Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bk pre order

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Sharard

Default Upper Deck Avengers Infinity War this Summer?

I was reading the latest non sport update and there was a one page blurb on a summer release confirmed by upper decks William Sobel.

Not much more info on the set itself but said next issue there will be more information.

Man, the possibility of what autos that could be maybe found here. You would think that this release would be the one they really like to knock out of the park.

And I guess will be sandwiched in between the X-men and masterpiece releases.

Does this set excite you? Iím cautiously optimistic.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
I was reading the latest non sport update and there was a one page blurb on a summer release confirmed by upper decks William Sobel.

Not much more info on the set itself but said next issue there will be more information.

Man, the possibility of what autos that could be maybe found here. You would think that this release would be the one they really like to knock out of the park.

And I guess will be sandwiched in between the X-men and masterpiece releases.

Does this set excite you? Iím cautiously optimistic.
Well, they couldn't even get the new Spiderman to sign, so who knows.

Best bet would be a super high end transcendence/stellar type set with all the big marvel names.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

star wars hit tracker spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Bryanjs14

they should go all out and go high end. I would happily pay Marvel Premier money per box if they got ALL the big signers to sign. Downey, Boseman, The ScarJo they mocked up on a sell sheet and then never delivered, Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Brie Larson, Brolin ect ect. Make signatures on thicker card stock, I won't even bitch if its sticker autos. I just want one set where I can collect all the marvel autos in the same design.
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
robomole

Thing is I made the same assumption when Age of Ultron came out. Got a couple cases and then the set was pretty underwhelming. Upper Deck is just too much of a gamble with very little value put in boxes. I keep hoping we see sets like the first couple Thor sets, Guardians 1, Avengers 1. But nothing has been that good in quite a while.
robomole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
Bryanjs14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomole View Post
Thing is I made the same assumption when Age of Ultron came out. Got a couple cases and then the set was pretty underwhelming. Upper Deck is just too much of a gamble with very little value put in boxes. I keep hoping we see sets like the first couple Thor sets, Guardians 1, Avengers 1. But nothing has been that good in quite a while.
Agreed.
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
Sharard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomole View Post

I agree but this movie is a whole new vibe. 10 years culmination into these movies. If upper deck ever had a chance to redeem themselves it’s this release.

Lack of autos I don’t put all blame on them.. I watched one interview where Tom Holland really wasn’t into signing stuff. Kind hard get someone to sign that doesn’t want to.

And sure like some info on Black Panther set. Not like any secrets to reveal.

Last edited by Sharard; 04-18-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
BravesFan4Life

If they can get the entire cast to sign then sure, otherwise you get Spiderman Homecoming or you get GOTG 2 and Thor Ragnarok, which werent bad but didnt have the full cast and devalued the signers they do have like Saldana, Bautista and Hemsworth.

I would love a quad auto with RDJ, Ruffalo, Hemsworth and Evans but I doubt UD can pull it off.
BravesFan4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
CollectorMan

Pointless. I won't be burned by another UD non sports product again. I see no fun opening a box for over $100 and getting a $5 relic and a no name auto, if I'm lucky. Sorry UD rep that I've had PMs with, no interest here unless you get MAIN CAST AUTOs like we discussed. No, I'm not talking about Chris Hemsworth either. Thats not good enough anymore to get my continued business.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
HPZ
Banned

I’m breaking a case of this if they get some new top tier signers. They’ve already had Chris Pratt, Hemsworth, Evans... is there any chance they give us 5-6 big signers with a cast this large?

I was going to buy a case of Homecoming... but then realized 85 percent of the autos were worth 5 dollars. Man, that product was terrible imo. I thought the auto designs were incredibly ugly.

Last edited by HPZ; 04-18-2018 at 10:34 PM.
HPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
BravesFan4Life

They will have to pony up big cash to get the bigger signers....I really hope they dont go all out on say RDJ but then water it down with not much else, they will get people to buy because of a shot at RDJ but most of the breaks will be brutal. If they want to really wow and redeem themselves get as many of the main cast as they can. I know Ruffalo and Holland are not big on signing but if you can get everyone else that will be enough for everyone easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPZ View Post
I’m breaking a case of this if they get some new top tier signers. They’ve already had Chris Pratt, Hemsworth, Evans... is there any chance they give us 5-6 big signers with a cast this week?

