2023 Football

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #326
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisyork33 View Post
It's pretty hard for distributors to play the cut game with S1. The product that has the largest print run, year end and year out.

And not having an Ohtani card of any kind is going to make it even harder.

The Silver packs will hold the value up to some extent as long as they are included, but otherwise this could be a similar situation to 2015 when everyone was anticipating the first KB cards in other products. S1 ended up being way overproduced compared to demand and Jumbo cases bottomed out <$300 that offseason.
phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #327
Chrisyork33

Will there be any value in the blue/black/gold inserts?
Chrisyork33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #328
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
yep the 5oz-16oz rates are quite a jump too
but priority is the biggest jumps of course

after fees & shipping, many people aren't clearing $10 for a set
that's crazy considering the amount of work
Those non-profit breakers
Old 01-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #329
ryanc576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Those non-profit breakers
It seems to me that there are a lot of people selling sets this year who frankly don’t know what the heck they’re doing — either that or they just don’t care and simply want to get rid of base at all costs.

From Christmas through the first week of January, we actually had all the makings of a healthy set market. Sets were going at a brisk pace selling for between $28-$30 shipped, and no one seemed to be having trouble moving them. I was lucky enough to sell about a dozen during this first phase.

But then the next thing you know a couple of guys came in and just severely undercut the market. Obviously I can understand wanting to be the lowest listing, but I’m not talking about the typical $.50 or $1.00 markdown — prices went from $28-29 to $24-25 seemingly overnight. Why set prices so low when the demand was there at the higher prices? That was just plain old impatience, and inexperience.

The drop seemed artificial and much more abrupt than usual. But once a run like that starts, it’s hard for prices to recover. And now here we are, with a “good” offers in the $22 range. Crazy.

Rather than just move them at fire sale prices, if it comes to that, I’m seriously considering hanging on to the rest of mine and just selling S1/S2 combos come June. At least that way I could cut my shipping in half.
ryanc576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #330
ThoseBackPages

wait, people are paying $22 for the BASE S1 set?

seems like a high price indeed
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #331
nera20

how many base sets in a 12 box hobby case usually? 9-10?
Old 01-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #332
ryanc576

I sold one for $22 yesterday. I haven’t had the heart to check sold listings today.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #333
ryanc576

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera20 View Post
how many base sets in a 12 box hobby case usually? 9-10?
I think that’s about right.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #334
nera20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanc576 View Post
I think that’s about right.
Thanks I am lazy so I will probably be selling all my base in one lot minus one base set
Old 01-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #335
PDCCollectibles

Wait until you see the madness next week....😉 Can't wait

Quote:
It seems to me that there are a lot of people selling sets this year who frankly don’t know what the heck they’re doing — either that or they just don’t care and simply want to get rid of base at all costs.

From Christmas through the first week of January, we actually had all the makings of a healthy set market. Sets were going at a brisk pace selling for between $28-$30 shipped, and no one seemed to be having trouble moving them. I was lucky enough to sell about a dozen during this first phase.

But then the next thing you know a couple of guys came in and just severely undercut the market. Obviously I can understand wanting to be the lowest listing, but I’m not talking about the typical $.50 or $1.00 markdown — prices went from $28-29 to $24-25 seemingly overnight. Why set prices so low when the demand was there at the higher prices? That was just plain old impatience, and inexperience.

The drop seemed artificial and much more abrupt than usual. But once a run like that starts, it’s hard for prices to recover. And now here we are, with a “good” offers in the $22 range. Crazy.

Rather than just move them at fire sale prices, if it comes to that, I’m seriously considering hanging on to the rest of mine and just selling S1/S2 combos come June. At least that way I could cut my shipping in half.
PDCCollectibles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #336
ryanc576

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCCollectibles View Post
Wait until you see the madness next week....😉 Can't wait
Do you think there’s any chance of prices edging back up as interest increases with product release? Or do you think it basically is what it is at this point and will only get worse, with production apparently so much higher?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #337
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Do you think there’s any chance of prices edging back up as interest increases with product release? Or do you think it basically is what it is at this point and will only get worse, with production apparently so much higher?
cant see why base sets would rise. more people then ever ripping cases like mad, and they'll have to pay for their rips somehow

race to the bottom indeed
Old 01-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #338
ryanc576

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
cant see why base sets would rise. more people then ever ripping cases like mad, and they'll have to pay for their rips somehow

race to the bottom indeed
It’s like The Hunger Games, Series 1 style. Everyone’s fighting for scraps. LOL
Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #339
hairysasquatch

Quote:
It’s like The Hunger Games, Series 1 style. Everyone’s fighting for scraps. LOL
It's why I gave up breaking flagship. Impossible to make $ unless you break mad volume.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #340
ryanc576

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
It's why I gave up breaking flagship. Impossible to make $ unless you break mad volume.
My goal isn’t necessarily to make money, but rather not to lose any more than I would if I were simply opening a few random boxes with little hoping of pulling things to flip. So that makes it easier for me to stomach downturns.

