Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
Lionsman81

Default Fate of the Furious

I haven't seen a thread about the film yet, so I guess I'll make one. Let's ty to keep the opinions spoiler-free until the movie has been out for a while.
Lionsman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Davesportscards

I might rent it when it comes out. No desire to see it in theater. Should have ended it after the previous one. I like to suspend belief more than usual for these films but it's absurd now. Just stop.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Soxrule111

I really want to see it this weekend, usually do an "Easter" movie.

But I haven't seen like the last 3. I own them all, but not a huge movie guy. Watch a total of like 5 a year (and theaters usually once on a Holiday a year)
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
chrisfaceoff

I'm going to see it in a few hours but I'm pissed because someone ruined the storyline for me with a stupid f'n meme on Facebook. I wanted to go to his house and punch him in the face for it.

I'll let you guys know what I think later tonight

https://www.ebay.com/str/faceoffsportscards
chrisfaceoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Lionsman81

Saw it tonight, I thought it was OK, but I didn't leave it thinking "man, this is the greatest movie ever." or "I can't wait for the next one." It was just like, meh, that was a fun two hours now onto the next thing. I will include some LIGHT SPOILERS ahead, nothing that will reveal major plot lines or that will completely ruin the film, but some minor things.

The first thing you need to know going in is, if you've seen the trailers and TV commercials, you have pretty much seen every part of the movie that is worth a dang except for the "main plot line" aka the reason Torretto is betraying his "family."

The action sequences were entertaining, but they've mirrored stunts done in the past just with different set pieces. "Cipher" was a decent villain, but she really doesn't do anything other than press a few buttons and make a few threats. I found the villains in Furious 6 and 7 to be more entertaining and clever, but Cipher didn't really intrigue me quite as much as the Shaw Brothers. Her plan is nothing new, it has been done in plenty of other movies and is pretty much the exact plot of every post-WWII spy film.

Also, there is almost guaranteed to be a sequel, if you haven't seen the movie, you will understand at the end, but the whole movie essentially set up a second movie that will inevitably come out in two years.

For inexplicable fun, Fate is good, but now at eight films, and with the death of Paul Walker, these are really starting to get strung out, and with each film, I just pray that they end it where its at, but they won't. It won't surprise me in the least when in two years "Fast 9, Torretto in Space" comes out.
Lionsman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
majestik101

Saw it last night. It's not awful, but it's also not very good. I think this series has finally run its course. My opinion? Save your money.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
Dielon

If you have willingly seen any of these past the sequel you are nuts.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 AM   #8
ucfkid
Banned - PBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsman81 View Post
Saw it tonight, I thought it was OK, but I didn't leave it thinking "man, this is the greatest movie ever." or "I can't wait for the next one." It was just like, meh, that was a fun two hours now onto the next thing. I will include some LIGHT SPOILERS ahead, nothing that will reveal major plot lines or that will completely ruin the film, but some minor things.

The first thing you need to know going in is, if you've seen the trailers and TV commercials, you have pretty much seen every part of the movie that is worth a dang except for the "main plot line" aka the reason Torretto is betraying his "family."

The action sequences were entertaining, but they've mirrored stunts done in the past just with different set pieces. "Cipher" was a decent villain, but she really doesn't do anything other than press a few buttons and make a few threats. I found the villains in Furious 6 and 7 to be more entertaining and clever, but Cipher didn't really intrigue me quite as much as the Shaw Brothers. Her plan is nothing new, it has been done in plenty of other movies and is pretty much the exact plot of every post-WWII spy film.

Also, there is almost guaranteed to be a sequel, if you haven't seen the movie, you will understand at the end, but the whole movie essentially set up a second movie that will inevitably come out in two years.

For inexplicable fun, Fate is good, but now at eight films, and with the death of Paul Walker, these are really starting to get strung out, and with each film, I just pray that they end it where its at, but they won't. It won't surprise me in the least when in two years "Fast 9, Torretto in Space" comes out.
Fast 9 comes out in 2019 and Fast 10 the last one comes out in 2021.
ucfkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Harps

I watched it last night and loved every minute. Yeah, its stupid but its so much fun.

Got home and rewatched the first. Its crazy how far they've come - I don't think Dom needs to steal any more VCR's.

