Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
xbignick

Default Justice League

Wonder Woman and BvS were popular threads so I thought I'd make one for Justice League.

Reviews not looking great, ranging from bad to average at best. Apparently a lot of CGI and storyline problems.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Chuck Bartowski

Not surprising....I'm seeing it on Saturday but I'm going in with lower expectations.

Evidently Affleck looked like he wanted to be anywhere else than filming this movie through the whole thing. Given the rumors that he is trying to get out of playing Batman I tend to think his portrayal here is going to be pretty bad.

Last edited by Chuck Bartowski; 11-15-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Brobocop

At this point, it is what it is. If this movie can serve as a relaunching point for the DCEU then good. If it's another mess that is panned by critics and fans alike, I'm not sure what you do. It seems like most everyone agrees that they have the right people playing the right parts so I wouldn't want a hard reboot. Just a fresh injection of new behind the camera talent. People want to blame Snyder but there is enough blame to go around. Not like these scripts are lighting the world on fire.

I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst at this point.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
duwal

I really don't seem to have any desire to see this one. Finally brought myself to watch Batman vs. Superman just a couple months ago. Film is completely forgettable and really don't see this one being any different. Don't care about the Cyborg character and the best Flash is on the CW
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Chuck Bartowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
I really don't seem to have any desire to see this one. Finally brought myself to watch Batman vs. Superman just a couple months ago. Film is completely forgettable and really don't see this one being any different. Don't care about the Cyborg character and the best Flash is on the CW
Yeah...since The Flash on CW is really good it's hard for me to get excited by The Flash in this movie and future movies. I honestly think it was a mistake for them to separate the DCMU from the DCTVU. Of course given the multiverse on Arrowverse these universes could meet at some point. I mean Cisco has access to all earths and The Flash can potentially access any earth so maybe but I doubt it...I think they've even said they are going to keep the movies separate of the TV series.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
natbornkiller

avengers had a slow build up to it
jla kind of seems thrown together no real build
Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
chrisfaceoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
This.

DC is still trying to play catch up to Marvel, but honestly they wont.

Unfortunately aside from The Dark Knight trilogy, and Wonder Woman, all their films have had a negative response. They are pretty much throwing Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg in without even establishing their backstories and get you invested in these characters which is a terrible mistake. All the studio sees is the dollar signs Marvel keeps bringing in, but they have stuck to their formula.

DC is making it up as they go along trying to find the fastest route. By only providing those 30 second file viginettes of the teams making up justice league isn't enough. Doing a quick 5 minute backstory(if they even do that) in justice league isn't enough.

There is no reason these movies cant be as successful both in terms of revenue to the studio and DC, and for the fans and moviegoers, but they need to just accept the fact this race is lost with Marvel. Conceding that is the best thing this studio can do. Find a formula that works(or copy it from Marvel even) and stick to it. The buildup alone amplifies the payoff at the end.

https://www.ebay.com/str/faceoffsportscards
chrisfaceoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
IndySportsCards

The problem is the Villain and threat to the Heroes. It just does not work. It didn't work in Superman vs Batman, it didn't work in Suicide Squad, it's not going to work here.

The need a credible, believable threat otherwise viewers just don't care. Even if we like the main characters, and trust me, I love that Wonder Woman!!! We just can't get behind them like we should if we don't believe they are threatened and are actually saving anything.

They are not creating any sort of emotional tie, or giving us a real reason to root for them, and ultimately that's why this movie, like the others I mentioned, will fail.

They are not making good films, they are capitalizing on decades old characters to get butts in seats and it's not quality entertainment.

