Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #276
jdhaugh11

I believe that in a set like this that each signs base auto #/40 should at least be worth $75-$100, if not then they don't belong.
Basically if their 1/1 auto is not worth what the average cost of $250, then they are far from a top 40 signer.
Billy Dee Williams should be one of the lower 5 people.
Not to say he is a low end signer, just lower of the top end actors based on the number he has signed over the years.
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #277
ForceChange77

If Topps really wanted to produce a super high end set, they would limit to like 15 or 20. But 40 sounds a lot better and they can charge double if they said 40 signers instead of 20.

There was always going to be lower end signers in this product, because there aren't 40 high end signers in the Star Wars Universe.

Right now for me, the least desirable cards are Taylor (Kenobi), Lanter (anakin), Wood (grievous). I'm not sure if Tom Baker is going to be that great, he's character was eh in Rebels and was a pretty minor one really.
ForceChange77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #278
hobbystuff

There are 40 high-end signers in the Star Wars Universe but they can't get all 40.Here are the 40-43 best I think, not in any particular order(*a few will need to be cut autos).Might have missed a few also cause I came up with this list in 5 minutes.

HARRISON FORD
CARRIE FISHER*
MARK HAMILLL
DAISY RIDLEY
JOHN BOYEGA
ADAM DRIVER
IAN MCDIARMID
LIAM NEESON
HAYDEN CHRISTENSON
NATALIE PORTMAN
EWAN McGregor
ANTHONY DANIELS
SAMUEL L JACKSON
CHRISTOPHER LEE*
OSCAR ISAAC
FRANK OZ
JOHN WILLIAMS
GEORGE LUCAS
STEVEN SPIELBERG
JEJ
KENNY BAKER*
ALEC GUINESS*
PETER CUSHING*
RIZ AHMED
PETER MAYHEW
BILLY DEE WILLIAMS
DAVID PROWSE
GWENDOLINE CHRISTIE
RAY PARK
JEREMY BULLOCH
WARWICK DAVIS
ANDY SERKIS
SIMON PEGG
KEIRA KNIGHTEY
FOREST WHITAKER
FELICITY JONES
IRVIN KERSHNER*
DONNIE YEN
SJP
FREDDIE PRINCE
JIMMY SMITS
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #279
daxwills

^ very cool list, but with a list like that (and Iíll just pretend they would all sign and enough cut wigs could be located) youíd have a 25k product. Upper deck did something like that with athletes and you got 1 redemption per box for something nuts (one redemption was for Michael Jordanís golf cart I think). If they did that, eh I could see it. Problem being I donít see some of them signing. Iím firmly in the ďPortman will never be in a set unless sheís a cut autoĒ camp.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #280
Niz Noz

Considering the dedication collectors have towards their hobby, itís sad that Topps doesnít appear to have the same in developing their product. That would have been a list worthy of dedicated enthusiasts on both sides.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #281
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niz Noz View Post
Considering the dedication collectors have towards their hobby, itís sad that Topps doesnít appear to have the same in developing their product. That would have been a list worthy of dedicated enthusiasts on both sides.
The only way collectors would get a product like that is vote with your wallet and boycott other releases. But letís be realistic, Star Wars sells, group breakers and case breakers are where most of the money is at, if they make money topps makes money and there is no reason to improve the products.

With this release, if youíre missing most of these autos for your collection and the price tag isnít budget busting, cool. As it stands, Iíll track down a phasma auto for my friends phasma collection and call it a day.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #282
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
The only way collectors would get a product like that is vote with your wallet and boycott other releases. But letís be realistic, Star Wars sells, group breakers and case breakers are where most of the money is at, if they make money topps makes money and there is no reason to improve the products.

With this release, if youíre missing most of these autos for your collection and the price tag isnít budget busting, cool. As it stands, Iíll track down a phasma auto for my friends phasma collection and call it a day.
Christie is probably in 4 sets this year, maybe 5 and she'll be in more next year.

Look at how people jumped at Jun Sato from GFR when he was /30 on base autos and paid way too much on ebay, yet he sells for like $10 now from JTTLJ. Silly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #283
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Christie is probably in 4 sets this year, maybe 5 and she'll be in more next year.

Look at how people jumped at Jun Sato from GFR when he was /30 on base autos and paid way too much on ebay, yet he sells for like $10 now from JTTLJ. Silly.

Oh I have no doubt Iíll overpay to get her the phasma auto, but she wonít care. First auto, on card, for a dedicated focus collector sheíll pay the premium. Patience is always key. Iíve literally saved a few thousand on my Star Trek autos by waiting. This isnít really any different for the new characters.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #284
Vargaman

Quote:
Oh I have no doubt Iíll overpay to get her the phasma auto, but she wonít care. First auto, on card, for a dedicated focus collector sheíll pay the premium. Patience is always key. Iíve literally saved a few thousand on my Star Trek autos by waiting. This isnít really any different for the new characters.
I don't remember, is mw3 or stellar released first?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #285
daxwills

Quote:
I don't remember, is mw3 or stellar released first?

