Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Shogun2049

Default Bench Warmers

Wondering if there is still a group here who collect Bench Warmers cards/models? I've noticed very little to no discussions regarding their cards and the list of models being collected hasn't been updated in over a year. I have some cards that I'm working on scanning and listing, but wanted to give the BO members a first shot at them, especially any 1/1's that I have. I know I have a 2013 Vegas Baby autographed Stacked Deck Joker 1/1 April Scott that I am looking to list, but not sure if anyone actively collect April Scott around here.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
nabzy28

There are other threads that detail similar events. Here's a link to the most recent one I can think of:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1183238

Basically, a massive part of the previous collector base doesn't seem to care about them at all anymore after the Kickstarter disaster.
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? 05/08/18: Replacements requested. Let's see what happens...
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
natbornkiller

Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #4
Fenian95

TLDR The owner of the company defrauded/ripped off some of his most diehard collectors/fans with a Kickstarter debacle that everyone feels was used to fund his political card set.

Massive release delays, stale content(same photos and inserts OVER AND OVER AND OVER), and the guy becoming a raving conspiracy theorist who attacks his customers who disagree with him.

The last new set I know of was America the Beautiful whose big "hits" were flag patch cards, state quarter cards and dollar store gem cards.
Fenian95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
brewer26

I collect Cassie Cardelle. PM me if you have anything. Thanks!
brewer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
monaco497

I collect April Scott and Kimberly Phillips cards. I'm definitely interested in the 1/1 April Scott card you mentioned as well as any other numbered cards of either of them you might have. PM me to discuss.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
Stat Monsters

The problem with Benchwarmers is that the product is essentially selling "dairy products" with a very limited shelf life, where after the test of time spoils, stinks and goes rancid.

Benchwarmers models are generally all good looking with no substance, talent nor career sustainability.

In 10, 20, 30 or 40 years, unlike sports stars who can become legends or performance artists who can establish a solid body of work, most of these girls won't be remembered and every single minute a new girl turns 18 yrs old who can easily replace any one of the Benchwarmer models who, day by day get older and older and a less valued commodity in what they sell, unfortunately.

At one time, Benchwarmers had some semi-stars like Carmen Elektra, ex-WWE Divas and B-List Actresses, but they've yet to have a hidden gem talent on their checklist that went from Benchwarmer obscurity to mainstream notoriety nor sign any big name talent to grace their card sets.

So, they're fun to collect, the girls will have timeless sex appeal, but as an investment commodity, they're pretty horrible to retain for more than 3 years and are indeed quick flips for the stalker obsessed fans who try to complete personal collections of specific models.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
rittdk01

I hate weeding through that junk looking at non-sport on eBay. I will never understand why anyone would collect bikini model signed cards
Old 04-22-2018, 04:51 AM   #9
Ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittdk01 View Post
I hate weeding through that junk looking at non-sport on eBay. I will never understand why anyone would collect bikini model signed cards
Just put -bench warmers in your search. I'll share mine that rarely shows any of these ladies.

(autograph,prop,relic,auto,iron man) -benchwarmer -japanese -bench -honey -playboy
Ties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittdk01 View Post
But everyone can say that about what other people collect. It isn't your thing for some reason fine but at a time it had a strong following on here
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
BluesBroSJ

Send a message via AIM to BluesBroSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
But everyone can say that about what other people collect. It isn't your thing for some reason fine but at a time it had a strong following on here

Exactly. I still contend I made more profit on BW than any other non-sport or sport product in the last ten years. I'm still sitting on a box of a several hundred autos that even if I gave them away I'd still be well, well into the black on Benchwarmer as a whole.
BluesBroSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
spookowl1004

I started a group thread on here a few years ago for the collectors of Benchwarmers and which girls they collected. It was really fun while it lasted. I have to say, the glory years were between 2012-2014 with the set list of all the regular ladies from the late 2000's and the introduction of the new class (Sara Underwood, Shelby Chesnes, Ciara Price, etc, to name a few). I bet many members here would agree that the with the best product of all time for Benchwarmers would be 2013 Gold Edition.

Benchwarmer's was a niche hobby- not nude like Playboy/Juicy Honey. Just like somebody who doesn't know why people collect bikini swatch cards, I personally don't understand why people collect sketch cards. But it's okay. Somebody out there likes it, and that's how Brian Wallos made his money on BW.

And Doobypenguin ran many many BW group breaks on Blowout (he's famous on here for running those breaks), and we had so much fun drafting hit breaks. Not only that, the secondary market for re-sell was extraordinary. A lot of us made our money back and more. But come late 2014 and 2015 where the products became too repetitive and the pictures were all rehashed from older sets, then the interest started falling.

I supercollected Candace Kita, and I had over 100 of her 1/1s. I've sold about 70% of those cards in the last two years but kept my favorites because I got bored of them. Benchwarmers definitely is not what it used to be, but just because you're late to the party does not mean it's not worth collecting anymore. There are always fans for any genre of cards. If not the autos, then you still have Kiss Auto cards, Hair swatch cards, letter patch cards. And yes, while most of the Benchwarmers girls are/were models and haven't done much more than that, I would say the same about some baseball prospect that played one game in the majors and then flamed out. But some collector out there probably collected and still collects that player.

Anyway I wonder if the guys who I played the Benchwarmers breaks with still visit this site.....
spookowl1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #13
kerg

Pick a collection, any collection, and you'll find a 'I don't understand why . . .' crowd.
kerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
Arianny_Fan

Still here, still into pre Panini basketball and sketch cards of my favorite artists. BW not so much. Though I did win a red 1/1 Jaslyn Ome pajama shirt from Dream Girls update for cheap. That's about all that got my interest.

JASLYN OME PC: https://www.flickr.com/gp/139631202@N06/0x968i

Last edited by Arianny_Fan; 04-30-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Arianny_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #15
glorbgorb

I have a small collection of BW cards, from 2002-2008 releases.

Now I am a 41-year old, married father of 2 boys. I'd gladly sell these in a heart-beat at a fraction of "value" + shipping these days!
glorbgorb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #16
Arianny_Fan

Oh and I PC'd Jaslyn Ome due to her ties to Hawaii which is where I'm from.

JASLYN OME PC: https://www.flickr.com/gp/139631202@N06/0x968i
Arianny_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote