Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bowman draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

Notices

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #51
quackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik101 View Post
Nice!
quackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #52
Moose48

I was kind of disgusted with the whole thing, including both Serena's, and the crowd's, reaction.

Regarding the coaching item. Fine, they all cheat, you got caught, called out, whatever you want to say. You know what, that doesn't mean your coach wasn't breaking the rule. I coach and officiate volleyball, one of the most frustrating things is judgement calls not being called (or perceived as being called) equally. However, whether she saw him attempting to break the rules or not is irrelevant. If the umpire saw it, it counts, and Serena, being a professional, should know the rules and their potential impact, which lead to the penalty point. I have long thought this whole "no coaching" thing was ridiculous, especially when it's allowed at other tournaments. Time for a rule change, but again, that doesn't mean it wasn't a violation here.

As for the game violation. Everyone wants to focus on the words, but they're not everything. Her body language, and the accusatory tone play a big part too. The fact she demanded he apologize to her, and demanded she make an announcement to the crowd were very bad. How do you think an MLB umpire would react if a player came up to the plate and said, "you better call these pitches fairly, or you're stealing this at bat from me, just like you stole the last one". I guarantee you if he so much as turns towards the umpire on a pitch, he's tossed immediately.

And now the "I'm a mother" comment. My first thought was, I'm a father, and I lie all the time. She's supposed to somehow be above reproach because she's a mother. Then SHE has the gall to scream sexism? The only person who brought up sexism is her!

The later arguments about "guys do much worse" in stark contrast to her "I'm a mother" comment as well. Two wrongs don't make a right. Sure, maybe they do act worse, but right now the only people showing evidence are posting clips of McEnroe from 30 years ago. I've also seen some calling Ramos' actions racist, while in the same breath saying he couldn't handle an "angry black woman". Are they seriously that out of touch that they don't realize they were the only person to invoke race?

Rant over...for now. Ha, ha.

Card Apps: UNIVBFAN on Bunt & Huddle, UNIVBFAN1 on SWCT, SLAM & TWD
Moose48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #53
no10pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose48 View Post

The later arguments about "guys do much worse" in stark contrast to her "I'm a mother" comment as well. Two wrongs don't make a right. Sure, maybe they do act worse, but right now the only people showing evidence are posting clips of McEnroe from 30 years ago. I've also seen some calling Ramos' actions racist, while in the same breath saying he couldn't handle an "angry black woman". Are they seriously that out of touch that they don't realize they were the only person to invoke race?
Right, and when they show those McEnroe clips they forget to mention that A) he was once suspended for 2 months due to verbal abuse during the US Open and B) he was once disqualified from the Australian Open due to racquet and verbal abuse. Can you imagine what would be happening right now if Serena had gotten suspended from this?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #54
sak0309

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
Did you hear about this 'cartoon' in an Australian paper?.....
I removed it
It looked ok to me. Cartoon subjects are always drawn with exaggerated features. Has nothing to do with race or gender. No different than cartoon figures of Trump, Obama, Bush, etc.
sak0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #55
Bulls90s

I thought the cartoon picture was racist..she does not have enlarged lips.

Urban Meyer is a serial liar --Deadspin
Bulls90s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #56
BGT Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls90s View Post
Everything these days is racist, sexist, whatever-ist. I used to enjoy routing for Serena. It was nice to have great American tennis players to cheer for but I just have a hard time cheering for her anymore because of her antics and how she thinks she is entitled to be allowed to treat people with such a lack of respect.

I'm not above a racket smash, I get fired up playing anything competitive given the right moment, but treating the people the way she does and then being shocked and playing the victim when she gets punished for it is beyond my comprehension.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #57
mnvikingstwins

The cartoon was pretty accurate, she had that exact pose and he used similar art on Kyrgios.

Not sure how it's possible to defend Serena's actions. She kept harassing the umpire about "you owe me an apology" and then "you're a thief" is both using personal language and questioning integrity, which any other sport would be an automatic ejection. Umpire followed the conduct rules for tennis of warning/point/game. And now he's not getting support from the tennis higher-ups, there was a story that other umpires were considering boycotting Serena's matches as a result.

Then playing the gender card she just looks like a sore loser who is getting to be past her prime.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #58
Bulls90s

Here's what Novak Djokovic said after winning men's final:

“I have my personal opinion that maybe the chair umpire should not have pushed Serena to the limit, especially in a Grand Slam final … He did change the course of the match. It was, in my opinion, maybe unnecessary. We all go through our emotions, especially when you’re fighting for a Grand Slam trophy.”

I agree with the male champion...he defended her and you can clearly see why.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #59
dherm360

She was outplayed and looked for a way out
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #60
NoleinJax

Quote:
Do you know what a caricature is?

a picture, description, or imitation of a person or thing in which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #61
NoleinJax

Quote:

“I have my personal opinion that maybe the chair umpire should not have pushed Serena to the limit, especially in a Grand Slam final … He did change the course of the match. It was, in my opinion, maybe unnecessary. We all go through our emotions, especially when you’re fighting for a Grand Slam trophy.”

