Blowout Cards Forums
2023 Football

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Who Wins the 2018 AL CY Young Award?
Justin Verlander 59 28.23%
Gerrit Cole 45 21.53%
Charlie Morton 3 1.44%
Chris Sale 16 7.66%
Luis Severino 46 22.01%
Sean Manaea 2 0.96%
Corey Kluber 17 8.13%
James Paxton 13 6.22%
Blake Snell 1 0.48%
Somebody Else 7 3.35%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #351
calculusdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
J.A Handfootmouth sent home from NYY.

What are these guys doing??? That’s the second grown ass man to get it recently...
I had it last week. Ridiculous.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #352
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I had it last week. Ridiculous.
I said grown ass man...
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #353
broncomanning18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Severino has to officially have no chance, doesn't he? This is shaping up to be his 5th poor start in a row (going by standards of a Cy caliber pitcher). What's up with him?
He hasnt been good, swing and miss stuff isnt their and the yankees have decided to go full mets for degrom when he starts. The first 4 or 5 innings they are lucky if they have 1 or 2 hits lately when he pitches
broncomanning18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #354
Hollywood42

Run support hasn't entirely mattered lately, to be honest. Last couple of starts-

5.2 IP, 4 ER
4.1 IP, 6 ER
5 IP, 6 ER
5 IP, 4 ER

Sometimes you'll get lucky any maybe sneak out a win with one of those 4 run starts, but the others are probably usually no decisions at best

Giving up a TON of hits lately too! 7, 8, 11, and 9 in his past 4, none in more than 5.2 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncomanning18 View Post
He hasnt been good, swing and miss stuff isnt their and the yankees have decided to go full mets for degrom when he starts. The first 4 or 5 innings they are lucky if they have 1 or 2 hits lately when he pitches
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #355
calculusdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
I said grown ass man...
Old 08-04-2018, 12:33 AM   #356
broncomanning18
Banned

Wow, Verlander with 1 earned run in 7 2/3 innings and 14 k's on the road vs a great team like the dodgers. I have no idea if its Sale or Verlander at this point.
broncomanning18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #357
calculusdork

Are we suuuuuuuuure Kluber is out?

He just threw like the third Maddux in MLB this year. ERA down to 2.63.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #358
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Are we suuuuuuuuure Kluber is out?

He just threw like the third Maddux in MLB this year. ERA down to 2.63.
I will send you my entire Tony Cingrani collection if Kluber wins. No reciprocation required.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #359
texmcpherson

Kluber is knocking on the door again

Complete game shutout
Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #360
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmcpherson View Post
Kluber is knocking on the door again

Complete game shutout
What world am I in?

There is no door. Nobody is knocking. Without catastrophic injury to Sale AND Verlander, Kluber has no chance. And that's IF he pitches lights out.

He's still not striking hitters out.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #361
hohlernr

Bauer with another tremendous start. Once again the leader in fWAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #362
EricTownsend88

I think my ballot right now would be

1. Sale
2. Verlander
3. Bauer
4. Kluber
5. Snell

One of the best races in recent memory
EricTownsend88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #363
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
What world am I in?

There is no door. Nobody is knocking. Without catastrophic injury to Sale AND Verlander, Kluber has no chance. And that's IF he pitches lights out.

He's still not striking hitters out.
People always remember what happened last. Let Kluber throw 3-4 shutouts and finish with an era in the 2.0-2.1 range. He dominated down the stretch last year to take it away from sale. It wouldn’t take much to have both verlander and sale finish in the 2.3-2.4 range.... at that point Kluber would lead in wins and era. Good luck convincing voters who chose Kluber last year to pick against him if he leads in wins and era and was the best of the 3 down the stretch

He may not be pounding on that door right now but he still has 25 percent of his starts left..... it’s a possibility
MFaulkCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #364
jstasyk1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTownsend88 View Post
I think my ballot right now would be

1. Sale
2. Verlander
3. Bauer
4. Kluber
5. Snell

One of the best races in recent memory
i agree with top 3...i can make the argument for Kluber at 4...but i cant put Snell there with his very low innings count compared to others...he is 25-30+ behind the others...that is too many innings to put him over like G.Cole for me

Snell has sparkling 2.27era....good 1.07whip...123inn...137k/49bb(not very good ratio)

Cole has good 2.64era...better 0.99whip...146inn...same 49bb in more inn and 65 more k's(202 total)

Snell was a good story for a bit...but outside of his ERA which is also a bit misleading due to the fact he prob ends up around 170inn or maybe 180 while the others will be at 220ish...i cant put him up there....

I would probably put Cole at 4 and Kluber at 5 for right now after the top 3

agree though...pretty fun race this year even if it ends up only being 1-2 guys or maybe a 3rd guy in it...for a good chunk there was legit like 7+ guys having CYA-type seasons
jstasyk1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #365
jstasyk1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFaulkCollector View Post
People always remember what happened last. Let Kluber throw 3-4 shutouts and finish with an era in the 2.0-2.1 range. He dominated down the stretch last year to take it away from sale. It wouldn’t take much to have both verlander and sale finish in the 2.3-2.4 range.... at that point Kluber would lead in wins and era. Good luck convincing voters who chose Kluber last year to pick against him if he leads in wins and era and was the best of the 3 down the stretch

He may not be pounding on that door right now but he still has 25 percent of his starts left..... it’s a possibility
the argument against even that happening...which is not likely...possible but not likely that he ends up leading in ERA...is that even if he did that...its still likely that Sale/JV are right there in ERA...WHIP...INN and both would prob end up with 75+ more strikeouts which equates to more dominant....and they would both have the idea of "great all year" rather than "great down stretch"...idk...i dont think Kluber is 100% out of it like NC does...but its a big uphill climb...he prob needs Sale to falter and miss a couple more starts...so his counting stats arent too gigantic compared to Klubers...and he needs JV to stumble as well and end up not leading any of the big stats himself...but JV has been awesome since day 1 this year...so to me the idea that Kluber passes him with a great finish would mean JV would have to be very average ...even if he went up to 2.50-2.60...he likely would be right there in WHIP/INN and still have a 50+ strikeout advantage...so no scenario will be easy for kluber at this point...sure it could happen...
Old 08-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #366
bradical

I know it's because I am a M's homer, but I just want to bring this up again.

Edwin Diaz hasn't allowed an ER in over a month and is up to 42 saves. Getting to 62 or more is very plausible if the M's don't find a way to self-implode down the stretch.

It may not be enough to win the AL Cy Young, but this is a huge record he is push towards.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #367
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasyk1121 View Post
the argument against even that happening...which is not likely...possible but not likely that he ends up leading in ERA...is that even if he did that...its still likely that Sale/JV are right there in ERA...WHIP...INN and both would prob end up with 75+ more strikeouts which equates to more dominant....and they would both have the idea of "great all year" rather than "great down stretch"...idk...i dont think Kluber is 100% out of it like NC does...but its a big uphill climb...he prob needs Sale to falter and miss a couple more starts...so his counting stats arent too gigantic compared to Klubers...and he needs JV to stumble as well and end up not leading any of the big stats himself...but JV has been awesome since day 1 this year...so to me the idea that Kluber passes him with a great finish would mean JV would have to be very average ...even if he went up to 2.50-2.60...he likely would be right there in WHIP/INN and still have a 50+ strikeout advantage...so no scenario will be easy for kluber at this point...sure it could happen...
I don’t disagree..... but I think you may be looking too much into it. Just as a quick and dirty scenario.... verlander and sale are a bit above average to average over 8 starts..., both finish with era in the 2.4 ballpark which is outstanding. Kluber throws 3 shutouts in his final 8 starts and gets the era down to 2.25 (identical to last year).... at that point he leads in both era and wins. How do you not vote for a guy who led the league in both wins and fewest earned runs allowed when innings for all 3 are within 5 percent?

Kluber will also have an identical whip to the other two guys.... so he would be allowing the same base runners, will have 4-5 more wins than either of the two, and possibly a league leading era better than either of them. At that point I don’t think 75-90 strikeouts are worth 4-5 wins when era is the same. Historically war for pitchers isn’t a sign of much so sale is unlikely to benefit much from it

I think whether Kluber pushes himself into the top 2-3 or if it’s just sale and verlander this will be an all time interesting race. 8 or 9 starts is a lot left
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #368
jstasyk1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFaulkCollector View Post
I don’t disagree..... but I think you may be looking too much into it. Just as a quick and dirty scenario.... verlander and sale are a bit above average to average over 8 starts..., both finish with era in the 2.4 ballpark which is outstanding. Kluber throws 3 shutouts in his final 8 starts and gets the era down to 2.25 (identical to last year).... at that point he leads in both era and wins. How do you not vote for a guy who led the league in both wins and fewest earned runs allowed when innings for all 3 are within 5 percent?

