Francisco Lindor 4 1.35%
JD Martinez 57 19.19%
Jose Ramirez 33 11.11%
Mike Trout 45 15.15%
Other 13 4.38%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #176
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no10pin View Post
No, but it would still be impressive. Very interesting race to the finish, I have a feeling that one guy will get (or stay) hot in September and take it. Could still be Trout!
Do you realize that Trout has played 14 games this season as a DH ? 1 as a PH and 97 games in outfield with multiple games being taken out before game ended. Add the 3 weeks off 2/3 through the season and he is by far the most rested player of the group. Should Trout be classified a OF/DH, 60 PA's as a DH and 1 as a PH both coming off the bench well rested though his OPS is much lower performing this role? Funny, JD Martinez has a Massive OPS as a outfielder but his OPS drops significantly as a DH? Maybe being a DH isn't such a great role to perform, ask Pujols, Miggy and some future HOF'rs what they think of the role and how they performed?
Stifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #177
broncomanning18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
Do you realize that Trout has played 14 games this season as a DH ? 1 as a PH and 97 games in outfield with multiple games being taken out before game ended. Add the 3 weeks off 2/3 through the season and he is by far the most rested player of the group. Should Trout be classified a OF/DH, 60 PA's as a DH and 1 as a PH both coming off the bench well rested though his OPS is much lower performing this role? Funny, JD Martinez has a Massive OPS as a outfielder but his OPS drops significantly as a DH? Maybe being a DH isn't such a great role to perform, ask Pujols, Miggy and some future HOF'rs what they think of the role and how they performed?
I think the biggest thing is playing the field adds a lot more possible injuries, so I guess some people see JD Martinez as kind of like a glorified 3 point shooter who plays no defense.
broncomanning18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #178
ninjacookies

Definitely seems like it's Mookie's to lose at this point.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #179
Stifle

[QUOTE=broncomanning18;13858371] "I think the biggest thing is playing the field adds a lot more possible injuries, so I guess some people see JD Martinez as kind of like a glorified 3 point shooter who plays no defense."

Or like a glorified Kicker in the NFL who just kept making clutch field goals, hah, that would never happen in a game as physical as football, Never ! "Kicker" While all the others are battling it out and to think a kicker, yeh, never gonna happen...... or has it ?

Pitchers had the same glorified role as taking the mound every 4/5 days - starter & possibly as a reliever for a inning or so for roughly 88 to 140 innings for the season. many people see pitchers as a position that has a award specialized for their role. Though they have been voted MVP 13/99 times. JD has played the field for more innings than all previous 13 pitchers who won a American League MVP.

Martinez has played outfield and is much better as a fielder than a Reggie Jackson, Mo Vaughn, Jose Canseco, Jeff Burroughs, Manny Ramirez, etc. If fielding is any part of the discussion then JD should play clips of the home run that bounced off of Canseco's head.

If a players performance is recognized as valuable enough to receive a Weekly / Monthly award then why be hypocritical about recognizing the same value in a seasons worth of performance ? ? ? ?

Last edited by Stifle; 08-27-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #180
ThoseBackPages

Mike Trout homers (31) on a line drive to left field.
LOW copy is better than NO copy!
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 AM   #181
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
Mike Trout homers (31) on a line drive to left field.
You think he should win MVP? These Angels games are all meaningless.
rman112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 AM   #182
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
You think he should win MVP? These Angels games are all meaningless.
is that his fault?
LOW copy is better than NO copy!
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #183
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
is that his fault?
No, in the big picture, where's the value in what he's done?

They were also the same team when he got hurt.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:27 AM   #184
moosetequila

Don't POMO my Mellow...
moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #185
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetequila View Post
This is usually the reply to a point that someone doesn't want to realistically look at.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #186
Stifle

Quote:
This is usually the reply to a point that someone doesn't want to realistically look at.

Rman, can you blame Moose, it's only been a month since this last occurred. Glad his OF/IR/DH/PH performer " 2 years in a row" has enough rest to finally hit another home run. Trout isn't in the top 4 this season as of today. Trout is a great player but IR, bad team, not clutch are the Triple Crown negatives that have him out as a favorite. Moose, good member but is unable to debate these issues as well as the previous ones I brought up about JD.

Last edited by Stifle; 08-28-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #187
speedyjg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
Rman, can you blame Moose, it's only been a month since this last occurred. Glad his OF/IR/DH/PH performer " 2 years in a row" has enough rest to finally hit another home run. Trout isn't in the top 4 this season.
I understand you want JD to win the MVP. I do too. But this statement is just dumb
speedyjg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #188
Stifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyjg13 View Post
I understand you want JD to win the MVP. I do too. But this statement is just dumb
No, the unnerving aspect to my comment is that for a player like Trout to be on IR two consecutive seasons in the prime of his career has Trout fans a little nervous. I can understand because if he is unable to stay healthy in his mid to late 20's what will he be in 5 more seasons? Its not dumb, it's facing facts about allowing Trout to steal bases when the season for two consecutive years has been a wash. You can't ignore his value in the lineup.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #189
jhssketchcards