How did he change the course of the match though? The match was going for Osaka and Osaka won. I'm not a fan of penalties like that when single points can be so competitive, but them's the rules.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #62
LincecumPC

Quote:

What else is Novak going to say? If he said Serena was in the wrong, he would get so much flak from her and players on tour for throwing her under the bus. Novak doesn't need that negativity so he really only has one response to give when asked about the Serena situation.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #63
Moose48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincecumPC View Post
What else is Novak going to say? If he said Serena was in the wrong, he would get so much flak from her and players on tour for throwing her under the bus. Novak doesn't need that negativity so he really only has one response to give when asked about the Serena situation.
Exactly! If he says anything else, he will be brand a racist/sexist pig, thereby confirming that the racist/sexist males can get away with anything.

As someone else said too, how did he push Serena? I did not see any yelling on his part, I didn't see him tell her to sit down and shut up, I didn't hear him says "yes you are" when she said she wasn't a cheater. People are pinning all the "he made it worse" on the fact that he called the game according to the rules.

Card Apps: UNIVBFAN on Bunt & Huddle, UNIVBFAN1 on SWCT, SLAM & TWD
Moose48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #64
Rabs

Am I the only one that thinks Serena will gain about 100 pounds of fat when she retires?

"But I'm a mother!"
Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #65
Bulls90s

Whatever...

He defended her b/c he wanted to..He could've said no comments or decline to speak about it. He wanted Serena to know he's got her back. Im sorry you dont agree with him.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #66
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Serena will gain about 100 pounds of fat when she retires?

"But I'm a mother!"
Yes, you are the only one.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #67
coltsnsox07

My goodness, I had no idea who Serena was married to.....("Internet Entrepreneur" & Redditt co-founder Alexis Ohanian)
http://491770765NC00024_The_18th_A by tod wacko, on Flickr
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #68
northwellguy

So if I criticize Serena for acting like a 5 year old I am basically a racist?

Is that correct?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #69
Orangejello727

Serena had a lapse in judgement during this match. She was upset and emotional. When people are upset, emotional and feel things are not going to plan, they lash out of character. That is exactly what happen here. The composure was back after the match was over and more calm and collected. Instead of understanding the characteristics of what happens when people are upset and irate during a moment of rage, fans choose to focus on the negative and latch on to it.

She wasnt upset that she was going to lose. She has nothing to prove with her 20+ grand slam titles. This one wasnt going to cement her legacy or give her any sort of fame that she already has. She was upset at the moment of not being in control. When that happens, people lash out and say and do things that they would not normally do. Its a human characteristic. You ever get upset and say garbage you dont mean? Of course you do. Thats what happen here.

The mother part was reaching. She needed something to latch onto while being upset. In hindsight, she would take it back, but never tell anyone.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #70
LincecumPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Serena had a lapse in judgement during this match. She was upset and emotional. When people are upset, emotional and feel things are not going to plan, they lash out of character. That is exactly what happen here. The composure was back after the match was over and more calm and collected. Instead of understanding the characteristics of what happens when people are upset and irate during a moment of rage, fans choose to focus on the negative and latch on to it.

She wasnt upset that she was going to lose. She has nothing to prove with her 20+ grand slam titles. This one wasnt going to cement her legacy or give her any sort of fame that she already has. She was upset at the moment of not being in control. When that happens, people lash out and say and do things that they would not normally do. Its a human characteristic. You ever get upset and say garbage you dont mean? Of course you do. Thats what happen here.

The mother part was reaching. She needed something to latch onto while being upset. In hindsight, she would take it back, but never tell anyone.
Totally agree on all of us having been there before and saying things we regretted after being emotional. But from I saw at the presser, Serena never sincerely apologized for her actions, towards the umpire or for killing Osaka's moment. I'd absolve Serena if she owned up to it but she's too proud a person to do that. I think she recognized that she robbed Osaka's shining moment, but unless I missed something, she never directly apologized for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwellguy View Post

Is that correct?
No you're being sexist.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #71
majestik101

She's a mother. All mothers are off limits, it doesn't matter how deplorable and embarrassing her actions were... she's a mother, you all don't understand
Old 09-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #72
mnvikingstwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwellguy View Post

Is that correct?
And sexist, double whammy. She's also a mother, so maternalist
Old 09-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #73
jrg1128

Quote:

People are just tired of the sexist, racist, etc. epidemic. Good peoples names are being squashed for nothing other than people not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions.
jrg1128 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #74
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg1128 View Post
People are just tired of the sexist, racist, etc. epidemic. Good peoples names are being squashed for nothing other than people not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions.
I think the umpire purposely antagonized her to get her to that boiling point. He could have easily taken a different approach and made the situation subtle. EXACTLY what you guys are asking Serena to have done.

It was the umpires 15 min of fame. He got what he wanted to put a self centered tennis star in her place, to show no one is above the game itself. Unfortunately, she will move on from it and get titles, money and notoriety. He will be semi selective of the matches he gets and nothing else. Was it really worth it?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #75
LincecumPC

Quote:
I think the umpire purposely antagonized her to get her to that boiling point. He could have easily taken a different approach and made the situation subtle. EXACTLY what you guys are asking Serena to have done.

It was the umpires 15 min of fame. He got what he wanted to put a self centered tennis star in her place, to show no one is above the game itself. Unfortunately, she will move on from it and get titles, money and notoriety. He will be semi selective of the matches he gets and nothing else. Was it really worth it?
What did he say to purposely antagonize her?