Wave 11

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #26
ewilkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links242 View Post
Is it me or the returns Sens received for a player of Karlsson's caliber low?

After seeing the whole breakdown. I wished the Rangers got him.
I was thinking the same thing. (Well, minus the Rangers part).
I can't believe they waited this long then traded him for that package. Especially to the Sharks that already fleeced the Sens once this offseason with the Mike Hoffman flip
ewilkens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #27
dantheman514

I think the biggest winner here may be the Avalanche since they own the Sens first round pick, and the Sens may have the worst record in the league next season.
dantheman514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #28
Links242

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilkens View Post
I was thinking the same thing. (Well, minus the Rangers part).
I can't believe they waited this long then traded him for that package. Especially to the Sharks that already fleeced the Sens once this offseason with the Mike Hoffman flip
100%
And to think Karlsson is in his prime. Only 28.
Links242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #29
northwellguy
Banned

You cannot blame the Sens management - Karlsson wanted out... period

Too much crap in the locker room last year and this year as players basically hated each other - Mike Hoffman was a jacka$$ - everyone hated him especially Karlsson - and everyone blamed Karlsson for basically mailing it in last year. They got what they could since everyone knew it and the Sens were basically screwed as you can't negotiate well when the other guy knows your hand.

As for the 20/20 monday moring qb'ing on the Avs getting the Sens 1st pick - well that was for Duchene who moved to the Sens 2 years ago and everyone thought the Sens got a great deal at the time as they were going for the playoffs. Now, of course, all the idiot talking heads "forget" that they said that when the deal was made.

Crap happens. I think the Sens are dealing with it.
northwellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
ewilkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwellguy View Post

Too much crap in the locker room last year and this year as players basically hated each other - Mike Hoffman was a jacka$$ - everyone hated him especially Karlsson - and everyone blamed Karlsson for basically mailing it in last year. They got what they could since everyone knew it and the Sens were basically screwed as you can't negotiate well when the other guy knows your hand.

As for the 20/20 monday moring qb'ing on the Avs getting the Sens 1st pick - well that was for Duchene who moved to the Sens 2 years ago and everyone thought the Sens got a great deal at the time as they were going for the playoffs. Now, of course, all the idiot talking heads "forget" that they said that when the deal was made.

I have this wacky idea the Sens could have tried to maximize value on Karlsson… trade him last year. When we first knew he wanted out. And teams would probably give more value to get 2 guaranteed playoff runs with Karlsson instead of just one.

As for Duchene, I assume you mean 10 months instead of 2 years... He was traded to the Sens last November. I understand trades go bad sometimes, but the Sens also made it worse because they could have given up this year's first instead of the 2019 1st. Which they probably should have done, especially if they knew they'd be trading their best players and potentially getting worse.
ewilkens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #31
GoJays

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwellguy View Post

By all accounts Karlsson didn't want out of town, though. He's built a home and a family here, and, now that Hoffman is gone, the locker room toxicity element had diminished. The issue was Melnyk making it clear that he would not pay him. Whether it meant trading him or letting him walk, the team would not pay for the contract he deserved.

Had the team been sold, Karlsson would still be a Senator, and that's what makes the situation so ridiculous. Finding elite players to stay in small Canadian markets is difficult, yet Karlsson intended to spend his career here. That Melnyk has now run the two best players in franchise history out of town over money speaks wonders to how pathetic he is, and how awful the situation will continue to be until he sells the team.

You're spot on about Dorion's hand being shown. San Jose somehow managed to keep their top two prospects in acquiring a top-five player on the planet. When your owner releases a video claiming that the team needs to rebuild and insisting that they will move their top stars, offers will decrease.

I thought the day Alfredsson signed with Detroit was bad, but the fanbase is having a crisis right now. The entire city hates Melnyk, and I would imagine the feeling is mutual. I've attended 10+ games in years past, but won't go to a single one this season. I'm anxious to see how "starving him out" goes, and hope attendance drops below 10,000/game. This could prove to be one of the worst trades in NHL history.

Edit: I agree about the Duchene deal as well. The Sens overachieved in 2017, but their roster looked primed for a playoff run when trading for Duchene. That deal wasn't nearly as bad at the time.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #32
RiceBondsMT2Yng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links242 View Post
Is it me or the returns Sens received for a player of Karlsson's caliber low?

After seeing the whole breakdown. I wished the Rangers got him.
It’s low for sure. Key reasons why:
-Sens didn’t consider any teams from the East and in fact built it into the trade
-Karlsson had a list of acceptable teams
-He’s under contract for 1 more year and refused to sign an ext, so he’s a rental
-Most teams think they have as good a shot when he hits UFA, no worse than trying to persuade him to sign an extension in, say, Dallas.

Sens get a gritty depth center, a marginal starting dman, two middling prospects, a low 2nd 2019, a low 1st 2020, and probably a low 1st or 2nd in 2021

Last edited by RiceBondsMT2Yng; 09-14-2018 at 05:52 PM.
RiceBondsMT2Yng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:01 AM   #33
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBondsMT2Yng View Post
Probably more money than literally anywhere else in the world. But the province of Ontario, where Ottawa is, has more hockey card collectors than all 50 American states combined.
Yeah that's why the Spezza and Alfredsson cards get such top dollar.
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:38 AM   #34
RiceBondsMT2Yng

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
Yeah that's why the Spezza and Alfredsson cards get such top dollar.
I thought it was understood that the player had to be good too.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #35
ih8ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Not for hockey cards...
Some of the best hockey card collections in the world are in CA.
ih8ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #36
cking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBondsMT2Yng View Post
I thought it was understood that the player had to be good too.
If you dont think Daniel Alfredsson was a good hockey player then you must have some bad eye sight.
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #37
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
If you dont think Daniel Alfredsson was a good hockey player then you must have some bad eye sight.
Or Spezza, spent his first 11 seasons in Ottawa and was a point per game career player for them. Alfredsson was a 9 time all-star and possible future hall of fame player. Arguably the two best Ottawa players before Karlsson and they never got any strong hobby love from their fans
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #38
RiceBondsMT2Yng

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
Or Spezza, spent his first 11 seasons in Ottawa and was a point per game career player for them. Alfredsson was a 9 time all-star and possible future hall of fame player. Arguably the two best Ottawa players before Karlsson and they never got any strong hobby love from their fans
Yeah and I remember Heatley from those days too. They get about as much hobby love as Patrick Marleau from my fave team. They're all in the hall of very good, that's all anyone can say for sure. EK65 is a superstar. For once, the hobby tracks impact and talent of a player.

Maybe Patty and Alfie get in just on their importance to the SJ Ottawa franchises alone, but Karlsson is next next level.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #39
k13

So far...no impact...
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #40
gonzagacubs

Quote:
So far...no impact...
I mean, you could have at least waited until the All-Star break.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #41
mfw13

Quote:
So far...no impact...
Conclusion reached based on what?

The fact that the Sharks lost a Columbus Day game taking place at 10am body time to the Islanders?
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #42
Screamer

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Quote:
So far...no impact...
Someone really hates themself
ALEX TUCH Young Guns
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #43
pgisback

Sharks taking out all their frustration on the flyers.
Nikita Kucherov RCs/On Card Autos
pgisback is online now   Reply With Quote