I would love for them to return to the vehicles they had early on. Rather than hyper cars, go back to the tuned imports.... though I am biased, I bought the same model as one of the cars in the first film.
Harps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
Ephland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harps View Post
I watched it last night and loved every minute. Yeah, its stupid but its so much fun.
This. It delivered exactly what I wanted, did not disappoint at all.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
RetailChamp

Just saw it today.

IMO, it is the worst movie in the series. Echoing a previous commenter, a lot of the stunts have been seen before. They used a lot of fire CGI which didn't look good. Wasn't super impressed with the plot or Cypher. Forced a TON of Tyrese jokes (though a couple were solid). This series is going to suffer bad without Walker holding it together. The other actors just can't carry it.

That being said, if you like the series, don't just skip it. I just wouldn't recommend paying full ticket price to see it. A red box or dollar theatre is fine.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
RetailChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harps View Post

Got home and rewatched the first. Its crazy how far they've come - I don't think Dom needs to steal any more VCR's.

I would love for them to return to the vehicles they had early on. Rather than hyper cars, go back to the tuned imports.... though I am biased, I bought the same model as one of the cars in the first film.
I tried to rewatch them all before seeing it. I made it through 1, 2, 4, 5 on Friday and Saturday. Will knock out 6, 3, and 7 today and tomorrow.

The first couple are so much more enjoyable when it was just some street racers with modded imports. The whole super spy/elite tactical team thing doesn't play well IMO.

My first car was a 2000 Honda Civic largely because of the first film haha
Old 04-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Brobocop

The big action set piece in NYC was pretty distracting for me. They filmed that right where I work in downtown Cleveland. I saw a lot of those stunts live which was amazing! Still, it took me out since all I kept doing was figuring out which streets they used over and over again (for the record, all of those scenes were filmed on maybe four to five streets).

Overall, I think the franchise might have gone a bit downhill for me. I'd rather see a Hobbs/Shaw buddy cop movie. That would be amazing.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #14
hairysasquatch

Meh, I'll wait for the next sequel when they've all involuntarily packed on a few and they can call it Fat and Furious.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
the mesiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephland View Post
Exactly, I know all or most of these types of movies are going to have a villain that either is a drug lord or a Terrorist type that wants to be in control of the world ..if you expect anything more or some type of classic that is going to win oscars then you are fooling yourself ..it's already 8 movies in ,nothing is going to change .. I thought it was good for what I was expecting .
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196511489@N05/albums/with/72177720302212328
the mesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
atlcast

Hoping this would go away after that Paul dude died.Guess it would go on even if it was Diesel who passed.
atlcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #17
packman80

This franchise jumped the shark about 5 films ago.
packman80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #18
tacoma34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Meh, I'll wait for the next sequel when they've all involuntarily packed on a few and they can call it Fat and Furious.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 AM   #19
CollectorMan
Banned

Quote:
This. It wasn't a great film but not bad either. Pure popcorn flick. Agreed that a Hobbs/Shaw movie could be interesting. Apparently Fate had a post credit scene opening night setting it up, but was pulled by a pardon the pun a "Furious" Vin Diesel. Probably what caused the supposed beef.

SPOILERS

It's obvious they are planning a time jump with Fast 9. It will be a min of 15 years in the future IMO. They could even kill off Brian's character softly off screen and bring Mia and the children back into the fold.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Chaddie84

F&F isn't the same without Brian Earl Spilner...I'll probably just rent it.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #21
Ephland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
F&F isn't the same without Brian Earl Spilner...I'll probably just rent it.
Eh, I never felt like Brian brought much to the table beyond the first two.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
IronMonkey415
Banned

Saw a picture of Vin D holding a baby. That probably spoiled the movie for me and the reason why he is doing all the bad things he did in the film.

Here i thought he was being brainwash by the evil lady with some brain program.
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
Chaddie84

Quote:
Eh, I never felt like Brian brought much to the table beyond the first two.
Dialogue in F&F2 was beyond awful. So campy, but so good.

Imma tell ya bruh....
Forget about it cuz...

1 and 5 are still my faves
Old 04-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #24
Tones

I was nervous going in there without Paul Walker but I was pleasantly surprised. Wish they would kept the regular plan with bringing Lucas Black's character into the gang as he already played a part. Still not sure how I feel of implementing 'Mr. Nobody' but the heavy focus on the development of Scott Eastwood's character makes it seem like he will stick around.
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote