Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-26-2023, 09:07 PM   #1
BobCollects

Default 2023 Upper Deck Marvel Premier

I couldn't find a thread for this set. No presales yet but listings are up at Blowout and at least one competitor with a release date of 8/24/2023.

Quote:
5 cards per pack.
1 pack per box/tin.

Each pack comes in a collectible tin which also contains 1 booklet, 3-panel, 4-panel, or 5”x 7” oversized original 1-of-1 sketch cards! Collect the 50 Card Base Set, numbered, with all new original art! Look for 5 tiers of numbered Base Set Parallels, each varying in rarity!
  • Blue Deco Foil
  • Red Deco Foil
  • Gold Spectrum Foil
  • Purple Spectrum Foil
  • Black #’d to 1
  • Discover a Base Set Variant card with 1 of 1 Sketch Art backgrounds!
Search for Shawdowbox cards with replicated pieces of classic art paired with a Marvel Hero characters!
  • Find SP and SSP versions of these Shadowbox cards!
Grab Breakout insert highlighting character charging through walls!
  • Discover SP and SSP versions!

TIN HITS (ON AVERAGE)
  • 1 Booklet, 3-Panel, 4-Panel, or 5” x 7” Oversized Sketch Card
  • 1 Base Set Character- inspired Sketch Card
  • 2 Serial Numbered or Foil Base Set Parallel Cards
  • 1 Classic Art Shadowbox, SP, or SSP Card
50 CARD BASE SET #’d to 99:
  • All new Original Art!
  • Entire Base Set Art illustrated via collaboration between artists Vinz El Tabanas and Batsky!
BASE SET PARALLELS:
  • Blue #’d to 49
  • Red Foil #’d to 25
  • Gold Spectrum #’d to 15
  • Purple Foil #’d to 10
  • Black Foil #’d to 1
Blowout box preorder listing: https://www.blowoutcards.com/2023-up...cards-box.html
Blowout case preorder listing: https://www.blowoutcards.com/pre-ord...-box-case.html
Beckett: https://www.beckett.com/news/2023-up...arvel-premier/
Cardboard Connection: https://www.cardboardconnection.com/...-trading-cards
BobCollects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:14 PM   #2
1992UDFootball

Upper Deck is putting Breakouts in Marvel Premier?

Aren't Breakouts those cheap ass inserts from Hockey and AEW?
1992UDFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 07:55 PM   #3
mvp

Presales started recently around $600. What’s the vibe on this?

It’s the first sketch focused set since Marvel cards took off again. I’m fact, it’ll be the first set for a lot of collectors, like myself, where there are guaranteed sketches. Two with an oversized, no less.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:53 PM   #4
BobCollects

Isn’t that higher than the first presales for 2023 Marvel Masterpieces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BobCollects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #5
DynaEtch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
Presales started recently around $600. What’s the vibe on this?

It’s the first sketch focused set since Marvel cards took off again. I’m fact, it’ll be the first set for a lot of collectors, like myself, where there are guaranteed sketches. Two with an oversized, no less.
I need to see the average sketch quality after the set releases to really get any sort of vibe. I thought the last MP was a step down from previous MP sets. New Marvel Masterpieces set also step down from previous MM sets. I have no reason to expect this to be otherwise.

To the above, yes MM opened at 500 for presale and this is more. Deservedly imo, as it is supposed to be the elite sketch card product and highest end product. But when you're talking $600 for 5 cards, or $120 a card...seems like it'll be hard to come out ahead when opening. Sketch-wise, it is very hard to sell a sketch for $300+...and it usually has to be a from a big name artist. With $600....it's so much easier to cherry-pick nice panel sketch singles rather than go for a random one which very possibly could be a dud.

Of course I say this...and it already appears to be sold out on the some of the major retailers for presale. State of marvel cards I guess.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
Rictor

It was hard to justify the price when MP was $300/box and MM was $250.
Rictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:28 AM   #7
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rictor View Post
It was hard to justify the price when MP was $300/box and MM was $250.
I recall opening a lot of 2012 at $180 since my LCS ordered some on accident and just wanted to get rid of them. It was such an awesome product at the time when sketch cards weren't as plentiful and the quality was top notch. This at $500 plus just is insane to me.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:44 AM   #8
cmixer

"Discover a Base Set Variant card with 1 of 1 Sketch Art backgrounds!"

This sounds new ... is this just "painted backgrounds" (meaning solid color)?
cmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:12 AM   #9
DynaEtch

Default 2023 Upper Deck Marvel Premier

Looking at the sell sheets…yea I dunno. Can’t really see the value there at 600.

I know where the value will lie with many people gobbling up the presale- they want to get in on presale early for the price to then go up, at which point their box is worth more, for flipping. Seems to be what’s happening with these major marvel releases now.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:27 PM   #10
glorbgorb

I've had completed APs from a couple of different artists for probably 18-months now. It's about time this came out.

This has always been a weird set to me. I am not a fan of anything other than standard-size cards. That means I'm not into any 2-/3-/or 4-panel cards, and not the 5x7s either. But then UD also dictates what is on the majority of the cards, so it creates a glut of certain characters. Such a weird set to me.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:12 PM   #11
DynaEtch

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbgorb View Post
I've had completed APs from a couple of different artists for probably 18-months now. It's about time this came out.