I will say, though, that Series 1 is still trending okay for me — the Silver Packs have been my saving grace.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #341
ThoseBackPages

very true, the Silver Packs are a great bonus
Old 01-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #342
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
wait, people are paying $22 for the BASE S1 set?

seems like a high price indeed
The key rookies should basically cover that price. I always feel like sets are the worst price point for the amount of work done.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #343
edclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
The key rookies should basically cover that price. I always feel like sets are the worst price point for the amount of work done.
I agree with this. Rookie lots, star lots and team sets will bring better returns. Less work, you don't need to look at those tiny numbers on the back
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #344
ryanc576

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
I suspect you’re right. Last year this was definitely the case. I typically pull a few of each RC to either flip or hold. May be doing more of that this time around.

Of course another good option is team sets, but honestly that requires just as much sorting.

This is actually what, to me, makes this whole process aggravating but also fun — there are lots of ways to slice up a case and everyone has their own strategy. I’m kind of fascinated by that.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #345
brentandbecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post
I agree with this. Rookie lots, star lots and team sets will bring better returns. Less work, you don't need to look at those tiny numbers on the back
I used to agree about team sets but no longer, I rarely even do base team sets anymore
There are so many doing it, and often presales start at $1-$2 per team, and there are always 10-15 teams that never sell, ever, even at 99 cents

plus, team sets are actually more work than base sets since you have to sort the sets, then break back down into teams, then do way more shipping than say 1 base set
just my thoughts
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #346
MPCollectibles

I'm opening 5 cases of each next week I've always sold 25-30 sets to a couple local shops but they decided to buy cheaper off of eBay. What is the best way to move this much product? Selling individual team sets or would there be customers out there for 50 count lots of team sets?
MPCollectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #347
brentandbecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCollectibles View Post
I'm opening 5 cases of each next week I've always sold 25-30 sets to a couple local shops but they decided to buy cheaper off of eBay. What is the best way to move this much product? Selling individual team sets or would there be customers out there for 50 count lots of team sets?
That's the crazy thing about how cheap sets are at this point, off ebay buyers pay more, most bulk buyers pay $24-$28 per set dlvd and buy huge qty and local is always a great option, be it shops or shows

But nowadays there are no magical answers anymore, way too much production and way too many of us break in bulk so it drives supply up and prices down

There are a few buyers for 50count team sets BUT only for a handful of teams
that's why I move away from team sets now, more work and tons of unsold

perhaps sell as sets or hold for series 2, or sell off ebay, or presale them
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #348
Rufusyo

Sadly the card shop here is out of business. At least the one I went to. I always rip three cases of Jumbo. I decided to switch to Hobby this year. Before the news of the odds because of a few different factors. I too will be trying to sell sets elsewhere as I sold a good chunk to my lcs at a very fair price for him.

It is going to be weird opening 10 times the packs. My kids like to help, so having hobby will be a little easier for them to try and rip.
Rufusyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #349
mattglet

Sort of off-topic, but maybe not really What's the best way to ship sets/bulk amounts of cards? If you have a (for example) 400 count box, what do you do to keep the cards from smashing horizontal (right edge of card against top flap of box) and vertical (top/bottom of card against the sides)?

Creator of ListingAlarm - a tool that is better than eBay's Saved Searches! https://www.listingalarm.com
mattglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 AM   #350
clocsta2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattglet View Post
Sort of off-topic, but maybe not really What's the best way to ship sets/bulk amounts of cards? If you have a (for example) 400 count box, what do you do to keep the cards from smashing horizontal (right edge of card against top flap of box) and vertical (top/bottom of card against the sides)?
Flatten packing peanuts and insert between cards and box on at least 1 side so cards dont move. Then lay a few fluffy packing peanuts on top of cards and close box
clocsta2323 is offline   Reply With Quote