Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bowman draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > The National Sports Collectors Convention

Notices

The National Sports Collectors Convention This is a seasonal forum that will run from about April through August each year.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Bowman1951

Default I had to start a thread.....Cedar Point!

While others visiting the area for the first time are headed to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame or Football Hall of Fame in Canton......my buddy and I are taking a day of our vacation to hit up Cedar Point. We are using Friday for the park and going to The National on Saturday because I think it's better we avoid long lines waiting for roller coasters than some cardboard.

Locals, got any tips and tricks? Feel free to rank your favorite rides, coasters and non-coasters. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos but I'd also love to hear from those that have been many times.

I've also already pre-ordered my tickets online to save about $15 on each and we are looking into the All Day Dining Pass to share, which runs about $30 and you can get something new every 90 minutes. If you've ever used this, I'd love to hear more about it and the best places to eat with it.

So strategies, what to definitely do and to avoid, things of that nature. I can't be the only person going here while in the Cleveland area (it's about an hour from the I-X Center). We have a 10 hour road trip each way so looking to make the best use of our time, can't wait for either place so I can feel like I'm 13 years old again!
Bowman1951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
IndySportsCards

Hope you like Roller Coasters
Old 07-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
flyboy

Get there EARLY! Ride the bigger ones first since it’ll get busier throughout the day obviously. Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, Gate Keeper, Valrvn and Raptor are top coasters. I’ve never done the food plan so I wouldn’t know how that works, but sounds like a decent offer if you’ll be using it all day. I’d suggest bringing plenty of water (yes, you can bring it in), sun screen, an extra change of clothes and shoes (or at least just a shirt) in case it’s a warm day. You can go out to your car and get back in if you need (make sure you get your hand stamped).
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
redsandbengals

I've been on the Millennium Force several times. IMO best coaster there.
redsandbengals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
JacobCYE

If you get there in the morning when the park opens head to the big rides in the back of the park first. They will have shorter lines early as everyone jumps into the up front lines like Raptor.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
RollTribe

Millennium Force is the best roller coaster I've ever ridden!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
fatjacksonfan

Go to the back of the park right away. I'd recommend going on the Millennium Force or Maverick first since those are the longest lines and my Top 2 favorites. I'd also do the GateKeeper, Top Thrill Dragster, and the Raptor rest is up to you. I got no advice for food. We usually eat before we go there. Have fun!
fatjacksonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
hohlernr

As others have said, go to the back first. Start with Steel Vengence or Maverick.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
AlabamaSlamma

I am an unabashed coaster nerd and Millennium Force is the best coaster I've ever experienced.

https://610sportscards.smugmug.com/The-Collection
IG: @610sportscards
AlabamaSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
Bowman1951

Thanks everyone! Yes, the plan is to head to the back of the park and get there right when it opens at 10 AM. MF and Maverick will be hit first...

I also got advice elsewhere yesterday to get the parking pass in advance to save another $5 (well $4 including the processing fee).
Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlamma View Post
I am an unabashed coaster nerd and Millennium Force is the best coaster I've ever experienced.
Ever been on El Toro at Six Flags in NJ? That still tops my greatest list. Let's see if MF outdoes it.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
AlabamaSlamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
Ever been on El Toro at Six Flags in NJ? That still tops my greatest list. Let's see if MF outdoes it.
I have. Great ride, but I was never a huge fan of the rickety old woodies.

You'll need multiple trips down MF to figure out what the hell is happening, cause as soon as you hit the 45 degree, cable pulley-powered lift hill, your mind won't know what to think.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Have you ever been on the intimidator 305 at kings dominion va or the fury 325 at carowinds nc/sc border? Absolutely amazing rides
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
AlabamaSlamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFaulkCollector View Post
Have you ever been on the intimidator 305 at kings dominion va or the fury 325 at carowinds nc/sc border? Absolutely amazing rides
Yes to Fury 325. It was incredible, and I was definitely blown away. It had all the great things you'd expect of a big time coaster, but the flow of the ride was unlike anything I've been on before. None of the elements felt 'cookie cutter,' which is almost impossible to come by these days. Job well done by Carowinds/B&M.

Unfortunately no on Intimidator, which is made even worse by the fact I live only about 90 min away from Doswell. It's been forever since I made a trek to KD, so I'm long overdue for a visit.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Yes to Fury 325. It was incredible, and I was definitely blown away. It had all the great things you'd expect of a big time coaster, but the flow of the ride was unlike anything I've been on before. None of the elements felt 'cookie cutter,' which is almost impossible to come by these days. Job well done by Carowinds/B&M.

Unfortunately no on Intimidator, which is made even worse by the fact I live only about 90 min away from Doswell. It's been forever since I made a trek to KD, so I'm long overdue for a visit.
The fury 325 is my favorite rollercoaster. Like you said itís super unique and I absolutely love the green beehive theme. I havenít been to cedar point in years. The last and only time I was there I believe the magnum xl was among the top 5 coasters in the United States.

I would love to ride the millennium force... although it seems pretty straight; being right off one of the Great Lakes has to be an amazing site. Rides like kingda Ka and top thrill dragster seem cool but I wouldnít treat them as true rollercoasters.

Intimidator 305 is a nasty ride.... you get to almost a 90 degree slope maybe 100 yards off the first hill. Itís meant to simulate the elevated turns of a race track and at 90 plus mph they do it very well. Since you live close by go when kids are in school on a Friday. I rode that thing like 5 times in an hour. Itís definitely worth the trip; hell maybe the volcano will even be open, itís been down part of the day all 4-5 times Iíve been there
Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #16
AlabamaSlamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFaulkCollector View Post
hell maybe the volcano will even be open, itís been down part of the day all 4-5 times Iíve been there
Ha! My last KD visit was roughly 15 years ago, and Volcano was closed all day. What a disaster of a coaster.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #17
hohlernr

You might want to look at buying a Fast Lane pass. Looks like is $110 for the day you're going. It's a high price, but will greatly increase the amount of rides you will ride.