Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #201
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Literally every single name on that list so far, if you hit a /5 parallel and you aren't an idiot and in a rush to sell, will get you over $250. There should be 2 per box. Then move up a parallel and you have 10-15 names on that list that will get you back your buy in. There should be 4 of those per box. Even at the base autograph level, I see at least 7-10 names on that list that will comfortably get you back buy in easily.
So 16 out of 40 should get you a ROI. I see what you're saying where a good amount of breaker buy-ins will do well versus almost everything else.

I know this is only based on the names shown, and adding Ford, Hamill, etc., will increase that ROI percentage. But adding Rose, Colley, etc., will not. I guess that remains to be seen.

I'm doing my best to understand the pros to this set at the cost, I really am. It's hard for me to grasp which is why I'm questioning everything. For a set of this magnitude, I don't think that's unreasonable. I'll leave the "simple numbers" to the big spenders, because I'm obviously not wealthy enough to do maths.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #202
Eissacs

John Boyega is confirmed for this set.
Eissacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #203
jamesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
So 16 out of 40 should get you a ROI. I see what you're saying where a good amount of breaker buy-ins will do well versus almost everything else.

I know this is only based on the names shown, and adding Ford, Hamill, etc., will increase that ROI percentage. But adding Rose, Colley, etc., will not. I guess that remains to be seen.

I'm doing my best to understand the pros to this set at the cost, I really am. It's hard for me to grasp which is why I'm questioning everything. For a set of this magnitude, I don't think that's unreasonable. I'll leave the "simple numbers" to the big spenders, because I'm obviously not wealthy enough to do maths.
Ted, I agree with you in that I'm having a hard time with the numbers / ROI. I can see the argument that an individual box could have a good return, if you play it right. But where I struggle is, will ALL boxes be able to get see that return? I guess it depends on how many are sold direct to collectors (I.e. Never seeing the secondary market), how many are group breaks, and how many are purely for resell. There are 4,000 autographs coming, if half are "big ticket" cards that's 2,000 such cards ... are there seriously enough buyer's out there for that many cards?

I guess only time will tell ...

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
jamesr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:04 AM   #204
xtwinstarx

Well, compare this to Steven Stanton for example, his video says he did 700 autos for MW16. Now consider how many signers did that many for the set. That's a lot of autos, in a magnitude of over 10x of this set. I'm hard pressed to think that a run of 100 sets will be flooding the market. Then there is the matter of owning a card from something that we all know is a short run. I am in a few breaks, but I am looking mostly for signers I don't own. There will be tough choices to be made when you put base auto of signer X vs 1/1 of signer Y. I would say every card in the set should be a $200 minimum. Sure people can get a Tim Rose literally anywhere, but how many of the 100 will be out there from this set. There will be a rarity to it - I hope. It all comes down to how many collectors are able to get their hands on these vs. secondary market sellers. Unfortunately, like most popular things, the eBay sellers are quick to swoop down on things to make a buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
Ted, I agree with you in that I'm having a hard time with the numbers / ROI. I can see the argument that an individual box could have a good return, if you play it right. But where I struggle is, will ALL boxes be able to get see that return? I guess it depends on how many are sold direct to collectors (I.e. Never seeing the secondary market), how many are group breaks, and how many are purely for resell. There are 4,000 autographs coming, if half are "big ticket" cards that's 2,000 such cards ... are there seriously enough buyer's out there for that many cards?

I guess only time will tell ...

xtwinstarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #205
jamesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtwinstarx View Post
Well, compare this to Steven Stanton for example, his video says he did 700 autos for MW16. Now consider how many signers did that many for the set. That's a lot of autos, in a magnitude of over 10x of this set. I'm hard pressed to think that a run of 100 sets will be flooding the market. Then there is the matter of owning a card from something that we all know is a short run. I am in a few breaks, but I am looking mostly for signers I don't own. There will be tough choices to be made when you put base auto of signer X vs 1/1 of signer Y. I would say every card in the set should be a $200 minimum. Sure people can get a Tim Rose literally anywhere, but how many of the 100 will be out there from this set. There will be a rarity to it - I hope. It all comes down to how many collectors are able to get their hands on these vs. secondary market sellers. Unfortunately, like most popular things, the eBay sellers are quick to swoop down on things to make a buck.
The thing is, how much were those autos selling for? $10 at a stretch? Any collector can justify that amount for a card, it makes them more accessible. Far fewer people will drop $200+ on an auto when they can get the same auto for $10. Maybe a few super collectors of a character will buy a Rose or a Quinn for that much, I just don't see there being enough super collectors of all characters if a lot of this hits eBay.

jamesr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #206
xtwinstarx

Well the context here is 4,000 cards, but the reality is still 100 sales/sets. I guess it does matter how many are being resold, but if you look at may the fourth set, which was limited to something like 1600 sets, there was a lot of turnover for a product like that which was limited. It was readily available to anyone, yet it was still turned over with a high frequency on the bay. This set isn't going to be as easy to get your hands on, I think many who can't afford, or justify the set on the onset would at least like to get their hands on a card to have something which is heavily limited edition.

