and maybe they'll consider spending money to do it.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #136
thebrett

I think an app is totally worthless, what functionality would be added?
Old 11-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #137
dustin42

The change in fee stucture is just a way for them to make more profit. By charging the automatic fee you will no longer be able to use your store credit from selling for processing fees, storage fees, shipping, buying other cards, etc. without paying a commission fee. This was the biggest advantages of using their site to sell. Now that is gone.

This is simply a money grab and they will not use it for marketing as they have said they will in the past. The marketing and social media presence is pathetic. This is not going to make people send more high-end to them instead of selling themselves on eBay. Comc is only good for selling low-end or hard to move product that takes too much time to sell and ship by yourself.

I knew this change was coming and this is the main reason I quit being a large seller on the site. The long complicated post was meant to be like a banking agreement that is hard to understand how they are going to charge you more. They can spin it all they want but it is all about making more profit without offering any value to the customer.
dustin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #138
htn315

The buyers premium they add to eBay items are going to hurt your sales unless you lower your prices to account for that. I find it funny that they don't show that math in their long blog.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #139
Budler

A lot of figures and Scenarios have been thrown out there and it gets confusing. As stated by someone we all have to wait and see had it effects us. We have to wait nad if what effects us and how we need to adjust. Appears they are give a little but just moving the cost from here to there.

James
Do COMC ad a flier to each Amazon/e-bay package ask to join the COMC site. That would be a cheap way to get more people looking at COMC.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #140
bradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
What does the current site do/not do that a mobile friendly site or app would? Scales just fine for me on my phone and tablet. Write up an actual list of improvements that make sense, and maybe they'll consider spending money to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrett View Post
I think an app is totally worthless, what functionality would be added?
Pinching and zooming constantly is a miserable user experience when using a mobile device. In fact, it makes me not use the site.

As is having to login each time you visit the site.

Just curious, do you use eBay/Amazon just on your browser, or their app?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #141
Swipe79

I thought this was supposed to be happening no matter what - every eBay/Amazon package gets a flyer/business card with COMC information. If it hasn't been happening that is ridiculous.

They'll have to include a small pamphlet to cover all the fees now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budler View Post
A lot of figures and Scenarios have been thrown out there and it gets confusing. As stated by someone we all have to wait and see had it effects us. We have to wait nad if what effects us and how we need to adjust. Appears they are give a little but just moving the cost from here to there.

James
Do COMC ad a flier to each Amazon/e-bay package ask to join the COMC site. That would be a cheap way to get more people looking at COMC.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #142
OLDPAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
Itís a slight deterrent for people to send in a few thousand commons at once vs. selling a single $1k card.

If they were serious about wanting higher end product sold on site, this is the way to go with a regressive tax.
If you want less of something....tax it. They claim to want more higher dollar cards...funny way of showing it.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #143
dustin42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
I thought this was supposed to be happening no matter what - every eBay/Amazon package gets a flyer/business card with COMC information. If it hasn't been happening that is ridiculous.

They'll have to include a small pamphlet to cover all the fees now...
They can't put a flyer in the packages. That is against eBay and Amazon policy. All you can do is promote you eBay or Amazon store.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #144
Swipe79

As I'm working through what I want to do...my feeling is that anything priced over $50 is coming home to me.

I just don't feel like paying .60-$1.00 to process, paying storage fees, paying the enhanced security fee, paying 5% on a sale, and then another 10% if I want to cash out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDPAPER View Post
If you want less of something....tax it. They claim to want more higher dollar cards...funny way of showing it.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #145
Swipe79

Interesting - I've had a number of sellers include business cards that show their store site along with the eBay information and often include a discount code if I purchase directly from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin42 View Post
They can't put a flyer in the packages. That is against eBay and Amazon policy. All you can do is promote you eBay or Amazon store.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #146
COMC James
COMC verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budler View Post

James
Per those two platforms user agreements, we are not allowed to market COMC.com to buyers. Any other company that does so is breaking their user agreement.
COMC James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #147
dustin42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
Interesting - I've had a number of sellers include business cards that show their store site along with the eBay information and often include a discount code if I purchase directly from them.
They aren't suppose to and comc won't risk getting kicked off because they can't compete with ebay's market.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #148
Cavaliercards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin42 View Post
News to us based on packages we have received over the years

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #149
cjay101

I am a small fish in the game, but here are my initial reactions:

About once a year, I have sent ~500 cards to sell. I have in the past exclusively used that store credit to purchase things I wanted and avoided the outrageous 20% cash out. I never wanted to actively manage a port for a long time, so after a few months, would blow out the rest in a port, and ship my wanted/new cards home. Iíve done this for many years.

1) The cashout dropping to 10% is attractive to those wanted actual money
2) The fact that youíre paying a 5% fee on every sale means the cashout is actually reducing only 5% to 15%, youíre just getting hit earlier on 5% of it, REGARDLESS of if you plan to cash out to use that credit to actually buy more cards.
3) I have done some smaller flips over the years, they wonít be worth my time between battling other flippers and paying 5% off the top.
4) Given how little true negotiations take place on most port sales, those selling ports are going to get taxed hard. I would venture flippers will move more to buying entire ports vs individual cards.
5) This system will really stall out the low-end card sales. So many cards are bought and sold in ports and no one will ever ship them home. I would love to see how many cards on the site have sold iver and over and are complete junk. Youíll be better off donating them to the charity account so the 0.03 card can get repriced to $5 and never sell there.
6) Buyer-loading the fees on ebay and amazon is nice for the seller, but the shipping is already high on those singles - itís bound to turn off a percentage of buters.
7) I was excited to see there were changes taking place...then I read through the calculus and after using four doctorates from MIT, we were able to understand that is was a confusing mess for the layman.

In a nutshell, I feel the 5% tranaction tax destroys any gain from anything else that was done here, but enough was changed to make it a convoluted mess.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #150
no10pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliercards View Post
News to us based on packages we have received over the years
I get them from several sellers too, but it's hard to police. As mentioned above, I doubt COMC wants to risk the relationship if .1% of their eBay customers decide to report them.