Did I mention that Wonder Woman is a hottie?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
IndySportsCards

I hear you can talk to Fish.. LOL.. ERMERGERD Bennie! Not like anyone has ever heard this before. Brilliant. Classic!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
Brobocop

To be fair, most of the Marvel movie villains have been incredibly one note and forgettable.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
MC80_LCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
Yeah...since The Flash on CW is really good it's hard for me to get excited by The Flash in this movie and future movies. I honestly think it was a mistake for them to separate the DCMU from the DCTVU. Of course given the multiverse on Arrowverse these universes could meet at some point. I mean Cisco has access to all earths and The Flash can potentially access any earth so maybe but I doubt it...I think they've even said they are going to keep the movies separate of the TV series.
Pretty much every review I've seen says The Flash is the best part of the movie. I wonder how people attached to the CW Flash will view him.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
Bryanjs14
Banned

Movie was a mess. You can def tell its the byproduct of two directors, and a studio who forced them to cut it down below 2 hours. It jumps around a LOT. Honestly all 3 of the new League members are good and I am looking forward to their solo films. The film has absolutely zero comedy save for a few lines from Flash. Stay till the very very end for what may be the best part of the whole movie. Better than BvS, Better than Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman is still the best DC movie hands down.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #13
Tones

Personally a Marvel fan, still haven't seen the new Thor yet though... day off tomorrow so might just go see 'em both
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
chrisfaceoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones View Post
Personally a Marvel fan, still haven't seen the new Thor yet though... day off tomorrow so might just go see 'em both
That sounds like a solid day!

As for what I thought of the movie..

It was.....ok...

I was expecting worse, but it was better than I thought but thats still not saying much. Some of Flash's jokes were fantastic, others fell flat for me. They tried to have some other comedic moments with characters but it was forced.

The end does absolutely rule though like someone said earlier.

Whoever goes to see this movie or has seen it think about the bad guys that fly around and the movie Wreck it Ralph. To me I just kept thinking of it as a live action version of the game Ralph went in to get a gold medal before letting them through to all the other games. haha

5.5/10 some parts are fun, but ultimately forgettable in the long run.

https://www.ebay.com/str/faceoffsportscards
chrisfaceoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
fulltritty

My wife bought us tickets for Monday to go see it. Sounds like I will be as disappointed as I was after Batman vs. Superman and it is nowhere near as good as Wonder Woman was. Marvel rules!
fulltritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #16
Ray27Ray52

I'm taking my son to see it tomorrow with my buddy and his kids. I'm not expecting anything good. It would have to be really bad to surpass Batman V Superman, which is easily in the top 5 worst movies I have ever seen.
Ray27Ray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
Clarka3

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
this. rushing to catch up rather than build it properly.

i can't remember where i saw it, but somebody mentioned that DC should have started with a Flash movie, and made him the "Iron Man" character Marvel made to kick off the MCU and have Flash be that character that started things, and tied the other character movies together.

problem is, i think DC just wasted probably the best Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman actors (and i guess i could throw Aquaman in there because that actor is a beast in other stuff) so if they fumble here, they will have a helluva time finding other actors if/when they decide to reboot and do it "right".

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #18
Dielon

Superhero movies have really jumped the shark. I havent seen a really brilliant one since...I cant remember. Too many that blur together
Old 11-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
majestik101

Wife and I saw it last night. I didn't particularly care for it. She thought it was meh, ok. But neither of us were very impressed. Boring, repetitive, not very original and largely forgettable is how I would describe it. Oh and LOUD. I don't know why theaters need to turn up the volume so high to uncomfortable levels. Save your $$
Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
xbignick

Just got out, wasn't terrible but wasn't great. Very generic in we need to get together and SPOILER didn't like the timing of the Superman return. SPOILER. The villian was forgettable and actually never got a chance to really do anything. They underused Flash IMO, basically used to save people the entire time.

My favorite scene is the one at Themyscira, best of the movie.

Last edited by xbignick; 11-17-2017 at 05:49 PM.
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
TheFrenzy

Saw it last night. It only made me love Thor:Ragnarok more.

[NO SPOILERS]

- I've played video games with better CGI than most of the scenes in this movie.

- On that note, the first scene with Batman is very much in the style of Sky Captain and the World to Tomorrow which could have been an interesting style to make the movie in, but soon we leave the "soft" palette and move quickly into the "poorly rendered."

- If you have a hero who can move with super speed, you do one of two things: You either film in real time and have the character vanish and reappear or you slow time down and show them moving at a fairly normal speed. What you do NOT do is film in real time but move the camera super fast along with the hero. That part of the first Wonder Woman scene made her look like a cartoon.

- If you're super powerful magic item is called something as ridiculous as a "mother box," you do yourself a favor and only mention it when absolutely necessary. You don't have every one of your characters say it repeatedly in every scene.