Kluber will also have an identical whip to the other two guys.... so he would be allowing the same base runners, will have 4-5 more wins than either of the two, and possibly a league leading era better than either of them. At that point I don’t think 75-90 strikeouts are worth 4-5 wins when era is the same. Historically war for pitchers isn’t a sign of much so sale is unlikely to benefit much from it

I think whether Kluber pushes himself into the top 2-3 or if it’s just sale and verlander this will be an all time interesting race. 8 or 9 starts is a lot left
yea but to be fair...no one in MLB has more than 2 CG and 1 SHO....and cleveland has a comfy lead in a garbage division...so unless he is throwing more 90pc shutouts he likely wont have any more let alone 3-4 in an 8 start stretch...

as to the point of "how would they not vote for him"...

if the 3 lines looked something like this:

Kluber- 19-6, 210inn, 2.25era, 0.90whip, 190ks, 1st in WAR
Sale- 17-6, 200inn, 2.30era, 0.90whip, 280ks, 2nd-4th in WAR
Verlander- 17-7, 215inn, 2.35era, 0.90whip, 265ks 2nd-4th in WAR

do i really think him having a slight lead in Wins/Era would get him the win...no i dont to be honest...everything in this scenario would be really close...except the other two were elite strikeout guys out and Kluber was like 10th in the AL...so he would prob need a bigger collapse/stumble from the top 2 and even Bauer as well to a degree....my thought is he would have to have a decent lead in ERA not just edging them out...cuz he will be lacking big time in the strikeout category and K's are prob a top 3 stat for CYA voting in my opinion
Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #369
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasyk1121 View Post
yea but to be fair...no one in MLB has more than 2 CG and 1 SHO....and cleveland has a comfy lead in a garbage division...so unless he is throwing more 90pc shutouts he likely wont have any more let alone 3-4 in an 8 start stretch...

as to the point of "how would they not vote for him"...

if the 3 lines looked something like this:

Kluber- 19-6, 210inn, 2.25era, 0.90whip, 190ks, 1st in WAR
Sale- 17-6, 200inn, 2.30era, 0.90whip, 280ks, 2nd-4th in WAR
Verlander- 17-7, 215inn, 2.35era, 0.90whip, 265ks 2nd-4th in WAR

do i really think him having a slight lead in Wins/Era would get him the win...no i dont to be honest...everything in this scenario would be really close...except the other two were elite strikeout guys out and Kluber was like 10th in the AL...so he would prob need a bigger collapse/stumble from the top 2 and even Bauer as well to a degree....my thought is he would have to have a decent lead in ERA not just edging them out...cuz he will be lacking big time in the strikeout category and K's are prob a top 3 stat for CYA voting in my opinion
Overall I can’t really argue... the reasoning is sound. I do think voters would be apt to put aside strikeouts if a guy did lead in wins, era, and war; regardless the margin. If statistically you were worth more than any other pitcher via war, you led in era, and wins....that trio about sums up everything important expect whip which he would be 1,2, or 3....... at that point strikeouts wouldn’t matter to me..... but then again I don’t get a vote, haha
Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #370
lambeauleap87

Kluber doesn't seem to be able to strike many guys out lately, but I was able to witness his Maddux in person on Saturday. That was sweet.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #371
jstasyk1121

JV really took a step back today...this is what hurts him and Sale(historically)...having the random blow up starts here and there...

Sale had been out...if JV goes out last night and kills it then during Sale being on DL he would have had a 14k game vs Dodgers and another big game vs Seattle....and he would have been like 20+ innings above...would have had the Strikeout lead(for time being)...

it was a big start for his CYA chances and he laid an egg...

Depending on how Sale does this weekend coming back from DL...we will see...Sale leading but again...he is a decent amount of innings back all the sudden to a couple guys...so if he falters like JV did then all the sudden he is back by everyone else again but also 15 less innings...would be interesting...if he comes out and throws 6 scoreless with 10k...its prob a pretty big gap at that point in mid-august
Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #372
Rabs

Snell pulled after 5 perfect innings. Now has 2nd lowest ERA in the AL.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #373
lambeauleap87

Bauer put up 6.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K tonight before leaving after taking a line drive off the ankle. He's still lurking in contention (AL leader in fWAR), but any injury causing him to miss time would likely end that.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #374
Hollywood42

I'm really rooting for Bauer. Think he has just an outside chance right now, even before this potential injury, but it'd be fun to see him win it
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #375
NeedChapmans

Yup, yup. Uhh huh. Uhh huh.

Barring a disaster, which this man has been known to provide; this race is over folks.