I think a dark horse candidate is Alex Bregman. Considering who he has on that roster, he class carried them offensively. He leads the team in
HR
RBI
SLG
OPS
R
Games
2nd in Hits
2nd in OBP
One clutch performance after another. Also top 10 in AL WAR and a solid third baseman.
Not saying he will win, but if he catches fire and carries them through the pennant chase he could get some love. Last night was the first night since June 26 that the Astros has Correa, Springer and Altuve all in the lineup, and they are still in first.
Itís not all on Bregman, but he is having a career year for a guy that 4 years ago was in college.
I donít think anyone can argue he is the MVP is the Astros this year (obviously a case could be made for Cole or Verlander). It will be a fun race to watch for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhssketchcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #190
rman112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhssketchcards View Post
I think a dark horse candidate is Alex Bregman. Considering who he has on that roster, he class carried them offensively. He leads the team in
HR
RBI
SLG
OPS
R
Games
2nd in Hits
2nd in OBP
One clutch performance after another. Also top 10 in AL WAR and a solid third baseman.
Not saying he will win, but if he catches fire and carries them through the pennant chase he could get some love. Last night was the first night since June 26 that the Astros has Correa, Springer and Altuve all in the lineup, and they are still in first.
Itís not all on Bregman, but he is having a career year for a guy that 4 years ago was in college.
I donít think anyone can argue he is the MVP is the Astros this year (obviously a case could be made for Cole or Verlander). It will be a fun race to watch for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would still say Altuve is their MVP. Just look at how much better they're playing with him. And this is with continually suspect pitching, too.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #191
Supersuper

I think al MVP this year should go to either betts or jose Ramirez,

I got no doubt that trout is still the best player, He is not so fancy this year plus his team

sucks.
Supersuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #192
clocsta2323

Quote:
I would still say Altuve is their MVP. Just look at how much better they're playing with him. And this is with continually suspect pitching, too.
Carlos Correa also got healthy at pretty much the same time. Altuve is on my shortlist of players I would pick first to start a franchise, but Bregman has been the best player on the Astros this year. I love how WAR is being tossed around every other post in the NL MVP thread but everyone here conveniently chooses to refrain from posting WAR totals.
clocsta2323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #193
pgisback

Since mid june Trout is only batting .270 with 14 xbh and 16 rbis. At some point, he has to share some blame for the team losing with and without him.
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos
pgisback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #194
cnewby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgisback View Post
Since mid june Trout is only batting .270 with 14 xbh and 16 rbis. At some point, he has to share some blame for the team losing with and without him.
Oh now you've done it.

Trouties unite!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #195
AnthonyCorona

Quote:

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #196
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Setting aside the team aspect, when Mookie was on the DL, Trout had a chance to really create separation, and couldn't. As the defense metrics continued to down-grade him ... he was just stuck in a funk since the point you reference. Has been blah for a little while now.
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #197
cnewby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Setting aside the team aspect, when Mookie was on the DL, Trout had a chance to really create separation, and couldn't. As the defense metrics continued to down-grade him ... he was just stuck in a funk since the point you reference. Has been blah for a little while now.
Dare you say......boring?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #198
pgisback

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Yea no doubt. He was definitely on pace for one of the greatest seasons ever mid june and the team was 6 games above .500. He's been average at best since then and part of the reason the team is not in playoff contention. How can someone be MVP when they are part of the reason their team is mediocre. And the whole team argument I don't buy either. The Angels are 13th in the MLB with runs scored. So his actual production numbers should be better. It's not like he's on the Tigers. To me someone like Castellanos who's been able to account for almost 25% of the Tigers runs is something an MVP should be able to do on a mediocre team. Trout is only at 19%.

Advanced metrics gives Trout credit for production he's not actually producing unlike others.
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos
pgisback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #199
mainerunr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocsta2323 View Post
Carlos Correa also got healthy at pretty much the same time. Altuve is on my shortlist of players I would pick first to start a franchise, but Bregman has been the best player on the Astros this year. I love how WAR is being tossed around every other post in the NL MVP thread but everyone here conveniently chooses to refrain from posting WAR totals.
These guys are top 9 in both (#10 differs)

------- Bwar, Fwar
Betts - 8.8, 8.5
Trout - 8.1, 8.0
Chapman - 7.6, 6.2
Ramirez - 7.5, 8.0
Lindor - 6.8, 6.8
Sale - 6.5, 6.1
Bregman - 6.3, 6.3
Martinez - 5.9, 5.4
Bauer - 5.6, 5.9

Average them and it is Betts (8.65), Trout(8.05), Ramirez (7.75), Chapman (6.9), Lindor (6.8), Bregman (6.3), Sale (6.25), Bauer (5.75), Martinez (5.65)

Intangibles however, supposedly, JD found an issue with JBJ's swing, JBJ hit .210 before the ASG and is hitting .278 since. I've heard the argument that the Sox lineup is largely the same as last year, the one difference is JD and some attribute everyone's increase in production over last year to him (personally, I think last year was a convergence of bad years and that it made sense most of the Red Sox batters would be better this year).

Also, Some will ding Trout for the poor team performance, some will also probably credit Mookie and/or JD for the Sox team performance...and to that, winning the division is not the same across all divisions when the second place team has the second best record in baseball, winning your division means a little more...(yeah, I'm a homer).

Last edited by mainerunr; 08-30-2018 at 03:13 PM.
mainerunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #200
broncomanning18

Quote:
Yea no doubt. He was definitely on pace for one of the greatest seasons ever mid june and the team was 6 games above .500. He's been average at best since then and part of the reason the team is not in playoff contention. How can someone be MVP when they are part of the reason their team is mediocre. And the whole team argument I don't buy either. The Angels are 13th in the MLB with runs scored. So his actual production numbers should be better. It's not like he's on the Tigers. To me someone like Castellanos who's been able to account for almost 25% of the Tigers runs is something an MVP should be able to do on a mediocre team. Trout is only at 19%.

Advanced metrics gives Trout credit for production he's not actually producing unlike others.
My guess would it has something to do with how much they walk him, leads the majors by a ton. They probably dont give a rats ... how they pitch to Nick
broncomanning18 is offline   Reply With Quote