Honestly I forget. Also they move dates so much I think mw2 was delayed last year. Itís really weird to release both high ends plus the last Jedi all on top of each other. At least last Jedi is a normal release but youíd think putting two very expensive products against each other near Christmas wouldnít be ideal. Maybe it is. I donít know jack about marketing lol. Apple is releasing its super expensive iPhone so maybe it is the right time of year to put this stuff out.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #286
jamesr

Quote:
Honestly I forget. Also they move dates so much I think mw2 was delayed last year. Itís really weird to release both high ends plus the last Jedi all on top of each other. At least last Jedi is a normal release but youíd think putting two very expensive products against each other near Christmas wouldnít be ideal. Maybe it is. I donít know jack about marketing lol. Apple is releasing its super expensive iPhone so maybe it is the right time of year to put this stuff out.
And there's Hi Tek 3 too ... could be a buyer's market with all these releases and only so many collectors to go round.
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #287
oldgoldy97

I’d say add Tom Baker to that list, too.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #288
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
And there's Hi Tek 3 too ... could be a buyer's market with all these releases and only so many collectors to go round.
Plus whenever black and white releases. With that much product, yep definitely some bargains will be found by savvy collectors with an open eye. Does that mean youíll find a Harrison ford auto for 50 bucks, of course not. Could you find a few cool gems in there at great prices, absolutely.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #289
moistpaper

All of these SW sets are just blurring into one giant mass for me...very hard to see the difference between any of them at all. Often it feels like Topps is dangling bait on a string for people to run after the same old stuff. But I suppose if one is not intent on collecting sets, but individual autos, there are just plenty of options now.

Last edited by moistpaper; 10-23-2017 at 06:21 PM.
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #290
Vargaman

Any chance of Irvin Kershner autos making it into this set?

Or do I recall something about Disney not using deceased actors autos, prior to the acquisition?

Old 10-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #291
jdhaugh11

I think Cut autos are a thing of the past.
We will only see sticker autos that Topps got prior to someone passing.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #292
joudenjouden

Quote:
Any chance of Irvin Kershner autos making it into this set?

Or do I recall something about Disney not using deceased actors autos, prior to the acquisition?

Cut autos are a definite no by Disney, unfortunately... they don't want to risk having inserted forged autographs in a licensed product.
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #293
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
Cut autos are a definite no by Disney, unfortunately...
Where has this been stated?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:21 AM   #294
arek

Topps mentioned it on Facebook or during the fan q&a
arek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #295
Vargaman

Is there a final release date for Stellar? The upcoming Star Wars releases are all sandwiched together for Q4

11/08/17 2017 Topps Star Wars Masterwork
11/22/17 2017 Topps Star Wars High Tek
12/20/17 2017 Topps Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Late 2017 2017 Topps Star Wars Stellar Signatures

And we also just had the Rebels On Demand set just a few days ago!

Old 10-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #296
DarthRogahn

Quote:
Is there a final release date for Stellar? The upcoming Star Wars releases are all sandwiched together for Q4

11/08/17 2017 Topps Star Wars Masterwork
11/22/17 2017 Topps Star Wars High Tek
12/20/17 2017 Topps Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Late 2017 2017 Topps Star Wars Stellar Signatures

And we also just had the Rebels On Demand set just a few days ago!
Really curious how this impacts market / which ones people pick and chose / etc... All 4 seem to have more + than -
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #297
Bryanjs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRogahn View Post
Really curious how this impacts market / which ones people pick and chose / etc... All 4 seem to have more + than -
IMO in this order:

Stellar -- All On Card and super high end
Masterworks -- Depends on the Sketches IMO
Last Jedi -- Depends on the auto checklist and new signers. If no one that great new, then switch this to 4
Tek -- Think this will be the least desirable of the 4 releases, unless Last Jedi doesn't have the best auto checklist, then move it to 3
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #298
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRogahn View Post
Well if you look at them all, I'm sure the signer lists for Stellar/MW3/Tek 3 will have a decent amount of overlap. Also, all 3 of those are high end sets with on-card autos.

This is a whole new level of over-saturation so I'm really curious come 12/1 where some of these prices will be and how this may effect the values of Stellar sigs.

Rebels On Demand already stole SMG and the 5th brother guy from being first time signers for MW3.

I'm really curious who, if anyone, will be skipped in MW3 and show up only in Tek3, they've had very similar checklists in the past. And if anyone will be a signer for ONLY Stellar. I could easily see Tim Curry being in MW3 or Tek3.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #299
jdhaugh11

Well the Topps way is to have a person sign for several products. They might only have them for a year or 2, but they will pump them out for every product they can.

Just look at baseball with Ichiro and Omar Vizquel. Their autos were big money at first, but then Topps kept putting more and more of their autos out. Ichiro is still a nice auto to get, but not the $1,000+ auto it used to be.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #300
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
Well the Topps way is to have a person sign for several products. They might only have them for a year or 2, but they will pump them out for every product they can.

Just look at baseball with Ichiro and Omar Vizquel. Their autos were big money at first, but then Topps kept putting more and more of their autos out. Ichiro is still a nice auto to get, but not the $1,000+ auto it used to be.
It is the strategy I am having with Ridley and Jones. I figure over time, I will more choices on which card to pick up and they will fall in price.
Scottish Punk is online now   Reply With Quote