Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 04-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
RobHW

Default To Clean And Press Or Not?

This might be a newbie question but should I have comics sent to CGC for grading include the clean and press option? My comics are from the early to mid 70's and have not been graded. But I bought most of them from the drug store and treated them with care so mostly they look nice - what we called excellent to mint back in those days. But I see that a tiny bump in grade makes a big difference.
RobHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
IndySportsCards

It's really a case by case issue. If they're high dollar books and you're in no hurry, let CGC press 'em if you see any page bend, dents, bumps, crinkles.. it does make a HUGE difference in value with your graded books.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
rainmaker

what are the key books you have? from there we can help determine if its worth the time. pressing a giant size xmen that may be a 7.0 and turning into an 8.5 is well worth it. To be fair there unless its a bump to 9.6 or 9.8 most books from the 70s aren't really worth the time and costs.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:33 PM   #4
RobHW

Conan the Barbarian 1 through 50. Thor 130 through 165. Nova 1 and 2. Silver Surfer 1 through 18.

Last edited by RobHW; 04-08-2021 at 10:45 PM.
RobHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
bleh

conan #1, nova #1, ss #1, ss #3, and ss#4 would be candidates to grade for me. if you had pictures, it would help too. i generally don't press/dry clean books if the defects are greater than the non-defects.

defects: rusty staple, color breaking ticks and/or folds, tears, rounded corners, stains
non-defects: anything non-color breaking like a light fold, spine roll, coffee mug imprint ()

also, send me a PM if you want to sell that ss #4. it's my favorite cover of all time
bleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
blackbears86

It's really hard to answer your question without pics.

What bleh mentioned above are good recommendations, but others could also be worth it like Conan #4 and #24, and some of the other Silver surfer issues.

It all depends on the defect of each specific book.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #7
jduds

Wasn't/isn't there someone on here that does cleaning and pressing along with submitting? I've got a few I'm getting ready to send off and was wondering if I should just use CGCs services or use one of the outside guys.
jduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:44 PM   #8
bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduds View Post
Wasn't/isn't there someone on here that does cleaning and pressing along with submitting? I've got a few I'm getting ready to send off and was wondering if I should just use CGCs services or use one of the outside guys.
CGC's turnaround time is terrible right now, CCS (pressing services) included!
bleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:46 PM   #9
jduds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh View Post
CGC's turnaround time is terrible right now, CCS (pressing services) included!
Nothing I am submitting needs to be turned around quickly, but how long are they delayed? If they are meeting their stated delayed times on their website that's nothing compared to cards. I've been surprised at CBCS prices realized on Ebay recently and have been wondering about them, but all my books are in CGC holders and I remember there was some reason I didn't trust CBCS, but don't recall what it was. It might've just been that they used to sell horribly.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduds View Post
Nothing I am submitting needs to be turned around quickly, but how long are they delayed? If they are meeting their stated delayed times on their website that's nothing compared to cards. I've been surprised at CBCS prices realized on Ebay recently and have been wondering about them, but all my books are in CGC holders and I remember there was some reason I didn't trust CBCS, but don't recall what it was. It might've just been that they used to sell horribly.
They're backed up on everything, from receiving orders, to checking orders in, to pressing, to pre-screening them, to shipping them. I don't think they really understood what the effects of both taking all con-signings in house, as well as opening up to card grading would do to their existing business.

They do however get things done but just takes much longer now. They won't give you actual times either, just "estimates" that constantly change and there is no real accountability other than you'll eventually get your stuff back.

It's always been that way with CGC but in the past turnaround times were not this bad. It's also not surprising to hear that a buddy who submitted comics 3 weeks ago already got his back. They make mistakes in how/who/which orders they grade, and it's not necessarily 1st in, 1st out either. I've just learned to deal with it and be patient as I believe CGC is the PSA of comics in regards to resale value, so the wait is worth it.

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 04-24-2021 at 10:28 AM.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #11
jduds

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
They're backed up on everything, from receiving orders, to checking orders in, to pressing, to pre-screening them, to shipping them. I don't think they really understood what the effects of both taking all con-signings in house, as well as opening up to card grading would do to their existing business.

They do however get things done but just takes much longer now. They won't give you actual times either, just "estimates" that constantly change and there is no real accountability other than you'll eventually get your stuff back.

It's always been that way with CGC but in the past turnaround times were not this bad. It's also not surprising to hear that a buddy who submitted comics 3 weeks ago already got his back. They make mistakes in how/who/which orders they grade, and it's not necessarily 1st in, 1st out either. I've just learned to deal with it and be patient as I believe CGC is the PSA of comics in regards to resale value, so the wait is worth it.
That's kind of what I figured. CBCS looks backed up as well and I'd prefer CGC. Most of what I want to submit are PC books that I'm not worried about how long it takes or books that I think will continue to go up in value so a delay should work in my favor anyways,