- For about 20 minutes the film is an incredibly compelling take on the classic "Frankenstein" tale as the group discusses the ethics of resurrection. In my opinion, the studio should have scrapped the villain altogether and made this film completely about bringing back Supes and the Justice League having to work together to contain and rehabilitate a "dark" Superman. Would have definitely played into the whole "dark and morally-conflicted" ethos DC has tried to go with.

- Several scenes end in such a way that you sense that the actors were expected to improvise their last line, but no one bothered to tell the actors that. So instead, we have completely serious moments that conclude with things like "Look at you go!" and "Boo yah" and "My man!" It was......odd. The cinematic version of the missed handshake/fist bump.

- Ezra Miller's "Flash" steals the show. The only real bright spot in the film. I mean, we basically saw the exact same character in Marvel's Spider-Man Homecoming, but it's still always a fun type of character to watch.

- One of the big things I took away from this movie is just how ground-breaking Marvel's films have been and how many now-common tropes they pioneered. When this, or any other movie, features a mysterious figure say they "are putting together a team." It doesn't feel like a cheap ripoff. It feels just as natural and expected as a movie cop getting into danger on his last day before retirement or a girl tripping as she runs from a killer.

- Underwater fighting is just as boring as you imagine it to be.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Vintage Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
Not surprising....I'm seeing it on Saturday but I'm going in with lower expectations.

Evidently Affleck looked like he wanted to be anywhere else than filming this movie through the whole thing. Given the rumors that he is trying to get out of playing Batman I tend to think his portrayal here is going to be pretty bad.
Affleck stinks anyway. Worst batman ever.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #23
majestik101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
Affleck stinks anyway. Worst batman ever.
This, 1000x this. He truly is awful in the role. Every time I saw him, I was like, hey that's Ben Affleck in a Batman suit. Not once do I buy him as Batman. He's the worst.

But, (disclaimer) I am also in the minority who thinks Val Kilmer's portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne was the best, so...
Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
briscogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfaceoff View Post
This.

DC is still trying to play catch up to Marvel, but honestly they wont.

Unfortunately aside from The Dark Knight trilogy, and Wonder Woman, all their films have had a negative response. They are pretty much throwing Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg in without even establishing their backstories and get you invested in these characters which is a terrible mistake. All the studio sees is the dollar signs Marvel keeps bringing in, but they have stuck to their formula.

DC is making it up as they go along trying to find the fastest route. By only providing those 30 second file viginettes of the teams making up justice league isn't enough. Doing a quick 5 minute backstory(if they even do that) in justice league isn't enough.

There is no reason these movies cant be as successful both in terms of revenue to the studio and DC, and for the fans and moviegoers, but they need to just accept the fact this race is lost with Marvel. Conceding that is the best thing this studio can do. Find a formula that works(or copy it from Marvel even) and stick to it. The buildup alone amplifies the payoff at the end.
This is spot on. I'm not sure if DC is just not smart or if they are purposefully staying away from the Marvel formula so they aren't seen as capitalizing on it, but the way they have gone about it is very poor. The only character they have handled with any deftness is Wonder Woman.

The villains have all been awful: Zod and Lex specifically. Ares was pretty good in WW. Doomsday was a good one, too, I'll give them that. But the character development has been so poor. Unfortunately, the Marvel formula is what gets fans excited about seeing an ensemble movie. You get to know each character independently and then when you put them all together its exciting. They kind of skipped all that and went to the class photo almost right out of the gate and no one even knows these characters so no one really cares. I don't know Cyborg or Flash, I'm not going to be upset if they buy the farm on this one.

I'm going to go see Thor while everyone else is watching JL...
"I see great things in baseball. It's our game--the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us." -Walt Whitman
briscogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #25
Brobocop

Just got home, loved it. I'm in the camp that loves BvS so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Really liked the end credits stinger. Makes me look forward to whatever is coming down the pipe assuming this makes enough money which, going by forecasts, may not be as much as DC/WB would like. Sucks, they cast the roles so well and the actors are doing whatever they can, but they just can't build a consistent world around them. This is showing why having a person like Kevin Feige is so important. Someone who has a vision and knows what the people want to see.