This has always been a weird set to me. I am not a fan of anything other than standard-size cards. That means I'm not into any 2-/3-/or 4-panel cards, and not the 5x7s either. But then UD also dictates what is on the majority of the cards, so it creates a glut of certain characters. Such a weird set to me.
I can get where you're coming from....after all it's trading cards most of us are collecting.

Im going to play a bit of devil's advocate and say I actually like the panels. It allows for more versatility with the bigger art, wider scenes, and is preferable to a puzzle sketch, not having to deal with the clumsiness and difficulty of displaying them together (such as using painters tape on the backs to connect etc). I like the panel being a singular unit and it looks great in those frame holders hardball34 makes on ebay. Plus the whole concept of 2 sketches for one, front and back....surprised they havent tried that on a regular size sketch yet!
Old 08-23-2023, 06:20 PM   #12
PurplesaurusRex

You don't really hear much about the numbered cards in Marvel Premier sets. Are they in demand with collectors? At 5 cards per pack, these tins don't seem like a great value. The sketches might be worth around $200-300?
PurplesaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:26 PM   #13
DynaEtch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplesaurusRex View Post
You don't really hear much about the numbered cards in Marvel Premier sets. Are they in demand with collectors? At 5 cards per pack, these tins don't seem like a great value. The sketches might be worth around $200-300?
I always felt they were more of a sideshow to the main attraction of the sketches in Premier.

It's not like the parallel/pmg madness you see in sets like Metal for whatever reason. Perhaps because Premier has traditionally been an art set, and not as much targeted by the sports crowd which goes after sets like Metal because of the flashy parallels and inserts taken from sports. That being said, a Wolverine /5 or /25 in Premier will surely still do ok.

I agree I think value will be tough to recoup at 600. It's very hard to sell a sketch card for many hundreds of dollars.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:13 PM   #14
Xazark

this is a strange set to order at such a high price, 3 base/insert cards and 2 sketches for $600 - definite pass for me. The sketches are cool and all but you would be 10 times better off just commissioning sketches than to gamble at a chance to get a huge sketch artist that could maybe get the box price back. I can't imagine many artists or sketches would possible justify the box price.
Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:17 PM   #15
Xazark

Quote:
Marvel Premier trading cards arrive in hobby shops this October! Sketch card collectors rejoice, as each tin contains on average 1 booklet, 3-panel, 4-panel, or 5x7 oversized sketch card! This premium set also features Shadowbox cards that showcase the unique layers of the art process leading to the final image. Plus, check out all new Breakout insert where your favorite characters charge through walls and into your collection. Enjoy the preview below!
Upperdeck just posted on Facebook that this will be in Hobby shops in Oct with the below preview images. Still not buying into this but thought others might be interested.

Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:59 PM   #16
glorbgorb

Lydi Li, Fred.Ian--I really hope people don't think those are typical pulls. They will be sorely disappointed.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:14 PM   #17
DynaEtch

Agreed, not typical at all.

Not speaking to the specific sketches shown here, but just in general MP has decreased in average sketch quality (for example in the last MP set) compared to earlier MP sets. The irony is that the price of a tin has done the exact opposite of that and keeps rising with every release, to the ridiculous price of $600 or whatever it is now.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:03 PM   #18
Malavon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaEtch View Post
Agreed, not typical at all.

Not speaking to the specific sketches shown here, but just in general MP has decreased in average sketch quality (for example in the last MP set) compared to earlier MP sets. The irony is that the price of a tin has done the exact opposite of that and keeps rising with every release, to the ridiculous price of $600 or whatever it is now.
Found my invoice for a case of 2017 Marvel Premier at $1200 for a 6-box case. I don't think I could justify buying even a single box at a $600 MSRP.
Malavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:30 PM   #19
finfangfan

I think the first MP set might have had the best quality sketches top to bottom of any of the sets. But some “uggos” always creep in each release.

The MP that I collected most heavily was MP14. It was actually a slow seller out of the gate and Ian was able to do quite a few box breaks here on Blowout before it dried up. Those box breaks were pretty fun! I doubt I could afford a box break this go around… I’ll just pick up singles I like on COMC.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 02:02 AM   #20
nabzy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malavon View Post
Found my invoice for a case of 2017 Marvel Premier at $1200 for a 6-box case. I don't think I could justify buying even a single box at a $600 MSRP.
2012 MP sat at distributors for so long, it had enough time to clear UD's sale policy. $100+/boxes of non-sports cards was considered absolutely nuts, back then. I remember having to think it over whether or not I should pick one up.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #21
daviswr7

I still have a sealed case of 2014 Marvel Premier...will def try a few boxes of this.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #22
ifish73

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
I still have a sealed case of 2014 Marvel Premier...will def try a few boxes of this.
What don't you have unopened product of?
Old 09-28-2023, 08:46 PM   #23
DynaEtch

Dang I wish I had random cases of Marvel Premier sitting around

I’d be way too tempted with that
Old 09-29-2023, 06:11 AM   #24
hobbystuff

The only time I was sitting on a sealed case of anything was Star Wars Galaxy 6 cause I new that product would increase in demand & price.Actually kept it sealed for about 6 hrs before I opened it back in the day.That was a record for me.
So impossible for me to keep stuff sealed.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:29 PM   #25
JetsFan42

Has anyone opened a box here of 2023 (2021)? I ask because I have one arriving tomorrow
JetsFan42 is offline   Reply With Quote