Basketball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #51
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
This happens at EVERY card show, sport and non-sport alike, and likely any other collectable show. I will always buy from others at the show if I feel I can make a profit. Kinda silly to hold it against a dealer that he bought what he felt was undervalued in order to re-sell. I kinda miss Tony as he hasn't been to the Chicago show in many a year.
I realize that one dealer doesnt care who buys thier stuff, and the ither is just trying to make a profit. It's not good for the show attendance, and the showrunners would be smart to police that type of activity before the doors open.

Imagine a new hot product came out and one dealer bought all the other dealer's inventory, then jacked up the price because they were the only one at the show offering that product. May be a smart business idea, but not goid for the shows overall health.

The Philly show is dying...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #52
Igman7

If the "hot new product" was vastly underpriced, then another dealer would be a fool not to buy it. At the end of the day though, the buying dealer still needs to be able to sell it to be able to realize a profit. Dealers are setting up for these shows hours in advance of the doors opening and spend a good bit of time catching up with folks that they haven't seen in a while and doing a fair bit of business amongst themselves.

Nobody is locked in to buying anything at a show although non sport collectors (not to be confused with the folks that are just looking for "flipping" opportunities...about 80% of these are migrating from sport cards) come to these shows to spend money to fill out sets.

The running of the show is a business, the promoter needs to turn a profit as do the dealers who are set up. Any stifling of business on the show floor would likely cost the promoter future business from dealers. Remember, the dealers are traveling from a number of states to do these shows and that is awfully expensive. There is an incredible amount of product that has to be sold to cover expenses as well as the cost of goods.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #53
ifish73

If you see a fat guy wearing a baseball cap with an `H' on it that is me!

Make sure you say hi.

-Ian
Old 10-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #54
HiltonL

Dealer-to-dealer flipping occurs at EVERY con, particularly with regard to show exclusives.

The Funko fad has only made things worse and much more visible, as they get a couple hundred exclusives and they're usually sold out by the time the general public gets to the Funko booth.
The stampedes at Emerald City Comic Con and PAX West were impressive.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #55
daxwills

There is an annual video game convention I do behind the scenes crap for around here. One dealer buys a table, never sets up, just shows up before the show opens to buy up stuff from all the dealers and leaves before the show even officially starts. Talk to him every year. He does this at a lot of conventions apparently.
Now life has killed the dream, I dreamed
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #56
TKCards

Send a message via AIM to TKCards

It was great to see Ian again today and meet a few gentleman I hadn't met before. The show was a lot of fun for me. Picked up some great cards and promos too.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #57
dd316

Had another good time at the show. Won a Flash binder from Cryptozoic, and thanks Darthmauler for filling in a bunch of holes in my SW auto collection!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #58
nabzy28

Were there new set announcements or any upcoming set(s) on display?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #59
Darth Smittyous

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Cryptozoic was the only big manufacturer there, and on Saturday I only saw some sample sketches for the Arrow season 4 set.

It is a shame that Topps and Rittenhouse we not there. Come to think of it Breygent wasn't there either. It was odd that the promo pack they give you at the admission table just had a few cards in it, compared to usually being loaded. It seems the big boys are not supporting the show either physically or with promos. It would be interesting to know if something is going on behind the scenes, or if it is just something as simple as scheduling conflicts.

It is no wonder that the show was dedicated to Cryptozoic. It is great that they continually support the show, as they make it fun with the spin the wheel prizes, promo swaps, displays etc. Plus from my one collecting interests, aside from Star Wars and Game of Thrones, Cryptozoic makes the sets for the shows I watch (Flash, Arrow, Gotham, and Supergirl).

The Cryptozoic/Big Belly Burger dinner ended up being more fun than I thought it might... and it didn't hurt that I dumb lucked into winning the trivia contest and received a box of Flash season 1 plus binder.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #60
TKCards

Cryptozoic also debuted the new Supergirl trading cards that are slated for release in late December or January.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #61
BlueForTheVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCards View Post
Cryptozoic also debuted the new Supergirl trading cards that are slated for release in late December or January.
Glad to have a more narrowed down date! Anything else to say about this set for those who weren't there?
BlueForTheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #62
TKCards

George had examples of what the autos looked like. He had 5 or 6 on display. They were also selling these Limited Edition Supergirl sets for 29.95 and approximately 1 in 10 sets had an auto in them. My buddy Matt and I watched collectors open about 40 sets and none had autos in them. We jokingly figured they were loading them up for Sunday.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #63
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
George confirmed they are planning a Bombshells Series 2 due to the sets overwhelming popularity. He also confirmed the production on Bombshells was only 334 cases and is sold out at the distributor level. Not sure if it was okay to post that stuff so I won't dig myself into a deeper hole with more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Smittyous View Post
Cryptozoic was the only big manufacturer there, and on Saturday I only saw some sample sketches for the Arrow season 4 set.

It is a shame that Topps and Rittenhouse we not there. Come to think of it Breygent wasn't there either. It was odd that the promo pack they give you at the admission table just had a few cards in it, compared to usually being loaded. It seems the big boys are not supporting the show either physically or with promos. It would be interesting to know if something is going on behind the scenes, or if it is just something as simple as scheduling conflicts.

It is no wonder that the show was dedicated to Cryptozoic. It is great that they continually support the show, as they make it fun with the spin the wheel prizes, promo swaps, displays etc. Plus from my one collecting interests, aside from Star Wars and Game of Thrones, Cryptozoic makes the sets for the shows I watch (Flash, Arrow, Gotham, and Supergirl).

The Cryptozoic/Big Belly Burger dinner ended up being more fun than I thought it might... and it didn't hurt that I dumb lucked into winning the trivia contest and received a box of Flash season 1 plus binder.
I think I was the tie, button not positive. I know I got the which license only had one set question (I selected psych), but I'm not sure if I got the BBT correct. I listed the sets wrong in my head, but I think I landed in the correct number anyway. Guess we will never know.

I did not get any autos or the wardrobe in my supergirl sets on Sunday.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #64
TKCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Do you know of anyone that got an auto in their set?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 AM   #65
jjsmallvillelvr

Quote:
George confirmed they are planning a Bombshells Series 2 due to the sets overwhelming popularity. He also confirmed the production on Bombshells was only 334 cases and is sold out at the distributor level. Not sure if it was okay to post that stuff so I won't dig myself into a deeper hole with more details.

I think I was the tie, button not positive. I know I got the which license only had one set question (I selected psych), but I'm not sure if I got the BBT correct. I listed the sets wrong in my head, but I think I landed in the correct number anyway. Guess we will never know.

Psych had two sets

Quote:
There's a red tornado one on ebay.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #66
Spider-Fan

Quote:
No, but I'm only aware of the ones I opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmallvillelvr View Post
Psych had two sets
Yeah that's the one I know I got wrong...
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #67
Darth Smittyous

Quote:

I did think it was a little sketchy how the tie and winner were announced. It would have been fun to have a tie breaker question. The question that tripped me up was about the actor who had been in three different series.

In case you are wondering, there were no big hits in the Flash box, but it was fun for me to open. I really like the show and had only opened a box or two previously.

Add me to the list of no auto in the Supergirl pack. I only bought one so the odds were already against me.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #68
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Smittyous View Post
I did think it was a little sketchy how the tie and winner were announced. It would have been fun to have a tie breaker question. The question that tripped me up was about the actor who had been in three different series.

In case you are wondering, there were no big hits in the Flash box, but it was fun for me to open. I really like the show and had only opened a box or two previously.

Add me to the list of no auto in the Supergirl pack. I only bought one so the odds were already against me.
I honestly believe If that had consulted with George, he would have offered to provide another prize if one of the winners would be at the show on Sunday. Pure speculation, but they have been pretty generous and had plenty of stuff that would have made fine prizes.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #69
nickr1978

Quote:
I honestly believe If that had consulted with George, he would have offered to provide another prize if one of the winners would be at the show on Sunday. Pure speculation, but they have been pretty generous and had plenty of stuff that would have made fine prizes.
I pulled 2 autos from the Supergirl packs out of 4 packs I must have gotten really lucky
nickr1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #70
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickr1978 View Post
I pulled 2 autos from the Supergirl packs out of 4 packs I must have gotten really lucky
Ya think?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #71
sportsdude11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickr1978 View Post
Who were your 2 autos?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #72
reanimatedrogue

I bought one Supergirl pack and got a Dean Cain auto. Was pretty happy
reanimatedrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #73
TKCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimatedrogue View Post
I bought one Supergirl pack and got a Dean Cain auto. Was pretty happy
Did you buy it Saturday or Sunday?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #74
nickr1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude11 View Post
Who were your 2 autos?
Reactron and Red Tornado
Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #75
nickr1978

I left near the end of the show and the redemption for the show worn shirt was not pulled. Approx 75 packs unsold