I was going to buy a case of Homecoming... but then realized 85 percent of the autos were worth 5 dollars. Man, that product was terrible imo. I thought the auto designs were incredible ugly.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
HPZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesFan4Life View Post
They will have to pony up big cash to get the bigger signers....I really hope they dont go all out on say RDJ but then water it down with not much else, they will get people to buy because of a shot at RDJ but most of the breaks will be brutal. If they want to really wow and redeem themselves get as many of the main cast as they can. I know Ruffalo and Holland are not big on signing but if you can get everyone else that will be enough for everyone easily.
If they fill a set like this with small-time signers this will be the an incredibly disappointing release. There are so many exciting signers they have to choose from, I really hope they don't drop the ball. I can think of at least 20 signers I'd be happy to see on the checklist.
HPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
nabzy28

It does not. Nothing they have done recently even remotely would indicate they'll pull off anything like Guardians 1, Thor Dark World and a couple others, as noted above. I busted something like 10 cases of GOTG 1 and probably around 6 Thor DW. I have absolutely no idea what compelled me to not buy anything of theirs since then, but it's been a great decision.
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? 05/08/18: Replacements requested. Let's see what happens...
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #13
BravesFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPZ View Post
If they fill a set like this with small-time signers this will be the an incredibly disappointing release. There are so many exciting signers they have to choose from, I really hope they don't drop the ball. I can think of at least 20 signers I'd be happy to see on the checklist.
Agreed, they can do really well with this set if they get the right people, relics are neat and all but the autos can drive the product, if they can hit a home run people will have faith in Upper Deck again.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #14
arek

If this set was coming out next week I'd buy loads as it would be easy to sell my dupes, and offset the cost of a master or mini-master set. But as it be out in 3 months time, when the hype has died down, i'll just aim to get a base set for myself and a couple spots in a group break

Last edited by arek; 04-19-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Clarity
arek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:49 AM   #15
arek

Well, it's been 3 months since Infinity War opened at cinemas, any guesses when the trading card set will be released?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Archifou

I am sure they will release it next year close to the next movie in order to be successful this time and track the right people to make it right.

I prefer waiting and get a better product especially for this one because I am sure the set will be very expensive to collect.
Archifou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #17
Xazark

If there signer list was anything like Black Panther, hopefully there were smart enough to just can it
Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
RonimusPrime

You know what'd be cool? If the delay was because they're actually allowing FILM likenesses in sketches and this is what we have to do to get that. I would buy if they did have purely MCU sketches, regardless auto list.
RonimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
aggie4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonimusPrime View Post
You know what'd be cool? If the delay was because they're actually allowing FILM likenesses in sketches and this is what we have to do to get that. I would buy if they did have purely MCU sketches, regardless auto list.
I doubt we will ever see Marvel film likenesses on the sketch cards. Because it would take a lot of extra time to get approvals from the actors themselves, and because as we've seen from other companies who tried it on other properties, a lot of sketch cards don't get approved. So a lot of extra expense and time for fewer hits to put in boxes. If Upper Deck won't pay up to get all the good autograph signers, there's no way they will pay more for sketch cards.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonimusPrime View Post
hmm, never put it together that they DON'T have that. only thing i always thought was weird was allowing darn near EVERY character in a set for a specific movie, versus limited to that character family.

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #21
arek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
I doubt we will ever see Marvel film likenesses on the sketch cards. Because it would take a lot of extra time to get approvals from the actors themselves, and because as we've seen from other companies who tried it on other properties, a lot of sketch cards don't get approved. So a lot of extra expense and time for fewer hits to put in boxes. If Upper Deck won't pay up to get all the good autograph signers, there's no way they will pay more for sketch cards.
Getting actors to approve their sketches is ridiculous, they don't own the character's likeness and the majority of sketches aren't photo realistic. I'm sure they don't approve all the toys that feature them, or illustrations in books. Plus there's always CGI characters who could be drawn and wouldn't have to be approved by the actors. Iron Man, War Machine, spidey, masked Star Lord, Rocket and Groot, even Mantis and Hulk to name a few.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #22
DrGhostbuster

As someone who had huge losses going through 4 Spider-Man: Homecoming cases without even a Keaton auto to show for it, I have so little faith in Upper Deck. I have stayed away from Upper Deck product since then and that has proved to be a benefit.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #23
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
Getting actors to approve their sketches is ridiculous, they don't own the character's likeness and the majority of sketches aren't photo realistic. I'm sure they don't approve all the toys that feature them, or illustrations in books.
At the end of the day, all depends on what is in their contract for the use of their likeness in merchandising. Some it is a standard part and some require them to approve their likeness (even in toys)

I'm guessing some probably do even have right to images while in costume if used tied to the movie.

And I've said it before but no company is going to pay for the license for a property and then just take a financial loss because they couldn't get X person to sign.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #24
joudenjouden

Just a thought, it's possible they are waiting for Avengers 4 to release so they can do a super-mega-high-end-all-encompassing set that covers both Avengers 3 & 4 and has a huge checklist. I'd be in for that set, and this is a great opportunity to tell the complete story of Avengers Infinity War, however Avengers 4 wraps up that storyline.

That said, this is UD so honestly who knows what it could be like.
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:27 AM   #25
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
Just a thought, it's possible they are waiting for Avengers 4 to release so they can do a super-mega-high-end-all-encompassing set that covers both Avengers 3 & 4 and has a huge checklist. I'd be in for that set, and this is a great opportunity to tell the complete story of Avengers Infinity War, however Avengers 4 wraps up that storyline.

That said, this is UD so honestly who knows what it could be like.
That huge checklist would probably contain some leftover Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans stickers and then minor cast members from the films. Those are the only two main cast autos I would expect them to have.