Blowout Cards Forums
2017 Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
InHiddenCamo

Default Need help getting rid of base cards

If anyone has any info on where I can sell my base cards please let me know , as I have so many from opening boxes the last year it just takes up too much space.

mainly 2012-current

with some 2000,2005-2010
Old 04-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
bojesphob

Most of the time you won't get much. I typically donate my base to either my local Children's Hospital or a fellow collector who is a special needs teacher for autistic kids that uses football cards to help his students.
http://www.bojesphob.com/viewcollection.aspx
bojesphob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
packman80

Agree on Childrens Hospital. Back last summer I was in a bunch of Packers Bowman breaks and ended up with a couple hundred base that that I did not want. Called Childrens Hospital and was told the kids LOVE those card and they are a fun and easy thing to give away. I put them in a small USPS flat rate box and sent them in. Plus you can then claim a tax deduction on the cards.

http://s445.photobucket.com/user/GBP4EVER/library/Packers%20Collectables?sort=3&page=1
packman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
jarrodsalas

From time to time there are buyers on here looking for medium flat rate boxes of base/inserts. I think they usually offer 25-28 per box.
jarrodsalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
gorillaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman80 View Post
Agree on Childrens Hospital. Back last summer I was in a bunch of Packers Bowman breaks and ended up with a couple hundred base that that I did not want. Called Childrens Hospital and was told the kids LOVE those card and they are a fun and easy thing to give away. I put them in a small USPS flat rate box and sent them in. Plus you can then claim a tax deduction on the cards.
this...................
Old 04-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
usafshelland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaz View Post
this...................
+2... you be surprised that a shoebox of cards is worth like $500 in tax deduction. I itemized every card donated and used Beckett BV as my quantifier.
usafshelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
esoxwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafshelland View Post
+2... you be surprised that a shoebox of cards is worth like $500 in tax deduction. I itemized every card donated and used Beckett BV as my quantifier.
Do you believe Beckett to be an accurate source of value for those cards? Do you believe you could have (with a little effort) sold the same box of cards for $500 cash? If you answer is "no" to either of these, then you are in for a fun ride when the IRS audits your return.
esoxwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Jackg1980

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxwaters View Post
Do you believe Beckett to be an accurate source of value for those cards? Do you believe you could have (with a little effort) sold the same box of cards for $500 cash? If you answer is "no" to either of these, then you are in for a fun ride when the IRS audits your return.
IRS has to prove that he cant sell them. They are not going to waste hundreds of man hours going thru every card to for 500$.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
studioU
Banned

Quote:
Come on man!

To the OP, donating is the fastest and most rewarding way. But at a point they won't take anymore at the one location. I donate about 1000 base inserts per year to a local hospital and they asked me to keep the donation at that because they can't handle the clutter. I usually make 2 donations of 500 cards each. Everything else I sell on eBay as "Complete your set" lots. If you have at least 200-300 of the same set then lots of 10 sell pretty well.
studioU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
esoxwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
IRS has to prove that he cant sell them. They are not going to waste hundreds of man hours going thru every card to for 500$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioU View Post
Come on man!
Honestly, I'm just tired of listening to people on this forum advocate for and brag about tax fraud. Unless you actually believe that box of cards to be worth $500 (in which case you are either delusional or a Beckett employee) you are misrepresenting the value of the donation, which is fraud plain and simple. The OP was looking for advise, so I felt inclined to point out that bad advice was given.

Will he get caught or prosecuted by the IRS if he does this? Probably not.

Is this sort of behavior penny wise and pound foolish? Absolutely.

Also OP, if you live in a larger market try listing them on Craigslist. I know a few people have had good success doing this with newer base cards that are reasonably priced.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Grza

Quote:
Originally Posted by InHiddenCamo View Post
If anyone has any info on where I can sell my base cards please let me know , as I have so many from opening boxes the last year it just takes up too much space.

mainly 2012-current

with some 2000,2005-2010
Recycling bin. Quick and easy.
Grza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #12
ricksam

trade some?
division / teams / players

use em as fillers when u ship sales/trades

halloween, birthday gifts

that's all i got

ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #13
rttrffg2012

Quote:
Is this sort of behavior penny wise and pound foolish? Absolutely.
I haven't heard that in a LONG TIME!!!
rttrffg2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #14
Brafcauknid

I actually had a yard sale last summer and piled boxes upon boxes of base and had a guy give me $400 for it all. I was pretty happy and suprised I got that much for them, I figured I'd be packing them back into the storage shed after the yard sale was over.
Brafcauknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
megadethjason

im interested in some if you want to part with them
megadethjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #16
pejc300

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafshelland View Post
Stay classy.
pejc300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
JosieD

Quote:
I don't understand why the Beckett value wouldn't be eligible in this case? This is a verifiable number he can use for tax purposes. Utilizing average ebay sold value wouldn't hold up on his taxes. It's still utilized by some old school collectors and some people use it for trade value.

I could easily sell the clothes I donate for more than the claimed value. I donate them instead because it is the right thing to do.
2017 sold: 106
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #18
cyndeeg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brafcauknid View Post
I actually had a yard sale last summer and piled boxes upon boxes of base and had a guy give me $400 for it all. I was pretty happy and suprised I got that much for them, I figured I'd be packing them back into the storage shed after the yard sale was over.
That's a brilliant idea. I typically give mine away in some capacity. Not a bad idea to just throw the base and some shiny refractors in 5K boxes, wait till they inevitably stack up, sell at your (or friends) yards sale for a nice chunk of change and feel good about it, because it's not crap, but it's work!
cyndeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
esoxwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieD View Post
I don't understand why the Beckett value wouldn't be eligible in this case? This is a verifiable number he can use for tax purposes. Utilizing average ebay sold value wouldn't hold up on his taxes. It's still utilized by some old school collectors and some people use it for trade value.
Per IRS publication 561 "Determining the Value of Donated Property":
"Publications available to help you determine the value of many kinds of collections include catalogs, dealers’ price lists, and specialized hobby periodicals. When using one of these price guides, you must use the current edition at the date of contribution. However, these sources are not always reliable indicators of FMV (Fair Market Value) and should be supported by other evidence."

I think we can all agree that Beckett is not reliable source when it comes to pricing a box full of base cards and that there is no other evidence to support a value of $500 on that box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieD View Post
I donate them instead because it is the right thing to do.
Exactly my sentiments and I commend you for doing so. I would hope that anyone who donates their cards does so out of the goodness of their heart and not for the tax write-off. This is not to say you shouldn't claim some value for them but I take issue when people promote blatant abuse of the system.