4,000 cards all in is 1 million bucks, on average buyers are paying $250 per card retail. I'm supposing that this set isn't going to lose value immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
The thing is, how much were those autos selling for? $10 at a stretch? Any collector can justify that amount for a card, it makes them more accessible. Far fewer people will drop $200+ on an auto when they can get the same auto for $10. Maybe a few super collectors of a character will buy a Rose or a Quinn for that much, I just don't see there being enough super collectors of all characters if a lot of this hits eBay.

xtwinstarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #207
richo

If Topps were doing 2-3 sets a year this would I believe be amazing. The issue is the sheer volume of sets we are having now and also have scheduled up to the end of the year.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #208
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
If Topps were doing 2-3 sets a year this would I believe be amazing. The issue is the sheer volume of sets we are having now and also have scheduled up to the end of the year.
And the foreseeable future. Ridley and Boyega will have autos in 8-10 sets per year for the next 3-4 years at least. They may not have a lot per set, but they will add up pretty quick.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #209
IndySportsCards

Quote:
I have a bad feeling about this...

IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #210
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
And the fact MW3 releases right around the same time, also on card autos and premium card stock.

Are you telling me Hayden's 1/1 from MW3 will be that much different in price from one of multiple 1/1s from this set? Usually the MW 1/1 has a cool feature like being framed or something whereas these parallels are same card stocks but different colors.

Plus don't people say in the RDJ iron man thread that a pack pulled auto has more perceived value than one bought out or an incentive?

Also, remember topps has 3 colors for the Stellar 1/1 cards, so it's more like 1/3 really. The color border is the only difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #211
Vargaman

So...is this set still moving forward or what? There hasn't been any release date confirmed besides Q4 2017 and still a lot of signers to announce.

Topps has 4 sets left to close out the year: Stellar, MW3, Tek 3 and TLJ S1, and we are

Blowout's product page has this nice summary of who we know so far.

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #212
DarthRogahn

Maybe / hopefully more signers will be announced over the weekend since it is NYCC?
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #213
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRogahn View Post
Maybe / hopefully more signers will be announced over the weekend since it is NYCC?
I don't think there are any new SW people (that haven't been announced for this set yet) at the event other than Mark Hamill. Peter Serafinowicz as Darth Maul's voice, maybe.

They've got to have this set nailed down by now. For such a high-ticket item, they're really letting it fall by the wayside.

How many here have pre-ordered?

Last edited by dd316; 10-05-2017 at 01:58 PM.
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #214
ForceChange77

Supposedly an announcement is coming "very soon". My guess is either during NYCC or on Monday, which is the date I think the Last Jedi trailer will be shown.
ForceChange77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #215
Bryanjs14

Quote:
I don't think there are any new SW people (that haven't been announced for this set yet) at the event other than Mark Hamill. Peter Serafinowicz as Darth Maul's voice, maybe.

They've got to have this set nailed down by now. For such a high-ticket item, they're really letting it fall by the wayside.

How many here have pre-ordered?
I have 4 boxes ordered. Lots of money tied up in a product I only know about 40% of the content of.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #216
Eissacs

Quote:
I have 4 boxes ordered. Lots of money tied up in a product I only know about 40% of the content of.
Boba and Finn are also confirmed. 50% known 👍🏻
Old 10-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #217
joudenjouden

I have a sinking feeling that Ford will not be in this product. They would've announced it by now. Why hide your #1 selling point beyond the sales window for this set? Unless, of course, he's not in it. That'll kill this product if he's not
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #218
Niz Noz

What's the chances of having John Williams in this set? Is that even a possibility?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #219
Bryanjs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
I have a sinking feeling that Ford will not be in this product. They would've announced it by now. Why hide your #1 selling point beyond the sales window for this set? Unless, of course, he's not in it. That'll kill this product if he's not
Sales window closed and the product sold out. So withholding him doesn't matter. They don't need to raise any more awareness for the set, its sold out.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #220
Eissacs

They are probably just waiting for him to sign. But you don't make a product like this without him. He's in there.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #221
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eissacs View Post
They are probably just waiting for him to sign. But you don't make a product like this without him. He's in there.
Topps waiting for someone to sign, how reassuring.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #222
aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
Topps waiting for someone to sign, how reassuring.
A redemption in a $10K box? Never say never!
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #223
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
A redemption in a $10K box? Never say never!
Redemptions in expensive products are common, not this expensive but flawless, the cup, exquisite, they all had redemptions. My concern is what happens if the card doesn’t get made. Knock on wood Harrison Ford isn’t that old but he’s crashed two airplanes. Sometimes crap happens. If you’re stuck holding the 1/1 gold ford auto redemption what’s the replacement? A new Harley?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #224
Bryanjs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
Redemptions in expensive products are common, not this expensive but flawless, the cup, exquisite, they all had redemptions. My concern is what happens if the card doesn’t get made. Knock on wood Harrison Ford isn’t that old but he’s crashed two airplanes. Sometimes crap happens. If you’re stuck holding the 1/1 gold ford auto redemption what’s the replacement? A new Harley?
Not that its that big a deal, but Flawless never had redemptions.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #225
daxwills

Quote:
Not that its that big a deal, but Flawless never had redemptions.
Whoops, for some reason I thought it did. Here’s to hoping this doesn’t either.